PDA

View Full Version : One dead in light aircraft crash

CherokeeDriver
29th Jun 2006, 15:36
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5129396.stm

A300BOY
29th Jun 2006, 15:52
R.I.P. I am so sorry to hear this news ! wish I could turn back time ! The pilot was a good friend and will leave a big hole in a lot of lives.

L-Band
29th Jun 2006, 16:46
Tragic loss of a friend.

R.I.P

L

IO540
29th Jun 2006, 20:42
Sounds like he had a fire on board. But an engine fire (or anything else causing an engine to make smoke) would not have caused it to crash, unless the pilot was incapacitated in the process.

Any views? Sounds very unusual.

100LL
29th Jun 2006, 21:31
Best not to speculate on things, let the AAIB do their thing.

We all know that Joe Public at best can only give an outline. Witness statements can be unreliable because memories are corrupted. Their minds can play tricks on them and they've watched too many movies.

eddi92
9th Jul 2006, 09:39
R.I.P. mate.....

Stripholderloader
9th Jul 2006, 11:25
Who was the pilot ?

Mercenary Pilot
9th Jul 2006, 11:42
Sounds like he had a fire on board. But an engine fire (or anything else causing an engine to make smoke) would not have caused it to crash, unless the pilot was incapacitated in the process.

Any views? Sounds very unusual.

IO540, guess your not a twin pilot right? Often an engine failure after take-off leads to loss of control on light Multi's due to low speed/high thrust live engine asymmetry coupled to high drag on a seized up and un-feathered failed engine. Of course, we shouldn’t speculate on this tragic accident, just let the AAIB do thier thing.

My condolences to friends and family.

UV
9th Jul 2006, 20:33
I posted this, below, on Flyer in respect of this accident and, regrettably, now have to post here.

10540 please have some respect for those involved and read below:

"I intend to post the following after EVERY serious accident in future:

"PLEASE DO NOT POST ANYTHING THAT IS PURELY CONJECTURE ABOUT THIS ACCIDENT. LEAVE IT TO THE PROFESSIONALS TO DO THEIR BUSINESS"

UV

PS Seems you will see this post a lot in the future...

FREDAcheck
9th Jul 2006, 21:18
UV, I understand your point of view, expressed here and on other threads. I understand that some people find speculation into the cause of accidents annoying or even upsetting. But with the greatest of respect, others may feel that one of the purposes of bulletin boards is to share what you might regard as rumour, gossip - and even speculation. If we want the hard facts then we will leave it to the professionals, and wait for the AAIB report. If we want rumour, we'll come here.

I much respect that your knowledge (as an ATPL) of aviation is much greater than mine (as a mere PPL). I think we should all think twice before making allegations about others (such as suggestions of pilot error). But to say we must refrain from all speculation on bulletin boards... We may as well not have bulletin boards other than to discuss my first solo, or pink headsets, or how many bars on the epaulettes PPLs should wear...

PS - Perhaps we will see your post a lot in future. But your point is well made, and your views respected, if not completely agreed with.

Flybywyre
9th Jul 2006, 21:54
Who was the pilot ?

dublinpilot
9th Jul 2006, 22:35
UV,

I understand where you are coming from, but please remember that when people speculate here and elsewhere on the causes of accidents, they are not doing so to criticise the pilot. In fact they rarely claim to know what happened, or criticise the pilot in anyway.

They simply are trying to understand was possible circumstances could lead to such an incident, not what the actual circumstances where.

Thinking about the possible circumstances allows us to consider both our own weaknesses which need addressing, and also to consider how we might react (or how we might learn form and better react) if faced with one of the speculated situations. It's through this process that we become both better pilots, and better prepared pilots.

Reading the AAIB will only allow us to think about the actual circumstances of the accident, and not all the various possible circumstances.

If I ever have an accident, please feel free to speculate about possible causes, and to learn from those thoughts. Please refrain from making accusations and suggesting you know what actually happened, until the AAIB report is released, but feel free to speculate and learn. If it prevents someone else from having an accident, then something good will have come from it.

dp

172driver
10th Jul 2006, 09:05
dublinpilot

I couldn't have said it better.....

IO540
10th Jul 2006, 12:09
The problem with AAIB reports is that while sometimes they find a clear cause of the accident (for example: the front half of the crankshaft and the prop are located 10 miles further back :) ) most of the time they don't.

I know it's not fashionable to cast doubt on "professionals" but I have read so many accident reports, and so many of them are clearly (whether they say so or not) pure conjecture.

Hardly suprising; there is no CVR and no FDR, and often there is no transponder so even if they can dig out a radar track they can't get any altitude info from it.

So I think a reasonable level of discussion is reasonable.

Of course the problem is that the gutter press reads these forums too and nobody wants to give them speculative material. But I think we sometimes credit the press with too much intelligence.

I don't fly a twin but I am aware of the low speed control issues.