PDA

View Full Version : Reality Check:

jondc9
26th Jun 2006, 20:59
hi

I will conduct a simple poll. answer these questions. we will assume anyone answering the question holds an ATP. (unless you mention otherwise)

In your career have you ever seen:

pilots, on duty, reading non aviation required books or magazines?

pilots sleeping on duty in the cockpit?

pilots not doing checklists, or hurrying checklists, or answering checklists without really checking things?

someone pencil whip a write up?

good pilots get blamed for something they didn't do?

bad pilots getting away with something they shouldn't have gotten away with?

and:

In flying, is it better to be good or lucky?

regards

jon

Chesty Morgan
26th Jun 2006, 21:05
Yes - Every day...
Yes - Every week...
Yes - Every sector...

Dunno what pencil whiping means!
Yes - Occasionally...
Yes - Far too often...

You can have all the luck in the world but it doesn't matter if you don't know what to do with it. GOOD.

CM

jondc9
26th Jun 2006, 21:08
thanks!

pencil whipping is the distasteful practice of fixing the paperwork rather than fixing the maintenance write up.

I hope all of you will take part in this quiz.

jon

Chesty Morgan
26th Jun 2006, 21:09
In that case.

Pencil whiping - Yes.

:ok:

slender
26th Jun 2006, 21:16
YEEEESSS!!
Any other questions mate?:)

Old Smokey
26th Jun 2006, 23:29
Yes (Common)
Yes (Common on long haul)
Yes (Part 1 Rarely, Part 2 occasionally, Part 3 Frequently)
Yes (Common amongst the "Mustang" engineers, they fix it with their P51 (Parker 51) pen)
Rarely (Except in the neanderthal management era when it was common)
Rarely (Except in the neanderthal management era when it was common)

and :

Much better to TRY to be good. If anyone ever achieves perfection, please let us know.

Regards,

Old Smokey

vapilot2004
27th Jun 2006, 00:06
1. All of the time
2. Does dozing count ?
3. Usually not intentional, but yes
4. Not directly observed on a critical item (yet), but have seen it on little stuff many times
5. More than once, sadly enough
6. See #5

I have always heard that 'good luck' is the residue of skill. :ok:

Rainboe
27th Jun 2006, 00:42
Is there a point or specific aim of this poll or is it just to while away time?

jondc9
27th Jun 2006, 05:13
there is a point, which will be made known after about 100 replies.

j

FlightDetent
27th Jun 2006, 07:59
Yes, almost on daily basis.
Yes, rarely. Only few occasions were "the controlled rest".
Yes, now and then.

Yes. Although I believe those were mis-informed pushes for simple solutions rather than intentional "workarounds"-
Not yet.
Not yet.

puddle-jumper2
27th Jun 2006, 08:43
Yes, quite often.

Only twice in 18 years - but I'm not long haul.

a) very rare b) quite often c) Yes

Yes

Have not seen this yet.

Yes, seen this twice. Both cases were serious and both were management !:=

OzExpat
27th Jun 2006, 12:18
I'm with OS on the first 4, viz...
Yes (Common)
Yes (Common on long haul)
Yes (Part 1 Rarely, Part 2 occasionally, Part 3 Frequently)
Yes (Common amongst the "Mustang" engineers, they fix it with their P51 (Parker 51) pen)
For the others...
Yes, and
Yes!!!!:mad: :mad:

Finally, there are times in every career when being "good" isn't enough. You DO need an element of luck at other times. However, if you aren't "good" the chances of "luck" seeing you through will be GREATLY diminished. Thus, being "good" is a really good start! :ok:

UP and Down Operator
27th Jun 2006, 13:48
1. Yes - rarely as flying shorthaul
2. Yes - rarely, see above
3. Yes - Often
4. Yes - but not often (as i know of :hmm: )
5. Yes - it happens, but mostly for F/O's with ****ty C/O's :}
6. Yes - Often :{ :ugh: :* := :bored: :(

To be a "good" pilot you have to be GOOD. Cannot rely on luck alone, and luck alone will not give you the confidence, attitude and respect with your collegues, hence it is not good for crew morale, leading to others maybe more lazy attitudes to things, leading to reduced crew performance, leading to CRM issues, leading to general decreased safety on board leading to..........

