PDA

View Full Version : Sth Africans try to 'relocate' YPJT for massive profit, yes or no. Lets hear it?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th Jun 2006, 07:54
Heard on Perth Radio 6PR today, that,
Jandakot Holdings Pty Ltd
are announcing a PLAN to move Jandakot flying operations to a 'new' site approx 20kms South of YPJT, in about 2 to 5 years or so.

According to the radio, this would release about xx hectares (Sorry, missed the quote as to the area) for HOUSING.........

'Tis a long term plan apparently, with the obvious proviso that YPJT could / would not be closed until the new airport was operational, then it would be closed and redeveloped....

How would this move affect the present operators, flight schools, maintenance organisations, with all of their infrastructure - hangars, etc - and proximity to Perth customers - especially the 'North of The River' customer base, - I wonder?

Not to mention our overseas friends with their very substantial accommodation buildings etc?

The RFDS ops with their proximity to Perth hospitals? (Medical implications?)

And, bearing in mind that both Serpentine and Murray Field happen to reside in the same approximate location, how would Circuit Area traffic congestion and Training Area congestion from all three G/A airports in close proximity, be managed?

New GAAP Control Zone / s?? Do Serpentine and / or Murray Field WANT to be governed by GAAP?

With the Airport Local Ownership Plan idea which was the instrument for the 'selling off' of our airports around the country, was it not a condition that the airports would remain airports??

Is there a 'Community Service' Obligation here?

Can someone who may be 'in the know' please elaborate on any of the above??

I am amazed.....:ugh: :(

chimbu warrior
15th Jun 2006, 08:22
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Seem to remember that the move from Maylands to Jandakot was to solve all those "problems".

Gaunty............

Andy_RR
15th Jun 2006, 08:46
How does this tie in with the proposed (approved?) 12/30 parallel runway?

It seems it will be either wasted investment or else a big change of plan.

Anyway, I thought that the land for YPJT was leasehold? The fifty year lease from 1963 runs out in 2013. Maybe the freeholders are jacking up the price of the 49 year option on the leasehold? Could be a manouvre to call their bluff?

T'would be a sad thing to see happen, if it does.

A

gaunty
15th Jun 2006, 09:07
Over mine and few dozen other bodies UNLESS the new one is clearly superior AND totally financed from the old one AND cheaper ground rent AND free replacement of exisitng infrastucture as a non negotiable starting point etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.:mad: :mad: :mad:

The new freeway and rail system is actually very good and the ETI for the new one is probably not much different for the new with maybe better access. Just forget about anyone in the Northern suburbs being able to fly.

AND

ANY profit from the redevelopment must be used in the new one and the balance put into a fund for the future of aviation in Perth.

The airport used to belong to us. Any profit therefore belongs to us.:=

It is outrageous the development value of the land is waaaaaaaaaaaay higher than what they paid for it and it stays as an airport as in the original agreement or they hand over the loot less their reasonable costs.

The old switcheroo.:{

triadic
15th Jun 2006, 09:51
I was lead to believe that the land at JT is not suitable for housing due to the water table or somesuch ???

Pass-A-Frozo
15th Jun 2006, 10:15
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/22566YZJUl/891833.jpg

gaunty
15th Jun 2006, 10:15
triadic mate and thats only the beginning of it.:mad: :mad:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th Jun 2006, 10:32
Gaunty,
Better get to more of those brekkies.....methinks you may have been served
m u s h r o o m s....
On tonight's CH7, they suggest near Keysbrook as a likely site.....
Smack bang between Serpentine and Murray Field!
GAAP??
Oh, and when I used to instruct from JT back in those 'good ole days', one early slightly foggy morning, I am sure I saw what could have been a .....WAGGYL....
slithering across the grass between the rwys......
:ugh: :(

Charlie Foxtrot India
15th Jun 2006, 12:46
Interesting as a tenant to also find out about this on 6PR.
So I rang the airport managment office to find out if some journo had got it wrong.
I was told by the lady who answered the phone "yes it's true but it won't be happenning in the next five minutes or anything"
So I asked to speak to the boss who was out, but who called me back later to confirm it and give all the speil about how much better it would be etc etc etc........
and then recieved this by email which was pretty much what he had said on the phone.

"NOTICE TO ALL TENANTS

You will notice the article about Jandakot Airport in today's edition of The Australian. The article is about the possible relocation of Jandakot Airport further south from its current location, which is an idea we have recently been discussing with Federal and State authorities, to support general aviation in Western Australia.

