PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Policy

AFCAS TARGET
3rd Jul 2006, 13:53
Can someone point me in the right direction for JAR fuel policy. I have scoured the JARs online and found the basic one but I hear other people talk about it differently, espically when its comes to the FMS. So is it enough fuel to arrive overhead at cruise alt. then divert directly to your alternate and land with 30 minutes. What about using the other runway as the alternate??? As said searched the JARs and here but cannot find the one document to prove me wrong.:ugh: Any help with a linked would be very grateful.

FlapsOne
3rd Jul 2006, 15:26
No too sure how much you want, but here is a big cut 'n paste.
What you do with the FMC has nothing to do with the JAA.
AMC OPS 1.255
Fuel Policy
See JAR-OPS 1.255
An operator should base the company fuel policy, including calculation of the amount of fuel to be carried, on the following planning criteria:
1 The amount of:
1.1 Taxy fuel, which should not be less than the amount, expected to be used prior to take-off. Local
conditions at the departure aerodrome and APU consumption should be taken into account.
1.2 Trip fuel, which should include:
a. Fuel for take-off and climb from aerodrome elevation to initial cruising level/altitude, taking into
account the expected departure routing;
b. Fuel from top of climb to top of descent, including any step climb/descent;
c. Fuel from top of descent to the point where the approach is initiated, taking into account the
expected arrival procedure; and
d. Fuel for approach and landing at the destination aerodrome.
1.3 Contingency fuel, which should be the higher of (a) or (b) below:
a. Either:
i. 5% of the planned trip fuel or, in the event of in-flight replanning, 5% of the trip fuel for the
remainder of the flight; or
ii. Not less than 3% of the planned trip fuel or, in the event of in-flight replanning, 3% of the trip fuel
for the remainder of the flight, [ ] provided that an en-route alternate is available [according to ACJ OPS
1.295], or
iii. An amount of fuel sufficient for 20 minutes flying time based upon the planned trip fuel
consumption provided that the operator has established a fuel consumption monitoring programme for
individual aeroplanes and uses valid data determined by means of such a programme for fuel calculation; or
iv. [An amount of fuel based on a statistical method approved by the Authority which ensures an
appropriate statistical coverage of the deviation from the planned to the actual trip fuel. This method is
used to monitor the fuel consumption on each city pair/aeroplane combination and the operator uses this
data for a statistical analysis to calculate contingency fuel for that city pair/aeroplane combination.]
[Note:
1. As an example, the following values of statistical coverage of the deviation from the planned to the actual trip fuel
have been agreed:
a. 99% coverage plus 3% of the trip fuel, if the calculated flight time is less than 2 hours, or more than 2 hours and no
suitable en-route alternate is available;
b. 99% coverage if the calculated flight time is more than 2 hours and a suitable en-route alternate is available;
c. 90% coverage if:
i. the calculated flight time is more than 2 hours; and
ii. a suitable en-route alternate is available; and ]
[ iii. at the destination aerodrome 2 separate runways are available and useable, one of which is equipped with an
ILS/MLS, and the weather conditions are in compliance with JAR-OPS 1.295(c)(1)(ii); or the ILS/MLS is operational to
Cat II/III operating minima and the weather conditions are at or above 500ft/2 500m.
2. The fuel consumption data base used in conjunction with these values is based on fuel consumption monitoring for
each route/aeroplane combination over a rolling two year period.]
b. An amount to fly for 5 minutes at holding speed at 1 500 ft (450 m), [6 000 ft (1 800m) for Concorde
operations,] above the destination aerodrome in Standard Conditions.
1.4 Alternate fuel, which should be sufficient for:
a. A missed approach from the applicable MDA/DH at the destination aerodrome to missed approach
altitude, taking into account the complete missed approach procedure;
b. A climb from missed approach altitude to cruising level/altitude;
c. The cruise from top of climb to top of descent;
d. Descent from top of descent to the point where the approach is initiated, taking into account the
expected arrival procedure; and
e. Executing an approach and landing at the destination alternate aerodrome selected in accordance
with JAR-OPS 1.295.
f. If, in accordance with JAR-OPS 1.295(d), two destination alternates are required, alternate fuel
should be sufficient to proceed to the alternate which requires the greater amount of alternate fuel.
1.5 Final reserve fuel, which should be:
a. For aeroplanes with reciprocating engines, fuel to fly for 45 minutes; or
b. For aeroplanes with turbine power units, fuel to fly for 30 minutes at holding speed at 1 500 ft
(450 m) above aerodrome elevation in standard conditions, calculated with the estimated mass on arrival at
