PDA

View Full Version : Anything to do with Jetstar Recruitment (Merged)

Sylphie
26th Jun 2006, 11:38
I know there's a fair few PRUNER's here that are JQ FA's, so I was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to fill me in on the basics [and not so basics] as to what the day will entail.

I am invited to go next week, so any helpful hints would be muchly appreciated! :D

xx

DJTibby
26th Jun 2006, 13:56
hey sweety! i attended a day about a week ago. None of the Cabin crew can tell you what theres was like because the recruitment process has changed to meet international.
Firstly you will go there, wait around talking, be called in a room and talked to about the day, then you will have a 5 minute one on one with a recruiter, then they will check your documents and height. After this you go into another room (about 11 people) and have 2 group activities and then a personality test. after this your free to go home! all in all its a good day, but i must say, with 11 people on the table it gets a bit frustrating trying to get a word in without being rude or interupting!!
they care more about how your dressed at this one than the DJ one, I wore a skirt and suit jacket, but anything professional is fine! PM me if you want a more indepth idea of what goes on!
goodluck! xoxo

Airconn
26th Jun 2006, 16:23
Hi there!
im a JQ FA, its interesting how the interviews have changed, you say they have changed to meet international? how do you mean? i can't believe there was a group activity with 11 ppl on one table! that would make things very hard to try and get a word in lol! I did my interview nearly 2 years ago now, we all sat around for about half an hour in a waiting room, then were taken to another room and split up into groups of about 6 ppl, we had to just introduce ourselves etc, then listen to management speak about the company. Then we completed 2 group activites, handed over document copies and were free to go, I was called back that afternoon to come for a 2 on 1 interview the next day, after the 2 on 1 interview i waited about 2 weeks before i heard i had gotten through to the final stage- the morning tea/medical/reference checks. If you would like any more info about the process id be more than happy to help you out, but as i have heard the interviews must have changed a little, but i think the main thing to do is dress definetly in business attire. Being the Qantas Group you have to maintain the business attire standard that they want, and the most important thing, as everyone says, is to just BE YOURSELF!! because that is what they want to see. BEST OF LUCK ON THE DAY!!! :ok:

Sylphie
27th Jun 2006, 00:12
A personality test? hmm.
I wonder how efficiently a group of 11 people can interact without us all looking like we talk over each other or all sit back.. My Virgin group assessment was only 7 of us.

I've heard that a lot of candidates at the Jetstar assessment days don't interact with each other in the first part of the day while they're waiting for their one on one, perhaps this was one person's experience but they said that everyone kept to themselves and barely spoke to one another let alone looked at each other. How anti social! I hope people mingle at this one.

I'm going to wear a skirt suit and have my hair in a french roll. I think I should be alright. I've heard Jetstar is a lot more serious an interview than the Virgin Blue one, they felt really laid back and not fussed if you paused etc. Is that a true representation of the people at the Jetstar day?

Thank you both for replying! :O

Sylphie
27th Jun 2006, 00:40
They have asked that I bring a passport photo other than my passport. Is this for them to keep to remember you? Should I smile in it? :O

DJTibby
27th Jun 2006, 02:51
Hey again, well people were all friendly at my day! However I wouldn't call it more serious at all! It was fun, very similar to the virgin blue atmosphere, just a whole lot of excited hopefuls! Yes they do want to keep the photo so big smiles!:p

Sylphie
27th Jun 2006, 11:44
About this personality test we have to take? How much of an impact does that make on your application?

DJTibby
27th Jun 2006, 15:24
not much at all. they told us just to be truthful as everyone is individual and it is NOT used a a culling tool, just to see what your like. :)

Gomam
29th Jun 2006, 11:46
FYI, courtesy of http://www.jetstar.com/aboutUs/workWithUs
I have pasted the CSM position, I have never seen an add that states you must have clean teeth, hair, nails etc etc. Are they setting high standards?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Jetstar we are focussed on delivering the lowest fares possible and ensuring our customers are delighted by our service. We need friendly enthusiastic and safety conscious Customer Service Managers for our Widebody operation (A330 and B787 Aircraft). Flights will operate to a number of exciting leisure destinations in Asia Pacific region.

Our Customer Service Managers are responsible for managing frontline staff who are fundamental to the success of our airline and the selection of Customer Service Managers is therefore of paramount importance. These leadership roles will be demanding and you will be required to apply a number of key skills including mentoring and onboard management of cabin crew to counselling and using your diplomatic skills to maintain our excellent and well-deserved customer focused reputation.

If you are:

Experienced in leading a team in a customer services environment
Comfortable in a selling role
Physically fit with a good attendance record in your current position
Over 18 years of age
Between 160cm and 183cm in height
Able to swim 50 metres fully clothed
An Australian Citizen or hold Permanent Residency Status
Fluent in English (both written and spoken)
Ideally possessing knowledge of a second language, in particular Japanese
Culturally aware and sensitive to those with special needs
Prepared to work unsociable hours, any day of the year, at any time including weekends
Ready to meet the challenge of dealing with people and demanding situations
Able to work under pressure and coordinate multiple time sensitive issues
Of professional appearance including Attire, Skin, Teeth, Nails, Hair, Personal Grooming No visible tattoos or body piercing (1 earring per ear is acceptable)
And in possession of:

A current Passport with 2 years validity
Current Senior first Aid Certificate with 12 months validity
Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate
School Certificate (yr 10 or equivalent)
Qualify for or have the ability to hold and maintain appropriate visas if needed.
Then we can offer you:

A career in aviation within a growing company
New friends, fun, amazing opportunities and real job satisfaction
Generous travel benefits, giving you the opportunity to fly away on your days off.
Believe you're up to a new challenge?

Responsibilities Include:

To be successful, applicants must be able to demonstrate the ability to:

Perform cabin safety functions, including identifying safety matters, taking action to address safety matters and co-operating with other crew to reduce the risk of injury to passengers and Jetstar employees;
Provide excellent customer service during long sectors;
Ensure effective communication within the cabin and cockpit and with Jetstar Management to maintain an effective and harmonious working relationship;
Maintain skills, knowledge and physical ability to perform all emergency procedures;
Consistently display professional standards of behaviour and personal presentation.

Ideal Candidate Would Also Possess:

Working experience as a Flight Attendant
Qualified language skills, in particular Japanese.

Iulia
29th Jun 2006, 12:54
I agree that F/A should look nice and 'presentable' as some elders might like to call it... I think they (airlines) have every right in asking that applicants have the following and be:
"Of professional appearance including Attire, Skin, Teeth, Nails, Hair, Personal Grooming No visible tattoos or body piercing (1 earring per ear is acceptable)"
I have two piercings in each ear, don't know if you people have noticed how in the second hole lots of girls wear a stud, and in the first they wear some dangly earring... this looks great (as its the fashion... where I come from anyway) for when you go out, birthdays, dinners, clubs (I seldom go there) but yeh, generally when in casual dress. Even I think I look out of place with two piercings when in school uniform or at work at the library... and I personally would rather be served FOOD by someone whose teeth aren't horribly yellow from all their smoking years, and whose nails aren't bitten down to the cuticle and whose hair is not burnt from all the peroxide to make it blonde over the years and abuse of hair straightening abuse... as my bf would label it, you don't want a "dirty" to be serving you, especially FOOD.
BUT these things ARE 'fixable' eg, get false nails, hair treatments at the salon (and dye it darker rather than lighter!!), whitening/treatment of teeth etc.
Good luck to everyone trying out with Jetstar! I'm sure you'll all look lovely anyhow in a suit with hair all done up neatly etc.... it all really depends on how much of an 'inspection' they'd do of your body at their recruitment days.
The requirements could be all talk, and they may not really implement it... who knows! But to everyone, good luck, and good on ya's for trying!:ok:

Sylphie
30th Jun 2006, 12:00
I'd expect that from most people in any social situation, to be clean and presentable.. Maybe that's just me?

Who would go to an interview with unbrushed teeth, manky hair and bitten, unpolished nails anyway?? :bored:

Mr Seatback 2
30th Jun 2006, 12:11
You'd be surprised guys...you'd be VERY surprised.

Iulia
30th Jun 2006, 12:15
You'd be surprised..! There was this one girl at my VBRD who said she had just woken up and made it on time, and she certainly looked like she was telling the truth! lol her hair looked like what they call 'bed hair' and she had pink make up smeared on her eyelids like something I'd wear if I were to do a "Barbie Girl" song re-enactment...!
While on the other hand, another girl had a nose ring, but took it out for the VBRD only thing is, you could notice the hole in her nose! Well, I could anyway ;)

Iulia
30th Jun 2006, 12:16
eyyy... i said it first! lol

jetstarFA
30th Jun 2006, 13:59
The Expressions of interest have been placed in all crews pigeon holes,,, I have mine.... Combined Domestic EBA and Long Haul seminars will be conducted next week.... For the outside world they will be able to apply next week so I am told.

Believe the pay will be $32'k base plus allowances... CSM will be a bit more so I have been told

All going to happen very quickly.... No sign of MAM at this stage:eek:
Jetstar is totally controlling the long haul conditions with NO ZERO ZILCH backing from the FAAA..... WElcome to Work choice.... Make your descions wisely

Everyone should be recruited by end of August ... Good Luck to all that apply...

Please think long and hard about this..... The BNE-ROK -BNE -CNS-BNE might be more appealing

DJTibby
30th Jun 2006, 14:05
hi, I have just applied now as I went to 2 jetstar seminars and haven't heard back, where i know 3 people have and have been invited to morning tea! So even though I would prefer Domestic, I can't exactly pick and choose! I don't have many options left anymore :sad:

HoHum
30th Jun 2006, 22:36
Just remember that if you are invited to go for the morning tea that you bring your own tea-bag and busicuits!!!:sad: Nothing is for free at Jetstar!:= :=

For those candidates thinking of applying, I would only suggest that they look on the Recruitment process page to read further and find that you will be expected to pay for your own personality questionaire (that's a new one, and one that the Cabin Crew Base Managers definitley never completed!!Of course they are all ex-you know who! Funny how that happened....... ), and then also pay for your Security Checks and your Medical!!! How times have changed from when I first joined them! :uhoh:
I can just say that I am glad that I am no longer submitting myself to their ridiculous games that they play in expecting the highest standards and utmost best out of their crew while treating them with contempt, dis-regard and offering no support.:sad: :rolleyes: :oh: My opinion of course, but one that is based on experience....

Oh, and THAT uniform! - Orange Lapels and jackets- What were they thinking!!?? YUK!! Now where have I seen the orange theme for an airline before..... ermmmm maybe another lo-co in the uk.... how very original.....

