PDA

View Full Version : Am I immune?

englishal
24th Jun 2006, 16:23
FM that is....How do I know if our aeroplane has FM immune kit onboard? Sounds like a silly question, but when I bought in I assumed that as a reasonably priced quater share of a 4 seater single and that is was not fitted with FM immune kit. We had a group meeting recently and were discussing things and the IMC rating came up and one of he group said that all the stuff was already FM immune.....

Thinking about it there are no "VFR only" placards in the cockpit, and it would be great to be able to exercise the privileges of the IMC legally (then all we need to do is stick it on the N reg ;) ) but I'd like to satisfy myself that it is indeed FM immune.....

Cheers

IO540
24th Jun 2006, 16:31
The first thing to try would be to look up the relevant avionics (the VHF stuff i.e. radios, VOR & LOC) on the mfg's website and see if it is immune.

If it isn't then an antenna lead filter must have been fitted (which is highly unlikely).

A and C
24th Jun 2006, 16:54
I would need to know the Mod state of the radio kit that is fitted but off the top of my head if you have a King KX155/165 fitted that is post MOD 13 then it is FM immune.

Painting an "N" on the side won't help you in europe as it is the airspace that requires you to be FM immune not the state of registration, I cant see a reason that a "G" plate aircraft cant fly IFR in the USA without FM immune equipment as it meets all the requirments of the states airspace.

Chilli Monster
24th Jun 2006, 17:19
then all we need to do is stick it on the N reg ;)

The FAA would never allow it because of that Paint Scheme ;) (Never mind it's country of birth :p )

L-Band
24th Jun 2006, 18:02
There is a legal requirement that all non FM immune equipment must be labeled, if has not been your maintenace organisation should be contacting the engineer who carried out the last annual!

englishal
24th Jun 2006, 18:48
The FAA would never allow it because of that Paint Scheme
.....there is an N in there somewhere...does that count :O Is yours painted yet?

The radio is a small thing with a few switches and buttons on it , quite slim with LCD displays if that helps :) I recognise it from other planes I've flown, but couldn't quote model numbers I'm afraid, though I will investigate next time I'm at the hangar (not till July :{ ).

Cheers....