PDA

View Full Version : CAA/JAA Aviation Medical & related issues

Pages : 1 [2] 3

fonz77
16th Feb 2005, 00:00
My names Turkish, check your pm's

Jimmy The Big Greek
17th Feb 2005, 19:58
I have a greek jar-fcl medical and I want to convert my FAA ATPL in spain do I need to retake the medical in spain (country of issue). I know this is possible in the U.K but I'am not sure if its so in spain-

Alicia.C
17th May 2005, 13:08
Hi everybody!

I'm sure most of you guys here have taken the Class 1 medical. Can anyone explain it to me, i.e. why it takes so long and costs so much? What exactly is required of me? I need a Class 1 medical certificate to start my integrated course soon.

Thanks.

Boeing737
17th May 2005, 13:15
search the forums.its been asked to death!
:E

F.O.E.
17th May 2005, 22:33
Was down at Gatwick on Friday for my initial medical, no crazy tests or anything its all pretty straight forward........

PM me with what you wanna know

flyingonempty

oliverpollard
17th May 2005, 23:48
Hi There - I had mine at Gatwick last year - it does take at least 3 hours.
A) Firstly you change into a robe and have to go around like your on holiday for the morning.
B) There are so many test. eg the eye test takes a good 45 mins. Its very thorough and done by a friendly guy
C) Electrocardigram take a long time
D) Many other test inc. ears, body movement, blood
E) A friendly chat
F) Some waiting in between.

Good luck - its not fun - but a clean bill of health at the end - you hope!

cosworth211
18th May 2005, 01:18
Its expensive because everything in aviation is a rip off! I had my initial a couple of months ago. They want to know -

Hearing - across 500-3000hz under 20db damage (allowed 35 @ 3000)
Kidneys - not diabetic
Eyesight - not colour blind and to a reasonable standard, with lenses as required.
General look over - dont worry about this. I pickled my liver through uni and didnt make a damn difference. Dont do it now mind.
ECG - looking for heart murmours etc.
Haemoglobin - check for iron deficincies. Youd know if you had this.
Cholesterol - check purely for your sake. If high issue warning. Stay off the kebabs and pizza!
Peak flow - asthmatics are allowed, but not chronic asthmatics. Need to peak flow somewhere over 350. If you cant make that you can barely walk in the CAA building as it is.

Remember people are passing the initial well into their 40's! renewals are far less strict.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but anyone should pass unless they have a condition that they would obviously be unfit to fly in the first place.

Try www.caa.co.uk, and click on medicals for further information, or call their Gatwick number on 01293 573700, they are very helpful if you have any questions. You can also book your medical on this number.

Good luck!

G SXTY
18th May 2005, 09:29
Just a word of advice – eyesight seems to be one of the biggest stumbling blocks.

It’s worth getting an optician to check your eyes before you go to Gatwick – you can print off the class 1 eyesight requirements from the CAA’s website to show them.

For around £15 they should be able to tell you whether your vision is good enough, which is a lot cheaper than paying the CAA £400 just to find out you can only get a class 2.

Alicia.C
18th May 2005, 15:42
Thank you to those who provided constructive advice. 'Boeing737', I had searched the forum but no one thread came up with the information I was looking for.

Everyone's help is much appreciated.

Alicia.

ramshorn
23rd Jun 2005, 16:06
Hi
I all set to leave uk next week to continue my flight training after not doing alot of flying for last couple of years.Got my class 1 medical certificate out yesterday to find that it was valid from 16th september 2002.As far as i know this then drops down to class 2 after a year unless renewed.My question is : Does it stay valid as a class 2 for 1 year or 2 years?
Thanks

Icerman
22nd Aug 2005, 13:33
Would it be cheaper to get a JAA class 1 medical in eastern europe or other non-EU countries? I wouldn't mind travelling to Romania or Turkey to get it. I am currently expecting to spend about 800€ in N. Europe.

Cheers,
Icer

simkin
22nd Aug 2005, 13:55
Icer,

Following thread could well be of use to you:

Alternatives to Gatwick for JAA Class 1 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=176153)

All the best, Sim

Icerman
22nd Aug 2005, 15:53
Thank's a lot Simkin! Surely don't mind visiting Prague :ok:

Jeheim
23rd Aug 2005, 21:13
Hi Icer,

I got my class 1 medical in Istanbul in Turkey for about 120 pounds. The best place to go is, the American Hospital in Istanbul. They will issue you with a JAA Class 1 Medical.

For training and licensing purposes, if you then need to convert it to a CAA class 1 medical, all you need to do is send the JAA certificate to the CAA in Gatwick, and they'll convert it for you for only 10 pounds.

Hope this helps!

James

Icerman
24th Aug 2005, 07:33
Thank’s Jeheim. I can get cheap flights to Turkey so it’s worth considering. I was in contact with Lithuanian CAA who I found to be very friendly and helpful. However even though they are a JAA member state they told me they can't issue JAA medicals. Would anyone know if Estonia or Latvia can issue JAA medicals?

Regards,
Icer

diverine
24th Aug 2005, 11:12
I just got a price from the Greek CAA. 150 euros for Class 1 medical...

Hey Icer,

check out the JAA website:

<http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/licensing_overview.html>

you can find out what country can authorize what on that webpage....

Regards,

Icerman
24th Aug 2005, 12:19
Thank you Diverine.

Oh man, my class 2 is going to cost the same.. :O

Kristian17
18th Sep 2005, 13:45
Do you recommend getting a medical before applying to places like OAT or FTE? Or should you wait until you get accepted onto a course?

Thanks for your help
Kristian

Farrell
18th Sep 2005, 14:07
You will have to have the Class 1 before you will even be considered for getting on a course.

If you have any doubts about something that might disqualify you from holding a Class 1, then go and have a chat with the CAA about it.

Good luck!

Farrell :ok:

All Mod Cons
12th Mar 2006, 19:57
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help with this question. I've read through LASORS section D a couple of times but havent found my answer.

I passed the CPL/ME skills test last October following a modular training path. I was (am) about 10 hours short of the required 100 hours p1 time for licence application and intended to fly this off immediately after the test.

However, life being as it is and throwing things at you, something came up and I had to use all my 'flying' finances elsewhere. I haven't flown since the test.

I plan to fly the required hours in the next 2 or 3 months and get the application in. Even if I can't go any futher with my training right now, I don't want to 'waste' the CPL pass. The skills test is valid for 1 year for the purpose of licence application.

My question... do the CAA require you to hold a class 1 medical at the time of application or just at the time of the skills test? Mine lapsed back to a class 2 at the end of last year.

Many thanks,

Keygrip
12th Mar 2006, 20:41
Valid medical at time of licence application (doesn't have to be valid at time of skill test - but ideally would be).

OF MORE IMPORTANT NOTE!!! If the multi engine CPL skill test that you did, included your Multi Engine Piston Class Rating THAT BIT is only valid for six months - not twelve.

If you don't already have a multi engine piston class rating in your licence (presumably PPL) then GET THAT CLASS RATING APPLICATION IN BEFORE THE END OF SIX MONTHS!!

All Mod Cons
13th Mar 2006, 09:10
Thanks for that information. I'd missed the point about 6 months for the MEP application.
I'll have to get the class 1 renewed (though I don't need that for the hour building) and get on with it!

Regards.

<<edit: AMC - forgive the edit, it's just quicker for me than a reply. You don't need the medical for the class rating or the hour building - so save the cash until you're ready - but get that MEP application in before the end of the six months.

CONSIDER a short holiday in the Florida if you can find a cheap 7 day return with a lo-cost charter. 10 hours of time building does not require a visa and you could renew your class one medical here, too. Just try a cost exercise and see which works out best. PM if you have direct questions.>>

mcgoo
16th Apr 2006, 10:53
if you going to get a commercial license you may as well get the class 1 now, it may cost £400 for the first one but it's only about £110 to renew, and like you stated if they do find something it's better to know now than when you have spent xx amount of thousands on training.

bjkeates
16th Apr 2006, 12:02
Current cost of class 1 is £302, as they've removed the EEG and Chest X-ray from the procedure.

smith
17th Apr 2006, 00:43
A class 1 reverts to a class 2 at the expiry of the class 1 for a certain amount of time. Best to get Class 1 initially and when it lapses continue flying with class 2 privelidges. Class 1 only needs renewed when applying for CPL/IR issue as professional training s always carried out dual.

smith
7th May 2006, 09:39
Mine has ran out and reverted to Class II, I am thinking of doing the IR first, my question is do I need the Class I for doing the CPL and IR as they are both under instruction or do I only need the Class I for license issue?

Also how many hours P1 are required to start the IR (prior to CPL).

Thanks

Smith

clarityinthemurk
8th May 2006, 10:55
I understand that the IR requires as a minimum a Class 2 medical with Class 1 hearing privileges. Now, even though your Class 1 has expired, if you look at the next hearing test dates on the Class 1 certificate, you may well find that these are still some way in the future. So, in theory you may be ok.

However, I do not know anyone who has actually used this, and many schools for “insurance” purposes may require you to revalidate the Class 1 anyway before they allow you fly IMC in their aircraft.

Better call or write to your licensing authority, and when you get the official line, post it here. :)

BigGrecian
8th May 2006, 14:38
Smith - you could have answered all your questions using LASORS - read that first next time.

LASORS E1.2
When applying for an IR(A) you must produce evidence
of having met the following flying requirements:-
50 hours cross-country flight time as PIC in
aeroplanes or helicopters, of which at least 10 hours
shall be in aeroplanes.
You must also have a night rating as also detailed in E1.2

LASORS D1.7
An applicant for a JAR-FCL CPL(A) shall hold a valid
JAR-FCL Class 1 Medical Certificate.
FULL DETAILS OF MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
ARE CONTAINED IN JAR-FCL 3 AND SECTION A5
So therefore you need the Class 1 for CPL issue but only Class 2 for training.

RITZER82
15th May 2006, 21:59
Greetings all, just a quick important question that has cropped up in my head, what happens if you have completed your fATPL course and then you fail your medical, is there some sort of an insurance policy that enables some sort of a refund towards the training cost, and while we are on this subject can somebody provide me a link please on where I can take my medical as I live in London all assiatance will be much appreciated, thanks.:)

Whirlygig
15th May 2006, 22:02
Your Class 1 initial medical has to be taken at Gatwick - look on the CAA website for details - after that, any AME with a number beginning with a 1 can do the renewal.

I would recommend you do your Class 1 first before you start studying as that is the toughest one to get through.

You can get Loss of Licence insurance but it is costly as probably wouldn't be worth it if all you stand to lose is the cost of ground school.

Cheers

Whirls

Con-Trail
15th May 2006, 22:05
If it is a respectable ATPL training school they will probably push you to do your Class 1 medical before you start your training...

