PDA

View Full Version : New to Luton...Somewhere to fly..???

britflyer
22nd Jun 2006, 15:42
Hello,

I have just got myself a job at Luton Airport and would like to get my PPL up and running again. I guess the flying club at Luton airport is no-more, so looking for any ideas on flying clubs in Bedfordshire nr Luton if poss, if anyone can help....cheers.:ok:

Many thanks,

Steve

dwshimoda
22nd Jun 2006, 16:50
Hi Steve,

Don't know about a flying club at Luton, but you have plenty of choice around you. Go North a little, and you have Cranfield which has many schools (it's where a fly from) South a little and you have Elstree, East will give you Panshanger. Then you've got all the ones around the M25 as well.

I only have knowledge of Cranfield, but feel free to PM me if you want further details.

Glad you're coming back to the air - happy flying!

NavEx
22nd Jun 2006, 18:11
Or try Henlow Flying Club.....lovely big grass airfield, normal club aircraft plus some proper aeroplanes with wheels at the back

rjt194
22nd Jun 2006, 19:47
Have Eagle Flight disappeared since Christmas? They were down in hanger 129 with the Seneca parked on the cargo apron (stand 31)

britflyer
24th Jun 2006, 06:42
dwshimoda - Will PM you now...Cheers

NavEx - Can you give me any more info...names etc..its been a while since I flew tailwheel..."Use your bloody feet"...as my instructor was heard to say..:rolleyes:

rjt194 - I'm not sure if there is anything still there will find out when I start on 19th July but will have a google today.

any more suggestions welcome...:D

Cheers all,

Steve

middenview
24th Jun 2006, 16:36
Last flew with Eagle Flight Training on 28th Feb 06, so think they're still there - give Shaun a call on 01582 720007.

britflyer
24th Jun 2006, 17:00
middenview - Happened to call them this afternoon (before you posted) and I can confirm they are alive and well but only an admin guy in the office so I will give them a buzz next week.:p

What are the aircraft like...I will only be using the cheapest (unless 6 numbers cum up...lol)but I have flown a 161+181 before and enjoyed them.

What are the instructors like, I guess a mix like most schools (some old timers and some youngsters on the way to r/h/s in something orange or irish..) and does the old flying club bar still exist...?:ok:

Also is there a local CAA doc in the area I can get my medical done at..?

Cheers,

Steve

middenview
24th Jun 2006, 17:40
Look on the CAA site for AMEs, several close to Luton. Hearsay from mates is to pick Dr Cranston in Harpenden, although I use Dr Yardley-Jones in Berkhamsted.

Main man at Eagle Flight Training is Shaun Bagley, excellent instructor with very high standards. AFAIK, he's got a TB10 and a PA32. Neither are cheap, the way I rationalize is that one flies at Luton for the experience. Did you leave a number? Shaun's pretty good about calling back.

If that's outside the budget, and you have any military connections at all or can get in as a Temporary Student Member, go to Henlow or Halton.

If not, then its the usual suspects at Cranfield, Elstree or Panshanger.

The Flying Club as was now runs grab-a-granny discos. Shaun operates out of the ground floor below the police (before they decamp to Henlow).

gaxan
24th Jun 2006, 20:12
Henlow Flying club details:

Main Man is Joe Wright 01462851936

Aircraft are:

Dh82a
DHC1
Pa 28
C172
C152

dwshimoda
25th Jun 2006, 08:38
Agree - Dr Cranston is just down the way from you, on London Road towards Harpenden. Usually has good availability, and is quite quick.

DW