Luck IS good and you need it from time to time, but SKILLS and ATTITUDE (the right one :E )is the key to everyday succes on the job :ok:

my stolen penny :}

Trogdor
27th Jun 2006, 19:33
YES
NO
YES
NO
YES
YES

I agree, it is better to be good rather than lucky. At some point the luck is going to run out, then you'd better watch out.

Hahn
27th Jun 2006, 20:01
6 times "yes", and you better be good, damn good, since you never know, when destiny is gonna strike. But to be honest: for 6 "yes" I have seen a good handfull of "NO"s as well, so be fair!

westhawk
28th Jun 2006, 07:29
pilots, on duty, reading non aviation required books or magazines?

Yes, during times of low workload such as cruise when one crewmember agrees to "mind the store". Similar to the accommodation for meals or completing paperwork. Not a problem in normal operations, though I personally prefer to converse. I do not personally prefer to read for entertainment during flight, though I don't object if the other guy does.

pilots sleeping on duty in the cockpit?

No, not for long anyway! If the other guy is that tired, then maybe I am too. He will stay awake to keep me awake.

pilots not doing checklists, or hurrying checklists, or answering checklists without really checking things?

Yes. If he doesn't do it, I will. If he doesn't do it properly, I will. Of course, I will request a better effort be made to "keep me honest". We will discuss it further at an appropriate time and place if it is necessary since the cockpit is not an appropriate venue for an a$$ chewin'.

someone pencil whip a write up?

Yes. Only at the lowest of lowball operators does this really happen. What pilot hasn't at least believed that this has been done to one of their writeups so the airplane could be dispatched? Some pilots might be qualified to actually make this judgement, but most aren't. I worked as an A&P mechanic for a long time and only knew one mechanic who knowingly did this. (we took care of him quietly, as he was also a thief) I have heard of a few other instances though. Exceptions to the rule. Most of the time, it is "could not duplicate on the ground", "Removed, cleaned, re-installed, op ck good", or some variation of did not find a problem. Maybe a deferral per the MEL. Because many pilots simply have no understanding of what goes into troubleshooting a writeup or how that widget really works, some think the worst when their writeup does not generate the results they desire. These are the usually the same fellows who make up a writeup just to extend their lunch break. Where the pilots and mechanics work together toward the goal of flying safely and in accordance with the rules, there is little reason to "pencil whip" a writeup. Even when economic or other pressures encourage a lower standard, I think mechanics who get up in the morning and say "I think I'd like to compromise my integrity and risk my career today by making fraudulent signoffs" is about as common as a pilot who gets up and says "I'd like to go out and compromise my integrity and risk my career by exceeding flight and duty time limitations today and then falsify the logs to cover it up". While there may well be such individuals in our business, they are the extreme exception. Not to say it NEVER happens. Just that this question appears to support the assertation that a squawk which has not been resolved has been "pencil whipped". Those who have worked around the mx side of the house know this is not commonly the case. It is indicative of the "us versus them" mentality at it's most ugly.

good pilots get blamed for something they didn't do?

Yes, unfortunately. Company politics are a distasteful blemish upon any job. It also depends on one's definition of a "good pilot"! Good from who's perspective?

Yes. See previous answer.

The good are in a far better position to benefit from good luck and more likely to survive without it. Synergy! Good luck is also sometime referred to as the "confluence of preparedness and opportunity".

Can't wait to see your conclusions, Jon. Don't wait for 100 responses! Do tell.

Best regards,

Westhawk

Old Smokey
28th Jun 2006, 13:23
westhawk,

I smiled at your "could not duplicate on the ground" remark. I once had an engine that ran back to ground idle when the thrust levers were closed in flight. I wrote it up in the Tech Log as described. The engineer's write-off was, as you said, "could not duplicate on the ground".

A personal thought to the "Luck" theme in the thread, is that those pilots who believe that luck is a factor in their lives, are destined to have a lot of the bad type.:ooh:

Regards,

Old Smokey

Treetopflyer
28th Jun 2006, 14:03
YES -- If Flight International, Air Classics and the like are "non aviation required magazines"...
YES -- Often in companies where duty time limitations are overlooked (and probably on long haul).
YES -- As had been said, 1 rarely, 2 sometimes, 3 often.