C-T

RITZER82
15th May 2006, 22:09
Thanks for the thunder lightening response guys wow, how long are class 1 medicals valid for, thanks.:)

Con-Trail
15th May 2006, 22:12
A class 1 is valid for 12 months if you are younger than 40 years old. When you get 40 you will have to get a renewal every 6 months

C-T

smith
16th May 2006, 07:52
You could get to PPL, Hour building, ATPL ground exams stage without a class 1. However a class 1 is requred for CPL issue, and valid class 1 audigram is required for IR. Although you can do the CPL without the class 1 as it is dual, it is required for license issue, consequently you could not take the MCC.

So in response to your question you could not gain an fATPL then fail the medical. You could fail the medical which would disallow you to reach fATPL.

If you are talking about a Class 1 renewal failure then this could be a possibility, however I note that you do not have a Class1 yet. Best advice is take class1 first.

Rob's Dad
16th May 2006, 19:15
Ritzer

Had same concerns - lot of money to shell out then lose your medical day after finishing your MCC! Like everyone else I would recommend you obtain your Class 1 medical first then you know for sure, but you can insure agianst loss of training fees etc with several companies - quick web-search will reveal some: one I know of is www.traffords-insurance.co.uk (http://www.traffords-insurance.co.uk).

RD

RITZER82
16th May 2006, 22:58
Thanks once again for the info guys.:)

d2k73
21st May 2006, 13:36
My current class 1 medical is Issued by the Irish Aviation Authority, as I am attending the JAA Career Pilot Programme in NAC starting next month do I need to get a CAA Class 1?

Any help appreciated.

tu154
22nd May 2006, 01:34
I think probably, though you may not. In my experience though it is easier to do everything through the one system so I recommend you do. Ask the aeromedical centre to send your details to the CAA, look on the CAA website and you will find a form to convert your medical. Ensure the IAA know you are only changing your medical and not your state of licence issue as unless you can prove you now live in the UK, you will not be entitled to do this.

Just another student
5th Jun 2006, 19:41
I have attempted a search but found no real relevant information, so I apologise if this has been mentioned before.

In short, my MEP and IR will be due for renewal for the first time later this summer and my class 1 medical is due to expire later this month. Money is very tight, so all I really need to know is what needs to be renewed as a priority? My class one medical would seem to be a no-brainer, if this lapses, would it cause any problems other than I could not fly on my CPL?

Cheers

JAS

sawotanao
5th Jun 2006, 20:13
JAS, Ref; MEP/IR/Class1Med',
I too have to renew all the above this summer. I'm gona try and get 'em all up to date, but if your job hunting I'd definately get the Medical and IR done.You never know, but you may get a last minute call.:ugh:
Good Luck.
Ps Look into doing the Ir renewal at Bournemouth with Mike Boulton on the FNPT2 ( Do a search), thats if money's an issue.:ok:

Just another student
5th Jun 2006, 20:24
sawotanao, thanks for the tip.I know someone who would be able to help me out with the IR renewal, I'm just worried about how long it would take for me to get up to speed and pass lol :) It shouldn't be too bad, I'll start hitting rant again.......... its a bad situation, applying for airline positions, yet not having the money to keep current :(

Ahhh well, at least Instrument flying is what I love :}

:ok:

IRISHPILOT
6th Jun 2006, 05:33
hello there.
First of all, depending on what you want to do later, there may be no need for the ME to be kept current. - If your goal is a multicrew aircraft, all you will need is the multi IR to be current, and for this an FNPT2 is sufficient. Maybe a few hours of a simpler (and cheaper) sim thrown in before.
If you do need the ME too, then may I suggest bemoair.cz (I have no affiliation - just a happy customer). Their L200 Morava is well maintained and one of the cheaper options of flying a ME aircraft (I think it was 220 Euros / hour all incl.). Of course their instructors are JAR.
And on your way you can do your medical class 1 renewal, no appointment needed and 55 Euros (this January, when I did it). - All the info is here on this site.
cheers, IP

Jenson Button
6th Jun 2006, 08:11
Have a serious think about this. I'm sure that you can raise the funds - you've demonstrated that by doing the CPL/IR in the first place !!!

Remember that if you do not renew the IR, chances are that a job or job application form will come up where you are asked "ARE you current". And there will be more than 5 or 6 other bods who did make the effort to be current and will get ahead of you who is not ?

Why reduce your slim chances of getting a flying job by not making a bit of effort once a year ? Its a cut throat world out there. Granted, that most operators don't always require you to be Mep current, but doesn't it say something about the candidate that feels that he/she does not need to make a bit of effort with their career ?

Good Luck - there are plenty of places to renew ratings and they don't have to be done at scabair or twoxford prices.

Just another student
6th Jun 2006, 11:15
Jenson Button, its not the effort that is an issue, I will always give my career all I can. Its the lack of a job and paying out for my loan with zero income, the two don't go together. I do have a possible short term contract for a ramp job coming up, if I don't get it (due to paperwork issues) then I have a problem.

I can get my IR renewal done fairly cheply at my old FTO, but I may have to beg, borrow and steal yet again to do it. That is the point :(

The main question is...... do I have to be current to be able to apply to airlines?

Cheers

JAS

T668BFJ
6th Jun 2006, 13:47
According to JAR prior to starting a type rating, must have a current Multi Engine Instrument Rating.
You must also have a medical that is valid and covers the period in which you intend the licence to be issued.
Additionally it must be current if your training requires (base training) circuits in the real aircraft.

Sorry dont remember where I read it.

GusHoneybun
6th Jun 2006, 14:27
the only thing you need to apply to the airlines is a stamp.

however, without a valid medical and IR you will find your application will soon be filed in the round metal recepticle. and speaking from experience, when you do get a call from a company, it will be a call on thursday, interview friday, type rating starting on the monday. without your medical or IR you won't get the call on the thursday.

bite the bullet and get yourself current.

Craggenmore
6th Jun 2006, 15:57
when you do get a call from a company, it will be a call on thursday, interview friday, type rating starting on the monday. without your medical or IR you won't get the call on the thursday.

No truer words spoken...

Just another student
6th Jun 2006, 16:06
Thanks for the advice. To be honest I always thought that I should do all I can to renew, i'm just starting to feel the pinch of financial pressure that we all go through.

Can't wait to get in the FNPT ll again :}

What was that word again? Interview was it? Would love to see one of them ;) :)

Cheers

JAS

Jenson Button
7th Jun 2006, 15:58
Just another student,

I fully agree with Cragg and Co.

I know the money side is painful...been there done that and got the t-shirt.

To be honest matey, if it means pulling a few more pints, cleaning a few more toilets, even pimping your body on some street corner with a "women/bloke" three times your age. It will be bleedin worth it, if the next day you get that lucky phone call.

"What did you do to go the extra mile ?" - interview question !!!!

Beg, borrow, steal if you have to.

Good luck.

Just another student
7th Jun 2006, 16:34
even pimping your body on some street corner with a "women/bloke" three times your age. It will be bleedin worth it, if the next day you get that lucky phone call.

LOL

Reminds me of a scene out of the film 'Team America' :)

How have you gone the extra mile? (asks the Chief Captain)..........
I was broke and ...well she was 104 years old and 35 stone.... I don't really want to talk about it ;)

I'll get the money some how, most of us have been in the same situation at some point or another. I just hope in a few years time I can think back to now and smile, knowing that I have achieved what I set out to do.

I'll hop in a FNPT ll and get my Multi IR sorted, will be good fun anyway as my examiner is a top bloke.

Now then........... I know I've got a black balaclava and a pair of nylon tights around here somewhere..... hmmmmm... where is nearest bank? :} ;)

Cheers

JAS

SparkyBoy
26th Jun 2006, 19:00
London, UK

Does anyone know of a good registered aviation doctor that can give me my Class II (Private) medical?

Also, how much does this usualy cost?

coodem
26th Jun 2006, 19:31
Go to the CAA website and check the AME's in you area. I would expect you will pay around £100-£150

SparkyBoy
27th Jun 2006, 07:45
Go to the CAA website and check the AME's in you area. I would expect you will pay around £100-£150

Great, thanks! :ok:

Jerry Springer
12th Sep 2006, 08:21
-Can any of the JAA theory exams be done without a JAA medical?

-Is it true that the initial medical must be done in the country where you hope to have your JAA license issued?

I am thinking of doing a JAA correspondence course based in Australia (with WA aviation college) but would I have to first obtain a JAA medical in Europe?

(I already hold a class 1 medical in Australia and the US)
Thanks.

razzele
30th Sep 2006, 09:07
I believe the only qualificaation requirement to sit an exam for a JAA ATPL is an ICAO PPL. The class 1 is due before commercial flight training / test. MIght be wise though to get one first as jaa medicals may have different tolerances to elsewhere.

mustflywillfly
4th Oct 2006, 13:31
Dear All

I have a JAA Class 1 (initial issue 23/08/2001) that expired 23/08/2002 I have been flying with this as it is valid for a class 2 for 5 years. On the 23/08/2006 it expired. Now ready to get airborne again with my PPL but possibly considering Commercial flying commencing in a couple of years am I:

a) Better just getting a Class 2 done lasting 2 years (now in my 30's)
or
b) Getting a Class 1 re-issued that lasts for 1 year or as a class 2 for 2 years.

If I go for the class 1 I will need a new electrocardiogram and a new audiogram, if I just go for the class 2 I will need audiogram only.

Any thoughts? Any idea how much I should be paying?

Thanks for your help on this one:ok:

EGBKFLYER
4th Oct 2006, 14:09
Get the class 2. Why pay extra for examinations you don't need now? You can always get a class 1 next time if you're at the stage where one is needed.

I'm due a class 1 next week with everything (extended eye exam, audio and ECG). Don't expect much change of £200:eek: at least. Last year I paid under £100. The AME sets the fee and so they vary greatly. Shop around!

Whirlygig
4th Oct 2006, 14:19
You can always get a class 1 next time

Really? What if you fail it!!

The initial class 1 medical has more stringent criteria than a renewal and, as none of us is getting any younger, I would recommend sooner, rather than later, if you have real commercial aspirations.

A lapsed Class 1 becomes a class 2 and so long as you get the Class 1 medical renewed with a class 2 time scale, you won't have to undergo the initial examination at Gatwick!

Cheers

Whirls

mustflywillfly
4th Oct 2006, 14:59
Cheers Chaps!

I have just spoken to an AME. He reckons that once you have had the initial class 1 then you never need it again regardless of timescales of the class 2. He suggested I go for a class 2 (£75) and then when needed get a class 1 renewal.

Does that make sense? I cannot fnd anything in LASORS or on the CAA website (maybe I am not trying hard enough!!)

MFWF

EGBKFLYER
4th Oct 2006, 15:57
:confused: Not sure I understand you Whirly...

Our colleague states he/she has held a class 1 previously, therefore any future class 1 will be a renewal or revalidation. This can be done at an appropriate AME. There is no clause about having to undergo an initial medical again.

My original advice is effectively what the AME recommended too.

LASORS mainly covers licencing. The CAA website has details on renewing/ revalidating medicals here: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_Med_Cert_Expiry_Dates.pdf but I couldn't find anything on the class 1 to class 2 reversion bits.

Blinkz
5th Oct 2006, 07:22
Cheers Chaps!

