View Full Version : Jersey-2

Pages : 1 [2] 3

JobsaGoodun
22nd Aug 2007, 10:24
All very well placing a spare 146 at JER but at the same time, you need a crew to operate that said aircraft. In my view it is all publicity but time will tell.

My point is that if the scheduled aircraft reports a technical fault prior to departure then the schedules should not suffer as the same crew would simply operate on the spare instead. Equally, should the aircraft not get into JER in the evening due fog, the spare will still be in place to pick up the flying the next morning removing all the disruption associated. You don't always need an increase in crew to remove disruption.

Easyjet would be foolish to start JER for the winter. They'll know that next summer will be best if any. Easy looked at LTNJER about 8yrs ago, shortly after they started and decided against it following retaliation by JEA who got wind of their plans and launced their own 3 daily LTNJER flights (on an F27 back then, anyone remember?). The fares in those days were about £60rtn off peak at a time when Easy launched with £29 single tickets. The yield wasn't there then for Easyjet, and to be fair it probably still isn't now, given that it would not be an increasing market of limited population. They'd be better ploughing their investment elsewhere, but never say never!

GBALU53
29th Aug 2007, 06:45
I understand the posibilty of Easyjet operating into the Island although it is a possibilty it is a long way off before the crossing ot the T,s and dotting the I,s on the deal.:ooh:
So who knows it might not be this October, Easy has already put out a news letter saying the are starting another 46 routes this winter and Jersey is not there.:ok:

Yak97
29th Aug 2007, 09:25
CAA Published yesterday:

PERMIT GRANTED
EDC132 Orange Aircraft Leasing B.V. to operate a scheduled air service between Gloucester and Jersey. The permit would be effective from 3 September to 24 December 2007

So how will this be advertised/sold? Can Manx2 sell the tickets (I see they have dropped the T/a Manx2.com)? Especially as they are advertising it as BPS (Budapest Air Services??) - do Manx2 have an airline identifier (and if so - how?).

Will the passengers be confused to so who they are actually travelling with (and under who's insurance)? Probably.

airbus-commander
29th Aug 2007, 18:40
Look all very well "parking" a 146 up somewhere, but if the aircraft that goes tech is a disaster 8 and the 146 crew out of hours (and that's if there is any) then can the flight deck just jump on and fly? No they can't.

This again is another airline playing on the general publics incompetent approach to commercial aviation. If it's parked up it's for a reason i.e. Being used for spares or my favourite no crews availabile.

I do understand their situation very well because I fly into some of the same airport's as them and I am constantly seeing FIDS screens and seeing all of the estimated times of departure.

They are a joke and deserve to lose their AOC, as they are a hazard both in the air and on the ground!!!

embraernotworthy
29th Aug 2007, 19:58
:=airbus-commander, i suppose it is your opinion that " they are a joke and deserve to lose their AOC,as they are a hazard both in the air and on the ground" but please substanciate these opinions with facts!!! Cant quite understand how you come to these conclusions?

airbus-commander
29th Aug 2007, 20:29
Young captain's and inexperienced first officers flying dash 8s. Nothing frustrates me more than that and yes I understand that I was once a young cocky captain.

But with airport's becoming busier and busier and younger captains flying turboprops don't mix.

This is why (and I don't mean to hi-jack the thread) that the legal minimum age of an unfrozen ATPL should be raised to 30 with at least 10,000 hours experience.

Before anyone says anything I have 24,500+ hours including 12,000+ hours as a Captain.

JobsaGoodun
29th Aug 2007, 20:38
A while we're at it lets raise the driving licence limit to 30yrs old at the same time. Ban under 25's from drinking and buying fags and curfew them late at night!! :ugh::ugh:

Unless you can substantiate whatever point you are trying to make, i'm with 'embraernot worthy' on this one. Jeez!

airbus-commander
29th Aug 2007, 20:53
Look a $50million dollar jet with 150 souls including 6 crew is alot different than 20 mayfair lights, bottle of strongbow or a £500 quid sh!t heap of a fiesta.

So you think it is safe for a 21 year old to be in command of an Airbus or a Dash 8? Who is flying on a brand new un-frozen ATPL? You can never compare 150 lives to 1 life!

JobsaGoodun
29th Aug 2007, 21:23
You cannot put a value on life, be it one persons or many.

The fact remains that, young doesn't necessarily mean immature/incapable. I'm sure that if there is a safety risk then the CAA would question this and take action however the fact remains that nothing has been done, most likely due to the fact that these 'young and inexperienced' crews carry out there duties to the required very high standard!

Allow me some latitude but look at the likes of Lewis Hamilton in F1, he may not be as experienced as everyone else, but he is as good if not better than the rest! This may be irrelevent to this particular discussion but demonstrates a valid point! Come back when you have some substantial evidence to back up your claims.

embraernotworthy
29th Aug 2007, 21:32
Facts i asked for !!! Flybe dont fly aircraft capable of more than 118pax + crew, so get off your high horse and get real!!! The CAA wouldnt allow the airline to operate if they didnt think it was safe!!! Im an engineer of 8 years and came from a car related background, dont you approve of me either!!! Glad i dont work with you, as you seem untouchable!! Dont suppose you've been turned down by flybe have you??? Too arrogant maybe???:D

airbus-commander
30th Aug 2007, 09:25
I find it quite amusing that people seem to think that I must go back to flight sim and I'am being quite prejudice towards flymaybe.

All I'am saying is looking out of the flight deck, I have seen kids wearing four gold bars on the sleeves completing walk rounds. There is no way in which these guys are better, far from it.

So in flybes current state of affairs, would it surprise you that younger inexperienced FOs recieve their commands to ensure that there are crews?

Many times whilst flying I have heard atc talk to the jerseys and all of the erms and erm coming from them. I mean my daughters know more about commanding an aircraft than them.

Believe me I haven't been turned down by flybe. I wouldn't even waste a piece of paper to write my cv on and send it to them.

But in my opinion Lewis Hamilton is not a fair contrast to an airline captain. Nor do I believe I'am untouchable. But people here have to realise that Flybe management have screwed up and tried to expand and become a big boy.

LegsUpLucy
30th Aug 2007, 09:26
easyjet may be starting the northern routes at the start of the summer schedule,i may have got that part wrong............tba

Evileyes
30th Aug 2007, 11:13
And now for something completely different.... the Jersey, not airline, not child pilots, just Jersey thread.

ADC2604
2nd Sep 2007, 18:01
Back to the point, the topic - JERSEY...

Did JER have many charters this summer?? I think I heard that FCA and EAC were operating a couple.

MARKEYD
3rd Sep 2007, 13:51
Palmair operate charters using 737 200 during May / June / Sept / Oct to Palma and Pula for Travelmaker holidays . Operate from Bournemouth as a day trip and continue onto the holiday destinations before returning back to Jersey in the evening to pick up the day trippers back to Bournemouth . This part of it is operated by Bath Travel , a useful way of using an aircraft that is not required for use on certain days
In the winter the same process is again being operated to Tenerife via Santiago on a Monday on certain days each month

GBALU53
5th Sep 2007, 20:13
Things are looking brighter for Jersey for 2008.
Not only Globespan starting earlier and doing two flights a week. Flybe in a press release today will do the Newcastle four times a week from the start of the Summer of 2008 and there could be more to come before the winter is out.
With Flybe haveing the EMB195 in Jersey from the start of the winter they seem to be looking at doing more work for both the Jersey based aircraft.:ok:

ADC2604
5th Sep 2007, 20:54
Wow that must be a long time to get to Tenerife if you have to go via Santiago aswell....its long enough direct.

Well as Flybe are now doing Geneva, its first recent european destination I believe, I wouldn't be surprised if other services were introduced next year. I think they would do well offering a Faro service or similar.

GBALU53
6th Sep 2007, 18:48
Things are looking up for 2008, Flyglobespan once a week from the 1st July till the end of September 2008 a service from and to Aberdeen on Tuesdays.:ok:

ADC2604
7th Sep 2007, 17:34
Wasn't there a VLM charter this year doing the ABZ in the summer...if so it may mean holiday companies go for GSM instead and therefore the VG one will not operate S08

Jamesair
8th Sep 2007, 17:15
This doesn't seem to have been picked up on here.

The important thing about the Flybe Newcastle route for next year is that it will become a year round flight instead of seasonal as at present.

JulietNovemberPapa
8th Sep 2007, 17:59
I'll be again flying to JER in November, this time routing BHX-GCI-JER-LCY.

Quite a nice, efficient airport.

It's quite nice being able to walk to JER for a flight (about a 25-minute walk). Not quite as nice as walking to Mae Hong Son airport (10 minutes from the centre of town) in mid-afternoon, warm sunshine, but hey. :8

GBALU53
9th Sep 2007, 08:53
If the Paris is back on how, would an afternoon flight work
With a schedule of some thing like this
Jersey-Charles Du Gaulle STD 1625 STA 1735:ok:
Charles Du Gaulle STD 1815 STA 1925 Monday to Friday:ok:
I don,t know if the what a Weekend schedule might work out as but this is only my idea looking at some of the information available. :ok:

Trihandle
12th Sep 2007, 06:58
Local press in Jersey have printed that Jet2 will be operating Leeds-Jersey next summer. If loads are good it will turn into a year round service. No details as to times or day of service. Jet2 are to announce major expansion from Leeds at 11am today.

ADC2604
12th Sep 2007, 18:36
transitionlevel - (Hi) Where did you hear about the terminal change?? I was of the impression that we were staying at T2

ADC2604
12th Sep 2007, 18:45
Lol well it isn't that common ...... I didn't know that (unless it was announced recently - I was on leave for a while)

I think it would be good for BE to expand out of LGW however, the handling side of it would need to improve...........do you know whether the north terminal has a better reputation for ground handling? I know that BE are reassesing their h/agents (EDI has changed from servisair to menzies)

akerosid
12th Sep 2007, 19:28
From JEP today:

http://www.thisisjersey.com/business/business3.html

Good to hear; particularly surprised to see that traffic on LCY has increased; I thought it would have suffered quite heavily, due to the withdrawal of the late evening arrival/early morning departure they had some time ago.

akerosid
14th Sep 2007, 17:40
Eh up lads, it's Leeds.

As rumoured for some time now, Jet 2 will be starting a new route to LBA next Summer.

http://www.lbia.co.uk/newsandupdates-newsstory.php?storyid=20070912

Easyjet rumours continue; apparently four routes being considered, including LPL and STN (can't remember the other two).

J-Guy
15th Sep 2007, 17:30
After returning from holiday I was surprised to read all about the new developments. Well done Economic Development & Jersey Airport. :ok:

The return of four weekly flights to Newcastle is good news for tourism and locals. The North East region has been underserved recently so an expansion of the Newcastle route is an obvious choice for Flybe.

An extra two Flybe frequencies to Gatwick is more questionable. Twelve weekday flights to Gatwick during the winter season are hardly sustainable but I guess it is all part of a Flybe retaliation against British Airways and bmi on the London routes.

Also, Jet2 is a great addition and much better suited to offering a low-cost service to Leeds/Bradford. Bmi were no competition for Thomsonfly, however, it will be interesting to see what effect a similar airline like Jet2 will have on the Doncaster figures.

akerosid
15th Sep 2007, 17:42
It's been reported by the BBC that a Hurricane has crashed at Shoreham. The aircraft was involved in a simulated dogfight with the Me-109 (see thread on Rumours/News).

Presumably the same Hurricane which performed a spectacular and hugely enjoyable display at Jersey on Thursday?