HoHum
30th Jun 2006, 22:47
Of course they will use it in the selection process, otherwise they would never get you to sit it.....:ugh:

DJTibby
1st Jul 2006, 03:06
They use it to support what they observe on the day, Like I said it is not used to wipe people off the list, everyone is individual. If someone shows they do not have team work and answer questions that support this on the personality profile then I assume they would use that in there final disision.
good luck sylphie! when is your assesment day?:ok:

DJTibby
1st Jul 2006, 03:19
HoHum I'm interested to know why you hate JQ with a passion? Are they that bad an airline to work for? I can't see the difference between them and other low cost airlines:sad: what do they do differently thats really bad?:confused:

ditzyboy
1st Jul 2006, 06:41
No visible tattoos or body piercing (1 earring per ear is acceptable)
School Certificate (yr 10 or equivalent)

Does that mean guys can wear earings as long as they do not have more than two? :E

Year 10 only? Has Jetstar become so well known as a terrible employer that they have lowered the standard in that regard? (Not suggesting that the calibre of applicant would necessarily be any less - just it is a standard that has been lowered).

DJTibby -
I enjoyed my flying at Jetstar as the inflight service was cruisy and my colleagues were sensational(!). I also got more days of a month (both allocated and reserve where I wasn't required) than at Short Haul.
Unfortunately I found management to be absolute thugs. Terrible people who seem to take delight in demoralising and terrorising crew. What horrible people to work for :yuk: What HoHum says is ABSOLUTELY true! The contempt they show toward hard working, professional employees is disgusting. I am so glad not to be a part of it any longer.

I would discourage anyone from working there. Even if it is to get a foot in the industry. Management really is that bad, in my opinion. I started as part of Impulse Airlines in 2000, where the pay was shocking (less than half of JQ Domestic) and conditions where almost non existant - but we were treated well by management and it made ALL the difference.

Is it true that the FAAA has nothing to do with the International operation? If that is case anyone who subscribes to this total sham has only themselves to blame when they are used, abused and then sacked for no reason. May as well be a strikebreaker I reckon.

sheet
1st Jul 2006, 07:52
I am really happy to be a part of JETSTAR and am very excited to have the opportunity of being a part of International. I certainly will apply.

jetstarFA
1st Jul 2006, 09:52
International PAY (or beans) will be less than current JQ domestic... Considering that a Yr 1 FA can earn about $45-50 K, I know that I wouldn't want to be on a lower wage.....No Union protection,,, Under a work choice agreement. Can be sacked for no reason.
Will be interesting to see the outcome of the seminars next week

But my advise to JQ domestic - DO IT.... That will push me up the career progression ladder :8 :8 :8 .... Next time it will be mine :D

Sylphie
1st Jul 2006, 10:52
What's a year one FA get with Jetstar?

I am happy to apply and hopefully work for Jetstar if I'm chosen. I want to be cabin crew at the end of the day, and you can't base everthing off one unhappy worker. I hear bad things about all airlines. Won't know til I work there. I don't know that I'm using Jetstar as a leap pad, because I may work there and adore it and be there for 7+ years. Hehe.

:ok:

stevemelb
2nd Jul 2006, 08:39
Of course they are all ex-you know who! Funny how that happened....... ),
HoHum, you seem a bit anti ex-you know who people. Which airline you may have woked for in the past is not really important. If its the airline I suspect your talking about, I can assure you alot of people enjoyed working for them a great deal. I would think it only natural to try and get back into the industry if you enjoy working for an airline.

Dont wish to start an argument about this, just wanted to put my bit in..

ditzyboy
3rd Jul 2006, 22:41
and you can't base everthing off one unhappy worker.

Jetstar has more than one unhappy worker! Let me assure you. :eek:

When I said I would discourage people from being employed by them I meant anyone who mattered to me - friends etc. I reckon Jetstar serves a purpose for young people who want to experience great staff travel and being a flight attendant for say two years. After that you become a liabilty for the company and they will make sure you realise that. (Thug-like Managers have let that one slip more than once.) The rosters, nepotism and harrassment from most managers is enough to make even the happiest and most loyal of employees want to leave. I saw it happy time and time again at Jetstar. Sad but extremely true. I never flew with anyone with more than two years seniority who wasn't looking for a way out. (Actually, in all fairness I can think of one...)

Having said the above there are a couple of positives about working at Jetstar - which I used to get me through the day. And it is possible to have an enjoyable time there having such great crew. I seldom had bad days out on the line.

The proposed EBA is far inferior to the expired one and the fact it has been voted down speaks for itself really. Also Jetstar have new crew pay for all these things like medicals, personality tests etc. before they even know if they have the job. Also remember they are now having new crew sign a bond ($5000?) that forces them to pay money not only if they leave at their own accord but if they are sacked too. That is simply appalling, in my opinion. And under the new agreement Jetstar also wants new crew to pay for their own accommodation if being trained oustide their base. The great costs aside the mere idea of that sort of thing sends shivers down my spine.

We at Impulse and QantasLink toiled to make the company a great place to work and we were renowned for great service. We certainly didn't work so hard for it to amount in the airline and employment conditions we see today at Jetstar. Please do not insult me, Sheet, by suggesting I am bitter and twisted. I am conveying my honest feelings openly. I make no apology that they differ from yours. How long have you been at the Company anyway? I bet it's less than two years.

There are many senior flight attendants at Jetstar who feel exactly the same way. At the end of the day we all make our own choices in life. But you are simply deluded if you think there is only one or two unhappy crew or that they are simply having a whinge.

For all newbies and hopefuls (I was one once!) just do not go into this with rose coloured glasses. Can you afford to pay for your accomodation if required for a six week intake? If you get sacked in the first year can you afford the bond?

I certainly hope that my posts are helping some people to make informed decisions. That is all I am trying to do. Having worked there for 5.5 years I feel more than qualified to pass on my experiences. You have people like Sheet who send almost threatening PMs to me telling me to "be careful". Yet people like Sheet who claim to love working at Jetstar will not back up these claims with examples. I have gone to trouble to pass on my experience and my opinions using examples and in an open and honest way. Only to have Sheet PM me and tell me I am bitter and twisted. Yeah right - I have stated what I liked about the company. Doesn't sound like someone who is downright negative to me!

Sheet, would I go to this much trouble if I were just having a whinge? No. I would offer useless one-line posts such as yours.

Good luck, Guys. Just KNOW what you are getting in to. Ask around. There are many people here who will share their true Jetstar experiences and feelings (the good, the bad and the ugly). If you want to hear them.

Sylphie
3rd Jul 2006, 23:17
I don't have any problem with your experienced opinion ditzyboy. I am just aware that in Australia we don't have much room to be picky, at least when entering the industry. If Jetstar decide to hire me after my assessment day[s] then great, a foot in the door and the rest is impossible to speculate.. I was just commenting that I can't really make any opinion as to how I will like the job and the company, until I am working there.

Yes, we have to give a bank cheque for the personality test. But money is money - easy come easy go.. and I can justify paying them for it. Plus, when you add up what you've spent on a suit[s] your nails and other fine details like your passport photo and the like, what is a little bit more?

The bond.. well that seems a biiit dodgy but I don't have any other information about it. Is that allowed?? I suppose it's more to prevent people from 'trying' the job out and ditching.. more than to sack people and still make a profit.. Plus, if you do your job right you won't get sacked.

Are you planning on resigning, ditzyboy?

ditzyboy
4th Jul 2006, 00:34
Sylphie -
Yes the bond is in place. It is a bit dodgy, in my opinion. I am not saying for a second that the company would sack you just to have you pay the bond and make a profit. And, yes, it is for the purpose of covering the cost of training should someone 'try it out', as you say, and decide to leave. I don't agree with this practise but can see where they are going with that. What angers me is they can sack you - whether it be with reason or unfairly - and demand the bond back too. That is the ludicris part.

Honey with the IR laws the way they are and the management practice at Jetstar the way it is you could very well be sacked - even if you do your job right. I could rattle off a large number of incidents where management have victimised employees who have done nothing wrong, or based on hearsay with total lack of evidence. It happened more times than I care to remember and it depresses me that it has happened again only recently. A flight attendant refused to act outside the job she is employed to do and was stood down all the same. The Company just made up their own rules. It is referenced on the FAAA website, should you care to look it up.

Regarding me... I no longer work at Jetstar. I took a Career Progression slot to Short Haul.

You sound as if you are happy to give it a go. Great. Just be cautious and know exactly what you are subscribing to, regarding bonds and paying for accommodation etc. I think it is wonderful you are willing to pay so much money for to be employed at Jetstar. You are obviously very keen and would be a great flight attendant. Unfortunately Jetstar will use you enthusiasm to abuse you. Having you agree to a bond and pay for training accommodation is evidence of this very fact. As long as you get out of the experience what you set out to achieve then it is all good. Though I feel that it is getting more and more difficult.

Grove
4th Jul 2006, 02:30
To all of you looking at joining Jetstar read Ditzyboys posts. Thats sadly how it is at Jetstar. I like many others have moved on, I really thought it was ths the worst job I ever had. For all of the same reasons in Ditzyboys posts it just wasnt for me.
Think about joining seriously before you take the plunge, there are some happy staff there but many many staff who just dont want to be there. I would suggest you seriously consider all other options..

Iulia
4th Jul 2006, 03:16
Wow.... well, I certainly wont be voting John Howard!!:}

HoHum
4th Jul 2006, 13:40
To answer a previous question posed of me from DJTibby.... read Ditzyboys (and Grove's) posts - they have summed it up extremely well. :ok: We worked together and we (like many of our collegues) are happier that we left, but the company has lost so many of its good staff in this process.... :( I would have loved to stay, but the conditions became so bad - I had very little chocie if I wanted to keep my sanity!:ugh:

I worked at JQ (and its donor company) for many, many years and could not handle the heavy handed and undermined tactics used by JQ management. It was a sad situation and one that I am continually hearing since my departure.:sad:

Everything that Ditz wrote is unfortunatley true and it is such a shame to see where the company which had so much potential has been taken..........

So yeah, I might seem to hate JQ with a passion DJTibby, but I don't hate the staff - a few of my old crew mates are still there. As for them I feel sorry and console them when they tell me how bad it has become.