I have just spoken to an AME. He reckons that once you have had the initial class 1 then you never need it again regardless of timescales of the class 2. He suggested I go for a class 2 (£75) and then when needed get a class 1 renewal.

Does that make sense? I cannot fnd anything in LASORS or on the CAA website (maybe I am not trying hard enough!!)

MFWF

Sorry but the AME is wrong. There IS a limit to the class 1 initial medical, as has been said I'm pretty sure it is 5 years. If you let your Class 1 lapse for more then 5 years then you are required to return to the CAA and do another initial medical. Your best option would be to call the CAA medical department and speak to one of their advisors, they will be able to give you the correct information.

Pawn of God
11th Oct 2006, 12:45
i am planning 2 tke a medical test b4 i strt my uni course with pilot training. could you please temme wht the test contains. i mean is there anything that i can do to improve my medical status. 4 eg. do they look at your cardio fitness or how much i can lift etc. any help on this subject will be of great help.

thank you

scroggs
11th Oct 2006, 20:20
Firstly, there is no limit to the number of characters you may use on a post here, so please refrain from using text-speak. It is inconsiderate of those you hope will help you.

Secondly, the medical is not some childish strength test or fitness ordeal, it is a relatively simple check that you can see and hear adequately, and you're not imminently at risk of dying of some cardio-vascular disease.

Scroggs

_AIRMAN_
16th Oct 2006, 18:46
A lapsed Class 1 becomes a class 2 and so long as you get the Class 1 medical renewed with a class 2 time scale ...

:confused:
LASORS mainly covers licencing. The CAA website has details on renewing/ revalidating medicals here: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_Med_Cert_Expiry_Dates.pdf but I couldn't find anything on the class 1 to class 2 reversion bits.

This is really strange and frustrating. I've heard a lof of different stories ... Today I had my class 1 renewal and I asked the Doc himself about class 1 to 2 reversion. He said that after class 1 expires it's not automaticaly converted to class 2. Therefore solo PPL flying with expired JAA class 1 is illegal. (?) I really don't know what to believe. Can anybody point a paragraph in official jar-fcl docs about this issue? I can't find anything. Thanx.

Blinkz
16th Oct 2006, 19:51
The class 1 medical DOES become a class 2 on expiry. I have spoken to the CAA Medical department about it and they have confirmed this. You must renew the medical within 5 years of the class 1 expiring, or you have to do another initial medical.

dxbpilot
29th Oct 2006, 15:23
Hi,

I start my JAA ATPL course on the 20th of next month. I am currently in Dubai and am trying to organize my initial CAA medical so I can start the ground school. I currently hold a Class 1 Australian medical.

I have called the medical centre at Gatwick several times and I always get the same result which is to leave a recorded msg due to all operators being busy. I have left several msgs but I am guessing they re not getting back to me due to being overseas.

Is there any other way of booking this initial medical ? any ideas ?!

thanks

Finals19
29th Oct 2006, 15:46
dxbpilot,

I posted an identical thread in the Medical forum about a week ago - in exactly the same boat as you.

After many exasperating phone calls from Canada, and getting the same response as you are, I elected a family member in the UK to do the calling for me. A call was placed at bang on 0900 BST and by amazing luck they answered and said medical was booked on my behalf. Apparently if you leave a message, they will call you back wherever you are in the world (hmmm...with time change and the organisation required to do all this, I am personally doubtful)

Your best bet is to try and get someone in the UK to leave a message and get the CAA to call them back during UK working hours. Nice and simple for them. Otherwise, its pot luck really - leave a message, keep that mobile phone on all hours and hope they call. Crap system really isn't in when a medical costs anything between £260-£500!

dxbpilot
29th Oct 2006, 15:57
Thanks alot mate , i think i will contact the school and see if they can organize it for me .

Cheers

BlueRobin
29th Oct 2006, 18:00
Cost is £302.

If you have a sight prescription i.e. for specs or lenses, you will need to have a 'script that is less than 12 months old, else another sight test with your optician is required beforehand. In either case, the script will then need faxing to the clinic. If you do go to the optician, download and print off the Class 1 visual acuity regs from the CAA website (safety>medical).

captain_rossco
29th Oct 2006, 18:23
i managed it by phoning the main number as usual and then instead of dialling the extension for medical appointments, dial a different extension, you then apologise for pressing the wrong ext number, they swiftly transfer you (with priority) to the medical appts desk. A little crafty i know, but hey you have a) got your appointment and b) saved the poor soul dialling the line you are now occupying a few millipence in interest by delaying them paying whatever ridiculous amount over to the CAA's finest! (WITHOUT WHOM, I MUST STRESS WE WOULD ALL BE SCREWED HER HUM) ;-)

deep pockets :ok: rossco

Whirlygig
29th Oct 2006, 18:28
One thing to be careful of:-

When I booked my Class 1 medical (May 2005), the person I spoke to was careful to ensure that the date I selected was OK because there is no refund if you can't attend. I said the date was fine and confirmed it.

A few days later, I received a collection of bumpf in the post from the Medical Division and one of the memos stated that I may require a particular type of eye test which would involved squirting some "stuff" into my eye and it would mean that I would not be able to drive for a few hours as my vision would be blurred.

Oh great! Thanks for telling me!. I was straight on the phone to them and pointed out that if there are no refunds for cancellations, then this sort of information should be mentioned BEFORE you confirm the date.

As it turned out, I didn't need this test but be aware that it could be a possibility and if you are going to be affected, make sure you have alternative arrangements.

Cheers

Whirls

alpha06
15th Dec 2006, 12:32
just a question about a class 1 medical, do renewals need to be done at Gatwick as i just found out i need to go down there for my medical?

thanks

GrkPilot
15th Dec 2006, 12:35
Initials have to be done at Gatwick, not renewals from what I was told.

2close
15th Dec 2006, 12:44
Gatwick for Initial.

Renewals can be done with any AME, authorised to carry out Class 1 renewals.

HTH

2close

Speed bird 002
27th Dec 2006, 18:36
I have my initial Class 1 medical on 2nd Jan...Id just like to know if the CAA contact your GP as you must write it on the medical form, and how long it normally takes for the medical to be issued.

Many thanx :ok:

2close
27th Dec 2006, 19:37
Speedbird,

Unless you're a likely candidate for the starring role in 'Cyclops - The Movie', start gasping for breath after pushing open the door to the medical centre or have actually been dead for the past two months without realising it, it is highly unlikely the CAA will contact your GP, unless you disclose something highly dodgy on your application form which requires further investigation.

I have had serious spinal surgery but I took the surgical reports with me and it didn't prevent me being issued on the spot.

All things being even, you will be issued with your Class 1 Medical there and then on the day.

Good luck & remember to pop your glass eye in, screw your wooden leg on and slip a glove over your hook.

2close

norton2005
27th Dec 2006, 19:55
just a few questions. you say renewals are done with any authorised examiners. i had something on my ECG which was fine after a exercise test but what im wondering is in the future when im having renewals, if that same thing comes up on the ECG, how will they know that ive already had it investigated and its not a problem, do authorised docters have access to your file at the caa?

and secondly, someone said they are just looking that you are normal, there not testing for Astranauts. well this has got my curiosity, anyone know what the medical for an astranaut is like?like what it consists off and what are the sandards? and do they allow glasses?

2close
27th Dec 2006, 20:47
Norton,

I would ask the CAA this one directly but I would think the following would be the position.

When you fill in the form for your renewal (answering the same questions as for your initial) you tick the appropriate box 'Yes' and in the comments section you put the question number and 'Previously Declared - No Change' or words to that effect. That should be enough for the AME who will know that the form is going off to the CAA Aero Medical Section and if there is anything incorrect on the form it will be picked up by the AMS staff and the medical revoked by them.

It isn't for the AME to police the situation although he/she may wish to clarify the position with the CAA first - make sure you go for your renewal during working hours so he can phone the AMS.

HTH

2close

Speed bird 002
27th Dec 2006, 21:08
2Close,

Thank you for your input. Appreciated. Lets hope it goes all well on the day.

Speed.:ok:

Axecroft
28th Dec 2006, 15:33
[quote=norton2005;3039482]just a few questions. you say renewals are done with any authorised examiners. i had something on my ECG which was fine after a exercise test but what im wondering is in the future when im having renewals, if that same thing comes up on the ECG, how will they know that ive already had it investigated and its not a problem, do authorised docters have access to your file at the caa?

I have had an irregular ECG and was forced to have an angiogram to clarify that I was OK. At any subsequent medicals the AME was aware of my history.

CharlotteH
6th Jan 2007, 17:52
Hi, i'm currently in my 2nd year of studying for a philosophy degree because i didn't know what i wanted to be when i finished my a-levels! I now want to be a commerical airline pilot. I got BB for Science GCSE and C for Maths. For a-levels I got CCD in Philosophy, Psychology and English. You can see my problem...is it imperative that one gets really high-grades in related subjects? Would it be worth going to some sort of night-course at a college?

I've bought PPL books to begin theory learning, and from research it seems Africa offers good, cheaper, full-time training courses. I'm thinking now that when i finish uni prehaps I should go to SA and do all the training there? (PPl then CPL then ATPL?) I'm not sure if ATPL is attainable in that short time but theory wise maybe, not too sure :uhoh: will find out!

I need to check my eyes are ok (i wear contact lenses) and also a few years ago I had back surgery, i have quite a lot of fixed titanium now but am perfectly able to do everything and am not obviously operated on.

So you can see there are quite a few obstacles and i'd appreciate your knowledge on whether i'm wasting my time on this or i have a shot? Of course i'd have a medical but does anyone know whether my back is a definate no? Also are the Afica training places any good?

Sorry I know this is quite long! Thank you, Charlotte

mcgoo
6th Jan 2007, 18:16
You don't need any academic qualifications to be a pilot unless you are applying for sponsorship.

If I was you the first thing I would do is book a class 1 medical, if you pass that go from there, if you can't pass the medical there is no point pursuing aviation as a career.

planecrazy.eu
6th Jan 2007, 20:23
Hey There

I can see no real problems, not with the Education for sure, and i am sure not for the vision.

Education for even a sponsorship or ctc is just two A'Levels, C or above, i see you have that, and trust me, thats more than some have. Its more about getting what you need to be a pilot, licence and ratings than what education you have, even though i am sure there are situations where it might help a little.

Vision, same problem as me, i just about passed the stupid DVLA eye test when i did my driving exam, i took all the paperwork from the CAA to my opticians and had a moc test as such there and i was well within the limts for most, not astigmatism though, i was just within the limits of that so its going to be a little hit and miss for me when going to the CAA to get a C1 medical.

Anyway, good luck, and i am sure the vision will be fine...

Mohit_C
7th Jan 2007, 09:45
I assume many people have already done this test. Can someone tell me what exactly do they do in this Class 1 Medical test? Is it the same all over the world, or is it somewhat different in Spain?

littco
7th Jan 2007, 10:26
The initial test is:

Hearing, Sight, lung flow test, ECG, bloody, Urine and then an examination by a doctor, Including weight, height and reflex, previous and present health.

