PDA

View Full Version : Oban back to normal!!

Say again s l o w l y
17th Jun 2006, 01:29
It seems as if the fun and games at Oban is finally sorted out. From my source (A young chap many already know) the "interlopers" have been sent away and Paul Keegan has been reappointed.

So everyone get back up there and show what a good decision this has been.

Jammy Dodger's for everyone!!

Jude
17th Jun 2006, 09:36
:D What fabulous news, shame the weather isn't nice up there today. Will be venturing north asap.

Kiltie
17th Jun 2006, 09:41
Excellent! Can anyone else confirm what has been posted here? Good luck Paul and welcome back.........

BRL
17th Jun 2006, 10:48
Brilliant!!!! How about a fly-in??????? :ok:

S205-18F
17th Jun 2006, 16:33
I have just spoken to Paul and it would appear to be true!:D I am now planning a trip across tomorrow, Sunday, to see him and get my Jammy Dodgers. It would appear that the runways are open but restricted but none the less he is open for business fuel etc. Phone before you go though! 01631 710384 or 07770 620988
John.

FullyFlapped
17th Jun 2006, 17:19
Paul was telling me a week or so ago that his revenues are massively down, doubtless due to a combination of runway closures and the other seemingly idiotic shenanigans. I'm sure he'd appreciate some sort of co-ordinated activity to boost things along a little : so if one's being organised, count me in please ....

FF :ok:

S205-18F
17th Jun 2006, 19:15
Hi again Paul was telling me that although they are open they cant handle large numbers at present till the runway work is completed so if you want to go phone first!
John.

Say again s l o w l y
17th Jun 2006, 19:16
I'll see what I can do. I should be seeing Paul on Monday, so I'll have a chat to him then.

helicopter-redeye
18th Jun 2006, 10:52
There is a God after all, ... and he is very swift these days

h-r (after Lord Edmund Blackadder)

flybymike
18th Jun 2006, 13:06
Great news, But does anyone know what the council's proposals are regarding the improvements to the other island airstrips? It was on the basis of the widescale improvements to all of the airstrips that all of this carry on started in the first place!

S205-18F
18th Jun 2006, 14:37
I was looking at the councils website and the minutes of the meetings! What I have found is that the work on the islands is underway but there isnt a progress report that makes any sense! Barge loads of hardcore has been delivered but it would appear that the road cant stand the weight of the lorry taking it to the site! I will see if I can find out anymore:hmm:

Flap40
18th Jun 2006, 15:40
If you go to http://www.colonsay.org.uk/index.html and click on the "Newsletter" link there is an aerial photo of their new strip. There are also some more snippets in past newsletters.

flybymike
18th Jun 2006, 16:15
I presume it is intended as tongue in cheek, but the newsletter refers to their "massive new airstrip" on Clolonsay. Does anyone know how long it will actually be?

CDH
18th Jun 2006, 17:25
Hi again Paul was telling me that although they are open they cant handle large numbers at present till the runway work is completed so if you want to go phone first!
John.

Fantastic news, Well done Paul.
Does anyone know when the runway work is planned to finish?
Then lets have a fly-in :ok:

Bob Stinger
19th Jun 2006, 18:44
http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/newsroom/features/obanairport?s=24300&a=0
Improvements for Coll and Colonsay as well.

dublinpilot
19th Jun 2006, 21:04
Delighted to hear this.

I was only in Oban once, and that was a brief visit, but the welcome I received was enough to ensure that I wrote my letter of support when this all started.

I'm glad to hear Paul in back in command......lets hope it stays that way.

Anyone know what actually happened?

dp

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jun 2006, 21:48
Fantastic, glad to hear that Paul's hard work and perseverance have been rewarded again.

I shall endeavour to schedule a visit there again this year.

G

Ringway Flyer
20th Jun 2006, 06:27
First Class News! We'll be heading north on the next fine Saturday.... (PPR of course, Paul). Really pleased that the last time we we're there wasn't...
:ok:

GK430
20th Jun 2006, 11:48
A man from HIAL said they were taking over the contract to run Oban in '07....?

Fuji Abound
20th Jun 2006, 12:06
Brilliant news!

Such a nice place.

I shall always remember my trip there by Seaplane, being greeted with Jammy Dodgers.

Bob Stinger
20th Jun 2006, 13:42
Sent an email to find out a bit more about the improvements on Coll and Colonsay
Reproduced here in full.

Further to your request to Councillor Currie for information regarding the proposed Colonsay airstrip, this is identical to the Coll airstrip details i.e. Code 1A, 500m long, runway 11/29 ( Completion in August with the terminal building being completed slightly sooner in December.

Further to your email to Councillor Gillies, a completely new Code 1A
runway is presently being constructed at Ballard on Coll. Once
complete, it will be fully surfaced in bitmac and be 500m in length with
runway designation 02/20. This is roughly a 90 degree re-oreintation
from the existing grass strip that was used in the past. The works for
the runway will be completed in August with a small terminal building
being completed later in January.

At the moment I can't say exactly when the new facility will be open for
use - perhaps if you could keep in contact with Peter Jackson, Airport
Development Manager in Oban (tel:01631 570796), he will be able to
advise you further once decisions on general aviation use of the new
facility have been made.

At the moment we are working in conjunction with the Scottish
Executive/EU in developing the case for a PSO on the routes between
Oban/Coll/Colonsay and Tiree with a view to initiating scheduled flights
in the future.

Regards

Mike Moffat
Supervisory Engineer

dublinpilot
20th Jun 2006, 14:51
A man from HIAL said they were taking over the contract to run Oban in '07....?

Maybe the news isn't quite as good as it first sounds?

Posts on the Flyer forum suggests that Paul has only taken over the A/G, and not the airport. Flyer forum suggests that there has been no change in the airfield manager position?

:sad:

S205-18F
20th Jun 2006, 16:20
Oh Bu**er! Thats all we need HIAL to muck it up:mad: :{