But I, like the others, left for a reason - we all worked very hard to get the airline to where it was about 2 years ago, and for our reward, we were treated with contempt and bad management styles all because it became a "new-budget airline"......allowances dissappeared and conditions got worse and worse each day.... Even the Manager who stood up and told us that our conditions and pay would not change when we became JQ dissappeared within less than 3 mths after the changeover !! What does that tell you??:ooh:

To anyone thinking I am just plain bitter - No I am not, I am just telling it as it is (or was!) To sum it up - I have had the experience to make a qualified decision about the goings-on in JQ, and it seems that if you ask anyone who has spent more than 3 years there - they will tell you the same. :oh:
The crew are a great bunch of guys and gals, and the way that JQ stands now, it is a great way to try the position of Crew if you are desperate enough to want it, but if you are necessarily looking at a quick way to QF... then I would consider something else..... the crew progression list is sooooo long and I would be surprised if you would stay long enough in those bad conditions to see yourself finally get through to QF shorthaul.:(

Oh, and my comment to other "ex" crew DJTibby....once again a reference to the Management and their practices at JQ....
I have many great friends from many airlines who I do not have a problem with. It is just very funny that when the Crew Base Manager positions came up in JQ - ALL of them went to outside staff who were ALL from a particular company. No need telling you where the Manager deciding who got the jobs was from!!! Need I say more ? (I think the old reference - Jobs for the boys is appropriate in this situation)
But that is how they run things there...... if you are going, just be prepared to be worked hard, looked over at promotion time, and not be treated like a person or with any respect:ouch:

I've ranted enough but you wanted the facts....Nuff said from me:E ...

DJTibby
4th Jul 2006, 14:54
Oh no:eek: I didn't doubt any of you, that is such a shame! I am really really sad now as it feels like there are no options left for me! I though Jetstar would be good to work for, I don't want to be used and abused! :{ I feel like a have no options now to acheive my dream of cabin crew:sad: what am I going to do? :uhoh:

Iulia
4th Jul 2006, 21:49
DJTibby, I'm as desperate as you, and so, should the opportunity arise, I will gladly accept with JQ. I have no dependants, and so the lousy money I'd make, the crap treatment etc wouldn't bother me as I don't necessarily need great pay (sure, it'd be nice, but I am surviving as a high school student as it is, I don't think I could get less pay in a full-time job at JQ as I am currently getting now from Centrelink...! And a part-time job at the lib... so yeh! Plus I have no mortgage and nuffin left to pay on my car.. so its no biggy.
Its great theat peeps such as HoHum and ditzyboy are telling us the ins and outs of JQ... but its still shocking to believe.. and I wanna see it for myself, and if it really affects me, theres no doubt I'll be gas-bagging here with you Ppruners :)
Fingers crossed!

ditzyboy
5th Jul 2006, 08:47
the lousy money I'd make

Guys the money isn't that poor... Better than most regionals. And the days off are better than QF Short Haul. I speak for Jetstar Domestic of course.

It isn't the money, dudes, it's the treatment from management that is simply inhumane at best.

Give Jetstar you go if you like - just know what you are getting in to. Money and days off are OK and staff travel is great. In all honesty though it is a short term sort of thing - not the career it once was. After two years you will be itching to leave, be assured. The spiralling conditions and poor treatment by management really is that bad!

Sylphie
5th Jul 2006, 10:57
Well, I'm not going to get that far ahead of myself, otherwise I'll be disappointed if I don't get invited for another interview. But yeah, I see myself hopefully having a long career as an F/A, whether it is with Jetstar or a series of airlines I do not know. So a short term goal of 2 years is kind of an idea for myself.

Tell me, the bond money, ditzyboy, what's the minimum amount of time you can work for the company that requires bond payment, or is it an indefinite thing that if you leave at all you are to pay up!?

Assessment day tomorrow. So nervous but more relaxed than my VB day.

OzyOS
5th Jul 2006, 13:04
Have Jetstar International actually started interview yet or are they just accepting interest at this stage?

Cheers :p

ShesGreatintheGalley
7th Jul 2006, 13:30
goodness.. i havent posted on here in over a year or so.. things have been very busy but it was only recently i thought i would pop back on to see whats news.
i am current cabin crew with JQ - and let me tell you all after reading the posts on there.. please dont believe that there are nasty people running round trying to deter you from beginning your flying career.. because they are not. Everything they have said however, is true.. sad as it is.
Its not really the money. its definatly liveable and although we lost alot from our pays when we became JQ over two years ago, its is not a bad salary, basic and average, but not bad.
It really is the management and the way we are treated. Its not only depressing, its demoralising to have to work for a company that seem to try so hard to almost MAKE you want to leave. A great example, (i will not even mention the EBA) is this recent international thing. We were told that we would have first dibs at transferring across and progressing to the international operation, and after they have got all the crew they wanted, they would recruit from the general public.
Sad how applications opened on the Jetstar website almost four days before the letter of invitation was sent internally to crew, and we then find out that not only do we have to interview with the general public (from stage one) but that we dont have any special consideration for the positions.
Those of us that have applied now have been given only days to go out and find a suit.. (because we cant wear uniform.. its a public assessment day) and somehow figure out how to make our first aid certificates current in time for the interviews (because we never had to keep ours current as we had internal first aid training every year that was what the company required.. but now refuses to accept for interviews.. after they told us that we didnt need to keep up our external first aid qualifications too!)
Anyway.. as ditzyboy and others have said.. Jetstar is great for a short term thing, to get the staff travel and say you've 'been a flight attendant' but really, long term it isnt viable for more than a few years.
Dont do it if you 'want to see the world' as you wont get a chance to.. we dont have overnights and the chance of you getting annual leave in a decent slot to let you get anywhere in the world on standby is minimal.
As it is at the moment, they are openly discrimating between new crew and old crew, giving new crew any overnights that are available, days off on weekends and great rostering patterns with lots of available days.. older crew get awful rosters and yet again told (although never so that there are witnesses) that our lifespan with the company is up.
and our CEO and upper management just sit in their offices with their million dollar payrises and business class travel and laugh.
just be warned is all.

airbusthreetwenty
7th Jul 2006, 13:47
Seeing as though this is a rumour network, i'll add some fuel to the fire.

Heard a discussion a few days ago about the widebody operation. It seems that yes they are trying to make it difficult for current FA's to join the JQ International operation. According to someone who has a bit to do with the recruitment, they want to hire new flight attendants with a "Fresh approach". Because old staff, bring old views.

I'm sure by this, they mean find staff who will be more than happy to strap on industrial vacuum cleaners at the end of their 10/11 hour back of the clock flight to clean the aircraft.

HoHum
7th Jul 2006, 16:49
Scarily enough - that is probably what they will want the poor crew to do......:( :(

So are they saying that the current crew are not doing a good enough job, hence they will not let them transfer into the international side when it happens?? Oh, what has the Australian aviation industry become?:sad:

And yes, sad that the management sit there in their high paid office jobs, travel in first class on staff travel and enjoy all the trimmings, while patting themselves on their own backs as to how well they are doing, never mind what they are doing to the workforce in the process... how do they sleep with themselves at night? - one can only wonder!!

At least there is the EAP for the crew, I am sure many will need to use it once they are burnt out by the company.......

ditzyboy
8th Jul 2006, 04:11
how do they sleep with themselves at night? - one can only wonder!!

Ha ha... That is the only way for them to sleep. Seriously I don't want to know! Or are you volunteering?! :}

zoom-zoom
8th Jul 2006, 06:11
HoHum, yes why is jetstar so bad? can you please advise what the eba consists of? what is the base for cc, cc manager? do you get any extras on top of that? how many hours do you work?

jetstarFA
8th Jul 2006, 06:30
goodness..
As it is at the moment, they are openly discrimating between new crew and old crew, giving new crew any overnights that are available, days off on weekends and great rostering patterns with lots of available days.. older crew get awful rosters and yet again told (although never so that there are witnesses) that our lifespan with the company is up..

I am old crew and have had CNS, AVV and MEL o/nights on the past few rosters....I don't think that management or crewing would have the mental capacity, time and effort to do the whole old crew/ new crew thing to try and push the "OLD" crew out..... Just get your Star Day request in for 3 weekend days a year (and be greatful that you have a job)..... Quote/unQuote JQ Management

Instead of sour grapes over overnights, which incidentally will disappear once crewing levels are back to where they should be, maybe we should be fighting for a union rep to oversee rostering

Mr Seatback 2
8th Jul 2006, 07:49
Your union reps could do with all the help they can get. Scanning the master rosters is a very time consuming task...and the reps do the best between balancing flying (they are all full time crew), answering phone calls from members, etc.

Fighting for a union rep to check the rosters??...how about crew actually putting their hands up to assist the current reps?

For what it's worth of late, the union reps continually have their hands full, from dealing with the EBA negotiations, disciplinaries, and so on.

zoom-zoom
8th Jul 2006, 11:27
Hey Hey

:ok: Who can tell me what the 1st year base wage is for jetstar? How much does this go up each year? How much extra do you get for being a cabin manager? Is Jetstar recruiting now? If so for which state?

why are people bagging jetstar so much for? to me jetstar sounds similar to virgin blue?:= low budget airline, some cabin service.......

the interview process sounds like, you pay a lot of money but when do you actually get looked at? is it a group interview or a one on one?

many thanks, zoom-zoom :ok:

ShesGreatintheGalley
8th Jul 2006, 11:56
ZoomZoom: Its completley irrelevant what kind of airline/what kind of service it does.. in this case its all about the morale/support.
DJ get hammered.. they work hard.. but they (seem to) have a supportive management structure and some perks which keep mostly everyone happy.. they love the company and what it stands for. Sadly.. ask any JQ flighty if they truly LOVE the company, management and what it stands for (and i am not talking about loving the fellow crew) and you wont get many (if any) people raise their hands. We are in this because we A) Love Flying B) believe we can provide a safe, professional flying environment in the cabin for our pax and we only stick with it because C) we love our fellow crew. Its said many times.. if the crew were not so great, a hell of a lot would leave, pilots and cabin crew.
jetstarFA: i am glad to see that you did get some overnights.. you seem to be in a minority of sorts.. either way - some crew didnt get ANY. So its a really fair rostering system dont you think? As for the union rep.. i hear he works his ass off checking the rosters.. and gets a generally average to sometimes ****ty roster because of his position. As MrSeatback2 says.. they need more crew support.. the union support in this company is ridiculous.. i agree.. it dosent look like they are doing much with the whole "we dont agree with this EBA but vote it in anyway cos its the best you will get" but there's only looking up.. we cant really get any lower in the bucket.. can we?

Sylphie
8th Jul 2006, 12:13
Yeah at the assessment they actually tell you that you will get little to no overnights. The lead recruiter tried to keep it as a positive saying that 'here at Jetstar we realise you all have families and loved ones and we like that you come home to them each night or morning. It's also another way to cut costs" or something close to that wording. I guess this appealed to the older applicants on the day with teenagers or late primary school kids. And at least she was frank regarding the 'real' reason, hehe. I don't mind too much. Having no overnights may be a nice way to ease into the lifestyle as a beginner FA. :ok:

Sylphie
8th Jul 2006, 12:14
I have sent you a private message regarding the pay zoom zoom. Check your messages.