It all takes about 2 hours, If you have any doubt have a look at the CAA website and you'll find more details on there.

DC-8
7th Jan 2007, 11:10
is it somewhat different in Spain?

The medical is slightly different in Spain . In addition to what littco mentioned, you may expect the following as well:

-Interview with a psychiatrist and personality test.
-Interview with a psychologist and psychometric tests.

It takes around 4 hours to complete the medical.

Mohit_C
7th Jan 2007, 12:20
As I live in Málaga, I'll have to get it done in Seville. Has anyone done it there?

pcdvip2k6
12th Jan 2007, 18:54
:confused: Will somebody please tell me how fit you have to be to become a commercial pilot? My atc sargeant said to me I would have to be very physically fit and weigh under 10 stone (for girls). I'm ok at the moment but im worried I will put on weight and jepardise my chances of being a pilot as I weigh 9.5 stone. Please tell me. :confused:

happybiker
12th Jan 2007, 19:07
Your ATC Sargeant needs to get out more. From what I have seen pilots come in all shapes, sizes and sexes. I would even venture an opinion that some of the front end crew are attracted to a job that means you can spend your whole working shift in a comfy chair and be waited upon by the rear end crew!!

matt_hooks
12th Jan 2007, 19:16
I'm assuming you are UK based. Weight is not a big issue, as long as you are generally fit and healthy.

Look at the Initial JAR class one medical examination requirements here (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527) for more information.

There's loads of information regarding medicals in the "wannabees" forum. The search function might help!

EvilKitty
12th Jan 2007, 19:28
It depends on whether you want to be a military or civilian pilot.

For military, then the answer is yes, you do need to be fit enough to pass the service entry requirements. Remember that fitness is independent of weight. Best speak to a recruiting officer of the particular service you are interested in to find out the exact requirements, or check the relevant websites.

For civilan flying the requirements are obviously less stringent (since you're generally not dealing with high g environments or getting dropped behind enemy lines). As said, weight is less of an issue, and is taken into consideration with other risk factors. So if you have a high BMI and are diabetic then questions may be asked, but it does not necessarily mean that you wont get the medical. Best place to seek advice is a friendly local AME or give the medical unit a call at the CAA.

Cyclone733
12th Jan 2007, 19:32
Half my course were Obese according to the BMI, including the two women on the course. Wouldn't worry or listen to an ATC SGT

Speed bird 002
12th Jan 2007, 20:09
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527
Hope this helps, :)
Hayder.

planeshipcar
12th Jan 2007, 20:32
Ask your ATC guy this.

If most men way over 10 stone wouldn't it be going against the laws of equal opportunity if a man of the same weight got the job simply because he was a man and this was acceptable?

I'm not too sure on the answer myself, however, I do know tha airlines probably wouldn't give a crap, as long as you can fit in a seat and don't smell I think you'll be ok. Leave the looking pretty to the rear end cabin crew.

Rainboe
12th Jan 2007, 23:08
Why just them? I'm pretty too....or at least I think my Old English Sheepdog used to think so because she'd lick my face whenever she could. I managed to be a pilot despite being fairly 'generous' in the trouser department Don't listen to that man!......since when has 10 stone been 'obese'? I'd call it anorexic!

mad_jock
12th Jan 2007, 23:38
Just to note I think the poster is a young lady.

And the guy who is telling her this nonsense shouldn't be allowed near young kids if he is telling them such pish. Anyone of mil types care to find out and educate the prat.

EIDW RJ85
13th Jan 2007, 01:35
Hello all,

I just have a quick question. Does a Class 1 medical have to be valid (in date) before you can sit the atpl exams or even begin a full time groundschool?

I have a class 1 medical but i did not renew it this year as im still only using the class 2 side of it (PPL) and am about to start an atpl course so im wondering if i will need it to be valid to sit the exams??

Many Thanks

DragStrut
13th Jan 2007, 10:18
hi there EIDW

not 100% if anything has changed but my class one had lapsed before i took my started my ATPLs in 2004 and there wasnt a problem at al i just renewed it after the exams before starting flight training.

Hope this helps, good luck with the ATPLs mate

Dragstrut ;) ;) ;)

matt_hooks
13th Jan 2007, 11:56
OK, she's a young girl, a cadet, so she'll be somewhere in the 13 to 15 age range, so stop being a bunch of perverts will you! :ugh:

As for the "10 stone overweight" bit, it's patently rubbish! Read the CAA stuff, as long as you are healthy and reasonably fit there's no issue with your actual weight.

As for the airlines, most of them only want to know that you have passed the CAA class one medical, which you will have if you have a current licence. Ok so some of the airlines might request slightly higher fitness levels but none of them can use weight as a measure.

matt_hooks
13th Jan 2007, 11:58
If you're doing an integrated course then your provider should require you to present a valid class one medical before you start the course.

It would be sensible to renew it anyway before you pay out loads of money on training, just in case something has changed in the meantime!

chrisbl
13th Jan 2007, 13:33
I you can walk and breathe at the same time that should do. Exceptions being major heart issues or really bad eyesight and there are even ways around that.

EIDW RJ85
13th Jan 2007, 13:58
Thanks guys. I know it should be in date but i just didnt get around to it this year. As i said i have previously held the class one for 2 years. i hope not having it valid will not hinder my training as it starts on mon??
Thanks for the advice

verticalhold
13th Jan 2007, 16:37
Slightly serious note. I'm rather worried at the attitude of the ATC sergeant. This guy is responsible for the safety and well being of vulnerable children. I know lady pilots varying from 6.5 to 16 stones. Encouraging a youngster to diet without any fact based information is irresponsible.

VH (A smooth, a svelt 14 stone 6 lbs)

Beaver diver
2nd Mar 2007, 04:17
I am curious, If you apply with Ryanair, Easyjet and other low costs or regionals like Eastern airlines,Loganair etc...is it enough for them to have just your JAA or CAA class 1 or they require additional medical before hiring you?

Thanks and you can PM me regarding this as well...
BD:)

Luke SkyToddler
2nd Mar 2007, 06:57
Just your basic class 1 is fine, for all those companies you mentioned.

The Greaser
2nd Mar 2007, 08:06
And most if not all other UK airlines too.

Alex 009
2nd Mar 2007, 08:46
I am trying to find out for a friend who is currently training who has just scraped through with his hearing test (not me...mine is fine). The CAA website says that for someone who is issued a Class 1 medical, the following limitations apply:

The frequencies that have to be tested are 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000 Hertz (Hz), and the maximum allowable losses is shown below:

500Hz
35 dB
1000Hz
35 dB
2000Hz
35 dB
3000Hz
50 dB

From what I am told, he managed to just get on the 35dB. Do airlines have any specific requirements, or will he be fine how he is?

Expat Flyer
2nd Mar 2007, 08:49
Anything I have ever heard on this subject says that if you have the Class 1 license in hand then you are OK.

Alex 009
2nd Mar 2007, 08:51
Thanks, will pass that info on

Billo
11th Mar 2007, 16:36
Hi All

Does anybody knows where can I do class1 Medical (JAA) in Gulf???
UAE? QATAR? BAHRAIN?

THANK YOU

BlueRobin
11th Mar 2007, 16:53
Yup, see here
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=65&appid=21&mode=list&county=Non-UK

Billo
11th Mar 2007, 19:13
thanks alot

Billo
11th Mar 2007, 23:28
Does anybody know if I can do my class 1 medical in 1 day or it takes longer???

Thank You

Speed bird 002
12th Mar 2007, 12:05
Billo,

If you have your medical done at Gatwick, you will more than likely have your certificate issued on the same day. I had my class 1 in January this year and had the certificate issued immediately.

Hope that helps :ok:

Waterskier
12th Mar 2007, 12:40
Just curious if anyone knows where it is cheapest to get a JAA Class 1 medical. And also where is it cheapest to sit the 14 JAA ATPL written exams? I am guessing Greece or Spain but can't find anything on their fees??

From what I have been told by IAA (Ireland), they will accept any "mutual recognition" JAA authority's written and medical. I do not need to sit the ground school as I meet the requirements of ICAO ATPL with MPA type rating and 500 hours experience in aircraft to be used for skill test.

Thanks,

Tom

Billo
13th Mar 2007, 23:35
The cheapest JAA class 1 medical You can Do in Bahrain (80-100GBP)Dr J Al-Taraif
Occupational Health Clinic
Ministry of Health
P O Box 12
MANAMA
Bahrain
Tel: 00 973 276266
Fax: 00 973 270354
[email protected] ([email protected])
+3hrs GMT

Exams, I`m not sure but truy www.egnatia-aviation.com (http://www.egnatia-aviation.com) (Its in Greece)

Hope its helps!

All the Best!

IRISHPILOT
15th Mar 2007, 12:51
If you want something closer to Europe, try PRG, BTL, WAW, etc. PRG is 125 euro initial class 1, half for the renewal. Not sure if they do the writtens in english yet...
There you could do your LST for a lot less too if on 737 or ATR.
good luck! IP

Turbine King
15th Mar 2007, 20:49
Irish Pilot

where are those places that you list?

coodem
19th Mar 2007, 22:47
Anyone Know if Prague can actually do Class 1 JAA innitial medical, I have checked CAA's AME section and cant see them there, but I have know heard Prague mentioned a few times, can anyone share any info

IRISHPILOT
20th Mar 2007, 20:38
yep, PRG does the initial JAA class 1 and has done so for years. Just be a little patient when calling and when there, their English is not the best, but they are VERY helpful. You can go any day (Monday to Friday) and without appointment, but getting there much after 7 will mean you don't finish before lunch. You can pay by credit card, saving you to change too much money...

coodem
20th Mar 2007, 20:41
IRISHPILOT, Do you have any contact details, as I can't find them on CAA's list of AME's. I would rather go to them as they are cheaper, and I get to see Prague

IRISHPILOT
21st Mar 2007, 08:22
Due to popular demand:

http://www.ulz.cz/kontakty.html

and this is a list of AMEs for the initial. I suggest you call rather than email, some speak decent English.

MUDr. Bartoš, CSc. 026A 30. +420 973 212 451,
MUDr. Petr Halata 030A 30. +420 973 212 429,
MUDr. Miroslav Rada 034A 30. +420 973 212 497,
MUDr. Lubomír Šindelár 037A 30. +420 973 212 464,
MUDr. Oldrich Truska, D.Av.Med. 039A 30. +420 973 212 452,
MUDr. Josef Vanko 040A 30. +420 973 212 490.

the hospital is 20 minutes by bus 119 from the airport (last stop), then ask AND BEWARE OF PICKPOCKETS!
cheers, IP

coodem
21st Mar 2007, 21:11
Thank you, I will start calling in the morning

goochflies
24th Mar 2007, 13:03
Doing my jar exams in greece now... The prices are very cheap at 2.5 Euro per exam and only 3.5 for a re take.

Be warned though... The HCAA examination center uses a mix of version 1 and 2 of the data base... Very relaxed testing environment with two sitting dates a month, 3 days each usually.

