PDA

View Full Version : My PPL Questions

littleport2003
21st Jun 2006, 22:45
Hello Guys,

First off let me introduce my self, my name is Matt Hallam, I'm 16 years old, and I live in Hertfordshire in the UK.
Since I've been about 6 years old the only thing I've realy wanted to do is fly, nothing fancy like fast jets or helicopters, I would be very happy just to have an old two seater homebuilt aircraft, just as long as it could get me into the air and safely back down.
So far I've only had about an hour and thirty minutes in light aircraft, but I absolutly loved every second!
Anyway the main question I have is to do with when I should start training for my PPL, I am currently off school for about 10 weeks for my summer holidays, but after that I will be back at school full time, for 2 years, and then possably off to uni. I was wondering weather I should get a part time job that I can do at the weekends and in the school holidays and just save up the money, untill I have enough to complete the whole course from start to finish, or whether I should do the PPL training as I go along at weekend and in the holidays.

You opinions will be greatly apreicated, as will any other tips you have for me. Thanks a lot, Matt:)

P.S sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I didn't realy know anywhere else to put it, and sorry if I've made a few spelling mistakes, I'm rather tired.

Whopity
22nd Jun 2006, 11:31
Whilst it is probably ideal to do it all in one go, there are lots of advantages doing a bit at a time. It will introduce you to a club and people in it. Remember you get most out of life from WHO you know. Why not see if you can get a part time job in a flying club, odd jobs for flying hours etc. You may be able to join others on trips etc and get a bit of hands on even if it doesn't count towards the hours. Go for a flying scholarship, the RAF don't do many these days but they still do a few along with GAPAN and the Air League.

Bahn-Jeaux
22nd Jun 2006, 12:02
Probably not as important at your tender age to do it in a short space of time as your learning curve and ability to retain information is far superior to someone like me of more advanced years.
I am doing mine at the rate of 3 or so lessons a week so i dont spend too much time covering old ground each lesson and it is being financed from a savings scheme as i certainly couldnt do it at that rate on my wage.
Its whatever you feel comfortable with both in financial and learning terms.
Everyone of us is different so if it feels right for you, then it is right, thats how i see it.

BEagle
28th Jun 2006, 07:40
You could also consider joining the Air Training Corps.