We realise one of the biggest issues facing the industry these days is the cost of operating. Some of these operational costs can be reduced if the airport can be reloacted. Rents will be lower and the costs associated with delays will be eliminated. Other benefits are brand new buildings for all tenants in configurations to suit you requirements, new runways, taxiways and services all designed to suit operational needs. We also propose to build a world class aviation university on the site for training in all aspects of the aviation industry, mechanical, electrical, operational, flight training etc.

We believe that the relocation of Jandakot Airport is a unique opportunity which will significantly improve the safetry and operational efficiency of general aviation in Western Australia. We will also be able to increase the capacity over time by producing up to six runways.

Apart from resultinig in significant economic benefits to the Australian economy, this will provide for the subsidising of general aviation in Western Australia, thereby securing its future.

We are at a very early stage of developing our ideas and it will take years to research, plan for and possibly get approval for the relocation of the airport and we will keep you informed of our progress. In the interim we continue to support general aviation at Jandakot Airport.

John Fraser
Managing Director"

!!!!!

I would love to see some of his figures used to calculate that
"Some of these operational costs can be reduced if the airport can be reloacted. Rents will be lower and the costs associated with delays will be eliminated."

:confused: :confused: :confused:

By the time , "years to research, plan for and possibly get approval for the relocation of the airport" every inch of land between Perth and Mandurah will probably be covered in little suburban houses!

A few people saw this coming, but it would have been nice not to find out on the radio news.

gaunty
15th Jun 2006, 12:51
PAF

So where is the Dickspace on the chart.:p

Seriously, the proximity to YPPH and the approach basket for R03 arrivals infringing what was YPJT airspace means we often have to wait for yonks to get an IFR or any northbound clearance outa there.

Its getting better with the blue suiters now having consoles right next to the Airservices guys so they can coordinate arrivals and departures from/to the North throught the Mil airspace.

But its the old story, every body wants priority and nobody wants to to be the one to have to wait or make any concessions.

Greg Russell and the boys inc DOTARS and CASA are coming over next week for a wongi followed by a corroboree.

They geniunely are in listening mode, so far it is Dick free and will remain so if he is smart.

GRIFFO nah mate JAH are smoking something rare. The Minister and his advisers recently read them the riot act.

Maybe they are trying to bluff their way, they're Seth Efricans so they probably think we are stupid like they are.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
15th Jun 2006, 13:09
Onya Gaunty.....

In the words of the Prophet............

"Illigitimus Non Carborundum"

And Allanah is my hero too :ok:

Woomera
15th Jun 2006, 13:11
It is not often that PPRuNe take up the cudgels on any issue.
But this is one of them.
Mr Fraser who floats the idea with his "trying hard to be innocuous" little spiel to see who does or does not salute it, should understand it is not even an original idea and it is not negotiable.
Whatever they are paying whoever is advising them internally or whoever they have hired, is clearly way too much.
They need to be told simply, clearly, concisely and in words of ONE syllable and with a sjamboek held in clear view, that we are not stupid and we do not take kindly at all to patronising BS.
If any PPRuNers have a different view then they should be confident that they are entitled to submit them here without any fear. We will only intervene if the rules are broken.
So lets hear them.
BTW, this is breathtakingly arrogant, which is entirely in character, because under the Commonwealth Act that governms their lease they do NOT have the power to move anything anywhere and certainly not without the approval and cooperation of ther State Government.

poteroo
15th Jun 2006, 13:14
Serpentine-Jarrahdale Shire are reputedly not aviation friendly - there have been several airstrip proposals knocked back.

There are more horses than ratepayers out there, and it seems they effectively run the Council

happy days,

Andy_RR
15th Jun 2006, 13:22
DPI website says: (http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/aviation/1348.asp)

Situated about 12 kilometres south of Perth's CBD, Jandakot Airport is Western Australia's major General Aviation (GA) airport and one of the busiest GA airports in the southern hemisphere. The State Government recognises Jandakot is a vital piece of infrastructure which cannot be relocated.

(my bold and italics)
A

Awol57
15th Jun 2006, 15:39
We had a brief from our boss at work today at around about 0830 local (which I missed) but he said they seem pretty keen on the idea, and the new location was somewhere within the YMUL circuit area (which excited the boss no end).

I caught on the CH10 news that the airport may not be relocated without State and Federal govt approval. Allanah McTiernan also said that they were not at this stage excited about the prospect with problems being caused then for anyone living NoR.

