PDA

View Full Version : Airbus & Geography

Captainkarl
21st Jun 2006, 23:02
Hello all, I am doing a presentation for the rest of my class members on Airbus as a MEDC Industry (A2 Human Geography), Ive stated the locations of their centres of excellence...but I need to explain/support the reasons for these locations...Eg Why have two sites in Britain so many miles away from all the other sites?..Is theremore expertise there? Or better access to raw materials?? Why are all the sites spread out so far in Europe therefore needing the Belgua and road, barge transportation?

I would be grateful if you can help me.

Karl

vapilot2004
22nd Jun 2006, 03:24
Eg Why have two sites in Britain so many miles away from all the other sites?..Is theremore expertise there?

Of course you are absolutely correct - ask any plant worker. :} :ok:

The manufacture/assembly location (France) and other production sites (the rest) were all chosen for political reasons. You probably already know that the major players in Airbus are in the countries of France, Germany, the UK and Spain. Each country involved gets a piece of the manufacturing action.

Try this link:
Airbus Worldwide (http://www.airbus.com/en/worldwide/)

Lucifer
26th Jun 2006, 20:50
Because there are far more factors than just location per se - both where centres of expertise are located, available labour force, historic aviation centres from the nationalised British industry, proximity to seaports (capable of size of transporter), proximity to runways, proximity to logistics hubs, proximity and ease of access to finance etc etc all play a part.

The answer is all of your points and many more.