GBALU53
16th Sep 2007, 20:38
Yes it was the same Hurricane that came to Jersey with the Buchon.

GBALU53
16th Sep 2007, 20:43
Some time tomorrow Monday 17th we will be hearing more news on Blueislands operations out of the Islands.:ok:

This will be in connection with the Dornier 328 operation from what I have neen picking up.:ok:

Trihandle
17th Sep 2007, 12:03
Blue Islands will start Zurich and Geneva from Jersey the service in November using a Dornier 328 according to local radio.
No details schedule or times nothing on Blue Islands website either

GBALU53
17th Sep 2007, 12:27
What will the next surprise be from Jersey Airport.
Over the last three weeks we have had three new route stories.
Globespan Aberdeen-Jersey Summer 2008,
Jet 2 Leeds-Jersey Summer 2008,
Today Blueislands to Switzerland starting this November with a Dornier 328,
We must also remember that Flybe although not new routes annonced more flights to Newcastle,Gatwick and Southampton.
What more can Jersey ask for other than some quick build hotels to put all these passengers?:ok:

airhumberside
17th Sep 2007, 20:13
Globespan Aberdeen-Jersey Summer 2008,
Axed already

GBALU53
17th Sep 2007, 21:25
airhumberside

Where did you get that idea from, the service by Globespan Aberdeen-Jersey beening axed?

You might not be able at the moment to book as the flight is having to be rescheduled to depart Aberdeen at approx 0630.

The reason for the reschedule is the aircraft was operating Aberdeen to Paphos and return before going to Jersey and it was arriving in Jersey at airport close and departing 40 minutes after that hence the schedule change.

Unless some thing has happened the Jersey flight will be the first one for that aircraft before going on a long journey to Cyrpus so untill the schedule is confirmed this could well be the reason for the bookings to be on hold.:ok:

SeamusCVT
18th Sep 2007, 07:52
News article here:

http://www.uk-airport-news.info/aberdeen-airport-news-160907.htm

Richard Taylor
18th Sep 2007, 08:00
Everyone in Aberdeen is of the belief that GSM have axed the JER flight.

Totally.

J-Guy
21st Sep 2007, 17:00
The Thomsonfly timetable shows that Cardiff has been dropped for the winter. Originally it had been scheduled to operate three times weekly but it has now been removed. It is not surprising given the level of competition there would have been with bmibaby during the low season.

caaardiff
21st Sep 2007, 21:18
Does anybody now the rough average pax figures for bmibaby flights?
Thomson offer good prices to JER, and the x4 wkly CWL-JER have been popular. Shame TOM are not doing any flights at all.

virginblue
24th Sep 2007, 13:11
JER (like NQY) will get a seasonal scheduled Lufthansa service in summer 2008 (runs 28JUN08-30AUG08). Saturday flight from DUS on a Contactair ATR72
LH4938/4939 DUS 1050 - 1205 JER 1235 - 1545
Return fares I have checked so far approx 150 GBP all inl. return.
Not sure if it will have an impact on the traditional DUS charter flight by Wolters.

JulietNovemberPapa
24th Sep 2007, 14:44
Does anybody now the rough average pax figures for bmibaby flights?

August 2007 pax stats:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/airport_data_prov/200708/August_2007_Provisional_Domestic_Routes.pdf

Capt. J. Upgrade
2nd Oct 2007, 09:44
I've heard on the grape vine that the someone at the airport is organising a trip to the Duxford Autumn Air Show on 14th October. :D
From the ads i've seen around the airport it includes flights from and to Jersey, breakfast onboard, a Jersey Airport “Goodie Bag”, and entry into the air show and museums all for just £170 pp :eek:

Not bad, anyone going...

:ok:

Capt. J. Upgrade
2nd Oct 2007, 09:46
Richard Taylor:

I believe they have, or so my sources tell me! :bored:
Shame.....:(

GBALU53
2nd Oct 2007, 16:56
The latest on Blueislands operations out of Jersey i understand there will be a Dornier 328 based in the Channel islands to operate the Swiss routes but they must be thinking of doing more with the aircraft as the flight is a lunch time out of Jersey.
Will the aircraft be based in Jersey and are there some more surprises installed for jersey for some more route that Blueislands are looking at takeing on as it looks like the Aurigny operation out of Jersey is very poor the only flights are to Guernsey.
Witht the winter comming I would not expect much more to happen umtill the beginning of 2008 but we would expect to start hear some things which might be in the pipe line like takeing on the Stansted for one or even another route into Europe say Amsterdam could be something that might be worth looking at on a three times a week type operation or even into Beligum as many year ago there was a large number of Belgium day trippers so could this be another area. With the Jetstream being a bit small to take on some of these routes but the Dornier coulld be the ideal aircraft for getting Jersey back into the frame with operations into Europe.:ok:

King Pong
2nd Oct 2007, 17:06
Thomsonfly are pulling their LTN-JER service, as it is not part of their IT programme. Other non Thomson Holidays/ First Choice Holiday flights are also being dropped. Is this the end for Jersey?

GBALU53
2nd Oct 2007, 18:03
KING PONG
I do not know where you get the idea of the Luton flights stopping, all because they are cuting back to three flights a week for the winter of 2007/2008 this is what you would expect.
The market to the Island is for short brakes which by giveing only three flights a week is the correct way of keeping the operation going through the winter, unless there is some thing else in the pipe line, this is the sort of cut back expected for the winter operations to the Islands as with other airlines operating to Jersey..:ok:

Powerjet1
2nd Oct 2007, 19:49
No flights are bookable from the end of Oct between JER-LTN. It is cancelled. Flights to COV & DSA continue.

aidoair
2nd Oct 2007, 20:26
LTN-JER does finish from the end of October but does start up again by the end of March next year. There must not be enough demand to continue the route over the winter period where they will be able to use the aicraft on more popular winter seasonal routes to places such as Geneva and Salzburg instead throughout the winter season from its Doncaster base.

Jerbourg
2nd Oct 2007, 21:23
GBALU53 - The Blue Islands 328 will be based in Guernsey & route like this (roughly) Mon-Fri

GCI-JER-IOM-JER-GVA or ZRH-JER-GCI

ZRH & GVA operate on alternate days, Sun thru to Fri.

toledoashley
3rd Oct 2007, 06:23
Any ideas on U2/BE talking up the service to LTN?

GBALU53
3rd Oct 2007, 06:54
No surprise Jersey - Luton service dropped for the winter of 2007/08,when you look at the bigger picture.
British Midland the first winter operating the Heathrow with two a day with the Airbus.
B.A. operating Gatwick six a day with a B737.
Flybe doing six flights a day four with the EMB195 one with a BAE146 and one with the EMB145.
VLM London City Mon to Fri with one rotation with the Fokker 50.
Does this not show the route has to much capicity? if you look at seats available Monday to Friday it must be 1500 or more each way and with Luton being out of the way so to spaek, and they were only offering three times a week does it not show you it would not be able to keep it going for the winter?

King Pong
3rd Oct 2007, 09:04
I do not know where you get the idea of the Luton flights stopping, all because they are cuting back to three flights a week for the winter of 2007/2008 this is what you would expect.
Its gone for good and so has all the Jersey services. Try booking a flight to Jersey for next Spring or Summer. Jersey is not on the airport drop down list

baps
3rd Oct 2007, 09:07
TOM haven't loaded JER (or PRG for that matter) flights for next summer yet. Could still be to come or perhaps being dropped all together but with the loads from DSA over this summer not sure if this is the case

harrogate
3rd Oct 2007, 10:05
Just booked JER-DSA return for Feb 08 with Thomson no problem.

LBIA
3rd Oct 2007, 13:55
Just booked JER-DSA return for Feb 08 with Thomson no problem.

Thats because you've booked for February 2008 which is in the winter season schedule which have been loaded in the Thomsonfly system for a while now.

The flights been talked about on here are about next summers 2008 schedule flights which don’t start until the end of March.

five zero by ortac
3rd Oct 2007, 19:47
A mole tells me that CVT-JER is probably being axed for summer 08 as no aircraft available to operate it ex CVT.:{

SeamusCVT
3rd Oct 2007, 20:09
Looking at the timetable, there might be enough time after the PMI flight gets back, to go to JER, and then get back to do AGP in the evening. Might need to re schedule the PMI and AGP by about 20 mins if this is what Thomsonfly might be looking at. Certainly no excuse for lack of CVT based aircraft on a Wednesday: currently only two flights operating.

Big question is now, following the apparent decision to stop many city destinations, does JER (and CVT) now fit the TUITravel business model?

stars & sids
4th Oct 2007, 22:32
Looks like the TUI business model is swinging back more towards charter now, as in the days of Brittania. They started, then dropped DUB, AMS and CDG from DSA, while introducing Canary islands etc. This may be just a reaction to the DSA market's requirements, and you have to commend them for trying the market on the city break routes, but it looks like these are not now profitable enough to continue. Jersey has always done well from day one at DSA, so i can't see it being dropped. The DSA - PRG route also seems to be holding its own against competition from Jet 2 @ LBA, but will this also fall victim to a new TUI strategy?

GBALU53
5th Oct 2007, 17:31
With Flybe baseing an EMB195 in Jersey from the end of the month Jersey will not see the end of the BAE146.:ok:
A BAE146 from what I can make out will operate the second Jersey-Gatwick-Jersey flight which is one of two extra flights the company are putting on for this winter.
The BAE146 will be used at weekends to operate one of the schedules that routes via Guernsey, as the Guernsey BAE146 does a charter out of Gatwick at weekends in the winter for skiers.:ok:

idlejack
8th Oct 2007, 17:01
It has been announced that Thomsonfly will no longer be operating to Jersey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/jersey/7033959.stm

airhumberside
8th Oct 2007, 17:53
DSA, CWL and LTN (as already reported) being axed by TOM. CVT remains

Stepclimb
30th Oct 2007, 11:45
i see Luton is still operating today, thought it was being dropped at the start of the winter timetable?

GBALU53
30th Oct 2007, 17:48
The reason the Luton is operating today, the last one should be tomorrow.
With most airlines changeing there timetable to suit the clock change Thomsons summer finishes 31 Oct and the Winter kicks in on the 1st November this is the information i have picked up at lunch time.

airhumberside
30th Oct 2007, 18:45
TOM follow the tour operator seasons and not the clocks. Hence they change seasons on 1st May and 1st November

akerosid
31st Oct 2007, 12:21
From 20th May 08; Tuesday and Saturday afternoons, and in addition to the normal DUB flights. :ok:

Wonder will this mean the end of RE on this route? Certainly a big capacity increase, versus the weekly ATR72.

J-Guy
31st Oct 2007, 14:22
It is great to see Aer Lingus flying to Cork. The route always seems to do well although I would have thought Aer Arann is better suited to the route, but Aer Lingus is a good boost for tourism nonetheless. Looking at the times we’ll see the two A320s on the ground at the same time :ok:

Hopefully there will soon be some more positive news for the summer. Flyglobespan is going three times weekly to Durham Tees and no doubt there will be a few Flybe developments. There is also a small charter programme to Inverness from the end of June until the beginning of August.

Stepclimb
31st Oct 2007, 19:04
in the 'flybe section' of the JEP tonight, it says flybe will begin operating JER-LTN. but says nothing more than that....