Interesting times. Given our building was in the way of one of the proposed new runways, maybe they thought bugger it, we can start from scratch with this one :ugh: :rolleyes:

Chimbu chuckles
15th Jun 2006, 16:25
All the Yarpy spivs I have met, and I admit I have not met all of them, were guilty of not thinking things through to a logical, or legal, conclusion...seems these fall into the same category.

Boss Yarpy: "Hey we can sell the land here to developers for X and lease a bigger block down here for 10% of X."

Govt: "You wanna do what with that leased airport land?":=

Council at proposed site: "Yeah and you can get stuffed":mad:

Oz airport resident: "You're an idiot!":ugh:

I think the reason is they are used to getting their own way with the 'help':}

I am not suggesting all Yarps are spivs.:ok:

Taildragger67
15th Jun 2006, 17:37
"Mr Fraser" needs a spelling (or at least a typing) lesson.

Why can't these people at least run it through a spell-checker??!! It's made so EASY for them!

Sunfish
15th Jun 2006, 22:37
With great respect fellow Oz ppruners, I strongly suggest that you engage with this proposal constructively and analyse it in detail instead of reaching for the shotgun and declaring war.

Start with a positive open mind and analyse the pro's and con's from an operational, practical, business and financial viewpoint. If, at the end of the process, there is a consensus that this is not a good idea, then at least you will have done your homework and have some well thought out foundations for your opposition.

On the other hand, if the conditions were right who knows? I say this knowing bugger all about Jandakot or running an aviation business.

With reference to the question of "Ownership", "Promises", "Leases", "Rights", "Contracts", "a man's home is his castle etc. etc." I respectfully suggest that these mean SFA in the context of a major development as they can all be made to go away by suitable legislation and a liberal amount of compensation money, thats how freeways get built.

To put it another way, if State and Federal Governments decide that closing Jandakot is a good thing for the community, then it is going to happen.

I suspect that a lot of planning has already gone into this idea unless the MD is a complete idiot. I would assume both State and Federal politicians have been sounded out and the project costed. I don't think that off airport businesses are going to care too much if their property values improve as a result of closure. I guess the question for an on airport business is what the compensation is going to be for the disruption and inconvenience of moving.

As for the RFDS, etc. that is for them to figure out in negotiations.

gaunty
16th Jun 2006, 02:00
Sunfish

I strongly suggest that you engage with this proposal constructively and analyse it in detail instead of reaching for the shotgun and declaring war.

I can not say to you strongly enough that the process to which you refer has been performed ad nausea, in spades yet.

I suspect that a lot of planning has already gone into this idea unless the MD is a complete idiot. I would assume both State and Federal politicians have been sounded out and the project costed.

See Chimbus comments.
Their actions and responses ? from the initial announcement going forward have been at the very least arrogant and at the best show total ignorance of the civilised processes that work in our civilised society.
See Chimbus comments again.
I can assure you there has **** all consultation with the tenants or their representative group neither has there been to my knowledge any change in Fed or State Govt legislation or attitude.

The simple facts are that it will require an Act of Federal Parliament to change the nature of the lease agreement AND some debate over to whom if any the freehold will be granted. In any event the proceeds of the sale of the freehold would have to back to the Feds NOT JAH.
Further were there to be a sale of Commonwealth freehold assets there is a process required by legislation that would have to open the game to competition from others.
I'd love to see the game of Twister that has the Feds trying to justify the gift of the land to JAH especially since it is a condition of the lease and they made it unequivocally clear to them at the outset that the land was to be used as an airport, period.

Ownership of a lease regardless of what you may have paid for it does not in and of itself confer freehold ownership rights or an automatic entitlement to them.

As for the Govt any Govt riding roughshod over the prols hand in hand with some developers, they might find what may have worked in the past does not necessarily now.

We've had this fight before and we'll do it again if we have to.:{

Pinky the pilot
16th Jun 2006, 02:29
and with a sjamboek held in clear view
Woomera; I suspect a 375 Holland and Holland held in clear view would have more effect:E :D

Whilst reading this thread a chill went down my spine and it was'nt the weather. I wonder how long it will be before authorities in other states try to pull the same stunts? A cynical view perhaps but....