Im not sure of the intitial medical exam price but a concurent one is around 150 euro I think...

coodem
11th Apr 2007, 14:23
I am just about to enroll for my ATPL's (distant learning) with CATS, Now before I commit all my time/money, I thoought I best get my class 1 out the way, just in case it comes back to haunt me at a later date

I have read and been told I can go to any JAA member state and get my class 1 initial done, So I was thinking about going to Prague to get it done, only £80 and it be a nice place to see.

But I keep reading FTO's T&C's and it says "You must have a class 1 medical, issued by Gatwick to commence training"

So I called CATS and asked them, they also seem to think it has to be done by the CAA at Gatwick.

Can anyone out there explain, as I don't know what to believe anymore.

Jaguar Pilot
11th Apr 2007, 14:26
The first one is at Gatwick for training undertaken in the UK.

As always, ask your service provider, who is CAA/JAA approved
and will have (or should have) the answers at their fingertips.

JP

Shortflyer
12th Apr 2007, 15:27
Hi all

Can anyone enlighten me as to how stringent the medical assesment is?

Is it just blood pressure, pulse, before after exercise etc or is it alot more?

Thanks

PJ

Dr green
12th Apr 2007, 15:58
eyes, ears, general medical, blood pressure, cholestrol, lung function, urine sample. I think that's about it.

boogie-nicey
12th Apr 2007, 16:29
I had my renewal this morning and I can cofirm all of the above plus discussions about past medical episodes and incidents (don't be fooled by thinking it's just a friendly chat). Explain any points on your application clearly and honestly no matter how trival it might sound to you. The eye examination was thorough to the say the least and if I spent any longer with the optometrist I would have become very concerned :ok: The doctor also checked muscular movement, balance and stance. The Audiogram was also a right problem because of the sounds from the adjoining rooms, bugger ! That made it much harder but hey I passed nicely.

I saw one guy get called in by the same doctor a number of times and he didn't look too happy about it, not sure what the deal was there. Regardless you should just stay away from the tea and coffee for a couple of days before hand, get some decent sleep and maybe go to the gym in the days preceding your appointment.

Just be cool don't stress yourself out and cause problems for yourself especially in the blood pressure measurement :ok:

dream747
12th Apr 2007, 22:51
In the class 1 are there any minimum requirements for physique or even weight for that matter?

lekp
13th Apr 2007, 06:09
You don't need to be a Superman to pass Class 1 medical.
Eyesight and hearing are often the most critical examiniations.

On the CAA website(under medical) you can find the exact JAA requirements.

boogie-nicey
13th Apr 2007, 08:40
There were numerous charts relating to weight and height in both the weighing and doctor's room. But then again as long as you're not too heavy you should be okay, though I saw a variety of builds and physiques on the day and they were all getting through. Best advice is to take a peek at the CAA medical standards posted on the web and phone them with any questions, they're very helpful in that regard.

AlphaMale
13th Apr 2007, 08:50
www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=2188 (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=2188)

Might of interest to you.

Muntari
16th Apr 2007, 12:43
I'm interested in starting my aviation training soon, and would like to know whether a lot of physical training is involved either during flight school or when you join an airline. At first, I thought you required to complete your pilots licence and a class one medical but other people have told me you need to do some physical training, i.e. fitness tests, swimming and inflating dinghies and carrying people into boats and stuff.

I would appreciate it if a qualified pilot could tell me if all this additional stuff is involved for pilots or is it just for other members of cabin crew. If pilots do need to do this sort of training as well, would it improve my chances of getting a job if I go to the gym and do some fitness training to get fitter?

Thanks in Advance.

Re-Heat
16th Apr 2007, 13:08
No bearing on a job so long as you are healthy and pass the Class 1, but on the other hand, no excuse for not going down to the gym immediately!

Vee One...Rotate
16th Apr 2007, 13:55
Physical traiining won't be part of your professional flight training course. As has been said, you'll simply be responsible for being able to pass a Class I each year.

When you start with an airline, you'll do some evacuation/emergency/survival training which will probably involve ditching/smoke in the cabin scenarios etc.

I can't see any massive advantage in doing extra training for this kind of thing - the tasks are doable by all pilots and cabin crew so you won't have to be a star athlete.

Improving your health and fitness is great - just don't expect it to have any bearing on job prospects or desirability! By the time you're doing the above training, you'll have signed the contract anyway.

V1R

Muntari
16th Apr 2007, 15:54
Thanks for your responses, I guess a lot of the hard work is left to other members of cabin crew and we've got the most important one, flying the plane.

scroggs
16th Apr 2007, 16:17
Muntari, firstly don't count yourself part of the professional pilot community yet - you've a very long way to go. The most important job on an airliner varies with the circumstances - it may very well be the defibrillator-trained member of cabin crew who is attempting to revive the victim of a heart attack, or those whose job it is to evacuate the aircraft in the event of a crash-landing. When you finally reach the dizzy heights of brand-new second officer, you will need to examine your tea or coffee carefully if you 'dis' your cabin crew....!

As for fitness, the only test you may undergo is a swimming test fully clothed. Not many airlines still do this, but some do.

Scroggs

EIPCW
18th Apr 2007, 16:58
I have recently done my class 1 medical in the Mater Ireland. I'm having trouble with the audiogram test, i'm currently 5dB outside limits on 500Hz an 3000Hz. IAA rules state that you need to be within 20dB on 500Hz 1000Hz and 2000Hz. Then 35dB on 5000Hz. They tell me that there are ammendments to be put in place which will make it similar to CAA rules where you can be within 35dB on 500hz, 1000Hz and 2000Hz. 50dB on 3000Hz. Anybody any idea when ammendments are to be put in place? Or any advice would be welcome

afterburner2
21st May 2007, 11:10
I completed my JAA class 1 medical in Jan this year, and I am going to Florida in a week to complete all my training which should take 1 year. Does anyone know if I can get my medical re-validated over there, or if I would have to return to the UK to get it done?

dfspilot
21st May 2007, 11:18
Dr M S Rubin
International Eye Associates
550 Memorial Circle
Ormond Beach
FLORIDA
United States
Tel: 001 386 673 3939
Fax: 001 386 677 5374
[email protected]
Approved by FAA AND CAA
-5hrs GMT
this gentleman done mine last august while i was in florida training. or you can go to the caa website and look under medical and then : find an AME. hope this helps and good luck with your training.

afterburner2
21st May 2007, 11:42
Thanks a lot for that. I never thought to go onto the CAA website. I'll give Dr Rubin a call though.

garywoodrow
23rd May 2007, 22:38
Hi, i was just wondering if being overweight will cause a person to fail this exam as i could do with losing a few pounds lol. I don't have any other reasons to why i would fail and would like to get this exam out of the way :). Thanks.

Right now im 5"10 and weigh 230lbs.

Regards,
Gary

Whirlygig
23rd May 2007, 22:48
You need to convert your weight and height into new money and calculate your BMI being weight in kgs divided by height in metres squared.

Anything more than 33-35 and your AME may baulk at it but I don't think there's anything set in stone.

Feeling generous this evening, I've worked it out for you at 33. Possibly borderline. Before you spend your hundreds of well earned dosh on the Class 1, you might want to have a chat with a medical person at Gatwick. Then, if they say it's a no-no, you have the opportunity to lose some weight.

Cheers

Whirls

garywoodrow
23rd May 2007, 23:16
thanks for the reply, i think ill just lose some more weight and then go for it, shameful to admit i was 250lbs 3weeks ago and dont seem to be doing bad losing it, it cant be good for my health anyway. :}

weis
7th Jun 2007, 23:52
Folks, without starting a thread on the dangers of smoking, just wondering how seriously they take smoking at the CAA during the medical, any smoking pilots out there? I'm sure they're likely to know, just wondering how much of a problem (if any) this would cause as far is being issued a Class 1 is concerned. Also, i just had my eye test, am astigmatic and need spectacles. Is there a regulation regarding how long one has between the eye test and attending a full medical or do they conduct their own eye test as well?

Thanks

bjkeates
8th Jun 2007, 02:29
I'm not sure about the smoking bit, but as far as the eye test goes they do conduct a very thorough one at the initial Class I medical. Details of limitations on eyesight can be found on the CAA website; you will also need to take your current prescription with you to the medical as far as I can remember.

I don't wear glasses but I had an eye test at my local opticians before my initial Class I last year and took with me the information off the CAA website; when discussing the results, I showed the optician the CAA info and she said "yeah, you're within them, no problem". Then, when I went for the Class I, the optician told me that I was right on the borderline of needing/not needing glasses. The test with him was a lot more thorough.

badboy raggamuffin
8th Jun 2007, 07:56
I am a smoker, also with quite bad short sight with a bit of an astigmatism.
Re the eyesight, I need to wear glasses or contact lenses at all times. My prescription is actually over the initial CAA class one limit by 0.5 diopters in both eyes, however within the renewal limits. They gave me a medical through a special dispensation called a "deviation". A great relief I can tell u. The fact that you dont need glasses all the time means for sure youll be fine. They conduct a very thorough eye test as well, and in my case recommended that I needed stronger glasses.

Regarding the smoking, I told them I was a smoker, which they recorded. However, this did not matter, as my blood pressure, lung capacity and haemoglobin count were all very healthy. All they did was advise me to stop smoking as it might make things more difficult for me as I get older. (the end of my IR training is my designated stopping date incidenally!)
I reckon that as long as your not on 60 a day with lungs and a body wrecked through smoking u'll be fine. They base the medical on actual medical fitness at the present time. Plus there are plenty of pilots who smoke, sometimes quite heavily.

hogespa28
8th Jun 2007, 14:53
Heres the story...

I've been flying as a for a number of years as a student pilot ( haha, dont ask why... ) but until recently wasnt thinking about a CPL

A few months decided it was time to get serious and go for it. I already had a class 2 medical that I could have continued using but at the last moment (Just before signing for my loan) I decided to do the Class 1 just in case...

I'm 23, male, fit and generally healthy...

Results came back and my cholesterol is off the scale!

Thankfully being young I can fix it and my medical will still get approved, however had I left it another year or two ( ie. until I finish training ) I may have not only be denied a medical but also be on a fast track to early heart disease before 30...

Simply had I not done this I may have had a huge outstanding loan, no job medical/job and a struggling heart.

Do the Class 1 medical before you spend any money! Not just to be sure you can get it to fly, but also so you can fix anything before it worsens...

Sure its tempting to save a few hundred early in the training when its not really required but its money well spent as I have found out...

Cpt. Relax
8th Jun 2007, 15:02
Couldn't agree more!

smith
8th Jun 2007, 19:35
Lay off the kebabs

captain_rossco
8th Jun 2007, 19:44
Eat two tubs of flora a day, one in the morning, one in the evening, its meant to lower cholesterol like anything!

Kind Regards

Rossco

2close
8th Jun 2007, 20:26
Eat two tubs of Flora a day

Also, red wine is good for anti-oxidants and de-furring the old pipes.

14 bottles a day and my arteries are clean as brand new plastic drainpipes and my liver is hard as nails.

I'll get me coat.....if I can find it!

