PDA

View Full Version : Microlighting in the USA - help!!!

snapper41
29th Jun 2006, 07:42
I wonder if anyone can help me? I hold a UK PPL for microlights, and am off to Florida to work for 6 months. Can I fly microlights (ultralights) there on my UK licence? I've 'phoned several US clubs, but no-one seems to know. I've applied to the CAA and FAA to have my licence accredited for the USA. Also, if I want to upgrade to a GA PPL (JAA), do I need a student visa, given that I already have a licence? Any help gratefully received!!

fluffycloud
29th Jun 2006, 12:37
Hi, I think the situation in the USA is you don't actually need a licence to fly an ultralight (I know several people who just fly them from thier back yards). The trick will be finding someone who will rent a machine to you. Most of the ones I found were more for training or tourist flights (brilliant floats quiksilver in Key West).

I also have a UK microlight rating and when I wnet to the states, I ended up just flying Cessnas (as it was actually cheaper to use my PPL). If you do a google search for ultralights you should get a fair few hits. Florida has some - but few and far between.

Good luck
fluffy

B2N2
4th Jul 2006, 11:55
This might be the website you are looking for:

http://aerotrek.us/