GBALU53
1st Nov 2007, 08:42
Stepclimb
Flybe operated the Luton a number of years ago daily, then dropped it to Saturdays only, then along comes Thompson on the route and builds it with a daily flight, then due company restructoring it is dropped so Flybe wants to start the route again that they dropped. :ok:
With spare capicity with a third aircraft in Jersey which operates the two extra Gatwick flights they have just started, the Luton whould fit in well to operate in between them, any company should not have an aircraft sitting around just in case one goes tech.:ok:
Is there more to come out of the Flybe hangar with more routes out of not only Jersey but out of Guernsey as well?

Capt. J. Upgrade
5th Nov 2007, 08:43
Stepclimb:

If my memory serves me right, after the sentence on LTN they talk about other strategic routes that are being looked into. Where could these be and where will they originate? JER-???-JER or ???-JER-???

WATCH THIS SPACE :ok:

Stepclimb
12th Nov 2007, 19:22
flybe JERSEY-PARIS

in the JEP today they said that flybe were planning on starting jersey to paris in competition with BCI. something about sorting the details with the airport (subsidy i guess). what has changed since the last time this was on the table.

with luton, newcaste and paris could be a busy summer for flybe.

jetstreamtechrecords
12th Nov 2007, 20:00
Seems FlyBe are sending a message to Blue Islands. You step on our toes (SOU) we'll step on yours with size 10 boots...... JS32 vs Dash8:mad:

JulietNovemberPapa
13th Nov 2007, 01:04
Hi folks,

I flew JER-LCY last night.

Could someone please tell me the routing of the Bluebird Cargo 73F that I saw parked @ JER?

Cheers!

GBALU53
13th Nov 2007, 07:34
The Bluebird B737 is a day stop and operates a UPS contrat Monday to Friday.
It arrives from Rennes in France at 0700 every weekday and departs 1930ish
before and after Rennes it comes in from Germany which might be Cologne but no certain on that one.
In the local paper for Monday an article on Flybe stated they will reserrect the Charles Du Gaulle service in competition with the Blueislands Beauvais service? this could be due to Blueislands operating a service in competition on the Guernsey Southampton all be it a differant type of market meaning the bussiness type.:oh:
What next for Flybe they drop routes for a number of years and then want them back like the Luton and now the Paris.:ok:
Good news for the Island though, but will it attract more visitors? if so there is not many Hotels to put all these passengers on these new routes if they were all full. Interesting times ahead?:ok:

Stepclimb
13th Nov 2007, 12:12
i find it hard to believe that flybe would launch a new route purely to spite another operator. Its a bit too expensive and risky for a real airline to do such a thing.

let's hope that flybe start using the 195 to do more charters and weekend sun trips. bit more suited to it than the 146 was.

Goldilocks95
13th Nov 2007, 18:21
easyjet are going to operate jersey-ltn - told to me today by handling agent dm for jer, cwl and brs. id now like to see them operate brs to jer and undercut flybe!

akerosid
21st Nov 2007, 10:58
Confirmed today; Easyjet will operate to LPL from late March and to LTN on the 21st April, both daily. :D:ok:

Hopefully, this will grow over time, to add other routes, such as BRS (for Goldilocks!), STN, NCL, possibly even LGW; however, thankful for what we have to start with. Great news and hopefully more yet to come before the season starts!

J-Guy
21st Nov 2007, 12:39
The Easyjet routes are fantastic news. Jersey Airport and Economic Development have delivered one of the biggest announcements for years, which is terrific for the Island’s tourism industry and locals. The improved accessibility to Jersey from Luton and Liverpool provides the opportunity for tremendous growth, which is massively enhanced by Easyjet’s operation.

The summer schedules should be out soon. Hopefully there will be more good news to celebrate.

LegsUpLucy
21st Nov 2007, 13:51
If only everyone was as negative as that we would have no chance of developing the tourism/aviation industry on the island and we'd be left with no hope!i'm personally pleased to see the route growth in jersey,it shows a pro-active attitude and a change of will to at least attract growth again in the islands,so what if certain airlines get subsidies ,its been happening all over the continent for years now and its the airports perogative to attract business that was not forthcoming,incentives to airlines has attracted much growth,just look at all those dead dodo airports in france!!finally we are dragging ourselves into the 21st century,which will only benefit the communtiy and island .............:D

NickBarnes
21st Nov 2007, 16:06
Flybe have 2 new routes from Jersey for Summer 08, Aberdeen and Doncaster/Sheffield

Ametyst1
21st Nov 2007, 16:23
People do not have to go to Jersey for their main summer holiday. Jersey is a good destinations for short/weekend breaks and for people visiting friends and family in either direction. Also, some people do not want to travel 3 to 4 hours for a holiday and a 1 hour flight to Jersey may be attractive. People's choice is not always down to price.

akerosid
21st Nov 2007, 17:49
I think it's great news for JER and good on JG and those involved in reeling U2 in. There is considerable potential to grow; U2 has over 100 A319s on order (and another 88 on option), so let's be positive about the potential that exists; in due course, perhaps, U2 might even be tempted to consider basing 2 or 3 acft here, but that - if it ever becomes possible - is well down the road. JER has its foot in the U2 door and hopefully it will be a big success.

Incidentally, the U2 deal is for five years, so they won't be backing out that quickly!

BarTT
21st Nov 2007, 22:26
Not everyone wants to go to Jersey for holidays. There are a lot of Beans (ex Jersey residents) who live and work in the North West. I will be a regular easyJet LPL-JER customer along with my Family and Friends (That includes you Mrs Briggs!!) coming the other direction. There was a lot of positive response at work to the route with People wanting to take family breaks there next Summer!

LegsUpLucy
22nd Nov 2007, 10:24
Oh do wake up Rex,jersey is an upcoming short break/spa hotel destination,the world is changing,funnily enough,not everyone wants to sit on a beach in the middle east waiting for the next allah call,or putting up with german tourists in canaries nicking your towels!! some people want quick access,comfort,quality and relaxing breaks too, jersey can offer this!!its called adapting to new markets....:ok::ok:
The subsidy issue is a new concept for the channel islands,i say again for all not hearing this has been going on in the continent for over 5years,fearmongering isn't going to change the fact that jersey has to move with the times and tout for business it is the way forward if you want the benefits of the marketing power of easyjet/radisson sas etc etc. these companies marketing power are huge and this is what will get people talking Jersey....
:ok:

BarTT
22nd Nov 2007, 11:19
Well said Lucy!!

OA32
23rd Nov 2007, 08:00
"BMI were rumoured to have been given 3.5 mil every year (for 3 years) to fly to LHR twice a day. That is £5000 per return trip. Now I cant imagine that BA or FlyBe are getting anything like that to fly to LGW, in fact I would be surprised if they got any subsidy at all."

Given the fact that the Airport is in the middle of a supposed cost cutting exercise then it is highly unlikely that the States are giving subsidies like this. As previously suggested they are most likely giving reduced rate landing fees and assistance with advertising, anything else would leave them open to legal action and be against competition regulations.

As for the load factors on the gatwick route, don't be surprised if there are a few significant changes on that front, remember that BA now have a 15% stake in Flybe and are still looking at consolidation of bases and routes.........

bean
23rd Nov 2007, 08:11
Oa32 Wrong.:ugh:
The BA stake in Flybe ia for sale as soon as the eventual flotation on the stock market takes place. This was announced at the time of the BA Connect sale

The States have already admitted they are subsidising BMI in cash and will not divulge the figure.

BadAtco
23rd Nov 2007, 09:39
RexBanner, you sound like you have particular issues with Jersey airport, rather than just the EasyJet thread?

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Nov 2007, 12:03
Most of you enjoy your anonymity on this free site. It is right then that others who read and frequent it should be allowed the same courtesy. No matter what your personal views on them are.

By naming names as some of you have done in a few posts, that have now been deleted, you have broken PPRuNe rules.

Please do not do so again.

PPP

jerhippo
24th Nov 2007, 10:16
Who is going to handle Easy come easy go???? Will they have their own desk????

Trihandle
24th Nov 2007, 11:08
Hi Jerhippo

Servisair will be handling Easy when they start at the end of March.

Twenty minute turn arounds for the Airbus.

jerhippo
24th Nov 2007, 11:28
Wow!, are they going to have their own sales desk? I'm not sure it would work without it. At all their airports they have one.
I'm sure once they are in there the routes are going to expand and then a few airlines are probably going to pull out as the competition will be fierce.
Jersey seems to be getting it all the the moment jet2, easy jet , starbucks!!!! Whatever next??? Longhaul????

J-Guy
27th Nov 2007, 11:26
The Flybe summer schedule has now been released and there are a few developments.

Southend – additional Wednesday flight.
Bristol – Reduced from daily to 6x weekly (Dash will operate Southend instead).
Gatwick – Retains 6x weekday flights. 5x at weekend.
Newcastle – 4x weekly on Tu.Th.Sa.Su.

The 3rd based aircraft looks to be free on M.W.F., it operates to Newcastle on Tu./Th. between Gatwick flights. I suppose this is where Luton could have fitted in, but I don't know whether Flybe plan to utilise the free time now?

Doncaster and Aberdeen are still to be released. Other destinations are similar to previous years.

virginblue
27th Nov 2007, 11:34
* Jersey to Doncaster/Sheffield
Flights operate Saturdays from 30th March 2008
Fares from £39.99 one way including taxes and charges

* Jersey to Aberdeen
Flights operates Saturdays from 30th March 2008
Fares from £49.99 one way including taxes and charges

BAEGJJ
30th Nov 2007, 08:02
Monkey,

Combination of that and the loss of two frames from the LGW fleet (1 x 300 and 1 x 500) from next summer.

akerosid
30th Nov 2007, 11:13
Had a quick look at the Easyjet site; no sign of LTN schedules, but LPL are as follows:

Weekdays:
LPL-JER 1615-1730/ RETURN 1800-1915

Sat
LPL-JER 1005-1120/ RETURN c.1150*

Sun
LPL-JER 1435-1550/ RETURN c.1620*

(Didn't bother checking the return schedule; just assuming a 30 min turnaround as for the weekday flights, but they won't be more than 5-10 mins out).

Best wishes to U2 and here's to more orange on the apron here!

GBALU53
30th Nov 2007, 12:53
Manx 2 are acquireing two Dornier 228 aircraft which will be used throughout the airline's network.
From early next year the 19-seat aircraft will introduced on the Jersey service.:ok:

akerosid
6th Dec 2007, 18:02
These are the LTN schedules for EZY:

EZY has just released its JER-LTN-JER schedule:

Monday to Friday:
LTN-JER (1245-1350)
JER-LTN (1420-1520)

Saturday:
LTN-JER (1055-1200)
JER-LTN (1230-1330)

Sunday:
LTN-JER (1125-1230)
JER-LTN (1300-1400)

(Just for the sake of completeness, Jet2's LBA schedule is as follows:

Saturday:
LBA-JER (1000-1115)
JER-LBA (1145-1300)

Tues, Thurs
LBA-JER (1415-1530)
JER-LBA (1600-1715)

GBALU53
7th Dec 2007, 07:25
Who can answer this one?

Easyjet are selling the Luton-Jersey-Luton service as of the 30th March 2008 in the media it stated the start date will be the 21st April confused?

Have Easyjet brought the start date forward by three weeks or is this an error in the computer booking system?

With easter being the 6th to the 9th of April this could be a possibilty they route has been brought forward?:ok:

Ian Brooks
7th Dec 2007, 10:26
IDR

You are correct

Ian

GBALU53
7th Dec 2007, 12:14
Was looking at the wrong calender year.

Afterall it changes every year confuseing?

dscartwright
10th Dec 2007, 20:06
Hi all,

I'm very confused about FlyBe's timetable between NWI and JER for the beginning of 2008 - it seems to have changed!