ShesGreatintheGalley
8th Jul 2006, 12:51
you can expect to take home a min $1100 after tax each fortnight i think. it could be less for newer first year FAs.. mrSeatback2 may know
as for the training wage? i dont know.. i thought it may of been unpaid (!) when i was trained years ago we had a take home wage of about $300/week after tax.. it is probably simmilar although it wouldnt suprise me if it was unpaid thesedays

ShesGreatintheGalley
8th Jul 2006, 13:28
HAHA ZoomZoom darling.. what were you expecting?
Yes, we work long hours.. with minimum rest between flights. If you get days off.. some people will spend an entire day sleeping to catch up.. sometimes you only get a single day off in between a block of ten or twelve shifts which dosent leave you much time.
Roster varies from earlies to lates, generally a healthy mix with only about two days off in between to adjust.. then back to the former again as soon as your body has become slightly used to it.
This is NOT the industry (esp domestically here in OZ) where if youlove your social life and weekends, you will love flying. because the chances of you getting to go out on weekends are practically nil. You WILL develop strange hours and find it difficult to catch up with friends who work the normal 9-5 routine.. You will get used to coming home from a 9.5 hour day without a proper break for dinner (sometimes not even 20 mins) and having to pee whilst taxiing to the runway cos there is no time to do it during a 25 min HOT turnaround and the pax spend all flight queuing for the loos... Its an easy job.. but make no mistake.. its ******* exhausting and its something that you either love or hate. Flying isnt a job.. its a lifestyle and it runs your life. you learn to fit in things like medical appointments, family gatherings and basic food shopping AROUND the beck and call of the crewing department.
But for some of us.. perhaps pain is pleasure in a way.. i still love flying and the way it destroys my lifestyle.. but its def. no picnic.

zoom-zoom
8th Jul 2006, 13:35
shesgreatinthegalley:
its disappointing that an airline whom is under the qantas window pays so poorly.......i understand the lifestyle, but, you need money to survive ah!

do you know, are they recruiting now? are you guys short on staff? do a lot of the current jetstar crew - do they want to move over to international?

ShesGreatintheGalley
8th Jul 2006, 13:46
EAA is also a subsidary company of qantas and their pay is just as bad.. if not much worse! Thats a pretty basic base pay for a domestic FA here in oz.. you add on top any overnight allowances etc which could bring it up to $1600 or so.. but with us.. not so much.
Yes, we are short of crew.. badly. Yes they are recruiting.. for most bases i expect.. if there was ever a good chance to get your base of choice.. now would be it.
Quite a few ppl have applied to go to International, but as we discussed earlier.. Management are not making it easy and when it comes down to it and we are shown the contract.. i expect most will pull out and stay at domestic. Rumor has it the International Pay will be worse.. if not the same.. and conditions much worse. Quote one JQ manager : "If you think its bad at domestic.. you will HATE international!"
You will get QF staff travel with us but you have to wait six months first.

airbusthreetwenty
8th Jul 2006, 13:54
I've heard that 17000 people have applied online.

Don't know how true that is.

Yeah Eastern FA's get a crappy base salary too. I know this 'cause I know someone who was interested in applying so they spoke to a base manager. The person would earn a significant amount more working for JQ as a CSO.

ShesGreatintheGalley
8th Jul 2006, 14:24
airbusthreetwenty:
i heard that too also. dosent suprise me.. i expect majority are outsiders.. as i really dont htink there are that many ppl that want to fly LH with whats been offered
are you going?

airbusthreetwenty
8th Jul 2006, 15:15
airbusthreetwenty:
i heard that too also. dosent suprise me.. i expect majority are outsiders.. as i really dont htink there are that many ppl that want to fly LH with whats been offered
are you going?

Hahaha yeah, i'm sure the majority of current domestic CC are cluey enough to see what's going on. Better the devil you know.

I've thought about applying. But yeah, i'm of half a mind about it all. I'd like to fly longhaul, but I don't want to fly longhaul that badly.

Also, I'm on holidays for 5 weeks in Late September/October. Which would be during the training period I would imagine.

So yeah! :\

ditzyboy
8th Jul 2006, 20:53
Apparently the average pay for first years is around $45k, maybe a little more... My last year at Jetstar I got $54k. (I got more in the years before that at QFLink though.) My average fortnightly pay was around $1500 after tax.

As repeatedly stated the pay is not the issue here - it is totally comparable with the regionals.

The bond means if you resign or you are sacked (whether with cause or just because they don't like you) within the first year you must pay them $5000. (I think that is the figure.)

You will also have to pay for accommodation if the intake is in a port other than your home base.

Both the above are terrible practices and indicitive of how management at Jetstar make you think you owe them a favour for the privilege of being employed by them.

Sylphie -
Having no overnights is actually quite nice for a change. I had only one in my last year at Jetstar. (We did 2 per month at Impulse and 8-12 per month at QFLink.) It was good to be at home more, get more of a routine and you definately see family and friends more. I have now gone back to doing overnights. I have 14. It is great(!) for my bank account balance but I am tired and my wheelie bag never makes it past the laundry now :{ There is a good and bad side to most situations I guess.

If anyone could take me back to the five day ROK trips we did at QFLink I would be there in a second!!! So would She'sGreatInTheGalley too, from what I hear :E Anyone remember the Overnights thread we did? That was funny.

jetstarFA
8th Jul 2006, 22:47
Overnights are not the be all end all of the world... Yes they help the bank balance which is great but they are tiring..... I read these posts and all i see is people go on and on and on about overnights... Yet walk into the SYD crew room and there are like 5 people saying "TAKE MY OVERNIGHTS"... never going to make everyone happy all of the time.... And trust me I am never happy... People in the crew room go on about it and whinge and whine and management hear about it and willl probably make the effort not to give crew O/N's for whinging about it so much....

If anything be happy for the crew who get them ..... We do support each other don't we.... Well, we can now from home with eOSCAR.....:hmm:

You have less rest (10 hours) and work more hours (65 hrs in a 6 day period) 1 day off and then back into it....Um,, :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Ditzy- we lost the union rep for rosters as they wouldn't allow a bank of days for the rep to go through the rosters,,,, we are on our own now.

My average pay is about $1200 - $1350 per fortnight... which is not that bad... I never nominate my days live either....Just going late the whole time allows a bit of overtime... Sometimes less....???

But remember that JQ will only get $1200 - $1350 worth of work out of me...

None of this Free flying miners to Canberra and promotional day rubbish.... Leave that to the supermodels of the past thank you

ShesGreatintheGalley
8th Jul 2006, 23:40
JetstarFA: you have said you have been here for only two years, which means you were not around during the peak of the QFlink days where we had six crews in hobart EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and it was a blast!
You came into the company expecting no overnights because you were recruited and applied for Jetstar.. so did all the newer crew who are now trying to advertise theirs to give away.
i didnt -
and i miss them.

Ahh.. those ROK/MKYs... and HBAs... remember the days?

jetstarFA
8th Jul 2006, 23:50
JetstarFA: you have said you have been here for only two years, which means you were not around during the peak of the QFlink days where we had six crews in hobart EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and it was a blast!
You came into the company expecting no overnights because you were recruited and applied for Jetstar.. so did all the newer crew who are now trying to advertise theirs to give away.
i didnt -
and i miss them.
Ahh.. those ROK/MKYs... and HBAs... remember the days?

I have been with Jetstar for 2 years that is correct.....and I was with link prior to that.... 2 separate companies.
I am all to aware of the ROK, MKY OOL and HBA overnights that I had when I was with qantaslink...I am now with Jetstar.

So I was recruited with the expectation of being away from my family/children and I was ok with that.......
When Jetstar started I was told that there would be NO overnights and I was OK with that.....

And the crew who were giving away there O/N's were a mix of old and new crew.....

AND I do remember the days......:}

OzyOS
9th Jul 2006, 02:08
Surely International will have Overnights.......No way they cant?
And I really doubt that the pay will be "worse" than Jetstar Domestic :hmm:

eagle01
9th Jul 2006, 02:48
zoom zoom

Try REX, or Jetstar :ok:

OzyOS
9th Jul 2006, 11:20
.........was also thinking that no matter what airline you are with there is always going to be something that upsets you with the conditions. Even Qantas Mainline FA's still find something to be unhappy about :uhoh:

mostie
9th Jul 2006, 12:13
but thats how the industry is going I guess.

Not just our industry but all industries.........

Welcome to little johnnies brave new world.

First world profits generated by offering nothing above third world pay and conditions.

red or white
11th Jul 2006, 23:00
How many Fas are jetstar looking for to be employed in Sydney. I saw an ad in the Sydney Morning Herald on saturday 8 JuLy. Is 40 being a guy too old. It has always been a dream of mine. Any info would appreciate

red or white
12th Jul 2006, 06:04
They are already interviewing for JQ intl!!!!

Sylphie
12th Jul 2006, 09:28
Petri, I don't think that 40 is too old to apply or work as CC. I saw quite a few 'older' people at my assesssment day recently [who had school age children, teenagers etc] and even a fair lot of candidates approaching 30 and wanting a completely different career. If you're passionate and willing to do the job, age is a little factor, especially these days.

Go for it! :ok:

Skygal
13th Jul 2006, 10:28
Hey Petriboy,

No way, your not too old at all. I have a mate working for JQ out of Melb whose 40, and he just started working there.
So go for it buddy!!!!!

speedbirdhouse
13th Jul 2006, 20:08
The following is from todays SMH-

----------------------------

Even without the Jetstar job, it's a loser-pay system

Large font
Scott Rochfort
July 14, 2006

THE no-frills Qantas subsidiary Jetstar has mastered the art of cost-cutting to the point that it is charging would-be international flight attendants $89 for a job interview. And that does not cover the cost of the medical that follows if the interview is a success.

Four months before the launch of Jetstar International services to Asia, the airline has also refused to rule out becoming the first Qantas subsidiary to embrace the Howard Government's new industrial relations laws.

A Jetstar spokesman, Simon Westaway, said the airline had already received 1000 "expressions of interest" for the 240 long-haul crew jobs being offered.

Although the jobs were advertised last weekend, Mr Westaway said Jetstar was yet to decide what work agreements the crews would be on.

While Jetstar's domestic arm is negotiating a collective agreement with its 550 crew, there are suspicions the airline could bypass unions and draft its own Australian workplace agreements for its long-haul crews.

Unions fear those crews could earn 40 per cent less than their Qantas counterparts. Jetstar has also confirmed it will hire crews from the Asian nations it will fly to. The airline's Asian destinations include Bali, Ho Chi Minh City, Phuket, Bangkok and Osaka.

"As an international airline we will need to have a [number] of crew based in Australian and overseas ports," Mr Westaway said. "It will be very Aussie in terms of its personnel."

As for the $40 fee for a personality test and $49 for a security check - paid by applicants who get accepted for an interview - Mr Westaway said the charge applied to all Qantas Group cabin crew jobs.