Jim Dean
16th Jun 2006, 03:00
I hear what you're saying Sunfish and you'd have thought they were clever enough to have consulted the govt first, but it seems not. This morning the WA planning and environment minister is quoted as saying she hasn't been consulted and she is surprised that as a study has just been released showing the airport, with it's planned changes, is capable of absorbing the growth over the next 20 years it is surprising that a new owner, with a recognised background in property development, now finds that to no longer be the case! The planned industrial development around the airport is large already and I'm sure they are going to make a mint out of it. I don't have any gripe with that, but their current attitude stinks.

rog002
16th Jun 2006, 03:12
I quote directly from the 2006 Master Plan, which can be found here http://www.jandakotairport.com.au/Final%20MP%20%202006%20-.pdf

This Master Plan (MP) is a review of the approved
2000 Jandakot Airport Master Plan and has been
prepared by JAH accordance with Part 5 Division 3
of the Airports Act 1996. The 2000 Master Plan was
approved by the Minister for Transport and Regional
Services on the 24th October 2000.
This review retains the primary concepts of the 2000
Master Plan while incorporating various updates.
The most significant variation is the provision of a
fourth parallel 12/30 touch and go runway. The
additional runway will not greatly increase annual
capacity, rather it will improve safety and efficiency
on days when the crosswinds on the 06/24
runways exceed 12 knots forcing operations on
to the existing 12/30 single runway.
The 476,000 aircraft movements forecast for the
next 20 years determined the 2025 Airport
Development Plan. (refer to Figure ES.1) The
Master Plan recognises that it will be necessary
to construct a fourth runway within the next 5
years to cater for an expected increase of
student pilot training due to a global shortage of
airline pilots. The development of aviation
support facilities, aprons, airport access and
commercial sectors will also occur over the 20
year planning period.
The Master Plan (MP) provides a framework
within which the airport‘s future development can
take place. It provides a plan for the airport for
the next 20 years taking into account associated
land use, environmental, ground access and
engineering service issues.

Forecast Growth

Existing statistics show that for the 2003
calendar year, Jandakot Airport conducted
324,308 aircraft movements. Forecasts for the
Master plan indicate by the year 2025 the total
annual aircraft movements conducted at
Jandakot Airport is expected to be 476,000.
Since Jandakot Airport is capable of handling
about 514,650 aircraft movements per year, the
annual aircraft movements are not expected to
exceed the current airport’s capacity within the
20-year planning horizon.

Seems to me that building a new parallel runway would be a lot cheaper than building a new airport!!!

This proposal to move the airport doesn't sound to me like the actions of an owner who has the interests of GA aviation as a priority.

jandakotpilot
16th Jun 2006, 03:39
Singapore FC anc China Southern help us all out with cheaper fees because of the income they bring.

Will they be happy to move? SFC just finished building a new accomodation block. I know they were thinking of packing up a few years back.
Imagine is CSWAFC packed up too, prices at the new airport will soar with the greedy South Africans at the helm, and nobody using their shiney new airport in the sticks! Say goodbye to the flight training market as we know it!

I already drive 35km one way, I wont make it 55km everyday.

We all have to stick together to save GA in W.A.!!

Charlie Foxtrot India
16th Jun 2006, 03:42
What would the scrap metal value of the shiny new fence be?!

Also I very much doubt that these people will be looking more than five years ahead. They want to make a big pile of money, then sell it all off to the next sucker. ie, shut down Jandakot, get the money for housing and run.

Even though legally they can't do that it seems they are not going to let that stop them. Maybe this kind of thing works in their old country. Let's hope that no pollies are going to sink to their level and let this happen.

jandakotpilot
16th Jun 2006, 03:48
Im sure DOTARS have a return policy!

the wizard of auz
16th Jun 2006, 04:08
unless the MD is a complete idiot.

BINGO :) therin lies the problem methinks.

gaunty
16th Jun 2006, 05:26
CFI

Whatever chance they may have had they just shot themselves in both feet big time with the Feds, State and the tenants.

They should take the pen and microphone off Mr Fraser and lock him in the broom cupboard with a years supply of MRE until he promises to play nice and see if they can find someone who knows how it actually works in this country.

They need to understand that just because a Minister tells them "I'll look at your proposal", doesn't mean they are on the way, it means precisely what he says "I'll look at your proposal",

Under the Australian form of Govt, Ministers are obliged to look at ANY proposal presented by ANY constituent, action beyond that will depend on its merit and how properly and widely they have consulted. You cant just do it by good old boys club, fiat or press release.

I have it on impeccable authourity that it just aint gunna happen. ;)

And certainly not in our lifetimes and not without a very very large amount of work and the willing cooperation of ALL of the stakeholders and parties.

