PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Category differences

Orvil
21st Jun 2006, 08:06
Hi,
I have been trying to find out what the differences between a microlight and a Light aircraft.
I have done a search here and also at the CAA but to no avail( and also got out LASORS2006).
If someone could push me in the right direction it would be great.
I am looking at purchasing a kit plane C42 the info on the web says it can be a "A" class with a fuel pump fitted? Does this mean it will be a "light SE aircraft" or still be a microlight?

Thanks all for your help.
Orvil

Whopity
21st Jun 2006, 08:33
The Definition of a Microlight aeroplane can be found in the Air Navigation Order Article 155
‘Microlight aeroplane’ means an aeroplane designed to carry not more than two
persons which has:
(a) a maximum total weight authorised not exceeding:
(i) 300 kg for a single seat landplane, (or 390 kg for a single seat landplane in
respect of which a permit to fly or certificate of airworthiness issued by the
CAA was in force prior to 1st January 2003);
(ii) 450 kg for a two seat landplane;
(iii) 330 kg for a single seat amphibian or floatplane; or
(iv) 495 kg for a two seat amphibian or floatplane; and
(b) a stalling speed at the maximum total weight authorised not exceeding 35 knots
calibrated airspeed;
Microlight Aircraft are certified in the UK to BCAR Section S, talk to the BMAA engineers if you need any specific information. The C42 can also be certified under JAR-VLA if the weight exceeds 450 Kgs, in which case it will be operated as a SEP aeroplane.

microlight AV8R
21st Jun 2006, 08:36
The Ikarus with the extra fuel pump would be a category A light aircraft equivelant to a Cessna 150 or summat similar. Suspect it would be authorised to fly at a higher MAUW and thence have a greater range/payload combination.

Microlight aircraft (UK) current definition:
No more than two seats with max weight limitations as follows
a) 450kg for a 2 seat landplane
b) 495kg for a 2 seat amphibian/floatplane

Wing loading: Not to exceed 25kg sq.m

Stall speed: Not exceeding airspeed of 35knots/41mph

There are a number of excellent designs in the microlight category. Some of them are able to be flown at greater all up weights in other jurisdictions.

In the UK these aircraft are issued permits to fly via either PFA or BMAA

EDIT: Apologies to Whopity, you were quicker on the keys mate.

Orvil
21st Jun 2006, 09:51
Thanks to the both of you.

I will look at the ANO Art 155 and get in contact with the PFA and BMAA.

My idea is to get a kit plane for hour building towards the CPL, I know that a standard Microlight plane cannot be used towrds this. I was wondering if you got a microlight that was classed as a "light" SE to use instead of the C152 etc due to the cost.
I have checked out other threads and this seems to be the case.
Any ideas on what aircraft are available for this?
I have the recent issue of Flyer with 60 types but doesn't state which ones could be classed as LightSE.
Thanks once again.
Happy Landings
Orvil

Edit:I will look at the C42

Mariner9
21st Jun 2006, 10:18
The Eurostar or Banbi are 2 other a/c than can be a microlight or a SEP, but no need to limit your selection to a/c that can fall into both microlight and SEP categories. Loads of SEP only kit aircraft available, check the PFA website for suggestions.
(I'd recommend a Pioneer 300 (http://www.pioneeraviation.co.uk/pioneer_300.htm) - 130KTS @ 16trsL/Hr, wobbly prop, retractible gear etc :ok: )

gasax
21st Jun 2006, 11:23
If you're looking for cheap hours building then you would be well advised to avoid the 'cross over' aircraft. The majority are pretty new and compared with older permit aircraft which cannot meet Section S very expensive.

Aircraft like the Zodiac 601 show the tendency - microlight versions typically are around £30k, SEP versions the low £20k and Jodels and similar range between £12k and £20k.

Additionally the swapping between SEP and microlight is not that straight forward and tends to be a one off activity. The difference in running costs between microlight and SEP are very small particularly compared with the capital costs.