PDA

View Full Version : Improving Flight Deck Management

Club World
24th Jun 2006, 13:23
Hi

I have recently done a Sim Assess on B737 NG, everything in terms of flying and CRM was generally good. However my assessor said that I need to work on my "Flight Deck Managment" I am very low houred Pilot, and have no airline flying experience.

Does any current or ex Pilot's have any suggestions on how to improve my "Flight Deck Management" I know most people would say its practice and over the years with the airlines you will improve, but in the meantime in my personal time, any tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Rainboe
24th Jun 2006, 13:52
It sounds a little vague. Perhaps others with more recent experience of an MCC course might have more to add, but all I can think of to suggest is:
are you being careful not to overload your co-pilot? Making use of him to help you- weather broadcasts, checklists, radio identification etc.
are you thinking ahead enough? This leads to briefing adequately for what you anticipate having to do. Preparing yourself for restrictions (such as speed, being at certain altitude by **** place). Being prepared and able to hold at short notice. Monitoring you are at the correct altitude for distance to go....constantly. Correct landing configuration planned and selected. Landing procedure (reverse power required).

No doubt many, many more. But if your flying and CRM were good, hard to see what he was getting at. People who are unused to flying dual can be a little clumsy when flying with another pilot until the procedures and practices 'gel'.

Club World
24th Jun 2006, 14:25
Thanks for the reply

I see your point, the assessor said that I need to think more like a "Manager" such as anticipating what might go wrong at my Destination Airport, also if the WX at Alternate is no good, what is my plan of action etc etc...........

It seems really hard .. any ideas on a basic starting point please,

Chesty Morgan
24th Jun 2006, 15:15
Basically you've all ready said it.

Thinking ahead. Planning for the worst case. Don't let the aeroplane get to somewhere you haven't been 5 minutes earlier.

All sound like silly cliches. But if you're sat there not doing something or not thinking about something then you'll miss, or have missed, something.

Try thinking about what ifs (all the time) I still do it now and I've been flying for nearly 10 years. What if he stops on the runway in front of us? What if the engine stops? What if that navaid isn't working? What do I use instead? What if...What if...What if...There are millions of 'em so don't worry, you wont think of everything. None of us do. But try to give yourself an ALTERNATIVE.

CM

Rainboe
24th Jun 2006, 15:19
I think he's trying to drop you into it too deep too early. The Captain can worry about those things because you will only have to do as he says anyway, albeit with some input and advice from you. Rather than project ahead like that, your energy is far better expended working on appropriate company procedures and learning how fuel is planned and what restrictions it places on you, and how to work efficiently dual. IMO, you should concentrate on just flying and working the plane as well as you can whilst gently reading up the more advanced Flight management stuff. I think he was excessively critical- at this stage it is enough that your CRM and handling is good- you learn the rest as you fly the line and Captains explain it to you. Don't take it to heart- if that was all he could grumble about, it was a compliment to you!

Club World
24th Jun 2006, 15:19
Thanks so much for the info's

I will take it all onboard, its really good that Pilots like yourself can help people like me, your sugesstiosn means a lot and I will certainley put it into good use.

Cheers

Chesty Morgan
24th Jun 2006, 15:32
And it's good you ask. Many people wouldn't. It sounds like you're doing well all ready.

Rainboe is quite right, my comments are aimed more at the left seat. Sorry.

Once you're comfortable with the SOP's and operating the aeroplane you can then start to think about the managing aspect more. Nobody expects you to be able to do it straight away, I certainly couldn't. Once you get a few hours under your belt things will start to fall in to place. And it wont take long so don't worry.

Club World
24th Jun 2006, 15:39
Thanks everyone

Will keep you posted!!!