Apparently they're running flights on Mon/Wed/Fri from 10/12/07-4/1/08, 17/3/08-28/3/08 and 30/3/08-24/10/08. So what happened to the bit between 7 Jan and 14 March??

Confusingly, I have a booking on a NWI-JER flight on 7/1/08 and JER-NWI on 9/1/08 which, according to the "My Flight" section of the site still exists. Yet if I try to do an online booking for those dates, it says that no flights are available (and as I've never seen those flights full, I don't believe that it's down to them being booked up).

Is it just a finger-trouble job on the part of the Web site people, or are the trips I've booked on Jan 7th and 9th now phantom flights?

David C

J-Guy
11th Dec 2007, 16:01
I notice in tonight’s JEP that Flybe. has requested a license to operate between Jersey and Cardiff from March 1st...a new route to be announced then? Additional frequencies to Cardiff would be welcome for 2008 considering the loss of Thomsonfly and bmibaby reducing the route to twice weekly.

Also I see the application for Doncaster is effective from March 1st but it is not supposed to begin until May. The Aberdeen application is effective from May 1st so are there some changes proposed to the Doncaster flight?

GBALU53
11th Dec 2007, 17:27
Where did this spring from Flybe wants to operate to Cardiff?
Would this meen they would pull off the Bristol, if so that could be another one for Easyjet to take on.
With Flybe haveing more movements into Cardiff than Bristol it could tie in.
We must wait and see what comes out of this.

J-Guy
14th Dec 2007, 09:48
Now confirmed...the Flybe Cardiff service is on sale at 3x weekly. From March 24 there are flights on a Monday and Friday with a Saturday flight added from May 24th. There is also an additional Wednesday Doncaster flight from May. The flights are operated using a Jersey based aircraft.

airhumberside
24th Dec 2007, 21:26
With todays AF purchase of VLM:

1 - Will they still have their summer Saturday operation
2 - Does this create an opportunity for JER-CDG using the daystopping VLM aircraft. Would enable worldwide connecting opportunities and an alternative to crowded LHR and LGW where long haul city destinations are lacking

Any thoughts from JER locals or anyone with more knowledge/insight than me?

akerosid
4th Jan 2008, 16:04
Some interesting comments were made by Cityjet CEO, Geoffrey O'Byrne-White, about the AF takeover of VLM. AF also owns VG and the Cityjet CEO is in charge of the integration of the two carriers, since AF also owns WX.

O'Byrne-White is in charge of the integration with VLM and said it offered a "great opportunity" for CityJet to expand. The two will operate as separate brands initially but CityJet is likely to subsume VLM over time, boosting its position as a regional player. (Quote from Irish Times)

I wonder what effect this is going to have on fleet planning; Cityjet has recently started taking delivery of RJ85s, but AF/KL have ordered Embraers; VLM's F50s will have to be replaced at some stage. There are some interesting challenges and opportunities for JER out of all this, not least of course, the prized JER-CDG.

GBALU53
4th Jan 2008, 17:45
Akersoid
Could this be a possibility.
Cityjet replace the VLM London City-Jersey-London City with an RJ85 and operate London City-Jersey-Charles Du Gaulle-Jersey-London City?
Not a bad idea?:ok:

akerosid
10th Jan 2008, 15:25
BE has announced the launch of a 3w summer service to Cardiff, but note the comment in this extract from the BE statement:

Another brand new flybe route from jersey for summer 2008

10 January 2008

Low cost airline reinstates Jersey’s Welsh connection

"Flybe, Europe’s largest regional airline, has announced a further expansion of its summer service out of Jersey with a three times weekly route to Cardiff in a move that reflects its commitment to enhancing its Island service as well as re-instating the Island’s Welsh connection.

The new service operates Mondays and Fridays effective March 17 as well as on Saturdays between May 24 – September 27. Flights are available now for booking in time for travel over Easter with lead in fares from £29.99 one way including taxes and charges.

This latest announcement will provide even more choice for reliable, low-cost services from Jersey. The addition of this route follows hot on the heels of Flybe’s announcement of an enhanced summer route network from Jersey that now includes Edinburgh, Glasgow and Newcastle as well as Paris. "

Did I miss something? When did they announce Paris? When does it start etc?

J-Guy
10th Jan 2008, 16:37
I too noticed the reference to Paris in the press release. I think it is a slight error and should instead read an "enhanced summer route network from Cardiff" as these routes are to be operated from Cardiff for the summer season. The Cardiff route has been on sale for a while now so it is good to see it get some publicity at last.

Also looks like the Swiss International Zurich charter returns for the summer. Operating ZRH-NQY-JER-ZRH on Saturdays from May to September. Maston returns as well with a VLM charter.

virginblue
22nd Jan 2008, 10:18
I was wondering the other day about the history of the air services from JER and GCI to the airports on the French coast. If I have not missed a service, these are now down to Guernsey-Dinard on Aurigny and Jersey-Cherbourg-(Paris) on Twin Jet (is there any local travel on those Cherbourg flights?)

Dinard seems to be the only airport that has enjoyed some lasting success at least from GCI. I remember that Aurigny a while back also (or instead?) served St. Brieuc, and in the very early days of Aurigny there were flights to Granville as well (at least that is what I read somewhere). Other reasonably close by airports in France, although already at some distance for a Trislander, are Rennes, Lannion or Caen - have there been flights to those as well in the past? Have there ever been direct flight from ACI to France?

How in general are these shorts hops doing - are they more a tourist or used by local residents? I guess in times of fast ferries JER is a more difficult market than GCI for those flights locaionwise, while GCI simply lacks the population for decent demand?

Jerbourg
22nd Jan 2008, 11:00
Many years ago(early 70's), Aurigny used to fly ACI- Cherbourg with an Islander, & in more recent years JER to Dinard & Caen - both routes now withdrawn. Rockhopper did I think operate JER - Dinard for a very short time after Aurigny's withdrawal. Jersey European also operated JER - Dinard for a number of years with a Shorts 360 service. Blue Islands operated a JER/GCI - St Brieuc service until about 18 months ago.

The GCI - Dinard service is still flown by Aurigny & is used mostly by islanders. It would be good to see a few new French routes from the islands to the north coast of France, but I doubt any of the existing carriers would be interested in operating such a service.:*

G-JECL
22nd Jan 2008, 11:21
I would think a GCI/JER combined service to Caen say three times a week would prove reasonably popular, not only for the legal profession but also for the many schools who are linked and affiliated to the Univeriste de Basse-Normandie in Caen. I'm sure that the States in both Islands and the Conseil Regional de Basse-Normandie would offer support for such a route as it would enable relations between the these historically liked destinations to be improved even further.

I also think a similar route to Rennes or Nantes could prove reasonably popular too. I believe the Blue Islands Paris Beauvais service has proved to be quite popular so im sure a similar service to the above named destinations could also prove to be reasonably popular, especially the likes of Nantes which has a large number of international connections.

Jerbourg
22nd Jan 2008, 13:00
I think the frequency on the JER- Beauvais Blue Islands service has been reduced, so maybe it isn't that popular......

G-JECL
22nd Jan 2008, 14:12
Maybe 6 times weekly was too much, maybe 4 times weekly is more suitable for the market, remember when Blue Islands started the service it was in untested waters, plus it is winter and many routes by many airlines are reduced down during the winter, so maybe come summer time the service will be brought back up again to 6 times weekly. I have heard that certain days of the week particularly Fridays JER-BVA and Sun and Mon's BVA-JER are generally very nearly full if not full.

Ayline
22nd Jan 2008, 19:18
In addition to the French routes already noted, Jersey European operated between the Channel Islands and both Dinard and St. Brieuc with BN-2A Islanders G-BDNP (which crashed in Guernsey 18.09.81 while operating JER-GCI) and G-BESO.

J-Guy
22nd Jan 2008, 20:37
More recently I remember Air Bretagne operated flights from northern France in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Flights were operated to Brest, Caen, Nantes, St. Brieuc, Dinard and Paris Orly with a few Beech aircraft. They didn’t last particularly long; I recall one of the aircraft being impounded on Jersey in the end.

Nowadays there isn’t much demand, particularly from Jersey. I doubt the States would want to finance routes that do not benefit the Island economically, with the ferries serving Bretagne and Normandie so much more valuable for trade, tourism and culture. Although I suppose more distant destinations like Rennes and Caen are possible options as economic ties strengthen.

fudpucker
23rd Jan 2008, 09:32
Aurigny also flew GCI to Cherbourg for many years. People used it to connect with the train to Paris. From memory the train service was altered and numbers on the route died off.

G-JECL
23rd Jan 2008, 13:19
Jersey European also operated twin otters in and around the islands.

virginblue
23rd Jan 2008, 13:44
Intra (the nucleus of what was to become Jersey European in 1979 after a merger with EAS) operated Islanders:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/stephen.johnson/brymon/newb28.jpg

I came across these interesting timetable images from the 1970s:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/jy3.htm

This one shows the timetable for the Granville flights by Aurigny for summer 1968:

http://www.timetableimages.com/i-gj/gr6808a.jpg

Browsing through this nice collection, I also cmae across "Bretagne Air Services" that operated from Guernsey to Dinard in 1980.

Jerbourg
23rd Jan 2008, 15:17
JY operated 4 types smaller than, & before the arrival of the 360 in the early days

Islander
Twin Otter
Bandeirante

Various Twin Otters were leased in over the summer months in the early 80's from the British Antarctic Survey. Anyone remember them?

I mustn't forget Viscount G-AVJB which also carried JEA titles around the same period.

jetstreamtechrecords
24th Jan 2008, 12:49
Blue Islands is looking to switch their Do328 for something more economical to lease like J41 and restart JER DUB (& on to IOM?). They seem to be expanding the J31 fleet so commonality makes sense.

G-JECL
24th Jan 2008, 13:37
Operating something like the J41 instead of the D328 would make more sense for the company not only for fleet commonality but also due to the cross winds that affect the islands on a regular basis, unfortunately the J41 does not have the same passenger appeal as the D328.

I thought that DUB would be operated out of GCI as its GCI that wants the route, JER already has Aer Lingus operating the route (be it only in summer).

As I have mentioned on the IOM thread, I would expect to see BCI flying twice daily to the IOM by the end of the year.

Brown Bess
24th Jan 2008, 21:27
Yes I can remember the old days of JEA, Ayline was absolutely right, I still remember the night 'NP' crashed. There was also Islander 'XP', an old one from the west country. And don't forget Spacegrand came along later, about 1982, Jack Walker did not start the Airline, he bought it. The first SD330 came from Time Air, Canada, G-BEEO, 2 more were added before SD360's arrived, but the Twin Otter days were best, lots of fun before the move to Exeter.

akerosid
26th Jan 2008, 18:06
I've been hearing reports that the planned transfer of 319s from LHR to LGW isn't going to happen and BA's actual plan is to shut down its LGW operation and c/s with BE, in which it has an interest anyway.

Consequently, end of BA in JER ... possibility for U2 to get on LGW-JER in competition with BE/BA?

Evileyes
28th Jan 2008, 21:53
Some recent posts have been moved here> http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=310761

akerosid
2nd Feb 2008, 15:53
From today's JEP:

http://www.thisisjersey.com/news/shownewsarticle.pl?ArticleID=100885

Wonder what their game is; why mention just JER (among a small number of other routes); are they trying to screw the States for a higher subsidy when this route comes up for review? Surely other 319/320 (and particularly ER4) operated routes would also come under threat?

