PDA

View Full Version : emergency procedures?

cessnasey
17th Jun 2006, 15:59
hi fellow aviation enthusiasts:}

just a quick question from a student ppl...

whats the emergency procedure for jammed ailerons or trim? is there a procedure?

if there is i havent been taught it yet! (still early stages however so...)

thanks for any input.

Shunter
17th Jun 2006, 17:34
I don't think you get taught it during PPL training. I didn't.

By jammed trim I presume you mean jammed elevator? Trim would be the way to deal with that. Jammed trim would just mean having to use a lot of effort with the elevators.

If your ailerons are jammed, use the rudder, but only gently, like 15 degrees. Yaw causes roll, roll causes yaw as you know, but you don't want to go overboard and end up in a spiral dive with half your primary controls out the window.

cessnasey
17th Jun 2006, 17:37
ooops, yes, i ment jammed elevators..

Confabulous
17th Jun 2006, 20:52
With a jammed elevator you would use elevator trim. The problem with this is that the trim now works in the opposite direction, so you would trim nose down to pitch up and vice versa.

Perfectly logical :E

gcolyer
18th Jun 2006, 02:13
Jammed aileron in a C150/152/172...open the door and the plane will bank in the opposit direction.

I actualy don't recommend it!!! but it does work.

IO540
18th Jun 2006, 07:27
If the elevator fails due to a broken linkage, but remains free, the elevator trim will continue to work as normal.

If the elevator fails but is stiff in a particular position and won't move, the elevator trim will also work but in the opposite direction.

cessnasey
18th Jun 2006, 10:03
thanks for all the replys.:ok: