PDA

View Full Version : Lost my way

aw8565
27th Jun 2006, 23:19
I've wanted to be a pilot for as long as I can remember.

Colour Vision Deficiency, no chance of job with airline, dreams dashed...

Restricted Class 2 medical and a job on the ground at Gatwick, things looking up.

I started my PPL 2.5 years ago.

I have flown about 25 hours with my first solo at 11 hours. My first instructor was FANTASTIC .... but then he joined an airline. My second instructor was also fantastic and also joined an airline. Genuinely very happy for them both and hope to bump into them on the Gatwick circuit soon. 3rd instructor is also fab but I've lost my drive to fly.

I still think about flying every waking moment, took and passed all my exams in January and got 100% in 4 of them.

Before Christmas my instructor thought I was ready for solo nav but this never transpired as I didn't have the exam. Then I was broke after Christmas. It's been ages since I last flew and when I did I found I was rubbish at it because I was supposed to be doing nav but couldn't hold height or heading as I was so rusty. Now I know next time I go up, it's going to be awful again. Then as I get better the weather will screw me up and when the weather is nice again I'll be sitting at work watching everyone else go flying. And getting PAID fo it!

I thought about going to the States but it'll cost Ģ600 odd just to get there and I've heard all these horror stories of dreadful schools etc. and I have to get a visa and time off work.... blah blah and I feel like I'm going round in circles.

I don't like to bitch and moan but I'm at my wits end, even considering 'doing my PPL later' when circumstances are better but not really knowing when that is, if ever, and not wanting to be an 'older' person saying I wish I'd done that back then..... It doesn't help that every time I phone my school to speak to my instructor about this he's either flying or not there, and never calls me back despite the staff saying they'll leave a message asking him to. I've only EVER wanted to be a pilot and now I'm actually close to tears writing this as it feels like my dream is slipping away...

Any comments much appreciated...

Halfbaked_Boy
27th Jun 2006, 23:53
Two things -

1) Colour deficiency... I am sure you have explored all options regarding a Class 1 medical when affected with said problem, but I have heard some people are eligible for a 'lantern test'? I am very rusty in this area so please correct me if I am wrong.

2) If you want to earn money from flying and make a relatively decent income, have you considered moving to the U.S. and instructing part time (FAA Class 2 only needed for instruction in the states) and then filling the rest of the time working on the ground at a large airport, using the skills you have acquired over here, which is probably where the larger paycheck lies!

Just something to think about,

Cheers, Jack.

scooter boy
28th Jun 2006, 00:03
Dear aw8565,
you have ahd a rough time of it with no continuity at all by the sound of things.
Irrespective of how excellent the tuition is over here our lousy UK weather (even in the summer) can give you long stretches of not flying and really doesn't help your situation.
My advice - go to the USA and get it finished off. You can do the ground school in the UK so that your time over there is mainly spent flying.
I have had excellent experience of the flights schools where I got my FAA ASEL ('94) and then IR (2000).
Sounds like you need continuity, good weather, a professional can-do attitude and a dedicated period of time set aside to get your license.
Forget the air fare - you will save a lot more than that with the strong pound and costs being so much less over there.
Carpe Diem etc...;)

Blinkz
28th Jun 2006, 00:57
as has been said being colourblind is not necessarily a bar to gaining a class one medical. Look in the medical forum and check out the two big threads on colourvision and you will find loads of information from people who are/were in your situation. Don't give up hope, I am colourblind and managed after quite a struggle to get a class one.

Whirlybird
28th Jun 2006, 06:40
Another alternative is to become a microlight instructor - you don't need a Class 1 medical for that And you might get more continuity in your training, as microlight instructors don't go off to the airlines. And the job is quite well paid, especially if you start your own school - do a search on this too. :ok:

Kolibear
28th Jun 2006, 08:27
Before Christmas my instructor thought I was ready for solo nav but this never transpired as I didn't have the exam.

Is this a new requirement, or just something peculiar to aw8565's school?

Now I know next time I go up, it's going to be awful again. Then as I get better the weather will screw me up and when the weather is nice again I'll be sitting at work watching everyone else go flying. And getting PAID fo it!

Sorry, but thats the way it works. The less you do - the worse you get. The more you do - the better you get. Its the same for all of us. Right now its a beautiful day, sunny, clear, the aircraft is available, I've got some spare holiday & I'm at work. :{

So get back in the cockpit & got for it! You'll have flights where everything you do goes wrong and others when everything is perfect. But if you don't start, you'll never finish.

davidatter708
28th Jun 2006, 16:21
This may sound harsh but If your loosing interest in it then why spend the money as it no longer bothers you. But everyone has their good and bad days so stick with it till your where u were and dont leave such a big gap and u wont get as rusty
David

foxmoth
28th Jun 2006, 16:32
I does not sound to me that he has lost interest, just going through a bad patch, it may be worth taking an hour or so to consolidate where you are, use ths time to enjoy flying and not beat yourself up over little things, you will probably find the pressure to move forward is actually holding you back!
Good luck and enjoy it:ok:

Jamongris
28th Jun 2006, 19:31
Why donīt you try going up in the right seat with someone. You can learn a lot sometimes just by watching and getting to talk to other, more experienced pilots, and I would put money on it giving you back the itch to fly.

Check out the spare seats section. Thereīs almost certain to be someone near you. Iīd take you myself, but I fly in Madrid these days, unless you feel like coming out here. Good luck and donīt despair :ok:

aw8565
29th Jun 2006, 06:15
Many thanks for all the comments guys. I'm going to take stock for sure, and I think you're right about the pressure to progress is holding me back and that I should remind myself to enjoy it.

Many thanks again

Regards, Andy

Davidt
29th Jun 2006, 09:40
Aw
I got into a right pickle 1/2 way through my training. It sounds like for pretty much the same reasons, I had a different instructor just about every lesson, all used different nemonics placed emphasis different places etc. My hours were building but I wasnt progressing.

The CFI took me up one time and recognised what was going on and took me under his wing and from then on I flew with him until nearly the end of the course.

The other mistake I made at the start was booking one hour per week.Allowing for crap British w/x, airplanes breaking, hoidays etc I was lucky to fly occasionally. I then started booking Saturday and Sunday one hour each my chances of getting a fly doubled.

Dont give up its a great sport I'm looking to log my 1000th hour some time this summer if we get some decent w/x :ok:

Paris Dakar
29th Jun 2006, 11:31
aw8565,

I've nothing really to add to the good advice that has already been given but would say as part of your stock take, consider leaving the shores of blighty behind and otping for sunnier climes. The CAA website provides details of FTOs offering JAA training outside of the UK.

Good luck, and don't consider giving it up until all avenues have been explored.