GBALU53
2nd Feb 2008, 21:08
akersoid

The BAA is trying to outprice the commuter aircraft at Heathrow it is the likes of the EMB145 and the Fokker 50 will be the operators into Heathrow are the operators will suffer.

At the moment out of the 14 flights between heathrow and Jersey there is only two flights operated by the ENM145 the Sunday morning from Heathrow and the Sunday morning out flights

The summer schedule 2007 had four flights the Saturday evening in and out and the Sunday morning in and out so BAA are trying to squeezenig the commuter aircraft not the likes ofthe Airbus operators as B.A. and Midland have a fleet of 319 and 320 aircraft but the likes of the commuter or feeder airlines.:ok:

nero83
5th Feb 2008, 06:16
I was told at the weekend that apparently BCI were about to shift the Do328 to JER full time in the near future. Anyone got any info on this, and if so, why?

GBALU53
5th Feb 2008, 09:18
nero83
If this info is correct on the move of the D328 to base it in Jersey could it be to cut down on Flight Deck cost?
If the aircraft is based in Jersey could one crew do the Isle of Man and the Swiss flights, four sectors starting at 0730 ish and finishing at 1730 ish.
If so it does cut the cost of operating the aircraft with only one crew to night stop.
This is only a thought I could well be wrong.

J-Guy
8th Feb 2008, 09:21
Anybody fancy a trip down to the Côte d’Azur? Weekly Flybe flights to Nice have been launched on Saturdays from 24th May until 27th September. Flights are operated by the Q400 and times are as followed:

Depart Jersey 07:15 Arrive Nice 10:30
Depart Nice 10:55 Arrive Jersey 12:15

It is an interesting route choice following on from the winter Geneva flights. Should be good for those looking for a direct summer holiday. The times currently clash with the schedules of the two other based Q400s so possibly one of the Gatwick flights will be removed?

eyeinthesky
8th Feb 2008, 10:04
If the 328 is Jersey-based it means that at least the Jersey-Switzerland flight can go if the weather precludes landing from Guernsey first.

It also reduces the need to position crew across from Guernsey to crew-change in the middle of the day.

GBALU53
9th Feb 2008, 21:38
With Flybe to Nice how about a summer weekly to Spain?
How about Barcelona?

akerosid
23rd Feb 2008, 16:54
Strong rumours abound that BA will use the RJ85s it is acquiring from Blue1 for a JER-LCY operation ... replacing JER-LGW.

jerboy
24th Feb 2008, 01:41
JER-LGW is a 6 (soon to be 5) daily route. It's well known that JER-LGW is one of the most profitable shorthaul routes BA has (25 in C on a 735 is not uncommon). Plus many many Gold card holders, and a few Premiums fly ex-JER often.

Its worth remembering that the VG 3xdaily JER-LCY service failed and is now operating just once daily (I would think even this is in doubt with the acquisition by AF-KL)

Whilst I'm fairly sure an LCY route would prove fairly popular (with BA, unlike VG)... would there be sufficient slots at LCY to give a similar sort of service? I doubt it, especially during the early morning and evening time periods. I for one think that many passengers would be driven to the BE (E195) services or the BD LHR services (not necessaraly a bad thing as I'm a big supporter of BD).

If a BA JER-LCY service does commence, I would think that they would be in compliment with the LGW flights; if anything it would be to test the water.

I stand to be corrected with the slot issues at LCY, but the LGW figures are still doing extremely well against the new 6xdaily BE services, and I'm pretty sure that JER-LGW is still a good money spinner for BA.

It depends on who you believe but there are many rumours of expansion or reduction of BA services from LGW. But BA are still keen to serve JER... trust me.

GBALU53
24th Feb 2008, 08:46
jerboy

When Flybe took over B.A.Connect last year in the deal B.A. had 15% shares in Flybe.:D

There is talk about Flybe and B.A. code share on the Gatwick Service if this is correct why operate the service along side?:ok:

There is talk as well that Flybe will be moveing to the North Terminal at Gatwick, why would they do that closer working with B.A. as per code share.:ok:

With B.A Boeing 737s being returned to the leaser or passed on the Airbus would be the aircraft to replace them, there has been mutterings some while ago about the Airbus operating the Jersey route but that has gone very quite so might not happen.:ok:

So what will be the outcomes we will have to wait and see on all this.

beauport potato man
24th Feb 2008, 11:05
jerboy....

The amount of gold and premier cardholders in JER is irrelevant to the continuation of a service - just look at JER-LHR. BA dropped that pretty smartish, and i don't think for a second that these frequent fliers prefer LGW....

BA might well remain committed to LGW, i doubt it though. They had the opportunity to expand there recently with the acquisition of GB routes but didn't opting to drop a few routes to make space instead. And there were plenty of slots & a/c available to do so if they wished.

With the demise of the BA regions, the end of franchises, the opening of T5, the beginnings of an ambitious point to point operation (open skies), the movement of long haul services to LHR, where do you see LGW fitting in? 90% of its operation is short haul that is a long way from profitability...

JER-LGW by easy by next summer.... watch this space

akerosid
29th Feb 2008, 17:05
Blue Islands will be starting a DUB service with the Summer season: thrice weekly (Mo, We and Fri).

Dep JER 0800 Arr DUB 1030 (via IOM)
Dep DUB 1055 Arr JER 1225

The service is expected to operate year-round.

Airbourne-Adamski
13th Mar 2008, 19:09
With easyjet's first flt into JER next week (20th) sounds like it is going to be a good press and media affair.

What is the current awareness in JER and with the islanders with regards to easy starting up routes in JER?
Hopefully it is good news to island and everyone is looking forward seeing easy.

GBALU53
19th Mar 2008, 16:00
Ref the new Jersey to Paris service.:ok:

How will it operate will this be done by a Jersey based aircraft?

If a Jersey based aircraft, does this mean another aircraft based in Jersey as the two Dash aircraft a fully committed already?

If it is a third aircraft, it does give some slack not only for an aircraft going tech but for more growth?

So can there be more in the pipe line for Jersey.

Are there some more secrets to come out of the Exeter Base for Jersey?

Trihandle
19th Mar 2008, 17:19
I see the Isle of Man flight routes via Newquay in both directions to & from Jersey.
Don't think this will appeal to many with a three hour flight but the base price looks quite good of £90 return for Isle of Man & £70 for Newquay

J-Guy
19th Mar 2008, 17:27
It is good news to see the addition of Paris CDG to the list of new destinations from Jersey. It is beneficial to have an additional air-link to a major hub for connections, business and, of course, tourism for which this new route opens up a relatively undeveloped market for incoming French tourists.

With Easyjet beginning tomorrow, the local authorities have once again shown themselves to be highly proactive in supporting Jersey’s vital air routes.

Looking at the Flybe schedule, I too wonder how the route will be accommodated because the additional Q400 routes to Bristol, Newcastle, and Cardiff etc fully utilise the based aircraft. The same is true for the new Saturday Nice service, which does not fit in with the current based aircraft. It will be interesting to see how it is resolved.

The Twinjet Cherbourg & Orly service, however, looks like it is being dropped as a result.

akerosid
19th Mar 2008, 18:23
BE still connects with some carriers and I am just wondering if something could be done about this; it would be great if they could do an interline deal with AF. I had hoped that an AF regional partner (well, like Regional or BritAir) might do the route and feed into AF's network at CDG.

Has there been mention of a subsidy for this route? If so, should the States have insisted that there be an interline agreement in place, to ensure that the maximum possible benefit could be derived from it.

fredtheanorak
20th Mar 2008, 17:40
new based aircraft doing JER GCI in peak morning/evening times and Paris and Switzerland in between .............:):)

jerboy
25th Mar 2008, 01:17
News is that Twin Jet are pulling their JER-CER-ORY service in the near future.

No great loss I suppose, it never really operated with more than 5ish people. They're a strange little airline, surprised they hung around here for so long leaving an a/c sat on the ground all day for so few pax.

Has anyone here actually flown them?

GGFFB
25th Mar 2008, 14:47
jerboy,

Twinjet made their money on the CER-ORY sectors where they had a contract to carry workers to the nuclear power station. I believe their 'international airline' status achieved by flying to Jersey was a key part in them been awarded the contract.

I beleive they will continue to operate ORY-CER but the crew and aircraft will slip in Cherbourg for the day

macuser
26th Mar 2008, 19:00
Reckon the Flybe NWI service to Jersey is going on to CDG

GBALU53
26th Mar 2008, 23:00
It does look like the Jersey to Charles Du Gaulle service is being operated by a Norwich based Dash.
So Jersey has an increase on the Norwich at the expense of Guernsey? with Guernsey loseing there Norwich Monday, Wednesday and Friday Norwhich connection but have one on a Saturday.

J-Guy
27th Mar 2008, 12:49
It is not particularly good to see the Guernsey Norwich flight go from daily last summer to just a weekend flight this year, which is unfortunate for tourism. But it looks like in response to the new CDG route, the Blue Islands Beauvais flight will operate direct from Guernsey both ways. Not really a big loss for Jersey passengers who can still connect on to the flight.

The return Isle of Man flights have also reverted back to a direct routing on the days that Dublin was supposed to operate, which is good for business passengers. Okay, the Dublin route isn't starting, but for passenger convenience the stopover was a problem.

Lufthansa are also using a BAe 146-200 on the schedule Dusseldorf service between July-August, so we haven't lost the aircraft just yet :ok:

Gloucester gets an additional Saturday flight too. Another indirect Isle of Man flight, but Gloucester on its own should do well supported by the tour operators.

virginblue
27th Mar 2008, 15:27
Amadeus shows a CRJ700 for the DUS flight - has the type ever been operated into JER (how about runway length?)

Geo73
27th Mar 2008, 18:22
Virginblue

The DUS flight also operates into Guernsey (4800ft runway) so a BAe146 sounds much more likely.

virginblue
27th Mar 2008, 18:33
No, you are confusing this with the traditional GCI/JER charter flight which is scheduled to be operated by an ATR (LH5020) and starts on Apr 24.

The equipment change relates to the new seasonal scheduled flight by Lufthansa (LH4938) that starts on Jun 21. Originally it was also to be operated by a Contactair ATR72, but now pops up as an Eurowings (ex Duo) CRJ700.

J-Guy
27th Mar 2008, 19:42
Yes, the CR7 does show on the timetable for July and late August. The 142 is scheduled for the first two weeks of August.

virginblue
27th Mar 2008, 20:20
Which begs the above question - is this a first for JER? The only UK airline that ever operated a CR7 was Duo - and they did not serve JER. And not a lot of non-UK airlines have served JER regularly since the CR7 was introduced.

This is, by the way, the CRJ700 Series 701 ER performance data:

FAR take-off field length (SL, ISA) at MTOW 5,500 ft
FAR landing field length (SL) at MLW 5,090 ftm

Two-Tone-Blue
31st Mar 2008, 17:03
A new arrival on Pprune ... please excuse any gross stupidity.

My personal [OK, and selfish] need is JER to USA [IAD]. I can only get realistically to the latter via LHR. I am now well versed in LGW-LHR taxis, and overnight hotels, as I can never make a connection on the same day. The peripheral bills just mount up and up ... :{

Do you experts ever see a prospect of a viable LHR link, preferably with BA [did I say that?] so I can also get the trans-Atlantic baggage allowance on the x-Channel sector?

Flitefone
31st Mar 2008, 17:19
JER - IAD, take JER-LGW-PHL and rent a car (if US Airways still operating it), depending where you want to get to around NW Washington/Dulles, its not a bad drive, have done it a few times.. just avoid the Beltway in the rush hour..