the alternate or the destination, when no alternate is required.
1.6 With the exception of Concorde operations, the minimum additional fuel which should permit:
a. Holding for 15 minutes at 1 500 ft (450 m) above aerodrome elevation in standard conditions, when
a flight is operated [ ] without a destination alternate [ ]; and
b. Following the possible failure of a power unit or loss of pressurisation, based on the assumption
that such a failure occurs at the most critical point along the route, the aeroplane to:
i. Descend as necessary and proceed to an adequate aerodrome; and
ii. Hold there for 15 minutes at 1 500 ft (450 m) above aerodrome elevation in standard conditions;
and
iii. Make an approach and landing,
except that additional fuel is only required, if the minimum amount of fuel calculated in accordance with subparagraphs
1.2 to 1.5 above is not sufficient for such an event.
1.7 Extra fuel, which should be at the discretion of the commander.
2 Decision Point Procedure. If an operator’s fuel policy includes planning to a destination aerodrome
via a decision point along the route, the amount of fuel should be the greater of 2.1 or 2.2 below:
2.1 The sum of:
a. Taxy fuel;
b. Trip fuel to the destination aerodrome, via the decision point;
c. Contingency fuel equal to not less than 5% of the estimated fuel consumption from the decision
point to the destination aerodrome;
d. Alternate fuel, if a destination alternate is required;
e. Final reserve fuel;
f. Additional fuel; and
g. Extra fuel if required by the commander; or,
2.2 The sum of:
a. Taxy fuel;
b. The estimated fuel consumption from the departure aerodrome to a suitable en-route alternate, via
the decision point;
c. Contingency fuel equal to not less than 3% of the estimated fuel consumption from the departure
aerodrome to the en-route alternate;
d. Final reserve fuel;
e. Additional fuel; and
f. Extra fuel if required by the commander.
3 Isolated aerodrome procedure. If an operator’s fuel policy includes planning to an isolated
aerodrome for which a destination alternate does not exist, the amount of fuel at departure should include:
3.1 Taxy fuel;
3.2 Trip Fuel;
3.3 Contingency Fuel calculated in accordance with sub-paragraph 1.3 above;
3.4 Additional Fuel if required, but not less than:
a. For aeroplanes with reciprocating engines, fuel to fly for 45 minutes plus 15% of the flight time
planned to be spent at cruising level, or two hours, whichever is less; or
b. For aeroplanes with turbine engines, fuel to fly for two hours at normal cruise consumption after
arriving overhead the destination aerodrome, including final reserve fuel; and
3.5 Extra Fuel if required by the commander.
4 Pre-determined point procedure. If an operator’s fuel policy includes planning to a destination
alternate where the distance between the destination aerodrome and the destination alternate is such that a
flight can only be routed via a predetermined point to one of these aerodromes, the amount of fuel should
be the greater of (4.1) or (4.2) below:
4.1 The sum of:
a. Taxy Fuel;
b. Trip Fuel from the departure aerodrome to the destination aerodrome, via the predetermined point;
c. Contingency Fuel calculated in accordance with sub-paragraph 1.3 above;
d. Additional Fuel if required, but not less than:
i. For aeroplanes with reciprocating engines, fuel to fly for 45 minutes plus 15% of the flight time
planned to be spent at cruising level or two hours, whichever is less; or
ii. For aeroplanes with turbine engines, fuel to fly for two hours at normal cruise consumption after
arriving overhead the destination aerodrome,
including Final Reserve Fuel; and
e. Extra Fuel if required by the commander; or
4.2 The sum of:
a. Taxy Fuel;
b. Trip Fuel from the departure aerodrome to the alternate aerodrome, via the predetermined point;
c. Contingency Fuel calculated in accordance with sub-paragraph 1.3 above;
d. Additional Fuel if required, but not less than:
i. For aeroplanes with reciprocating engines: fuel to fly for 45 minutes; or
ii. For aeroplanes with turbine engines: fuel to fly for 30 minutes at holding speed at 1 500 ft (450 m)
above aerodrome elevation in standard conditions; including Final Reserve Fuel; and
e. Extra Fuel if required by the commander.
[Ch. 1, 01.03.98; Amdt. 3, 01.12.01]
IEM OPS 1.255(c)(3)(i)
Contingency Fuel
See JAR-OPS 1.255(c)(3)(i)
1 At the planning stage, not all factors which could have an influence on the fuel consumption to the
destination aerodrome can be foreseen. Therefore, contingency fuel is carried to compensate for items such
as:
i. Deviations of an individual aeroplane from the expected fuel consumption data;
ii. Deviations from forecast meteorological conditions; and
iii. Deviations from planned routings and/or cruising levels/altitudes.

AFCAS TARGET
3rd Jul 2006, 21:53
You the man, thanks for that, I see its in Section 2, no wonder I could never find it. Ah Europe just when you think ya have it sussed. Anyway do you a good link for section 2 as I see its not available on the JAA website. Thanks again!!!:D