PDA

View Full Version : PPL license

_ASH_
21st Jun 2006, 18:50
Hi,

I am possably looking into getting my helicopter PPL licence but am a bit startled by it all..

Can someone please tell me if it works out a lot cheaper to learn on a crash course in the USA or the UK

I would appreceate it if someone can give me some prices for the USA as I have been told that it is between £12000 & £15000 in the UK..

Many thanks in advance

ASH

Chilli Monster
21st Jun 2006, 19:52
Can someone please tell me if it works out a lot cheaper to learn on a crash course in the USA or the UK

It's dubious you'll learn much on a "Crash" course ;)

At first glance USA cheaper, as the main cost (fuel) is cheaper over there, as are the taxes you pay on training and just about everything else involved. It's no different to fixed wing flying in that respect. You just have to remember to factor in the cost of flights and accomodation.

There's also the risk of course that, unless you give yourself a reasonable amount of time, you may not complete the course in the USA. Hours quoted for issuance of a licence are a minimum after all - if you don't come up to spec then it's going to take longer.

It doesn't just come down to money - I'd drop a PM to the likes of Whirlybird (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=24436) and have a chat with her, even go for a trial lesson (she operates in your area) first to give you an idea how to go about things.

muffin
21st Jun 2006, 20:10
Yes it is somewhat cheaper. However, your estimate is a little on the high side, and whilst learning in the US environment is fine, actually using your licence in the UK afterwards is a bit different. As CM said, email Whirlybird who trains near you and she can give you the full info.

Good luck whatever you decide - you will never regret it!

Whirlybird
22nd Jun 2006, 10:16
ASH,
I instruct on the R22 and R44 at Tatenhill Airfield, near Burton-on-Trent(also at Sheffield, but that's a bit further from you). I'd be happy to give you any information about anything to do with the PPL(H) course, here or elsewhere; just send me a PM.

(If you already know me, and you're who I think you might be, please pm me anyway, as I'd like to know how you're getting on. ;) If you don't know me, ignore this bit)