Alternately, connect to IAD or National through BOS.

Or better still... Flybe JER - SOU and rail-air link to LHR, you'd make the last two direct IAD flights out of LHR easilly then, avoid the M25 and the Washington Beltway!

:)

captainyonder
31st Mar 2008, 18:50
bmi have a twice daily LHR link from JER, nice and simple!!

JulietNovemberPapa
31st Mar 2008, 18:52
bmi have a twice daily LHR link from JER

Indeed they do. My wife and I will be flying JER-LHR in July. You can get some brilliant fares - from £22 including taxes for a one-way.

I guess the route varies between the 319 and 320?

eyeinthesky
31st Mar 2008, 20:39
Or Blue Islands to Zurich and then IAD from there. Might be expensive, though! Of course, if you're not paying, why go to Hellrow and let your bags join the other 20000 lost ones when you could enjoy Swiss efficiency?

JulietNovemberPapa
31st Mar 2008, 21:01
if you're not paying, why go to Hellrow and let your bags join the other 20000 lost ones

I can't imagine many problems lost-bags-wise with BD.

jerboy
31st Mar 2008, 21:54
I guess the route varies between the 319 and 320?

Yup, generally the 319 in the mornings and the 320 in the evenings except Sun mornings where its the E145.

Its a great service, T1's a lot quieter now BA have moved out.

I can't imagine many problems lost-bags-wise with BD.

And no... BD are quite good with the bags. Its usually the through checked BA ones that go amiss :ok:

Two-Tone-Blue
1st Apr 2008, 10:25
Thanks for the tips, folks. We're fairly regular travellers to IAD ... the difficulty is the way JER sectors keep changing. How long will BMI keep the LHR option going, for a start!

Yes, we're going BMI to LHR outbound in late May. However, return is BA to LHR and then BA LGW-JER. Three weeks' clothing and some shopping tends to cross the baggage limits, and at least that way we get the trans-Atlantic baggage allowance on the x-Channel sector. ;)

I'll take a look at some of those other options, although we were hoping to avoid either internal airline changes in USA, or a lengthy drive after a day or so travelling. At least IAD is just 45 minutes from where I'm headed, even with beltway traffic!!

whatbolt
1st Apr 2008, 22:20
But not necessarily on time.

Two-Tone-Blue
4th Apr 2008, 14:08
If the stories are true, and Virgin is planning to take over BMI, would you experts visualise the current BMI hop to LHR being re-scheduled [as a VS sector] to allow pax to connect with the morning VS flights to USA?

Surely there would be demand from the Finance community for such a connection?

akerosid
16th Apr 2008, 18:50
If this goes ahead - and Branson clearly wants it to happen - I would have concerns for the future of all BD short haul routes from LHR; RB isn't interested in the A319/320/ERJ routes - he wants the slots.

Unless the UK govt does something (unlikely?), that would be a seriously bad development for JER. The best hope we would have is that by the time the 3 yr BD contract expires (2010), Mixed Mode would be in use at LHR which would hopefully protect some of the short haul slots.

New route from JER: Summer charter with VLM to Manston, Saturdays:

http://www.kentinternationalairport-manston.com/news-JerseyRoute0804.asp

(Well, I had to avoid their tiny error in calling it a "New Jersey" route ... ;))

uncovered
16th May 2008, 14:37
Flybe records 25% increase in demand for Jersey- London Gatwick service

16 May 2008

Flybe, Europe’s largest regional low cost airline, reports unprecedented demand for seats on its popular Jersey – London Gatwick service with advanced summer seat sales having increased by 25% over 2007.

Mike Rutter, Flybe’s Chief Commercial Officer says: “We have been absolutely bowled over by the demand on this key route. Our decision to offer Islanders the opportunity to fly to London on our brand new 118-seat state of the art Embraer 195 jet aircraft has clearly been welcomed by Islanders wanting to enjoy not only an affordable service but one that is comfortable with spacious 2x2 seating configuration.”
Flybe is also pleased to have had recent recognition for its ‘very good’ punctuality and reliability rating on its London Gatwick service by flightstats.com, an online information portal now adopted by Jersey Airport as a measure for airline performance.

“We are committed to serving the Island community by providing the most affordable and convenient service on this route,” adds Mr Rutter. “It is one we recognise as being of strategic importance to both business and leisure travellers. As a result, we are considering increasing our daily schedule with the addition of another two flights, especially at the beginning and end of the day. With this end in view we are exploring whether slots would be available to take the service to eight a day.”

Cloud1
16th May 2008, 22:43
Hmmm I was under the impression that pax numbers had fallen on this route...........How many more services do they intend to add as they operate 6 services each weekday as it is.

akerosid
17th May 2008, 01:17
Just wondering if this announcement is a prelude to the announcement of a joint BE/BA operation; BE can increase its operations ... if BA were to cut its flights altogether, as has been rumoured ...

GBALU53
17th May 2008, 08:17
akersoid
Spoke to a good source on Thursday about the winter schedules for B.A. Jersey to Gatwick.
The person said it will be a mix of B737 and Airbus aircraft.
The mix I am lead to beleave is due to the smaller B737 500s will be gone shortly.
Although with Flybe trying to add more Jersey to Gatwick does seem to show they are trying to get B.A. off the route?
On the other hand B.A. might not hand over the route until they are sattisfied Flybe can cope?.
As we know there is another carrier in the back ground that would step in if there is only Flybe on the route.
We will have to wait and see on this on how the winter pans out for the route.

GGFFB
23rd May 2008, 11:02
At present Jersey is the top performing short haul route bar a couple of LHR routes (GVA and CDG) spring to mind in terms of volume. It is also the biggest route at LGW in terms of Club Europe pax by a mile. The reduction in numbers in the Club cabin was partly due to an agreement between ops and rev man to peg the max divider at 30 due to the short flying time and the need for additional crew which offset the revenue gained.

We have consistantly grown the market share at the expense of BE and the load factor is also up vly (although admittedly this is partly due to the decrease in capacity). These figures are freely distributed between all carriers between here and London and are there for all to see.

There is catagorically no intention to hand over the route to BE at any time in the forseeable future. :ugh:

It is correct that JER will recieve a mix of 735's and busses over the coming winter, which will increase to 90% Bus by the start of next summer.

akerosid
23rd May 2008, 17:09
Good to hear JER doing well for BA.

I guess the one question I'd have is whether the groundings recently hinted at by WW might have an effect on the 735 fleet; if, as I suspect, the 735 is one of the first fleets to be cut back, then JER could see 319s sooner?

virginblue
31st May 2008, 14:51
Sorry for being slightly off-topic:

I am travellig to St. Malo via JER in late June on a LH flight from DUS. I will have a couple of hours in Jersey before continuing to France with a ferry in the evening. I am surprised that there is huge price difference between HD Ferries (16 GBP) and Condor Ferries (28 GBP) on the Jersey-St. Malo route. Any reason why I should avoid HD as the cheaper option? Do they tend to cancel sailings?

Never travelled to/from JER on a ferry - is the ferry terminal close to "downtown" St. Helier or is it somewhat awkward to get there from the airport (I am travelling light)?

J-Guy
31st May 2008, 17:44
HD Ferries had a lot of problems last summer with their vessel, which gained them a lot of bad publicity and it is well documented on the internet. They’ve been operating again since Easter and so far, from what I can make out, have been fairly reliable, but of course the reputation still sticks somewhat. I wouldn’t have any problem choosing either of them but if you want complete reliability then I think Condor would be the safer option. There is a foot passenger ferry too, Compagnie Corsaire, which operates to St Malo.

The ferry terminal is well signposted from town. It is only around 10 minutes from the centre of St Helier but make sure you go to the Elizabeth Terminal where Condor and HD operate from; but the whole town is fairly compact and easy to navigate.

Interestingly, HD Ferries is owned by the same group as HD Air, formally BAC Express.

virginblue
31st May 2008, 18:25
Thanks for your help.

There is a foot passenger ferry too, Compagnie Corsaire, which operates to St Malo.

Interesting. Have never come across them while searching. Quite strange that they do not have an English website and their online reservation system does not allow one-way bookings for sailings departing from Jersey.

Hmm, on the day I am travelling there are four sailings with 105 minutes - 1715 on Condor, 1745 on Corsaire, 1815 on Condor and 1900 on HD. As a foot passenger in late June - is it safe to just walk up and buy a ticket before departure or is there a risk that one does not get on board (I would guess not, but you never know)? Or are fares (much) higher for last minute ticket purchases?

My excuses again for this OT content, but I cannot think of any other place where I could get better first hand onformation.

J-Guy
1st Jun 2008, 09:12
I would imagine that you would be fine to purchase a ticket on the day in June. I don't think prices fluctuate too much and if you travel on a stand-by basis then the cost is likely to be reduced.

VickersV
10th Jun 2008, 19:02
Does Jersey have duty on Aviation Fuel?Is it comparably low in relation to other EU airports,as a corporate operator is it beneficial to stop off there en-route to the Tracks for US/Caribbean?:ok:

welkyboy
10th Jun 2008, 20:50
No duty on fuel as such, but Avtur is more expensive than UK due shipping costs. Avgas is £1.09 per ltr at the moment.

VickersV
11th Jun 2008, 23:13
How does Jersey fair in the grand scheme of fuel charges for Jet-a1 in comparision to the rest of europe?
Any idea?:ok:

jerboy
11th Jun 2008, 23:30
is it beneficial to stop off there en-route to the Tracks for US/Caribbean?

JER's runway doesn't quite have the length needed (1700m) to send a fully loaded pax jet off to the US/Caribbean!

VickersV
13th Jun 2008, 11:31
I'm referring to biz jets operating from jersey:ok:

Trihandle
14th Jun 2008, 09:41
Hi VickersV

Jersey does have biz routing out of the Island to East Coast of American
and also to Dubai and various other destination in a that area as well

virginblue
26th Jun 2008, 16:36
Yet another change on the JER-DUS route - flight has been pushed back by approx. 2 hours and is now scheduled to be operated by an Eurowings BAe 146-200. First it was an ATR72, then a CRJ700. Not sure what the reason for the equipment change is, but I was quite sceptical about the CRJ700 right from the beginning.

akerosid
26th Jun 2008, 17:03
Well, it was a CRJ-700 last week. Hope they stick with that!

JetPhotos.Net Photo » D-ACSC (CN: 10039) Lufthansa Regional (Eurowings) Bombardier CRJ-701 by John Fitzpatrick (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6282308&nseq=5)

jerboy
26th Jun 2008, 19:04
Soooo the runway is being resurfaced. Except for all the NIMBYs whinging about noise etc it seems to be a good decision taken fairly easily by the good old United States of Jersey (for once).

One problem, during the resurfacing program (to run between Sep 08 and Apr 09) late night extensions WILL NOT be being granted by the airport. Once 2100 ticks past, the runway is closed whether your flight has arrived/departed or not, and it will be diverted/cancelled.

The runway will only open for emergencies (could be interesting landing on molten asphalt... but hey). Air ambulance services to SOU etc will have to be operated by helicopter. I hear it still remains to be seen whether this will be from the airport or another location on the island.

Would it not have made sense to start the works in October at the end of the season where airlines had a chance to schedule their a/c in earlier?

It looks the best BA can do for Sep/Oct is to schedule their nightstopper in at 2100L... pushing it a bit? Also BD is due out to LHR at 2045, which looks unchanged for the winter schedule as well (place your bets as to whether they hang around that long or not though) so the detective in me can envisage problems there also.