Seriously though, good point by hogespa28 and the other thing to remember is that the renewal standards are lower than for the initial so if, in the couple of years since your last medical (whilst you're doing your training) your eyesight does deteriorate a tad the chances that it will have worsened beneath renewal standards are unlikely whereas it may well have deteriorated beneath initial standards.........FFS, that was a mouthful!!!

hollywood285
8th Jun 2007, 20:56
Me too!!!!

Failled mine on eyesight!!

EpsilonVaz
8th Jun 2007, 22:47
Well said. I wish you the best with your "recovery" :ugh:

davey147
9th Jun 2007, 11:23
When the CAA test for cholesterol they dont do an acurate test.

When a cholesterol test is done you must fast (nothing but water) for 12 hours, which you dont do prior to having a Class 1 medical.

Go to your normal GP and ask for a test, you will fast for this and the result will be more accurate.

My cholesterol results when I had my class 1 came back high, but the real (fasting) test came back normal.

Its good that you stopped eating the bad food though.

hogespa28
9th Jun 2007, 14:33
Already been throught the second round of tests, and did the fasting both times also...

Its related to family history that I was unaware of (damn genetics!).

As far as laying off the kebabs and bad food I for the most do eat well and hit the gym reguarly. Why I felt the post was necessary was for people like myself who think and feel like they are in great health may have an underlying problem they may be completely unaware of :)

tailwheel76
10th Jun 2007, 13:52
Before I spent the money on the CAA I went to my GP with the requirements for a class 1 med and asked if he could go through them and test what he could. He was more than happy to oblige and as I rarely see a GP I thought I'd make use of my taxes!

Leezyjet
10th Jun 2007, 20:10
I did the same, my family also has a history of high cholesterol, so I went and got checked out by my GP beforehand (also making use of my taxes as I hardly ever go either). Reading was a bit on the high side, but not too bad so I bought those Flora Cholesterol lowering drinks and had 1 a day for 2 weeks before the class 1.

When they tested it for the class 1, it was normal.

:\

Eddy
12th Jun 2007, 10:29
Following on from my recent post looking for information about what to expect from the Class One initial medical, I thought I'd put up this new thread as information for anyone else looking for similar insight.
PHASE ONE - Eyes
A very routine eye test involving reading letters from a chart, reading numbers from a book to test for colour blindness and reading passages from another book wearing different lenses. Exactly as you'd expect in Vision Express, but Vision Express are using more hi-tech equipment these days.
PHASE TWO - Ears
Take your seat in the nice sound-proof booth, a la Family Fortunes, and place a headset on your head.
The operator will send different sounds to the earphones at different pitches. You begin by showing him a clenched fist and must open your hand when you hear a sound. Very straight forward.
PHASE THREE - ECG
Get ker kit off, well, part of it atleast. You'll lie shirtless on a bed and have sensors placed around your body. One on each ankle and about five or six around the chest. You'll be told to relax as the ECG machine measures your body's electrical activity. Again, nothing to worry about here.
PHASE FOUR - Lung capacity
A two part test to measure lung capacity. The first part measures, simply, how much air you can get in to your lungs. You'll be asked to breathe in and then breathe out slowly.
The next phase will see you asked to again breathe in but this time to expel the breath as quickly and strongly as possible.
Keep going til you really, really have nothing left inside you. Head rush is normal! As is coughing. Nice!
PHASE FIVE - The Full Physical
Wear your Sunday best underwear for it's all you're gonna keep on. Strip down and take a seat on the bed. The Doc will test your reflexes, listen to your heart beat and check your ears.
He'll take a look in your mouth, too.
As for the fondling of the 'two veg', this ain't done anymore! The Doc will simply lower your choice of undergarment slightly to reveal the upper groing, ask you to cough and that's you! There's also no finger up the pooper, which may upset some of you.
PHASE SIX - Height and Weight
Stand on one of those old scale things where your height and weight are measured at the same time. Your BMI has to be under 35 to be accepted, so this is an easy check you can do at home before going for the formal medical. If your BMI is over 35, I wouldn't bother until you lost a bit of weight or got taller. I know which is easier.
PHASE SEVEN - Blood and Urine
Get drinkin', for you're gonna need the fluids. You'll need to provide a half cup of wee (you know those wee paper cups airlines provide inside the loos) and place it on a tray.... Be warned, there may be other samples on there when you reach in to get your empty cup. Yum. The blood thing is straight forward. You'll be, er, pricked, and blood squeezed from your finger. This blood will be tested for diabetes and cholesterol.

That's really it. I started at 9:00am and was done by 10:30am. I'm still at CAA at the moment awaiting an additional little test but it's nothing serious.
Hope this information is of interest to others of us facing our initial class one.
Cheers

christhevan
12th Jun 2007, 10:52
Many thanks for this.. Very useful :)

Fox808
12th Jun 2007, 11:26
Very useful info, thanks! :)

I still got a few questions about medical, does it matter if you have any allergies/hayfever etc. ? And the second one, if you do class one and fail, can you do it again anytime you want ?

Whirlygig
12th Jun 2007, 11:49
As with anything, declare it at the medical. There are some hayfever remedies which are allowed and some that aren't; you'll need to take advice as to which.

Cheers

Whirls

Eddy
12th Jun 2007, 12:34
I'm still at CAA so will ask the question about the allergies. I wouldn't imagine that it'll be an enormous problem, but as we all know there are some allergies that are more, um, dangerous than others. I'll get back to you with a response later today.

In relation to failing the Class One, I'm not entirely sure that you'd need to come back to try again. The kind of things that they've tested me on today are the sort of things that if broken now, will never be fixed. If I failed today I'd probably resign myself to the fact that I couldn't get the Class One at all.

BUT, if you chose to re-do the exam, I don't imagine there to be any time limit on how frequently or infrequently you can go for the exams.

christhevan
12th Jun 2007, 13:12
If you have time.. could you try and find out how the define fit? (i know its abit vauge) i.e. being able to run/jog x miles? Cheers Chris

Whirlygig
12th Jun 2007, 13:28
There is no treadmill test as standard so no running or jogging. "Fit" has been defined above with the lists of tests that one goes through.

Cheers

Whirls

Eddy
12th Jun 2007, 13:34
Your BMI has to be below 25 for you to pass. That's the only physical fitness test you have any real influence over that they perform.

christhevan
12th Jun 2007, 13:37
I thought BMI could be upto 35... as long as you pass "all the important bits" in LASORS? Chris

bjkeates
12th Jun 2007, 13:42
I'm pretty sure my BMI was a little over 25 (not much though) and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Also, about the hayfever point, just tell them. I suffer from it and told that, and I also told them I use a certain nasal spray to correct it, at which the doctor also didn't bat an eyelid.

Plus, if you didn't declare something and your certificate was issued, then something happened in flight as a result of that condition, you could land yourself in all sorts of bother. Best to just be honest.

pcoltas
12th Jun 2007, 14:20
Is it just me or did anyone else not have to strip down to just their underwear for the physical? I just got told to take my t-shirt off so he could use the stethoscope.

Also he never "revealed my upper groin" and asked me to cough; he must have liked the look of you Eddy! :uhoh:

:)

Dr.Biggles
12th Jun 2007, 14:21
great help - many thanks!

Just one quick question tho - how much (£) is the medical?

pcoltas
12th Jun 2007, 14:22
Class 1 initial is £310

Dr.Biggles
12th Jun 2007, 14:44
How many Classes are there, and at which point in the training is it necessary to take them?

christhevan
12th Jun 2007, 15:02
How many Classes are there, and at which point in the training is it necessary to take them? Class 1 = Professional Flying Class 2 = Private Flying Class 3 = ATC Chris

Fox808
12th Jun 2007, 17:05
How many Classes are there, and at which point in the training is it necessary to take them?

You should do it before you even start your training.

Eddy
12th Jun 2007, 20:19
Forgive me, BMI has to be below 35, not 25 as previously advised. Will edit initial post to reflect this.

christhevan
12th Jun 2007, 20:55
Cheers eddy for the update :ok:

Eddy
13th Jun 2007, 03:08
Quick question for anyone in the know.

I went through the whole medical and was given all my results there and then. Well, for everything except the urine sample. I provided it, left it in the tray, and left it. Didn't hear anything more of it.

Another small issue arose during my medical which prevented them from passing me there and then, but others were leaving with their certificates. My question is, what happens to those urine samples? Are they analysed on the day while you're doing other things, or could those who took certificates away ysterday be called at some time in the near future and told "oh, er, we need our certificate back"????

Thanks!

Finals19
13th Jun 2007, 10:57
Eddy....

My initial at LGW was actually a "recurrent" because I already held a class 1 ICAO (Canada) However, I was issued my cert. on the same day by the Doc after the strip down and groin rub :eek: With a little conjecture here, I assume that the urine samples are subject to basic checks and if anything else comes up, they may be sent off. Your best bet is to phone the CAA - it could in all likelihood be nothing, or maybe even that they were too busy on the day to check all the samples and issue there and then.

Good luck!

Eddy
16th Jun 2007, 12:54
Hi matey, thanks for this.

The issue I had wasn't related to the urine sample. It was relating to an irregularity found during the ECG. Waiting now to be put on monitor for 24h and see cardiologist.

christhevan
17th Jun 2007, 00:19
Hi matey, thanks for this.

The issue I had wasn't related to the urine sample. It was relating to an irregularity found during the ECG. Waiting now to be put on monitor for 24h and see cardiologist.

Good luck Eddy mate :ok: hope for the best, Keep us up to date on how you do

sicky
17th Jun 2007, 13:46
Is the first renewal much of the same?

preduk
18th Jun 2007, 00:25
Random question,

I done the medical ages ago, and done the cough two veg test but does anyone know what they are actullay looking for :S

Might be a stupid question, but I have no idea!

Eddy
18th Jun 2007, 02:04
does anyone know what they are actullay looking for

....the fun of it? :ooh::}

Quintilian
18th Jun 2007, 10:38
What type of medical do one need for becoming an ATC operative? Anyone?

Cheers
TH

coomster1000
18th Jun 2007, 23:00
Hi all,
I have just failed my Class 1 medical in Ireland. I was granted a Class 2. I was told I was just within renewal limits for a Class 1 but outside the initial levels required (Astigmatism). Do I have any remaining options open to me that anyone knows of? I want to fly helis within Ireland and the EU. I am 31 and my prescription has been stable for years.
I have heard that I may be considered eligible by the CAA in the UK if I had a PPL and had passed the CPL (H) exams and had the required hours built up? Does anybody know if this is a possibility? Would the CAA be likely to tell me that an application under the circumstances outlined above would stand a chance or not? I have emailed the CAA with copies of my prescription and the IAA report. I'm still waiting for a reply! I'm hoping that someone on here has some info!
I have also heard that Spain does not apply the JAA limits as strictly as other EU states and that it might be possible to pass the initial Class 1 there. Does anyone know if this is true? ALso if there is any truth in this rumour, does anyone have any information about doing the medical in Spain?
Apologies if this has been asked numerous times before but I'm desperate at this stage. I was looking forward to a new career in flying! Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

KingAir77
18th Jun 2007, 23:44
Hi,
sorry to hear that you failed the medical.... To my personal knowledge, it seems that the UK are the most relaxed as far as vision standards are concerned, so the outcome of your letter to the UK CAA might already be positive.

