PDA

View Full Version : PPL exams

davidatter708
18th Jun 2006, 13:39
Which exams do you need to pass before you can go solo?
And what books are the best? at the moment ive got CAA Lasors

Whirlygig
18th Jun 2006, 15:38
I have a feeling that technically the answer is none but that most schools will mandate that you pass Air Law before first solo and some stipulate either Human Factors and/or Navigation before your qualifying cross-country.

There are threads here a-plenty discussing the relevant books from which to self-study; the favoured ones are those by Trevor Thom or Jeremy Pratt plus some question bank type books.

Cheers

Whirls

acuba 290
19th Jun 2006, 19:36
yes, i think it depends on school where you learn...In my school i never asked about it, but had everything except navigation done before i went forst solo, and 2 days later made nav exam and second solo sircuits;)

Whirlybird
19th Jun 2006, 20:55
Whirlygig is correct. It is not a legal requrement that you pass Air Law before going solo, but most schools require you to.

You need either the Trevor Thom or Jeremy Pratt series of books; which you prefer is up to you. Jeremy Pratt is probably more readable; Trevor Thom more concise.

GWidgery
19th Jun 2006, 21:26
Get the Confuser!

It's an essential book for learning for the PPL exams. It has over 100 questions on every subject. And the best bit is that all the answers are explained so clearly! Diagrams and graphs galore!

acuba 290
19th Jun 2006, 23:15
also this book helped ma a lot!
AFE "Questions and Answers Simplifyer" Edition 2006

davidatter708
20th Jun 2006, 10:31
Thanks guys I'll ask what the procedure is at my club on friday in my lesson
David