Could be an interesting winter, I certainly won't be booking any tickets for evening flights!

macuser
28th Jun 2008, 22:06
i think you will find that that the be/ba late arrivals and the bd turnaround has been pretty good in recent months although i did hear bd crew had rest/meal break whilst in jer. maybe that will have to have a rethink.

BarTT
29th Jun 2008, 00:31
It was the same in Liverpool when we did ours. If your not in, or on final by close,it's off somewhere else! And we stuck to it!

Nubboy
30th Jun 2008, 08:34
Macuser,

we do have crew meals loaded for the turnaround. Last few times I've done the rotation, we had plenty of time for our turnaround. Seem to remeber the biggest wait was for the loadsheet before we could close up and go (on time, of course:ok:)

J-Guy
3rd Jul 2008, 17:00
I see that although we don’t yet have the full winter schedule, Jet2 have already launched a twice weekly Belfast service for summer 2009. Flights operate on Wednesdays and Saturdays with the latter a ‘W’ pattern off Leeds/Bradford (I assume).

The odds were on that we would see an enhanced Belfast schedule; it is one of the last major UK cities to remain solely a Saturday flight. I’m hoping too for an increase in Glasgow flights for 2009, which is in a similar position, and seems an obvious route for the likes of Easyjet.

akerosid
27th Jul 2008, 14:47
It's been reported that BA will announce a significant cutback of its s/h flying at LGW. An announcement is expected on Friday?

It will be interesting to see if, as many have predicted, there is a stronger link developing with BE (which is supposed to move to the North Terminal from October?). The big question, will this affect Jersey and might we see a codeshare with BE?

735s are being phased out over the Winter; I know 319s are being brought down from LHR and some are already scheduled on the JER route, but it wouldn't surprise me if JER is affected ...

beauport potato man
27th Jul 2008, 16:15
If this happens then i know a little orange airline hovering over the JER-LGW route with enough capacity to slip right in there......

GBALU53
27th Jul 2008, 16:15
I understand the Airbus will be operateing some Gatwick-Jersey services from next week.
The B.A. Jersey-Gatwick-Jersey service out performs Flybe on this route in passenger numbers, this could well be to do with the name, people still prefer to go by B.A.
Yes it has been reported that B.A. will cut back 5% of Domestic and European service ,so Jersey might drop a rotation on some days.
We will have to wait and see what W.W. has to say on this subject at the end of the week.

jerboy
28th Jul 2008, 14:29
I understand the Airbus will be operateing some Gatwick-Jersey services from next week.

The first few rotations are on 1st August (this Friday), should be nice to see some slightly less knackered looking planes down here!

Charlie Fox
31st Jul 2008, 10:49
Airport Director steps down after only two & a half years - any takers??

akerosid
31st Jul 2008, 16:34
Sorry to hear this; he has done a terrific job. He'll be a tough act to follow.

J-Guy
1st Aug 2008, 17:31
With regards to the BA frequency cutbacks, the late evening departure to Gatwick is dropped from the beginning of December until late February according to their timetable, with the last flight into the Island at 18:55 going to 20:00 again in late February.No drastic cutbacks on the face of it unless there are changes at a later date.

Also, any update regarding the future of Heathrow? There were supposed to be talks with bmi this week I believe, at least according to the news.

GBALU53
2nd Aug 2008, 11:00
The question is has Jersey still got a BMI Heathrow service?
The big guns were down in Jersey yesterday to talk about the route.
There was three theories on what might happen.
1. Drop the route as it has not performed as well as expected.
2. Down size to an E145 on the service.
3. Try a get more subsides out of the States of Jersey.
So what was the result?
There was also talk about changeing the schedule with a night stopper and a mid day rotation.
In view of cut backs due to fuel prices the option could be to stop it and use the slots for something else?

gkhoc
8th Aug 2008, 09:27
British Airways have dropped a rotation from the winter service

BA8034 JER LGW 07:00 08:00 BA
BA8035 LGW JER 08:35 09:40 BA BA8036 JER LGW 10:15 11:10 BA
BA8045 LGW JER 16:15 17:10 BA BA8046 JER LGW 17:45 18:40 BA
BA8047 LGW JER 17:55 18:55 BA BA8048 JER LGW 19:30 20:25 BA
BA8049 LGW JER 19:00 20:00 BA

but the times vary month to month and in March back up to 5 a day.
I presume this is due the works at Jersey this winter.

macuser
8th Aug 2008, 11:26
But Flybe continue with six rotations, I think

GBALU53
8th Aug 2008, 12:30
B.A. winter Gatwick route, with the introduction of the A319 on the route and haveing more seats than the B737 500 some flights have gained extra capicty
With the B737 500s going shortly, some of the Gatwick services will be a mix over the winter with some being by the A319 and from what I understand some will be with B737 400s, in doing this between the two types of aircraft on the route the capicity will be similar if not more than five rotations with the B737 500 over the winter period.
The summer 2009 programme shows as all A319s and back to five services Sunday to Friday with six services on the Saturday.
So things are not that bad, same amout of seats with one rotation less.

MARKEYD
14th Aug 2008, 16:54
There will be no loud old Palmair 737 services this winter to Tenerife from Jersey and day trips from Bournemouth as Travelmaker holidays are giving Tenerife a break for the first time since 1998

A real sign that bookings and demand are at a low at the moment , hopefully will return in Spring next year for some Palma charters

Two-Tone-Blue
20th Aug 2008, 16:47
I want JER-LHR with BA ... I'm really bored with paying for taxis between LGW-LHR and praying that the M25 doesn't suffer one of it's massive hiccups.

Could anyone ever see a prospect of that? Someone [BA it appeared] suggested JER-LGW was a productive route. Presumably the LHR slots are still too valuable to let us Islanders use them?

jerboy
20th Aug 2008, 21:16
Or the National Express shuttle between LGW and LHR?

Although loads recently between JER and LHR have been fairly good, I think one of the reasons for the JER-LON regulars preferring BA is the strong Exec Club presence in the island.

BA JER-LGW = points... and as we all know points mean prizes!

jerboy
20th Aug 2008, 22:21
i hear bmi LHR is being downgraded to the ERJ135/145 this winter. also they will struggle to meet the 2100 deadline from next month. they only have a 15min buffer between the 2045 STD and airport close. not hard to be 15mins late when operating from LHR.

Downgrade to E145 almost certain.

Provisional timings also to include 2-3hr groundstops in JER on each service due LHR slot availability. The evening service has been retimed and will operate out at 7.30ish.

On my understanding it's still provisional, its a shame we're (probably) losing the A319/320s but with the runway works taking place this winter, and predicted loads it makes it a more realistic schedule which may perhaps be beefed up again next summer. :confused:

GBALU53
21st Aug 2008, 08:13
jerboy
From what I understand not only the weekends but the middle of the week will be done by the EMB145 keping the Bus to do the flights that are normally better load factors.
What ever there outcome of the meeting in Jersey two or three weeks ago all has not been revealed.
There might be some underlineing factors here, like keeping the route going over the winter to keep the slots is one.
Things might change again at the begining of the 2009 summer schedules and with Sir M still to sell out 2009 might see some big changes anyway.

Two-Tone-Blue
22nd Aug 2008, 14:09
Thanks for inputs, folks ...

1. Yes, I want my BA miles!
2. I need to connect to BA out of LHR.
3. I don't travel by bus, thank you :)
4. I need my BA trans-Atlantic baggage allowance coming back cross-Channel ;)

Expanding on 4. above, I will have to calculate how much BMI will charge for excess baggage ... assuming the pointy-jet Embraer would allow it in the first place.
Hmmm... Two pax on BA [Club] = an allowance of 6 bags @ max 23kg each = potentially 138kg.
X-Channel on BMI is 20 kg per person, so 98kg @ £7/kg = potentially £686.
Actually, last time we only had 76kg total, so BMI [if we'd used them] would only have charged us £252 excess baggage. :(

You see my point, I'm sure!

VickersV
25th Aug 2008, 18:38
CF there is a new airport director already chosen

GBALU53
26th Aug 2008, 07:15
VickersV
When will every one be told who the new director is APRIL 1st?:ok:
If a new director has been appointed that was quick?:oh:
Could Mr L be returning for a short spell to fill the gap?::{

J-Guy
26th Aug 2008, 17:16
Blue Islands Zurich and Geneva routes become seperate flights from November instead of the current combined one; GVA departs 08:35 and ZRH at 15:15. Flights operate every week day with Geneva on a Sunday too.

Also, with the D38 in use, the Isle of Man reverts back to a daily J32 with a stop in Guernsey operating JER-GCI-IOM-JER-GCI.

Haven't a clue
26th Aug 2008, 19:32
So I've no chance of IoM/JER/GVA then. Shame!

GBALU53
26th Aug 2008, 20:26
Haven,t a clue
You could always stop over night, they say the beer is good down in the Islands?

keith328
26th Aug 2008, 20:46
If you take the Jetstream from IOM to JER, you will need an overnight and more than a few beers! 1.40 ish in a Jetstream, no thanks.

leccy
1st Sep 2008, 13:04
There is a beer festival Thur - Sat this weekend too. So make your stop over a couple of days :)

akerosid
5th Sep 2008, 18:03
:(

According to "This is Jersey" (and presumably the JEP), bmibaby is cutting its BHX flights until next Spring.

Easy is cutting LTN back to 5 weekly and LPL to 4 weekly.

Incidentally, the transition from 73Gs to 319s is now under way at LTN, so we may well have 319s flying there by next Summer.

OltonPete
5th Sep 2008, 18:18
akerosid

Baby BHX-Jersey appears not to be bookable after 28/9, the first of 12
bhx routes to be suspended or chopped at least until the week before
Christmas.

Pete

akerosid
6th Sep 2008, 18:06
BD 562 LHR 07:55 JER 08:55 ER3
BD 564 LHR 16:25 JER 17:25 ER3

Note use of Embraer 135! Must be the smallest non-VIP jet operating out of LHR!

Actually, these timings may work a lot of better, particularly for connection scheduling; the 7am departure was too early for inbound connections and the 8.45pm departure from here was too late for onward connections.

Assuming a 45-60min turnaround, the outbound departures will be at 09.40 and 18.15, give or take, which will be pretty convenient for many of the late night departures, to places such as JNB, HKG, etc.

jerboy
6th Sep 2008, 19:16
Assuming a 45-60min turnaround

Assume nothing!! :} Due slot availability LHR the outbounds are as follows:

BD563 JERLHR dep 1255 arr 1400
BD565 JERLHR dep 1915 arr 2015

Who wants to arrive in LHR at 2pm? I'm willing to bet not many are...

The ER3 may be due to operational reasons rather than predicted load factors/yield. The ER4 has problems operating with a full load in JER if its wet and windy (more than likely in the winter :*), I'm guessing the ER3 is a slightly safer bet?

Or the slightly less optimistic view: The new morning timing will certainly reduce demand and the ER3 won't be popular compared to the B737/A319/195's on the LGW routes, reducing demand further. This reduced yield will give BD something to tell the States if/when they went to pull of the route.

Anyway I reckon the newly acquired BD silver card will be useless fairly soon!

macuser
6th Sep 2008, 23:42
I don't think bmi are flavour of the month with the flying pencil, or rather the shortened (135) flying pencil. You either have no overhead locker on one side or, if you do on the other side, you bang your head on it. Far, far cry from the A319/320. Sister bmibaby not winning friends either with BHX gone for the winter and a £6 check-in fee I believe which, unless you are hand luggage only, can't get out of.

