PDA

View Full Version : Rental of EASA Aircraft and Foreign Registered

Morgo
21st Jun 2006, 17:51
hi,

Where do I stand, legally, in offering the rental of an EASA certified aircraft that is maintained to the Public CofA standards which is currently registered on a European register (for sake of argument, lets say D)?

Is this legal for me to do? Is there anything I can do, without re-registering on the G register, to legally rent the aircraft out?

being in an EASA country and meeting the EASA standards one hopes that it would be legit to offer the aircraft for rent in the UK!

172driver
22nd Jun 2006, 14:17
You can do it in Spain. There's an outfit in Jerez (fly-in-spain or similar, Google them), who use D-reg for training. Had a chat with them a while back and wondered about this. Answer was 'one of the good things of JAR'. No idea about the UK though.

IO540
23rd Jun 2006, 06:44
Rental of foreign reg planes is legal in the UK, but the DfT restrictions (i.e. ANO Article 140 & others) make it impossible to set up a school around such planes.

However, if I recall correctly, a well known aviation journalist wrote on the flyer.co.uk forum (last year I think) that he got a letter from the DfT stating that EASA-reg planes are exempt from Art 140. This is suprising because 140 is very clear, but not suprising because EU law overrides a lot of UK law...

I suspect that a school wouldn't bother to operate say a D-reg because while I gather there are some benefits on maintenance, they will be marginal at best. N-reg would be more like it but that's clearly impossible.