YES -- With most operators I've worked for, unfortunately... :ouch:
YES -- Sometimes, and
OOOOH YES... too many times!!! :yuk:

As with being good or lucky... Well, it's better to be both... Too many good pilots out there ran out of luck and bought the farm...:sad:

jondc9
28th Jun 2006, 20:05
Keep these responses coming please! my predictions seem to be right on target, but more samples are required for proper data.

regards

jon

westhawk
28th Jun 2006, 20:06
I smiled at your "could not duplicate on the ground" remark. I once had an engine that ran back to ground idle when the thrust levers were closed in flight. I wrote it up in the Tech Log as described. The engineer's write-off was, as you said, "could not duplicate on the ground".

Glad you smiled, Old Smokey! It's good for the soul!

I would not find that to be an acceptable signoff either. I hope the engineer in question was embarrassed, rather than indignant when you confronted him!

Best regards,

Westhawk

Old Smokey
29th Jun 2006, 01:27
He was more than a little embarrassed westhawk, particularly when his bosses queried him on the reasons for the next operating pilot's write-up (mine) of "Rectification noted in previous Tech Log entry is unacceptable for further flight". This, apparently unprecedented Tech Log entry, was followed up by some REAL engineers pulling the Ground/Flight Circuit Breaker and carrying out an engine run. Lo and behold, all of the engines except No.2 ran up to Flight Idle, whilst No.2 steadfastly remained in Ground mode.

My own story pales into insignificance compared to a colleague's post test flight report that "Aileron movement is very restricted under flight loads, movement is normal on the ground". You guessed it, the SAME engineer wrote up as Rectification - "could not duplicate on the ground".

Thankfully, he no longer works for us!:ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey

FLCH
29th Jun 2006, 11:53
Getting back to your poll:
1.Yes
2.Yes
3.Yes
4.No...none that I've personally witnessed, or executed.
5.Yes
6.Yes if you mean bad pilots are incompetent.
7. We can all strive to be good, but not lucky (but having lots of luck and being good would be the best.)

Good luck with the data, I'd sure like to see the end result.

Dream Land
30th Jun 2006, 09:28
YES to all.

Dani
30th Jun 2006, 10:26
I don't know where this poll leads to (to blame or not to blame the "offenders"), but the questions are put in a way to compromise our cockpit work.
Let me state this:
Whoever it is (pilot or management), you always make mistakes, that's why we forget checklist (or part of it), innocense pilots get punished and guilty ones get away.
Scientific researches show that pilots who are relaxed and rested are better performing in stress situation. That's why power nap is to be prefered (max 20 min), people should do other things in calm periods, like going to the toilet, chat with the cabin/passengers, eating in the cabin, moving around, reading. I remember a Swedish research where they put two groups of pilots in the cockpit, one group was only allowed to stare at the instruments, the other could read the newspapers. The second group did much better of course.
Dani

[edited for grammar...]

jayteeto
30th Jun 2006, 13:02
Pilots, on duty, reading non aviation required books or magazines?
Yes, does watching the rugby on a hand held TV count?

Pilots sleeping on duty in the cockpit?
Yes, if you do a deal with the other pilot you can get a few hours in to sleep off the hangover!

Pilots not doing checklists, or hurrying checklists, or answering checklists without really checking things?
Checks are for wimps!

Someone pencil whip a write up?
Pencil Whip?? Baseball batted more like!!

Good pilots get blamed for something they didn't do?
If you can get away with it, stitch the Co-pilot or navigator every time.

If they do get away with it, then that makes them good!!

Lucky every time mate, being good requires effort.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can I have my name in the paper Mr Journalist reading this. I can confirm that pilots are alcoholic risk takers who should all be arrested at the airport for risking peoples lives every day. Can we add a question?

How many of you have gone flying boozed up?

PS. One of the above is true .......

Bob Lenahan
4th Jul 2006, 16:31
Yes to all

Oblique96
5th Jul 2006, 15:14
Yes, but only mid-Atlantic in a Belslow
No
Yes
Yes
Yes
No