Facelookbovvered
7th Sep 2008, 08:26
Most people i know that have used the Barbie jet as paying passenger like it. The overhead locker space is an issue but ground handling normal have your bags at the foot of the stairs before you get off. bmi have no interest in volumes only yield and if some event requires a bigger aircraft they can normally find one. There some routes where the likes of BA wish they had a smaller aircraft to use, bmi regional is a full service product and on many routes provides a far higher standard than mainline in terms of food.

The 135 is now fitted with the same (thrust rated) engines as the 145

Re checkin charges i think baby have gone over the top on this, but they like all airlines have to cover the cost some how, but seem hell bent on following Ryanair on customer service standard, they really do need new kit some are in a shocking state paint wise.

Two-Tone-Blue
2nd Oct 2008, 11:10
Some good news for a change ... just announced on Radio Jersey News at 1200 that Julian Green is staying on as Airport Director! :ok:

GBALU53
2nd Oct 2008, 14:37
More Good news?:ok:
The man in charge of airline British Midland (BMI) said he would like to see an increase in the number of flights between Jersey and London Heathrow.
Sir Michael Bishop is in the island to meet airport and tourism officials.
He confirmed the airline's commitment to Jersey and told BBC News it was a valuable part of the BMI network.
His comments followed concerns raised when BMI announced its morning commuter flight was being suspended in its winter schedule.
Contract review
BMI began a twice-daily service on the route in March last year after being awarded an undisclosed subsidy and five-year contract by the States.
Sir Michael said the London link had proved popular, although it had not yet reached its optimum capacity.
He warned that for the link to continue in the future, people must carry on using it.
Still some hope of the Heathrow staying long term if they get the timeings correct? :ok:

BMI and the States will meet to review the contract in March next year.

macuser
2nd Oct 2008, 22:20
re Julian Green staying - best news!!! Open neck shirt - open to talks. He likes the Island. Saw Sir M Bishop (BMI) today- talked a good talk. remember the old Derby Airways days esp the Argonauts. What a sound!

Powerjet1
18th Oct 2008, 03:38
JER-LTN with easy. No flights after 4 Jan 09. Hopefully will return with the start of the summer schedules in March.

akerosid
18th Oct 2008, 06:33
And hopefully with a better schedule too; can't think that the change to a v.early departure to LTN did anything for the success of this route.

0523 cov man
18th Oct 2008, 11:27
any one going to do cvt as tom are going from there
0523 covman

OliWW
18th Oct 2008, 11:43
I think flybe would be suited to this route, if they move there jersey service about at BHX i think they could fit in 2/3 times a week to jersey from CVT

J-Guy
24th Oct 2008, 18:12
The Aer Lingus flights to Cork look as if they are dropped for 2009 after recently being available to book on-line. It is not surprising given that loads were not strong, the route didn’t suit an A320, but it is another loss for next summer. Hopefully Cork will return in some form, possibly as a charter; it appears to switch between airlines every summer. Dublin continues as 3x weekly.

On a brighter note, Jet2 have also added an additional Sunday flight from Leeds Bradford between 28th June to 6th September, and the scheduled Dusseldorf flight returns.

virginblue
10th Nov 2008, 16:56
Apparently Air Berlin is set to make its debut at Jersey in 2009. Rumour has it that shortly a saturday flight to DUS will be announced, STA 1440. Flight to operate from May 16 through to September 12, 2009. Equipment 737. This in addition to the traditional Lufthansa seasonal flight. AB will offer connections from TXL, MUC and VIE.

wakeup
10th Nov 2008, 17:08
New additions to the summer flight schedule 2009 With effect from the next summer flight schedule 2009, Air Berlin will for the first time be flying to the Channel Island of Jersey. Every Saturday a new Bombardier Q400 will depart from Düsseldorf to the southernmost and at the same time largest island of the archipelago in the English Channel. Air Berlin passengers will arrive at the island in the Atlantic, which offers good tourist access, after a flying time of about two hours. The flight departs from Düsseldorf at 2:05 pm and arrives on Jersey at 2:40 pm. Feeder flights are available from Berlin, Munich and Vienna.

pilot999
11th Nov 2008, 14:38
thats if they have not gone bust, they are severly hurting at the momment.

jerhippo
15th Nov 2008, 07:52
Anyone got any idea who is gonna be handling the Air Berlin flight from Dusseldorf @ Jersey????

GBALU53
15th Nov 2008, 09:04
jerhippo

If Servisair handle Air Berlin in the U.K. they would be a good bet on who might be handling them down in the Island.:ok:

If not Servisair who knows we will find out before the summer starts i would think?:ok:

jerhippo
21st Nov 2008, 15:28
is GSM flying to Jersey in the summer?

virginblue
21st Nov 2008, 16:47
Just saw that the traditional saturday charters from Germany on behalf of TUI/Wolters for 2009 only include Hanover and Frankfurt, opb by Lufthansa. Apparently no charter flight from DUS, which will, however, have a scheduled Lufthansa service and the new airberlin service.

The TUI website says that it "probably" will be possible to just book GCI-JER, but my understanding is that this will have to go through the tour operator as it is a charter flight. Apparently this is still subject to government approval.

J-Guy
21st Nov 2008, 20:11
Munich has also been dropped by Wolters.

Durham Tees does not appear to be operating either with Globespan. The route had good loads, but as with bmibaby before, it’s a result of the airline closing the base. I suspect it will return as a charter flight but it is yet another loss for the summer, which is bad new for tourism on top of other route closures/reductions.

With the loss of Luton too, will it be third time lucky for Flybe on the route?

akerosid
22nd Nov 2008, 05:32
Is Luton being lost altogether; I thought it was just for the rest of the Winter season?

jerhippo
22nd Nov 2008, 08:45
i thought it was just for the summer as it's not been doing very well

EI-BUD
22nd Nov 2008, 08:55
I understood that it was to return next summer. In a recent easyjet mag, I think November there was some commentary on Jersey, and that tag said Jersey -Easyjet fly from Luton and Liverpool. So that might suggest that they havent given up on it.

Besides all of that it is likely that a sweet deal was given to get Easyjet into Jersey. So unlikely they will give up on it so soon. Perhaps they will enter the LGW market?

J-Guy
22nd Nov 2008, 19:41
All other routes from Luton are available to book for the summer on the Easyjet website except for Jersey, which is an ominous sign.

Were loads that poor on the route as not to be able to operate the route during the summer? I know that with the current economic woes the Island’s air-links can’t be taken for granted, but if Luton is lost then it’s going to have such a detrimental impact on the tourism numbers next summer along with other reductions. The authorities attached a lot of hype and importance to the route along with Liverpool, so it’s just very disappointing that it couldn't last even a year.

Powerjet1
22nd Nov 2008, 21:14
The daily Luton route seemed to carry between 6,000/7,000 pax a month during the summer, so seemed fairly reasonable. It is not coming back with easy, for whatever reason, but Flybe are certainly in the frame again to replace.

jerboy
23rd Nov 2008, 00:28
The daily Luton route seemed to carry between 6,000/7,000 pax a month

That works out to 200 pax per day (on 6000 pax in a 30 day month). I know EZY pack em in but they dont to that capacity!

However I was under the impression it was doing rather well, certainly when I saw the pax figs (which were a few times per week over the summer) it was usually 120+.

But don't forget the JER-LON market is well served. With 11-12 LGW services per day (1300 seats(ish)), plus 2 LHRs (74 seats presently) one has to question how many more services are actually required.

On a separate note does anyone know which aircraft BD/LH will be sending to JER next summer? Currently showing as an E135 in amadeus. Would be nice, if a tad optimistic, to think they would upgrade it to an airbus again?

Powerjet1
23rd Nov 2008, 05:58
That works out to 200 pax per day (on 6000 pax in a 30 day month). I know EZY pack em in but they dont to that capacity!

CAA stats show July 6841, Aug 8035, Sept 6118.

Buster the Bear
23rd Nov 2008, 08:41
9238 seats available per month available assuming a 31 day month and a 149 seat B737.

149 x 2 x 31 = 9238

jerboy
23rd Nov 2008, 10:34
OK, my mistake! Was working it out one way :ugh:

BALLOO53
10th Jan 2009, 13:13
Any ideas on this one?

A company is interested in operating to Jersey with ATR and EMB195
aircraft.:ok:

With Guernsey unable to take the EMB195 there will be some tie up with AURIGNY?:)

From information passed on this could be happening this summer 2009.

The information did say about parking aircraft at Jersey, so could this be for some long term parking?:O

GBALU53
15th Jan 2009, 09:27
Today there will be an annoncement on the loss of another major route into and out of Jersey.:*

The operator and the States have known for some time that this will happen, they were just waiting for the day to tell every one.:ugh:

It will be no surprise to some of us that this was going to happen.

Should find out later on in the day or it might have even been released by now.:(

airhumberside
15th Jan 2009, 09:35
Travel Mole report its bmi's LHR service

J-Guy
15th Jan 2009, 10:14
It doesn't come as a surprise, the viability of the Jersey - Heathrow has been questionable since day one. Whilst I was pleased to see the route re-installed, it seemed inevitable that it would eventually be dropped with the changes that are occurring at bmi and the economic situation.

I imagine that the airport authorities and ministers are now going to come under criticism for what has happened. I don’t think offering the subsidy to bmi was necessarily a bad thing, overall it's been part of a pro-active attempt at improving Jersey’s air-links which has been quite successful. But the loss of the Island’s “trophy” route is a large blow to those who supported it, considering the concern raised over the undisclosed subsidy that was offered and previous assurance of the route's continuation :hmm:

jerboy
15th Jan 2009, 15:37
There was never enough passengers to maintain it long term. If it had stayed on the Embraers then there would have been a chance, but with these being moved out of LHR there was no way it would stay without a significant increase in business.

Despite relatively heavy advertising in the Island, there never has been the local business support that it needed to make the route viable. Even travelers with connections from LHR would take the 7am LGW flight and sit on the M25 for 1 hour+ to get to LHR.

One of the reasons is that with the extremely high number of BA Exec members of here. Although I wonder weather the few extra Exec Club points were worth the bother, when many are flying on long haul anyway (gaining large numbers of points in the process). But as I've said I've before on here - points mean prizes, and those prizes are obviously worth the inconvenience for many.

I don't blame bmi whatsoever. They gave it a good stab, and even with financial backing it was still making a loss. With LH taking over and (one would expect) being pretty ruthless, it was only a matter of time.

ChalfontFlyer
15th Jan 2009, 15:46
Just tried to book LHR-JER return at the end of March on the BMI website & it's saying last available service will be on Saturday 28th March. All dates after that are n/a so assume this confirms previous contributions although checking their media page no official announcement as yet.

old,not bold
15th Jan 2009, 16:57
Let's all be clear; the BMI service LHR/JER was simply a means of keeping the slot pair warm. It was never, ever going to be a viable operation commerically, even before looking at the opportunity cost of a slot pair wasted on that route.

Those in Jersey who thought otherwise, or professed to, were in fairyland, and were told that many times.

Let's not get into how much Jersey taxpayer's money was thrown away on their self-delusion.

In spite of what Jersey people think, Jersey's interests have no importance whatsoever on the mainland when priorities are being decided.

The Channel Islands need their own, robust airline, and it is a great pity that the short-sighted stupidity of Guernsey's politicians have prevented that being created.

Jerbourg
15th Jan 2009, 17:37
Maybe a triangular GCI-JER-LHR route would be viable?

On another subject I hear GR are about to announce a "new" route from JER