PDA

View Full Version : BA B777 emergency(?) landing at ATH 29/6/2006

ThinkRate
30th Jun 2006, 10:17
Last night (29/6) around 2230L (1930Z) a BA B777-200 (Reg G-VIIH) landed at Athens (ATH/LGAV) runway 03R and was met by "lots" of equipment (police, fire ambulance etc) on taxiway C (second inner taxiway on 03R). It was subsequently towed to the satellite terminal.

Any more info anyone?

TR
-------------------------------
ThinkRate! ThinkRate! Don't Think!

Globaliser
30th Jun 2006, 11:54
It seems that, sadly, a passenger died during a LHR-CAI flight - more here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574664) from someone on board.

ThinkRate
30th Jun 2006, 12:16
It seems that, sadly, a passenger died during a LHR-CAI flight - more here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574664) from someone on board.

Thank you Globaliser!

TR
----------------------------------

Off Stand
30th Jun 2006, 12:38
The passenger must have died during the divertion as the flight normally doesn't divert if a passenger has passed away.

I was operating a flight to Barbados recent (for BA) and unfortunately a gentleman passed away. I was told by one of the flight crew afterwards that we would have gone back to The Azzures had we managed to keep him alive. Otherwise, you just keep going.

Never a nice thing to happen and my sympathies go out to the passenger's family.

RoyHudd
30th Jun 2006, 20:40
Where are The Azzures?:ugh:

chiglet
30th Jun 2006, 21:34
Where the "Atlanic Glider" landed, I think
watp,iktch

Human Factor
1st Jul 2006, 06:59
Where are The Azzures?

Quite near the Azores. :E

fmgc
1st Jul 2006, 07:33
The passenger must have died during the divertion as the flight normally doesn't divert if a passenger has passed away

That is not neccessarily true. Depends on what the crew decide on the day and the overall circumstances. I would suugest that it is very rare for somebody to literally just keel over and die instantly anyway.

Off Stand
1st Jul 2006, 08:25
Human Factor and fmgc, I stand corrected, thanks.

M.Mouse
1st Jul 2006, 09:09
I would suugest that it is very rare for somebody to literally just keel over and die instantly anyway.

I have had it happen twice.

1st Jul 2006, 09:42
Personally I think it is a big risk for crews if a diversion is not made whenever a passenger is seriously unwell.

Unless there is a doctor on board who can give a professional diagnosis and /or "officially" confirm death, crews will be at the mercy of the victims family and legal advisers who can eventually be relied upon to sue the airline when there was a "chance" that the victim could have been saved.

Very difficult for all concerened.

Orange Budgie
1st Jul 2006, 09:42
M. Mouse,
" I have had it happen twice"

"To lose one passenger may be regarded as a misfortune... to lose both seems like carelessness .":}

ThinkRate
1st Jul 2006, 09:45
Just some more info on how the BA crew handled the incident, from a friend who was in the air and on frequency at the time of the incident; a "pan pan" call was indeed issued by the crew and a medical emergency was declared.

TR
-------------------------------------

cometdriver
2nd Jul 2006, 10:28
Personally I think it is a big risk for crews if a diversion is not made whenever a passenger is seriously unwell.

Unless there is a doctor on board who can give a professional diagnosis and /or "officially" confirm death, crews will be at the mercy of the victims family and legal advisers who can eventually be relied upon to sue the airline when there was a "chance" that the victim could have been saved.

Very difficult for all concerened.

BA crew would be guided on medical matters by Medlink, a company in USA. The crew can talk directly to a doctor and discuss the treatment, or action required. If the doctor considered that a diversion be necessary, then it would be up to the Captain to make the final decision. However, he/she would be on sticky ground if he/she chose to ignore the advise.
In my experience Medlink are brilliant. They had everything prepared for a medical diversion on arrival, informing the ATC and medics, and even informed the company, before I had a chance to!
Medlink save BA millions every year by avoiding unnecessary medical diversions.

lexxity
2nd Jul 2006, 18:14
Medlink are indeed fantastic, if Cometdriver works for the same crew as me then they actually helped to save the passenger's life and the crew involved were honoured with industry awards.

gonso
3rd Jul 2006, 09:06
I agree with 36050100.