"It's a cost-recovery process for Jetstar. We're making nothing on this," he said.

Jetstar also requires cabin crew to cover the cost of a medical, tooth and chest x-ray, along with a chickenpox and hepatitis inoculation if they score a job - an outlay of several hundred dollars.

But Mr Westaway said there was nothing untoward in the process. "Pilots can pay tens of thousands of dollars for individual training before they join an airline," he said.

---------------------

Are you sure you really want to work for these lowlife?

DirectAnywhere
13th Jul 2006, 20:44
Sorry guys, couldn't resist but that's the first acknowledgement I've seen from anyone in "the QANTAS Group" about how much it costs pilots to get their qualifications.

Cost me about 60k to get the necessary qualifications to join QANTAS plus 5 years working in s%^tholes in NT and WA grossing about 15k.

Then QF charge $150 for the psych testing as well!!

Admittedly, I'm reaping the rewards now but for how much longer?

If pilots are successful in their application to Jet* but are not currently endorsed on the A320/330 they then have to pay about 30k for their endorsement as well. You may like to note that Jet* International cruise First Officers (equivalent of Second Offiicers in QF) who've just forked out their 30k endorsement costs, are expected to be on about 50k per annum. I don't know what the Cabin Crew salaries are likely to be but it ain't gonna be pretty!

Thread hijack over!

Sailorgal
14th Jul 2006, 02:51
Interesting that the journalists assume those costs are only for those who actually "score the job" - there are a number of people (namely myself!!) who have to go through the entire process, wait several months, pay the money for medicals, injections and security checks etc, then get the "bad luck" email.

Iulia
15th Jul 2006, 12:15
LOL I've recieved an email, an 'invite' to an interview with Jetstar Domestic this coming Thursday, am awaiting for further details as to where and time :E

OzyOS
15th Jul 2006, 13:52
It could be scary if JQ are talking about recruiting in Asian countries. Speaking from experience, if JQ leave their recruitment up to the asian companies and not have any involvment in who they recruit, the asian countries will basically just "look after their own". I attended Virgin Atlantic registration/interviews in HK and was the only westerner there out of hundreds applying, I have a heap of experience as a FA, and speak some Cantonese (not fluent yet) and hold appropritate visas to allow me to carry out any job role I choose. So thought I would have a shot of atleast an interview...right...wrong.

I was actually pulled out of the line up I was standing in for registration (as I seemed to be the only one presentable there i.e. other applicants were in cut off jeans, like they had been to the beach) and asked only if I had over 3 years customer service experience, which I said I did and was given an interview time on the spot!I was extreemly relieved and impressed because it seemed I was chosen for the interview on accout of my experience. As it should be.

I returned hours later for my interview, and upon entering the interview room was stopped and told I could not be interviewed because I wasnt 'fluent' in cantonese. I was shocked! I had returned with other selected applicants for an interview (and again was the only westerner there) then turned away, because with all my previoue experience and conversational cantonese I still wasnt appropriate for an interview...after someone else had said I was fine hours before...and this is with a British airline!

Long story short I followed it up with HR in HK, because it just seemed to me that I was mistreated and discriminated against. All they kept saying to me was that I "did not fit the HK requirement" and "the chinese FA's are there for the chinese Passengers only"...... I'll leave it to your own interpretation, but I know what it spelt out to me with a big fat 'R' in the beginning of the word.

Its crazy because here in Aus we are such a multi-cultural country and every 2nd employee in the aviation industry here is of one background or another. In HK you would never find a westerner at a check-in desk to save your life :(

So this is why I am saying I pray that if JQ recruit overseas they keep their finger on the pulse to keep a say in the people they are recruiting, giving everyone a fair and equal shot. :ok:

rammel
16th Jul 2006, 08:15
Someone earlier asked if Howard and Dixon are best friends. Well before the last election the Business Council of Aust (or whatever it is called) which has Dixon as the head, came out and endorsed Johnny. If after hearing this any QF employees voted for JH then they should be ashamed of themselves, as this is part of the reason our conditions are getting worse.

If anyone at QF apart from Dixon votes Lib next time then everyone deserves whatever comes along. I don't like to get political on here, but this is how I see it.

Sylphie
17th Jul 2006, 04:34
Well it's been almost 11 days since the assessment and have had no word from anyone, even my referees. It would have been awesome to have people on this forum who had been to the same day as mine.. just so I could guage whether people who were successfully invited to the next stage were already contacted or whether they're still sifting through that process...

Still keeping very positive, but waiting is the hardest thing. :oh:

DJTibby
17th Jul 2006, 07:28
don't worry sweety! No one heard in the time frame you said from my JQ day either! they take ages so just relax;) I know you will hear soon though:)

OzyOS
17th Jul 2006, 11:33
Just a quick question for anyone in the know, and that is regarding the general knowledge test that JQ give you on the 1st assesment day, does anyone know what pass mark is considered acceptable and the impact this test has on your interview overall? I recently attended the assesment day and although, apart from general nerves you get, it seemed fine....except on the general knowledge test I felt like my brain had been replaced with a brick!! :ugh: I did manage to answer all the questions, but looking back made some pretty ridiculous mistakes, that given now wouldn't have needed a second look to complete.......:uhoh:

I think I just wanted to return to flying so much that I may have put a bit too much pressure on myself. Its a horrible feeling when you know the mistakes you made were silly.....oh... if only we lived in a century that time machines were real :p

Sylphie
17th Jul 2006, 12:14
Hehe OzyOS I know what you mean. I blanked on some things but eventually realised my mistakes and answered them correctly.

Unfortunately, despite thinking I did pretty much everything right this time I still got the wretched rejection e-mail this evening. Perhaps I just didn't fit the JQ mould? I have lots of customer service experience a lot of which is identical to cabin crew.. and I am fully flexible/available, I presented well, answered all the general knowledge and my personality test honestly.. Maybe that personality test really IS what they use against you..

I had a slight feeling things weren't going anywhere.. but who knows. Can it come down to the interviewer just not liking you? I got a weird vibe from her. My intuition seems to be right on track though. I had a feeling hours ago that I wasn't going any further, and it wasn't just nerves.

OzyOS
17th Jul 2006, 12:39
Sylphie.......I am so sorry you recieved the 'dreaded' email :(

It such a tricky thing these interviews, but you know what, go with your gut. When I use to be involved with the recruitment process in my QantasLink days, although we did have a list we needed to follow in terms of Questions, presentation etc. At the end of the day, it really did come down to the opinions of the interviewers. Its such a shame that the interviewer you recieved didnt bounce off favourable vibes to you, you seem absolutely lovely :) . Its a funny business the airline industry and as long as the supply out-weights the demands for FA's, unfortunately they will keep making many crazy hoops for us all to keep jumping through :rolleyes:

Keep trying for other positions, its deffinately the year for recruitment here in Aus, so if you dont want it to end here...then something else will pop up when you least expect it that suits you to a T!

I really wish you the very best :ok:

Iulia
18th Jul 2006, 07:04
I recieved an email last Friday afternoon for an invitation to the upcoming Thursday 20th recruitment day. Eagerly, I replied that yes, I could make it, and to either session, the 0900 or 1300 not a problem.
... And so there I was, eagerly waiting until Monday, thinking perhaps the office dosesn't work on weekends, and surely by Monday evening I'd recieve a reply! Buy NO... I didn't! And so, I replied again, and again, today too! I replied a total of 6 times, a few hours in between... finally, I come back inside the house after having vacd my car, and I happily login to my email... only to find a 'generic' (I assume) reply that is the most stupidest in generic replies!!! well, that I've ever read anyway...
Here it is:

Hello,
Thank you for your _expression of interest in the Cabin Crew Selection Process this Thursday 12th July. Unfortunatley due to the overwhelming response to this session and only limited places available you have missed out this time.
Please keep your details up to date on our website for your best chance at being selected for a assessment centre in the future.
Many thanks for your keen interest.
Jetstar Cabin Crew Recruitment

Okai.... let me point out the wrong bits... firstly, I did NOT specify ANY session in particular, I said I was open to attend ANY. But Noooo, they said that there was an 'overwhelming response to this session' and due to the limited place available, I have missed out!!
Second wrong bit... selection process, on 12th July? Why... HELLO! Today is the 18th... I do believe 12th has passed..!
And thirdly, they have NOT even mentioned whether its for Domestic or International, and I have applied for BOTH! So how am I to know for sure what on earth they're on about? Though fortunately for me, they did specify it was for Domestic in their first email, so I'm assuming thats what its for still.

So fustrated!!:ugh:

I feel like telling them that their half-hearted thanks don't go that far when it comes outta their rear ends!

:{

jetstarFA
18th Jul 2006, 11:02
Iulia,

Welcome to the world that is Jetstar and by reading posts on pprune, airlines worldwide.......:}

JQ couldn't careless about it's current employees let alone a possible new recruit.

JQ recruitment department consists of 1 individual co-ordinating all INT and DOM and she has just started as the previous lady just left.

To once again remind you all that they don't care about your feelings or any run arounds they make you do......of the wait between emails, telephone calls or seminars

As our GM of Cabin Services says "There are plenty of people who want your jobs":mad:

Try and get an ADHOC leave day after 4 years of service then you will feel the love....

Sorry Iulia but stay positive as 1 day it will happen :D :D

Iulia
18th Jul 2006, 11:44
aww thanks JetstarFA. Luckily I'm not taking it personally, afterall, its Jetstar, well-knowned for their neglect and abuse of employees, let alone prospective employees!:} ah well, saves me having to fork out $89 for something that wouldn't be guaranteed!

Sylphie
18th Jul 2006, 12:40
JQ recruitment department consists of 1 individual co-ordinating all INT and DOM and she has just started as the previous lady just left.

Hahaha. I wonder if that is the lady I suspected of having a bad attitude towards me!

Iulia - The way you have been brushed off when you did everything they asked and rightfully deserved to attend the day, saddens me. But as they say perhaps it's a case of 'silver linings'...

wa.man
18th Jul 2006, 13:13
It surprises me that with all the post on this thread and other similar website,the media reports about Jetstar and the general bad reputation that Jetstar have that people still want to work there. Move on and look for other options guys....Jetstar is really not worth it....You all deserve much better!!!

Iulia
18th Jul 2006, 20:26
I don't think you understand, I think I speak for many when I say that I'm soooo desperate to become a FA! I'd go with any airline, big or small :) MY ultimate goal however to is to work for the red and blue someday... *sigh*:O

Iulia
19th Jul 2006, 22:04
Hahaha they sent me back this email:

Very sorry Julia, there was a typo on the email sent out. Unfortunatley numbers were limited and you missed out this time. Please keep your details up to date on our website to secure your best chance at being invited to another assessment centre.

