PDA

View Full Version : 737-300 or 737NG simulator at Luton

Crossedcontrols
20th Jun 2006, 17:52
I've been given a voucher and have to choose.
Which one is the most fun?

Normally I fly a Cub, so a DI and flaps are high tech to me.

( sorry if it is in the wrong forum, but I wanted advice from the professionals.)

BOAC
20th Jun 2006, 18:41
It really depends on what sort of pilot you are. The 300 is more of a 'traditional' flight instrument layout whilst the NG is of the modern type. If you are 'at home' with instrument flying and wish to 'try' a 737 you'd be better in the 300, but if you want to push buttons, change TV screens etc, try the NG!

michaelknight
20th Jun 2006, 18:44
Yes it's a tough one, of course you'd rather fly the 'newest' one but, if you want to get any satisfaction and you're probably familiar with the 'T scan', I'd stick with the -300.

Same lines as BOAC said.

MK

ZFT
21st Jun 2006, 21:34
Whilst I totally concur with the above, another aspect to consider is the overall fidelity of the simulator. The classic is bound to be around 15 years old whereas the NG will be fairly new. e.g.Visual system development and overall ‘realism’ has improved quite dramatically in the last 10 years.
Flight experience flights on sims tend to rely quite heavily on visual ‘flying’ as opposed to instrument ‘flying’ so it might be worth bearing this factor in mind.
Either way, I’m sure you will enjoy the experience and have fun.

BitMoreRightRudder
22nd Jun 2006, 13:37
If you are talikng about Alteon I've done a fair bit of time in both, and the 300 is more fun to pole around IMHO;)

Crossedcontrols
27th Jun 2006, 10:00
Thanks for the comments.

Looks like either way will good. I'm tending towards the 300, but the comment from ZFT, regarding the quality of the visuals being better on the NG bears some thought.

Thanks again.
CC

michaelknight
27th Jun 2006, 10:31
Visuals can be upgraded, so the sim might be 15 odd years old back in the days of 486s, but like I said it will probably have had a visual upgrade.

If the visuals are crap, it will only really matter when landing or Low Vis. I wouldn't look too much into it.

MK