You cannot just say "he is dead" and carry on guys. This must be done by a doctor.

The Blu Riband
3rd Jul 2006, 13:53
Whereas in the past it may have been possible to continue I think that it is now necessary to at least start a diversion immediately if a pax is suspected to be dead. Medlink would have to be contacted and the semi-automatic defibrillator employed. This device runs for 30 (or 40) mins; during which the diversion would be well under way.
These kind of scenarios tend to be unpredictable though!

RoyHudd
3rd Jul 2006, 17:40
You cannot say a person is dead, period. This must be done by a qualified medical doctor. If one is not on board, and death is suspected, best head towards a suitable place.

By the way, should Medlink be used in the event of pilot incapacitation? (could be tricky);)

JazzyKex
3rd Jul 2006, 17:45
I think whether you continue or not depends on if the unfortunate person can be certified dead or not.
If there is a qualified medical doctor on board who, under the terms of the indemnity offered by Medlink, is prepared to pronounce the person dead then you can continue. If however that can not be done then diverting is the only option.

The Blu Riband
3rd Jul 2006, 17:51
Short haul guys don't even need to think about it, I agree. The one time it happened to me was - inevitably - at 30W, and he was definitely dead!
This was 12ish years ago, now I would CONSULT Medlink.
Remember to get permission to discuss persons medical details :confused:

5Y-NOT
3rd Jul 2006, 19:29
Re BA, good job! Have had two too.. ( no, not careless :) ) Not everyone will accept a body, not this side of the sahara anyway far as I know. Also repatriation of said body an issue depending on who operates there. Would say either departure point or destination appropriate unless sure of your reception. People do just keel over... pilots too, and dead is dead, doctor or not! For a deteriorating condition then a diversion of course, though again I'd be aware that an adequate a/port doesn't necessarily mean adequate medical care. How well do operators check their en route alternates for actual facilities rather than those listed? On that note, for those of us in this bit of the world, any contacts/info on medilink and how they operate? Must admit never heard of them, but sounds hugely usefull.

mr ripley
4th Jul 2006, 09:29
I'd be aware that an adequate a/port doesn't necessarily mean adequate medical care

Medlink take care of the adequate care, we take care of the adequate airport.

The company is called MedAire (http://www.medaire.com/) and the people we communicate with in flight are based at Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Phoenix AZ.

Irishboy
4th Jul 2006, 13:17
Just a quick question for you guys. I've read on several threads that if somebody dies during a flight they are left in their seat and made to look as if they are asleep (pull blanket up to face, etc). But when a person dies all their sphincter muscles relax and waste from their bodies will leak out. Does this cause much of a problem, especially on a long haul flight? Surely the surrounding passengers will notice an unpleasent smell after a while.

geraintw
4th Jul 2006, 13:33
Just a quick question for you guys. I've read on several threads that if somebody dies during a flight they are left in their seat and made to look as if they are asleep (pull blanket up to face, etc). But when a person dies all their sphincter muscles relax and waste from their bodies will leak out. Does this cause much of a problem, especially on a long haul flight? Surely the surrounding passengers will notice an unpleasent smell after a while.

I was dealing with a sudden death last week. Temperature was pretty ambient, not too warm, within 2 hours of his death he was going into 1st stage rigor mortis, colour was gone from him... insides started leaking.. by the time he was moved to the mortuary 4 hours later, he was belching wind and starting to smell quite badly. Having seen quite a few like that, I wouldn't want them pretending to sleep next to me for 8 hours! :=

5Y-NOT
4th Jul 2006, 20:51
Mr Ripley, thanks, will look up medaire.

The Blu Riband
6th Jul 2006, 16:21
re: bodily fluids etc.
Exactly, a big clue that all is not well, and that diverting to the back of beyond and dumping 100T of fuel isn't going to help! Medical certificate or no.