Kind Regards,

Jetstar Cabin Crew Recruitment

... its like, whatever!:rolleyes:

male31
20th Jul 2006, 02:00
I went to the recruitment day in sydney on the last week. Jetstar called my references yesterday. I wonder what will happen next.

Any idea anyone?

Iulia
20th Jul 2006, 07:52
I think you have nuffin to worry about, coz you're male, and its a known fact that when it comes to FA positions, MALES have a HUUUUUGE chance!!! Funny how, all males always get through to the reference checks/medicals etc... honest, at my VB day, there were three guys, and allll got through, even this one Indian guy whose accent was hard to understand, he got through. And at my REX day, there was the one guy, and he too was wondering whether he'd progress to stage two and I was like pffft no doubt, I rekon when recruiting for FA's, males are sought after, because there aren't that many to begin with. Just like there aren't many male nurses.
I think its great for guys to be trying out for such a position :) I've often asked my bf to try, but he'd never want to leave his job in the IT world :eek:

Ozzy747
21st Jul 2006, 11:56
hey does anyone know how much the base wage for csm is going to be????

approx $$???

if a f/a is on 32k how much more would a csm be on??? 39k????

thanks.

Wingletts
22nd Jul 2006, 06:03
hey guys
its a while since i have posted here but have been a busy cabin manager with VB for the last few years...I have left VB now ,but it seems the whole industry has changed and forgotten it's manners, esp when it comes to airline mangement bodies..Ditzy paints a pretty applaing picture of Jetstar, but beileive me that sort of behaviuour and treatment from managemnt is alive and well throughout the whole industry! it's so sad that it has come down to a sytstem of accountablity and keeping everyone towing the line with under handed tactics and mistreatment..rather than preserving and respecting the loyal and dediated employees that 98% of the time, have a real passion for flight attending....
I had a wonderful time at Virgin blue and like Jetstar worked with some great crew :ok: they are the thing that I miss the most as I am now having a break from flying - have been invited to a JQ international assessment day in early august, but like everyone aware of the shortfalls..is hard to throw the bug of flying when in your blood but all the same I am aware and ready to be dissapointed...:(
I hope one day this great industry will do full circle, and realise the fundamentals of running an airline and get back to basics- happy crew = good service = customer retention!

Ozzy747
22nd Jul 2006, 06:47
ok so the base wage of csm is how much???????

Ozzy747
23rd Jul 2006, 02:29
hey guys,

does jetstar international f/a's still have to clean the planes?????

i think thats the last thing you would want to do after a long sector.

thanks.

Mr Seatback 2
23rd Jul 2006, 03:46
No one knows for certain what the base wage for Intl CSM is.

Cleaning is being talked about...again, haven't seen how much of what is to be done by the crew.

OldBoiler
24th Jul 2006, 06:33
Ozzy747,

The short answer to you question is that nobody has been told anything definite about JQI! There is no information and definitely nothing in writing re the wages, conditions or cleaning duties. So settle petal, all will be revealed in good time and when it is I'm sure it will be posted on here.

Sailorgal
24th Jul 2006, 13:07
Hey male 31, congrats that's great that you've had your refs called for JQI. Did they then invite you to the morning tea? I was expecting not to get through as the recruiter who did my 1 on 1 turned off completely straight away, and you can just tell they're not even listening. I haven't heard anything from them at all though, and I thought they would at least send emails to let us know either way seeing as they invite you to the day in the first place and ask you to pay $40 for the privilege of attending!!!

OzyOS
25th Jul 2006, 05:19
I actually just had my Ref's called the other day aswell regarding JQI, but still no word yet on the morning tea.....we shall see! I find it actually quite funny because when I walked out of the interview, I truely believed I hadnt performed as best as I could have (been out of the industry for a couple of years, so was suprised how rusty I felt!). But I take the Ref's being called a positive step in the right direction. As much as it would be great to hear good news, Im just as fine if not, if you get too caught up in the process it can be really distressing.

Just know and believing that one day you will achieve your goal to be an FA (and in my case 'again') is enough to put my mind at ease :p

Sylphie
25th Jul 2006, 08:06
As much as it would be great to hear good news, Im just as fine if not, if you get too caught up in the process it can be really distressing.

Just know and believing that one day you will achieve your goal to be an FA (and in my case 'again') is enough to put my mind at ease :p

That's how I took it w/ both the two recruitment days I've been to. I was much better at the Virgin Blue day because I sincerely love the company, whereas I was almost held back at the JQ one despite performing well I that makes sense. I half expected a rejection so when it came it wasn't a shock or cause for sadness.

I hope the reasoning for it all is somehow in the stars and it's in my path sooooon to be flying. Maybe I got knocked back because I'm due to get accepted with flying colours with VB next time :E

One can only wish.

Good luck Ozy and any other applicants going through the waiting game!

OzyOS
25th Jul 2006, 09:20
Hang in there Sylphie, its all going to come together for you in a way better than you could have imagined! If you truely feel its in your blood to be flying than that is where you will end up :ok: . And like you said, regarding DJ, JQI may not have been suited to you, but DJ could fit you to a T....looking back when I was flying, I wouldn't have changed it for the world, at the time QantasLink was perfect for me, but now it feels right to give something else a try!

I wish you the best of luck :p

Iulia
25th Jul 2006, 10:50
Thats great OzyOS! Goodonya for having your references checks ;) amazing, you could be flying once again, JGI!
Keep us updated on any new progress ;) Its great to hear of people making it through, as much as I would love to be in that position too, maybe it'll be me, one day:ugh: But it gives everyone else hope.
However, when you do get through, and I'm sure you will soon enough, don't forget us!
All the best!!:D

First Class Nuts
25th Jul 2006, 10:58
I heard my referees were called today as well. Fingers crossed it leads to the morning tea !

Iulia
25th Jul 2006, 11:13
Gooonya too! Who knows, maybe you'll be serving those nuts first class before you even know it!

Thats awesome how y'all are having the reference checks done!!:D

summa101
25th Jul 2006, 14:23
I went to the morning tea.....had references checked,medical and ASIC check done...and.... and....(sob...sob) i still havent heard anything....:{ and this was all done back in May...in Sydney..I guess I just have to get on with it...and if they call...they call...I truly hope things work out for everyone else that has applied...and you get answers..real soon...and dont get put in a holding pattern like me....Im living by the phrase...'no news,is good news'..and one day they will find my file under the desk where it must have fell....:bored: ..

First Class Nuts
25th Jul 2006, 22:56
I went to the morning tea.....had references checked,medical and ASIC check done...and.... and....(sob...sob) i still havent heard anything....:{ and this was all done back in May: ..

The first interviews for JQI were in July, are you sure your not getting this mixed up with Jetstar domestic?

If I were you I would phone them to find out what the status of your application is
cheers:)

male31
26th Jul 2006, 00:42
Wouldnt it be exciting if the people who's references were checked, got an email today to invite them to morning tea to coincide with the launch of ticket sales for Jetstar International.:D

summa101
26th Jul 2006, 01:58
The first interviews for JQI were in July, are you sure your not getting this mixed up with Jetstar domestic?

If I were you I would phone them to find out what the status of your application is
cheers:)

Hey First Class....:) ..Yes it was domestic...but it still doesnt exuse them for not letting me know either way...and I would love to have access to a phone number to call...to put me out of my misery...or to simply re- apply again...but most airlines are not forthcoming with a phone number for just that reason....they dont want to be harrassed by the wannabes..like me to find out if we are in or not...

ratstej
26th Jul 2006, 04:07
When it comes to JQ recruitment you gotta have patience but at the same time be ready to bolt at the click of a finger! It hasnt changed from what it appears, my interviews where back towards startup and it wasnt till 4 days before the start of training that I got the call..... and the wait between the morning tea/Medical etc and that call can be a LONG time, however it seems they're mass recruiting as we speak, the amount of new faces you see everyday is HUGE! Its like an invasion, I have to say alot of the crew are extremely cocky. You all know who you are, so if your reading this, watch yourself.. its hella embaressing when you have a fellow crew member who most likely is much senior knocking you back into place. Also I Loved Ansett, as most of us did... but PLEASE! its over! leave it behind and get with the new system. Its great to talk about and remember but you havent carried over your years of service. Thankfully its a minority at the moment and they get knocked into place very quick surprisingly by the younger crew who've been in JQ from Starting Days, and the Good Old QantasLink and Impulse Crew!

Wow.. I got bitchy! ooops... my bad, you just have to some times :ugh:

ricciricardo
27th Jul 2006, 03:21
I refer to your application for a Cabin Crew position within Jetstar Airways. Your application is still valid however due to business needs we do not have any dates set for the next stage of our recruitment process at this time.
To maintain your eligibility it is important that you keep all your qualifications eg Senior First Aid Certificate and Passport up to date via the Jetstar website. If you have not updated your details on this new system, please do so as soon as possible.
We will be in contact with you to arrange the next stage once dates have been determined. Thank you for your continued interest in Jetstar.
If you would like to apply for Jetstar's newest division Widebody Operations, please do so via the Jetstar website.
Many thanks for your patience and continued interest,
Jetstar Recruitment Team

I dont get the 'widebody' invitation! That's what it was all about:uhoh:

OzyOS
4th Aug 2006, 09:15
Is it really true that the FAAA will be taking no part in Jetstar International?

If this is at all true, it seriously causes great concern :uhoh:

How can an airline start without the unions getting involved....or does it mean that the FAAA are leaving the international conditions to fall under the domestic EBA? (which is atleast better than nothing at all!)

If anyone has any information regarding this it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers :p

jetstarFA
4th Aug 2006, 09:17
It is TRUE the FAAA will have no say in the INT operation of Jetstar......

Individual contracts for ALL:} :}

ditzyboy
4th Aug 2006, 09:33
And it was not too long ago that Jetstar described themselves as "an employer of choice..." Yeah right.

Anyone who joins JQI under AWAs as a non-union employee deserves absolutely everything that they WILL get. :mad: No difference in this operation and being a strikebreaker, really.

So is it really true, JetstarFA? No FAAA involvement? AWAs? Even I am somewhat shocked at how low Jetstar want to go.

ShesGreatintheGalley
6th Aug 2006, 05:33
as far as i know its true that the union wont be involved with the widebody crew.. i know the company were waiting for the narrowbody EBA to be approved to see what they would judge the widebody operating conditions on.. so i guess it will be a contract signed between you and the company and the conditions will be simmilar to the new narrowbody crews EBA but with much different pay scales, rest and allowances.
from what i have heard (which is only heresay as nothing has been released yet) its much worse and you would only do it if you were desperate to fly and had no other choice, or didnt need the money. i cant for the life of me understand why current jetstar FAs would leave a completley secure, relatively easy shorthaul flying job with an average (but certainly not lowest pay in the industry) to work for third world conditions, lower pay, minimal allowances and having to deal with 'jetstar' passengers for 8 hours on average at a time. If it was a full service airline i could kind of understand and i would probably apply too.. but for a low cost carrier.. i cringe at the issues they are going to have.. some which will come with territory regardless of how long the airline has been in operation. With little to no support from management, and conditions like that, i truly wish them the best of luck!