Even if they should say "NO", it seems that EASA standards will be somewhat more relaxed then JAA when they are implemented, I have not heard any specific values for initial yet, but apparently "at least +/- 5 diopters initially, probably no more requirement on renewal" according to rumors at mylast medical visit. So maybe you should try to find out about what EASA requirements will be and if they work out for you, just consider getting FAA training in the meantime, and convert to European when EASA becomes effective.

Either way you do it, I hope it works out for you!

KA

wantofly
19th Jun 2007, 19:24
I want to get my private pilots license (level 3 exam), but I am a little scared to jump on it right away since I have smoked marijuana recently :ooh:. I was wondering how thorough the drug testing was, and how long do I need to wait before it will not show up.

Pilot_in_the_making
2nd Jul 2007, 02:42
Hi all,

I've been reading through the other posts on the medical, and can't find anything to answer my question.

Booked my class 1 initial for a couple of weeks time, and I'm getting worried about it already, I think I'm probably just over reacting.:sad:

Passed the class 2 initial ok last year, but they don't do a lung capacity test for that. What sort of level of fitness do you need to pass the lung capacity test? Should I be doing any physical training over the next couple of weeks, or will it not affect the result?

Don't have any health problems that I know of, got a healthy BMI, but it doesn't take much to get my out of breath (effect of laziness and owning a car!!!). Trying to give up the smoking too, been cleen now for about two weeks.:)

If I can keep of the fags, then I guess that should help my cause.

Anybody in the know got any advice or tips for me?

Thanks in advance.:ok:

Hookerbot 5000
2nd Jul 2007, 05:47
Dude post in the medical section and you will get a better response.

With regards to the class 1 medical i was sooooooooooooooooo overweight when i did mine initially all those years ago and i passed with flying colours.

However i do remember running everyday a month before so that may have had some positive effects. I've lost huge amounts of weight since then but i remember i didn't have a great lung capacity (for a non smoker) and i passed.

The 'docs' down there have a philosophy of doing all they can so they can pass and not fail you unless you have a serious defect that affects the operation of a pressurised metal tube.

Relax, chill have fun it will all be fine (you will walk round for most of the session like a porn star on a break ie. in a gown) :ok:

count dingleberry
2nd Jul 2007, 07:43
come on dudes! Get with it!
You are responsible of the lives of anything from 1-500 people! (including yourself!) Being fit should be your number one priority. If you are not motivated enough to do physical training, you should start thinking about a different career! You having a heartattack in front of a computer is better than in a 747 on final approach. Less people affected............
I mean who would you rather see getting behind the controls of your mothers (yes, dear old mommy!) airplane? A fat tub of lard who cant take 2 steps without gasping for air (I have actually seen it!) or a guy doing chinups waiting for departure? (ok, I havent seen that but you get the point)

The class 1 medical should include a fitness test. A pilot should have a higher fitness level than the average "civilian". If nothing else it would weed out the lazy overdrinking, oversmoking, overeating unfit lot of you and almost completely remove the high unemployment rate in this business. ps. I can benchpress 120 kgs and run forever, I have a job!!!!!!!!!:p

Hookerbot 5000
2nd Jul 2007, 15:04
^erm i can run forever too :) but i bet you cannot run further than me ;)

Fatboy Ginge
2nd Jul 2007, 16:02
OK then how about those of us who have a BMI into the dangeroulsy obese range yet have the blood pressure, heart rate and fitness levels of those 10 -12 years younger.

15 years in the front row makes you fit but it also makes you big as well.

maxdrypower
2nd Jul 2007, 16:56
Good lord , one of the front three on a flight deck , now that should be notam'd very worrying :}:}:}

bluepeely
2nd Jul 2007, 18:49
Does anybody else struggle downloading information from the caa website regarding medical? Or is it just my porn and virus riddled laptop, i cant seem to get ant information off the links:\

r44flyer
3rd Jul 2007, 17:44
It might be me as well but I didn't find an awful lot of info on there regarding general fitness. I was looking for the eyesight requirements anyway, which I found.

My understanding of it is that as long as you haven't got any limbs attached back-to-front you'll be ok. You just to be generally fit, have decent lung capacity and no major medical abnormalities.

The running every day for a month idea is a good one, though, and will certainly help you shed some excess pounds if you need to. Eat well, exercise, and for God's sake give up smoking if you do. Smoking and flying just doesn't work on any level, in my opinion.

angel83
9th Jul 2007, 09:40
hello..

are we in europe or not?
If I do my 1s class 1 medical in portugal...is it valid in UK or Ireland??
thank you ---

AFCAS TARGET
9th Jul 2007, 20:53
Mine was!

Had an INAC medical good enough for the CAA.:D

da90drivr
23rd Jul 2007, 14:39
I have heard there is an alternate or secondary test if you do not pass the initial color blindness test. Does anyone have any details as to what to expect?
Thanks

Re-Heat
23rd Jul 2007, 16:25
I done the medical ages ago, and done the cough two veg test but does anyone know what they are actullay looking fo
Inguinal Hernias

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/2839647.stm

EZYramper
23rd Jul 2007, 16:32
I had my class one last week.
I didn't have to strip down at all! All I had to do was lay on the bed with my shirt off, nothing of the groin area was checked (sadly!).
After all was said and done I was given my expensive piece of paper and was set on my way.

captain_rossco
23rd Jul 2007, 17:38
Hmmmm, I was examined by the (very slightly gay) german doctor last September and am beginning to wonder weather I may have been taken advantage of!

:O

heading 125
24th Jul 2007, 14:13
What type of medical do one need for becoming an ATC operative? Anyone?
In the UK a CAA Class 1 medical for a radar controller - same as the JAA classs one. Class two for tower duties only.

MARCOFLY
9th Sep 2007, 13:14
Hy everyone,:):):)
I’m Italian,excuse me for my English. I try to improve my English.I’ll leave in UK for learn English.I want to be an English man!!!
I want to become a pilot but before starting my training atpl(Oat,Bcft,Atlanticflighttraining or Stapleford….i still get my decision)I should have a examination for JAA class one medical!!
Where do I my examination?

Thank you all

Bye bye ciao ciao

Marco:):):)

r44flyer
9th Sep 2007, 13:25
If you are intending to do your class 1 in the UK, and it's an initial examination, ie. you've never held a class 1 medical before, you do it at Gatwick Airport.

See here...

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527

MARCOFLY
9th Sep 2007, 13:35
Thank You R44!!

See You Soon

Bye Bye

Marco

Beaver diver
23rd Sep 2007, 19:18
As far as I know you can not do the TC medical in India. According to the ICAO and Transport Canada rules the approved medical class one certificate can only be given to you by an authorized AME in the country of the issue (Canada) and not anyone else who is not under the Canadian jurisdiction.
I guess someone pulled one on you?

paco
24th Sep 2007, 01:49
Beaver Diver - I get mine done every 6 months here in Dubai, and they still manage to extract 55 bucks!

You may be referring to the initial one?

phil

Zyox
24th Sep 2007, 10:10
I did my initial Class 1 Transport Canada medical in Dublin. Got a CPL on it too, so it must have been fine! :P

This was a specific one place that was TC approved though, so I'm assuming that if someone is approved like that in India it shouldn't be a problem. Check with TC though.

And yes, they should issue to your home address, but posting from Canada could take ages (my IR endorsement took 5 weeks to get to Ireland). You _could_ ask them to fax it to you if you need proof of it but from what I hear bugging them about stuff usually makes it take longer :s

paco
25th Sep 2007, 00:37
Say Hi to Adam at Harvs

phil

sunny5679
25th Sep 2007, 15:27
yes,you will get your medical certificate at your home address in india. and there is one doctor (DR. PURI) in mumbai who is authorise by TC and FAA. here is the ph.2226460403 / 2226340909/ mobile 9820103773.

1mag1n3
30th Sep 2007, 19:23
Simple question,

I suffer from minor asthma, will this impeade me gaining my class 1 medical?

I use an inhaler daily (preventative) but as far as it affecting me.. I can quite simply state i can get along with life as if it was not there.

Thanks,
1mag

ford cortina
1st Oct 2007, 07:51
1mag1n3,
Have a look on the Medical section of Pprune, I cannot believe that you are the only person to have this condition and be wondering about a class one, so do a search on asthma and class one,
I found these two by searching for asthma:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250840&highlight=asthma
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259128&highlight=asthma

Now also ring the Caa, I know we all fear them, but I have high blood pressure, controlled by drugs and they have no problem with that. their number is: 01293 573700.
Also, this is what happens at you initial Class One: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_Med_InitialJARClass1%5B2188%5D.pdf

Now don't take this the wrong way, but pilots are meant to be resourceful people and to do some research for themselves.
Best of luck .
FC

1mag1n3
1st Oct 2007, 15:41
Yes i know that!

But the search feature on here is not great :bored: as im not computer literate, really.

Anyway, i have read the CAA document you mentioned, but this does not state anything about asthma. I simply wanted a simple answer, as i may not be the only one wanting to know! I agree with your statement!

Thanks for the reply anyway, and i dont think it will affect me.

Cheers,
1mag

Mach086
2nd Oct 2007, 12:08
this really belongs on the Medical forum but here is my answer anyhoo.

Im 24 and have asthma like forever. Was hospitalised over 10 years ago so no limitation there as the rules are you must not have been hospitalised within the last 10 years.

Also, using a preventative inhaler (becotide) and the reliver (ventolin) is no problem. When i went to Gatwick, they tested my max lung capacity. Then how much air I can expire in one second. This is the FEV/FEV1 ration. As long as this is over 70%, then no problem.

However!!!....

They make you go for a 6 minute run and straight away to the test. You must still reach the 70% ratio. Then they make you relax for 10 minutes then do the test again.

What the medical people want to see is a no appreciable drop in the ratio. Thats all I can say. I did a hell of a lot of running and swimming for 4 weeks before the test, and I really got fit out of it. I even lost 4kg!!! The guy said I had one of the largest lung capacity results he has ever seen and the doctor said there was no problem when my ratio was just 71%. Apparently, the larger the lungs, the more difficult it is to expel all of it in the first second - obviously. Anyway - I passed. The only limitation I have is I need to get myself a pair of specs. Eyesight not to good in one eye.

BigGrecian
3rd Oct 2007, 00:27
I really can't believe that not one person has looked properly on the CAA website.
Within 4 clicks you get the CAA page relating to Asthma.
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=540

Your research skills need work before you move onto those professional licences :)

JetJockeyJim
3rd Oct 2007, 06:26
Hi all.

Can anyone tell me anything about insurance to cover the loss of class 1 medicals please? Is it something you can get on the high street, or do you need specialist brokers? Is it part of life cover? Can you point me in the direction of some insurers?

I know may employers give you cover as part of the remuneration package, but I'm about to embark on my integrated training and being one of those 'older guys' want to cover myself before I get that first job.

Many thanks,

J

macflea
3rd Oct 2007, 10:11
hi
check with BALPA (BRITISH AIRLINE PILOTS ASSOCIAtION) i saw something advertised for people starting out on training that they could get insurance with them in case they loss their medical. i was interested cos i am in same boat as you .i think you might have to join and this is was put me off , it might come against me in applying for the likes of ryanair who dont want you joined any unions.
cheers

RemotecUK
3rd Oct 2007, 12:01
I agree totally with Mach086.

I had the same problem (and posted in some detail what to expect on the medical forum).

Im not a doctor but I think that through excercise you can train your body to use less oxygen the next time you excercise.

The CAA use running as a test because excercise (in particular the deep breathing) will bring on your Asthma. So if you have to breath less for a set amount of excercise then your Asthma symptoms will be less.

These are my own theories and not medically approved, recommended etc. But that Mach086 and myself did seemed to do the trick.

Id recommend doing a lot of running and getting yourself a peak flow meter from Ebay so you can test yourself before and after your running.

1mag1n3
3rd Oct 2007, 15:38
Thanks for that guys.
I totally understand your sayings about the bloody reasearch! I am computer illiterate, and i dont like to spend time on a PC. Only reading things. I know the search feature, and CAA etc, just i am not one for trawling about websites, no thanks!

Anyway thanks for the informative posts. I dont think i would have a problem with the tests *hopefully*, as i am fairly sporty, i play football, tennis, swim and badminton. When the time comes i hope to be okay!

Thanks a lot,
And sorry about my lack of knowledge, and lack of REASEARCH, i knew this, and dont need to be told!
1mag:)

BigGrecian
4th Oct 2007, 13:07
I know the search feature, and CAA etc, just i am not one for trawling about websites, no thanks!

Obviously, this is of great importance to you then. :ugh:

HomerJay
4th Oct 2007, 14:12
there is a shed load of info in the medical section. I posted a fair bit as I passed the medical last year with asthma. check my post history or keep at the search function.

plenty of cardio, a lot will come down to peak flow and the other lung test
take your inhalers
get a letter from your gp saying its not serious(if he will)
avoid dairy/eat well/take magnesium supplements

1mag1n3
4th Oct 2007, 15:42
Goodness me, why the hell are people so bloody harsh. I didnt ask for people to critisize me. And i want this so much it is unbelieveable. Just looking through websites for specific information is terrible, i do however like reading about FTO's, their sites and information about them. The informative posts on here, i have sat and read for hours at a time!

Anyhow i think i know what i need to know!

So if you can give more SPECIFIC information then its welcome, but dont critisize me pleasee :)

1mag

zooom
14th Oct 2007, 19:35
Is it possible to issue pilot licence in native JAA country with medical certificate issued by another JAA country?

redout
15th Oct 2007, 11:58
For your initial license issue you have to have a medical from the state of license issue. I am not totally sure but I do think that you can do say your initial medical in Spain for instance and then revalidate/renew it in the UK and have your license issued by the UK Caa. Obviously it will have to be revalidated/renewed to the correct country before license issue could take place. In fact I am 100% sure that this is correct as I know of a person who has done it. Lots of people do this sort of thing to get around eye exams etc where the limitations in all the Jaa countries are not the same with some being less stringent than others.

zooom
15th Oct 2007, 12:54
Yes, but if I have a PPL with medical 2, and I want to make myself ATPL I would need medical 1 which I cannot get in my country due to some difficulties. So if I manage to have medical 1 issued in some other JAA country would it be possible that CAA in my country issues me a ATPL licence with medical certificate from some other JAA country ??

It means that for every their request to have medical 1 category I would show them medical 1 issued in foreign JAA country!
We are talking about initial licence.

Is that possible?

worldpilot
15th Oct 2007, 14:11
Zooom, you'll make things easier when you're more specific writings. I don't know the country you're residing in. But in my case, I stay in Germany and my license was issued in the UK. All my medicals were done in Germany and I never had problems for this getting recognized though. As long as the medical examiner that issued you your medical certificate is authorized to do that under JAA regulations, you shouldn't really have any recongnition problems.:ok:

WP

IRISHPILOT
15th Oct 2007, 17:02
As WP says, that really depends on your country.

As a general rule, your state of license issue has to match your state of medical issue. However, nothing stops you to swap the foreign JAA medical for your local JAA medical. Most countries free, I think the UK CAA takes GBP20.

This swap will be signed by the head of your aeromedical section, so if he / she denied your medical previously, he may have a very close look and double check that you ticked the box in this other JAA state confirming that you were denied a class 1 previously... Very careful!

Once we know which state this is about, we may be able to help more...

cheers, IP

deadx17
19th Oct 2007, 18:52
I gt selected at IGRUA(Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Udan Akademi) in the 5th ab-initio program.
For my class II medical I have taken appointment from a Doctor in Noida,UP,India for my class II medical on 22nd oct 2007 since he ws nt available b4 tht... hes saying the medical assessment frm DGCA will take around 6-8 weeks to come... and I have to submit the class II medical report when i'll report at IGRUA on 19th nov... wht to do?? will the form and report given by the doctor will suffice at the time of admission if DGCA class II medical assessment is nt available tht time....???

kate140983
26th Oct 2007, 10:51
Please could someone give me some info on how to obtain and how much it costs and does it expire.

Many Thanks

Superpilot
26th Oct 2007, 11:13
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527

maxdrypower
26th Oct 2007, 11:13
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126693
This is the medical forum you can search for this info as like most others it has been done time and time again. Or phone the CAA medical people they will tell you everything you need to know

BlueRobin
26th Oct 2007, 11:14
Hi
Where do you live?
If UK, it's a few quid over £300. You need to book an appointment with the CAA's AMC at Gatwick then go there.

Details (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=527)

I claim the prize for not assuming you are UK-based :ok:

Whirlygig
26th Oct 2007, 11:15
Goo-goo_is_your_friend! (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=68&gid=211)

Assuming you're in the UK, the inital class 1 has to be done at Gatwick. It takes a few hours and cost somewhere between £350-400.

Cheers

Whirls

BlueRobin
26th Oct 2007, 11:17
Not any more Whirls, they cut out the chest x-ray and EEG some years ago so the cost has come down.

bri1980
26th Oct 2007, 11:29
I'm going for mine next Tuesday and it cost £310. If you are UK based, just phone the appointments desk on 01293 573700 (option 1 and option 1 again) and book. They have two appointments in the day 8.30 and 12.45, and don't do weekends. In general there is a longer waiting list for the afternoon appointment (about 4 weeks when I booked).

They will send you out some information, and point you at some forms you will need to fill in and take with you.

Valid for one year if you are under 40 I think it is.

Brian

JoeGlum
26th Oct 2007, 12:19
Bluerobin,

Do you know why they cut that out? You still have to do it in other countries.

kate140983
26th Oct 2007, 12:34
Thanks everyone that's all my questions answered. I am uk based. U lot are great at responding so quickly thanks alot.:D

t_boy
28th Oct 2007, 19:27
i am currently in talks with hubair about starting a integrated course with them,and of course they insist you must do a class one medical.i have just completed mine in ireland and have the medical valid till september 2008,why is it that they want me to undertake it again in belgium,is my irish jar medical not valid over there?
bering in mind iv just spent close to €900 on this medical it seems mad that i have to do it again for this jar ab initio course!! thanks for your help!

TRY2FLY
28th Oct 2007, 19:36
Don't know about Belgium, but for a small fee (£20stg me thinks) the UK CAA will change another country's JAR medical for a UK JAR one.

Talk to whatever authority is in charge of aviation in Belgium and see what they say.

Let us know how ya get on

bluenose81huskys
3rd Nov 2007, 15:29
Hi All, My Class 2 medical has lapsed and now i am going to go for ATPL theory i want to get my Class 1 ready for my Commercial.... Does anyone know the exact way to getting a 1st class medical?, Do you fill the form in then just wait for a date & then pay? or Do you pay when you send application and request dates?

I work offshore just now so 2 on 2 weeks off, so I would only be able to go for a medical on certain dates, whats the best way to go about this please anyone?

parris50
3rd Nov 2007, 15:54
If you phone the CAA, they will take a huge wedge of cash from your credit card straightaway and will make an appointment there and then.

r44flyer
3rd Nov 2007, 17:46
You want to get your Class 1 before you start your theory? Did I read that correctly? If I did, wait a while, your theory will probably take you months and a Class 1 is only valid for 1 year.
Otherwise, as above. Call the CAA, make an appointment and pay over the phone there and then. £310.

EDIT: On the other hand you could get it asap to check you are actually fit to hold it!

Whirlygig
3rd Nov 2007, 17:52
I think it's best to get the Class 1 initial medical straight away before you invest any time and money on studying and flying. You can let a Class 1 lapse (it becomes a Class 2) and then only have to have it renewed by a local AME rather than taking the trip to Gatwick again.

Cheers

Whirls

Jean Bart
3rd Nov 2007, 21:07
I m currentluy in the same situation T boy. JAR FCL exists but countries still have the right to enforce their own laws. So the Belgium authorities will give u a small sheet of paper to validate ur Class 1 after a short medical visit and a small fee (but I don t know how much).

Anotherpilot007
3rd Nov 2007, 21:52
Exactly..... Get your Class 1 medical first before starting any training.

bri1980
3rd Nov 2007, 22:02
I had mine on Tuesday, so here goes:

Phone the CAA for a date. They have two appointments in the day at 8.30 and 12.45. For the 12.45 ones you will have to wait about 2 to 3 weeks, and when I booked they were making 8.30 appointments with just a couple of days notice.

They take the payment-£310 at present. Then they send you some paperwork and a list of forms to download and fill in. You fill them in prior to your appointment, and get an opticians report if you wear glasses. You take all of this info with you to Gatwick on the day.

More info at www.caa.co.uk/medical (http://www.caa.co.uk/medical)

Bri

PS. If you go for 12.45 leave space for one of the famous CAA lunches!

bluenose81huskys
3rd Nov 2007, 22:42
Thanks for all your help Guys, I will get my 1st class medical before going for theory!

So please correct me if I am wrong - The class 1 is valid for a year, so after this year does it carry on running for a class 2 for another year or 2........... Then I only have to see a local caa issuer to re validate my class 1 rather than travelling to Gatwick again.

Is this correct?

bri1980
3rd Nov 2007, 23:07
Class 1 is valid for one year from date of issue unless you are over 40 in which case it is valid for 6 months.

You also get a class 2 on your class 1 certificate which is valid for 5 years unless:

1. You are 42 before the five years are up
2. You are already over 40.

In case 1 it will be valid until your 42nd birthday, in case 2 it will be valid for 2 years.

The Class 1 and 2 medicals can be revalidated by any CAA approved medical examiner.

B

bluenose81huskys
4th Nov 2007, 09:19
Thanks Bri for the confirmation of what i needed to know!

Thanks to all for your comments

Regards

Richie