ShesGreatintheGalley
6th Aug 2006, 08:16
to be honest i dont see why the FAAA wouldnt let that be approved.. its not much different to what we do now at JQ... and if your agreement states you can work 16 hours.. there is nothing stopping them getting you to clean on the turnaround! this is JETSTAR.. you will be cleaning the cabin regardless of if you are getting off and a new crew getting on (even Alan joyce confirmed that to me PERSONALLY) or a turnaround.
they will only bring in cleaners for overnight/long port stay cleans.So even if you are part of the widebody crew, and getting off in Hawaii.. you will still be cleaning after the flight. the days of strolling off an aircraft behind the last passenger without cleaning are reserved for mainline crews only ;)

sebby
7th Aug 2006, 04:34
Can someone tell me what exactly the crew do when they clean the aircraft?

I cant imagine doing that... do you get breaks during the day to make up for the fact that you dont get the 10 mins to sit down during the turnaround?

priapism
7th Aug 2006, 04:58
Leanne,

Ansett domestic F/A's did BOC Denpasar returns weekly from Mel and Syd. Blocked dutytime was approximately 14hours 15 and 14 hours 30 mins . These trips proved very popular amongst the older set as they attracted a 6 hour roster credit which meant much more time off . Feral punters though!

I am tipping no such roster credit for Jetstar. Absolute bloody minded attitude to staff- an attitude which seems to be permeating most of the industry now. I'm glad I'm out of it as I think I would be doing life with hard labour for murdering the nearest management spin doctor. One can only take so much bulls**t coated in sugar.

Cheers,

Priapism

sheet
7th Aug 2006, 11:16
leane7
16 hours rostered days are not so at JQ, however isnt it a different story at Jetconnect.From what you have posted JQI isnt what you want either!

sebby
7th Aug 2006, 11:27
Considering Jetconnect LH duties can be SYD - JNB I dont think it is out of the question for these hours to be on a typical roster... at least on a 747 you have a proper rest space and deteriorate over 12 hours with the pax and not have to refresh yourself to begin a new 5 hour sector with new excitable passengers (or not so excitable) .... :bored:

ShesGreatintheGalley
14th Aug 2006, 06:07
Jetstar says AWA move not union-busting

By Steve Creedy, Lisa Macnamara and AAP

August 14, 2006 12:50pm
Article from: NEWS.com.au
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20118996-2,00.html

BUDGET carrier Jetstar has denied it is trying to reduce union influence by employing all flight attendants on its new international service under Australian Workplace Agreements (AWAs).
Qantas's cut-price subsidiary announced today it is seeking an initial 200 long-haul cabin crew for its international service, which is scheduled to start flying to Asian destinations from November 23.

Jetstar chief executive Alan Joyce said the move would bring more flexibility to its workforce, and it was not about breaking the strong union involvement in Qantas's operations.

“This is all about achieving a long-haul international airline in a reasonable time-frame ... this is not about ideology,” Mr Joyce said in Melbourne today.

Jetstar's long-haul cabin crew will be paid between $41,000 and $46,000 for a 38-hour week, and the AWAs also include six weeks' annual leave as well as sick leave.

Staff will be paid bonuses if they speak additional languages, and a commission for in-flight sales of food, pillows and other goods to passengers.

Supervisory “customer service managers” will be employed under similar conditions as regular cabin crew, but for pay ranging from $54,000 – $60,000.

Mr Joyce said the AWAs will not represent a pay cut for existing long-haul flight attendants employed under collective agreements in Australia.

He also said more than 2800 applications from job seekers had been received, and the interview process was under way.

“I think that shows you how good the terms and conditions are,” Mr Joyce said.

“A good comparison is the starting salary for a school teacher here in Victoria is $44,000 plus super ... (and) they have to go through four years of training.

“They're (Jetstar cabin crew) are getting a package of $41,000 after five weeks' training.”

Jetstar's initial plans for its overseas operations include flying Airbus A330-200 aircraft into Bangkok, Phuket, Bali, Ho Chi Minh City, Osaka and Hawaii.

The airline will also take delivery of up to 15 Boeing 787 aircraft from late 2008, which will require 350 Australian-based crew.

Jetstar also has 575 cabin crew employed in its domestic operations under collective agreements.

Earlier today, Labor leader Kim Beazley attacked the contracts as an unwanted move towards US-style working for tips.

"I don't want to see an industrial system in this country where mainstream workers are working for American-style tips," Mr Beazley said.

"That's the sort of thing that is coming in via the Jetstar AWA and is likely to shift across to Qantas."
Mr Beazley said the Howard Government's industrial relations legislation was beginning to undermine the economic conditions of middle Australia.

The Flight Attendants Association of Australia fears the new employees will be forced to work longer for thousands of dollars less than their Qantas colleagues.

The five-year contracts will see part of the cabin crew's pay treated as a "productivity bonus". This will include extra hours worked and commissions from selling on-board food and entertainment.

"This is a really provocative move," said FAAA international division secretary Michael Mijatov.

Union fears for one of their traditional stongholds were heightened after Qantas chief Geoff Dixon told Channel 9 he planned to introduce individual contracts to other parts of Qantas. Mr Dixon emphasised the need for flexibility in the way the airline employed workers.

"We've been virtually a union-held company for many, many years," he said. "We have 16 unions, we have 45 enterprise bargaining agreements within the company and 20 of them, or 15 of them, are live at the moment. In other words we are negotiating them and ... we will be announcing very shortly that we are going to put AWAs into certain areas of the Qantas Group."

Unions vowed yesterday to fight the changes, accusing Qantas executives of receiving "obscene" salaries while trying to drive down the pay and conditions of airline workers. ACTU President Sharan Burrow said it was "incredible that Qantas - with the profits it's demonstrated, with the obscenity of the salary levels of management - can turn around to their own workers and say, 'We're going to force you onto AWAs'.

ACTU secretary Greg Combet said he would seek details about the proposed AWAs from Mr Dixon today. "We've worked well with Qantas over a long period of time to try to make sure the company improves its competitiveness," he said.

"It's been a very constructive relationship, so naturally any suggestions by Mr Dixon that the company might change its strategy away from collective bargaining and towards individual contracts is a concern to us."
Additional reporting: Paige Taylor

************************************************************ ************************************
and the media release from the company:

Jetstar Airways Pty Limited 14 August 2006 Melbourne (2 pages)

Jetstar Cabin Crew recruitment for international flying

Jetstar is to create an initial 200 new Flight Attendant positions within Australia with Australian Workplace
Agreements (AWA) to support its start-up of low fare international services to South East Asia, Japan and
the Asia Pacific, proposed from November this year.
The low fares airline plans to fly from Australia with an initial fleet of Airbus A330-200 aircraft offering two
classes of service, to popular international leisure destinations including Bangkok, Phuket, Bali, Ho Chi
Minh City, Osaka, and planned future flights to Hawaii. All services are subject to regulatory approval.
Jetstar will offer two Australian Workplace Agreements (AWA) for Cabin Crew and Customer Service
Managers, a supervisory role for Cabin Crew.
Jetstar will also establish an overseas Cabin Crew base in Bangkok, Thailand through a subsidiary of the
majority Qantas Group owned company, HTT.
The majority of Jetstar’s new long haul Cabin Crew positions however will be based within Australia at
commencement.
The AWAs for Cabin Crew and Customer Service Managers will be of 5 years in duration and include
annual wage rises with a competitive salary package also featuring a suite of entitlements and airline
industry related benefits.
The remuneration package for a Jetstar long haul Cabin Crew recruit will range between $41,000 - $46,000
per annum including superannuation for a 38 hour working week.
Entitlements within the Agreement include 6 weeks annual leave, guaranteed 8 rostered days off per 28
day roster period, sick leave, performance bonuses, special language payments for bilingual employees
and overseas living expense benefits.
Customer Service Managers’ remuneration package for a 38 hour week would range between $54,000 to
$60,000 per annum under their AWA with similarly aligned entitlements and conditions to Jetstar long haul
Cabin Crew.
Jetstar Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce said the airline today directly employs almost 1600
Australians for its existing domestic and trans Tasman international services, and indirectly thousands
more people in support activities including Ground Handling, Airport Customer Service, Telephone
Reservations and Inflight Catering.
He said the airline had prospered through a range of workplace agreements including common collective
unionised and collective non-unionised agreements, fixed term and permanent common law contracts –
and would compete strongly on international routes from the mutual benefits derived to both the airline
and its workforce by the introduction of these Agreements.
“The Jetstar long haul operation is a new business with new international flying and with no existing
employees,” Mr Joyce said.
“Jetstar has significant interest for Cabin Crew roles with up to 15,000 applications received.
Jetstar Airways Pty Limited ABN 33 069 720 243
“The benefits of the new Agreements will be attractive to many young Australians and will be vital in
helping to establish Jetstar as a growing international airline against overseas competitors which operate
with significantly lower costs.
“Jetstar is scheduled to take delivery of between 12-15 new generation Boeing 787 aircraft from late
2008 and this will require up to 350 Australian based Cabin Crew.”
Mr Joyce said Jetstar would continue to operate on the basis that the wages and salaries of its workforce
would incorporate components based on the existing and future performance of the company.
“Jetstar wants a mutually beneficial workplace arrangement for international Cabin Crew that best meets
the timing of these international services, as well as the operational and commercial needs of the new
business venture,” Mr Joyce said.
“This can be best achieved through Australian Workplace Agreements that provide a sound salary
package with attractive benefits and career progression.”
There is no change to existing Cabin Crew arrangements for Jetstar’s trans Tasman operations, supported
by a two aircraft Airbus 320 base in Christchurch.
In a further announcement, Jetstar has selected Gate Gourmet as its preferred provider of Catering
Services on its future long haul services.
The prominent chef Neil Perry will assist with service delivery, working with Gate Gourmet to deliver an
appealing on-board offering in both StarClass, Jetstar’s premium cabin and in Economy on Jetstar long
haul flights.
Jetstar has also confirmed it has selected Qantas as its preferred provider of Ground Handling and
Airport Customer Services for its international services at Sydney and Brisbane International Airports. At
Melbourne International Airport, Jetstar will provide Airport Customer Service functions including
customer check-in for its international flights with Express Ground Handling (EGH) providing Ground
Handling services.
On the Gold Coast, Oceania, an external service provider, will manage Jetstar’s customer service and
ramp functions for its twice weekly Gold Coast-Christchurch services.

Media Enquiries:
Simon Westaway General Manager - Corporate Relations Tel: +61 (0) 401 994 627
Simone Pregellio Jetstar Corporate Relations Tel: +61 (0) 418 981 470

ditzyboy
15th Aug 2006, 00:12
He also said more than 2800 applications from job seekers had been received, and the interview process was under way.

“I think that shows you how good the terms and conditions are,” Mr Joyce said.

What utter tripe! The salary and conditions have only just been made available. So these thousands of job seekers you speak of, Mr Joyce, did not know how bad the conditions really are. I guess they know now!

Oh and one other thing... Since when is overnight allowances / DTA counted as take home income? We fought at QFLink for better Onight Allowances and were continually told by management that these payments are for the sole purpose of eating etc on trips. We had to prove that what we were getting was not enough and were were told categorically that this allowance is fully expended and not part of take home pay.

Isn't it funny that these same managers are now talking up allowances as a way to boost income? Just makes them look even more foolish, if that's possible... :rolleyes:

Mr Joyce said the AWAs will not represent a pay cut for existing long-haul flight attendants employed under collective agreements in Australia.

What the?! Where is he trying to go with that remark? Since when is $30k a year not a pay cut?

sebby
15th Aug 2006, 00:46
:ok: dont stand for this guys! You tell'm ditzy!

mamslave
15th Aug 2006, 05:17
So lets say a JQ international hostie earned $45K for the year. Lets take off $4050.00 for supperannuation....

So we have $40950.00

I am assuming they are including DTA/allowance in the pay, so lets take a further $15000 off the salary for an average of 12.5 night away from home each month. (am being generous here)

Gives you a base salary of $25950.00.

Does that sound right guys?

I aint that good with maths, any further input would be greatly appreciated.

That works out to be $13.23 per hour base pay, on top on that you need to add, super, DTA etc etc.(base pay divided by 38 hours per week over 12 months)

ShesGreatintheGalley
15th Aug 2006, 15:48
mamslave: i am under the impression that you are right there... was also hearing that this INCLUDED overtime payments? dont know how but it means that you wouldnt be taking home any more than the stated pay annually as it included EVERYTHING - allowances, overtime, commissions etc.

LucyLou
15th Aug 2006, 22:52
Is it true to say that JetStar International will be getting full staff travel?? More than JetConnect and Austalian Airlines crews... :confused:
Just curious - Were was this written Leane?

OzyOS
16th Aug 2006, 03:53
Its absolutely 100% true, regarding staff travel and full benefits. Have a look on the Jetstar website under news and it will fill you in on all. I found out at my final interview and was pleased, not much of a difference from working at QLink except more pay.

OzyOS
16th Aug 2006, 04:02
Oh yeah, forgot to add that its actually 6 weeks payed leave also :p

priapism
16th Aug 2006, 04:57
Believe me you'll need every week of it. (the 6 weeks leave)

Still though, the package doesn't seem that draconian , particularly if you are flogging away in a menial poorly paid job. My nephew has been working at a 4 star hotel for 18 months now. His group certificate showed his gross earnings for a year of shift work including incidental overtime was $ 28,219 aus .
He has level 2 first aid and has recently been semi automatic defibrillator trained as his hotel now has some. He has also been trained in emergency procedures regarding fire or other threat to life evacuations.

He is 21 years old . Over a beer or 3 the other night he was telling me of some of the things that he has encountered during his employment.

Aside from the normal abuse and disputes over bills , mini bar etc , which confront anyone in a front line customer service role he has had some awful experiences including:

Drunk and drug affected people harassing hotel staff and guests in the foyer whilst attempting to scrounge food, money or a comfortable lounge to sleep on for the night. One such charmer produced a meat cleaver when asked to leave .

He administered immediate first aid to a young girl who stumbled into the foyer after being beaten senseless in a nearby lane ( and as it turned out sexually assaulted as well.)

Has delivered CPR to a heroin o/d outside the hotel until paramedics arrived.

Had to get into a barricaded room with hotel security to get to a business man who was alcohol affected and had telephoned his ex wife saying he was going to jump out the window . Entry was gained just as the bloke was about to hurl a coffe table through the window which wouldn't open wide enough for him to jump out of.

But the worst of them all was a few weeks ago when he was contacted by housekeeping to check if a room was actally vacant as there was a " do not disturb " sign on the handle. The guest was due to check out early that morning. After failed contact by phone he entered the room with security to find that she had indeed checked out by taking an overdose of anti depressants and slitting her wrists in a full bath. He is still losing sleep over that one!

He has put up with more crap in 18months than I did in 20 years of flying , and I was earning 3 times the money.

If you think his application for Jetstar International is on the way you are damn right. I suspect hundreds and hundreds of others like him will be doing the same . Things don't look rosy for anyone working Q.F longhaul.

The smart ones will take the package -the others should mutate now and avoid the rush!

LucyLou
16th Aug 2006, 13:06
Leane, the difference with JQ Domestic is that they came across on the Impulse conditions, so it was a given. However there was much speculation that International would not get it...
Surely that means now, Jetconnect and Australian will have a better chance at fighting for full interline benifits. Come on its only fair for them! ;)
Is there anywhere i can view the Conditions of employment (EBA, AWA or thereabouts) of JQI ??

tjap25
17th Aug 2006, 02:11
Hi guys. Has anyone been invited to the Melbourne morning tea for JQI?

terminal2
18th Aug 2006, 02:47
At the "morning tea" it was mentioned by the "other Irish guy" that they are looking at either a voucher or credit system at the place of accommodation in lieu of allowances.

Can't think of a better way to make me think twice about the adventure.....

speedbirdhouse
18th Aug 2006, 08:31
Every international airline including those from developing countries pay their crew allowances in order to feed themselves when overseas.

MANY pay far in excess of the amounts paid to existing Qantas longhaul crew.

Think VERY hard before hitching a ride with jetscar international........

priapism
18th Aug 2006, 09:43
Speedy,
Could you please supply a list of the many airlines that offer crew allowances far in excess than that paid to Q.F longhaul. Could you also provide details of the total salary package that these airlines offer. I would be interested to know.

speedbirdhouse
18th Aug 2006, 09:47
No but if you are implying that no one does perhaps you can supply a list of airlines that don't.

No one is talking here about salary packages.

The point being made is rather that all international carriers pay allowances to upline crew in order that they can feed themselves as they see fit.

Jetscar international appears to be lowering the bar by not providing what has been an industry standard.

As for upline allowances in excess of QF longhaul.

How about BA, KLM, Cathay, Thai for a start.

ShesGreatintheGalley
18th Aug 2006, 10:46
yes agree with speedbird.. have been confirmed by mgmt that they are looking into a 'debit card' type procedure whereby you can swipe your card in order to withdraw your allowance/pay for your hotel bill with your allowance' i dont think they are even looking into giving crew the cash.. its going to be done on a deal system with the hotel for meals/mini bar etc.

i mean, yeah, there sure are ****tier jobs out there.. but in most other jobs your not 'trapped' at work for a few days.. (if your sick you can go home etc) whereas in this industry, you come to work.. your at work till you get back to your city. You cant ever knock off early or anything. It does make a big differnece sometimes esp with things like delays lasting into days etc in a foreign country.

bubblygirl
18th Aug 2006, 12:09
Just to let you know that not all allowances are paid at the hotel for international airlines. I am from Australian and they pay allowances fortnighly ATO 2, a month after its due, if you understand that. But at QF domestic, they get DTA, so an hourly rate in there pay when they are O/S. It is a bad wage, but if you are out for the experience, and want to try international flying, do it. Don't listen to anyone telling you bad stuff. You do the job because you love it, not for monetary gain. Those in it for the money end up complaining anyway. Good luck JQ International

speedbirdhouse
18th Aug 2006, 12:31
The kind that we [and our children] will be seeing a lot more of under howards new world order.

You are of course correct bubbly girl.

No one will be doing this for the money.

Sadly it seems there wont be too much love either when you body starts to react to how many hours per roster you will be doing.

This is EAST/WEST international flying at the kind of hours per roster that seems to be to be nothing short of ridiculous. 300???

Incumbent QF longhaul do around 200 with our pilots much the same.

$41000 PA gross WHICH INCLUDES superannuation, commission on food sales [productivity bonus????:rolleyes: ], allowances and language allowance.

Hey, Alan Joyce suggests its a phenominal salary compared to those working in cafes and restaurants so there you go.

Even those running it agree its a Mcjob.

What a shame that love doesn't pay the rent/mortgage, put food on the table, put kids through school............

speedbirdhouse
18th Aug 2006, 23:22
Australian average income in the private sector is now in excess of $52 000 per annum.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/mf/6302.0?OpenDocument

Mc Job anyone..........

priapism
19th Aug 2006, 00:06
Speedy,

Not implying anything. I was just interested to know if you had any good info as to the total packages on offer around the world.

As for Jet* International , the package by current Australian airline standards is ****e.

That said it remains very attractive to the thousands and thousands of wannabes out there . As mentioned in a previous post it beats the sh@t out of what is on offer in other hospitality jobs out there. Particularly with travel benefits.

Doesn't matter if they get dissillusioned after a few years , it only takes a few weeks to train a Flight Attendant and there is an endless supply of wannabes out there.

Dixon and co. know this too well. Once this is up and running it will expand and erode Q.F longhaul routes . The future for long haul cabin crew is bleak.

The long haul award won't change that much...there just won't be any flying left that it can be applied to.

mostie
19th Aug 2006, 08:15
300 INTERNATIONAL hours per roster at $41 000 PA isn't a career.

It's more a social and physiological experiment.

A career is what existing Qantas crew have.

For the moment at least.........

mostie
19th Aug 2006, 09:48
Cheers Leane7.

I knew what you meant.

Have a good night and chin up.

bubblygirl
19th Aug 2006, 10:47
LEANE7 - not sure wether you realise but Australian Airlines is an International Airline

jamesmo
19th Aug 2006, 10:49
hi i'm just a newcomer i just wanna that JQ need swim 50 metres nonstop with life jacket or without processing in Australia pls tell me for whom knows cuz now JQ recruit Thai crew based in BKK and they also need swiming test too ... i can't swim by the way

mostie
19th Aug 2006, 11:05
Quote- "but Australian Airlines is an International Airline"

--------

Ah..........was an Australian airline.

bubblygirl
19th Aug 2006, 11:16
yep, should have used the past, but they are still flying as Australian Airlines for Qantas. They still receive their allowance intheir bank account a month after. Look, I am not wanting to get into any kind of talk back, just was answering a Q from one of the other punters online. Good luck to all.

TightSlot
19th Aug 2006, 12:37
Please continue Australian Political and Social discussions In D&G.