The land is gazetted, zoned legislated or whatever for airport/aviation use, end of story as far as the Feds and the Act is concerned.:D

They just dont get it, it is simply NOT in their power to relocate anyone nor do they have the freehold of the airport with which to negotiate.:ugh:

There IS NO POT OF GOLD for them in any proposed redevelopment by them or ANYONE without Federal or State legislation. Were there to be so, they would get fair compensation for the lease purposes and like everybody else would have to line up to bid for the land if ever it is released.:rolleyes:

Well let's stampede the horses and frighten the tenants into submission, yeah right.:ugh:

twenty eight
16th Jun 2006, 06:09
Airport relocation could compromise patient safety: RFDS
ABC news (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200606/s1664624.htm)

Chimbu chuckles
16th Jun 2006, 06:22
I think the FIP light is glowing red hot at JAH/Ascot Capital.:hmm:

That is the FECKup IN PROGRESS light:} :E

Might be nice for the current stakeholders to make the Yarpies an offer the can't refuse and buy the whole shebang...when they accept their plans have fallen on sandy ground and the pot of gold was illusory.:E

Andy_RR
16th Jun 2006, 07:01
nice quote! :}

The Planning and Infrastructure, Minister Alannah MacTiernan, says she suspects the proposal is more about property development than improving air services and is concerned groups like the Royal Flying Doctor Service will be disadvantaged.

Charlie Foxtrot India
16th Jun 2006, 07:02
"Yah", JF has managed in one fell swoop to alienate his tenants and lose any credibility he may have had.

Presumably if this redevelopment was possible, the last mob would have done it, rather than sell it on to the current guys.

gaunty
16th Jun 2006, 07:20
Yeah its the old Aussie "do you wanna buy the Sydney Harbour Bridge" routine,......boom boom.......hook line and sinker.:rolleyes:

Ndicho Moja
16th Jun 2006, 09:24
Why bother with an H&H 375? A 458 is better and if you are fortunate enough to have an H&H 500, so much the better.:)

Pass-A-Frozo
16th Jun 2006, 17:34
Hey WOOMERA. Did a user post the "For massive profit" or did you edit it to that title? I'm just curious where the "Massive" profit thing came in.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Jun 2006, 02:59
G'day PAF,

I do believe that my original heading was simply
'YPJT To Relocate??'

I was not aware of the SA 'Connection', but certainly was aware of the motive...which is / was painfully obvious?????????

'Woomera' - thanks for the 'sticky' anyway.........The subject matter certainly IS a 'contentious' issue - and a bloody arrogant one as well!!!!!!!!!!

For those users not living in Perth - The local Real Estate values here in Perth and surrounding districts are escalating at an alarming rate, and subsequently, affordable land for the average family is fast becoming a dream of the past.......600 + hectares in the Jandakot area would divide up into many homesites at - dare I say it - a truly 'massive' profit - but 'dems not my words'....
:ok: :ok:

Woomera
17th Jun 2006, 03:27
PAF

Now that you ask, I honestly can not recall whether it was in the original thread title or not.

I edited the title, as we do from time to time, to more accurately reflect the context of the thread content and to pose the question. We do these things on the fly and do not keep copies.

If you are suggesting that it is emotive and results from our editorial support for the debate then fair comment and so be it.

And yes, were in the extremely improbable event they were able to pull it off, there would be massive profits, the unspoken coda being, "directly at the expense of the GA business".

This is publicly owned land reserved for the benefit of the public and use of the aviation industry, under the stewardship and management for this purpose of a private organisation. It is that simple.

I am told from, it seems the unanimous viewpoint of the tenants, this organisations behaviour has been so far less than user friendly.
I also have it on impeccable authority the organisation have been told by the powers that be that until they consult fully (in this case apparently none at all) with their tenants and get a broad consensus on the way forward there will not be any further progress beyond the "idea".
It was also pointed out to me that in any event the land is owned by the Commonwealth, the leasehold does not confer any other rights than those contained in the lease, which does not in and of itself include the ability to change the land use.

The form of language contained in the "NOTICE TO ALL TENANTS" is in itself very revealing especially given that it was apparently prised from them as a result of the tenants hearing about the "plan for their future" by media.

We are all concerned for the future of GA in Australia and the pressure applied by landlords with real estate agendas on the secondary airports which are the nurseries of the business.

Jandakot Airport tenants are some of the more succesful and best examples of GA growth in Australia, and we say that in purely relative terms,:rolleyes: .

They are like all GA airport tenants, in our opinion, a resource to be nurtured, and cherished.

The Government as policy made it very clear in the leasehold sale documentation that these airports are not future shopping malls or real estate development.

Lets stay focussed here.

A question that really should be asked here is where is the national organisation of airport tenants or an organisation that will pick them up that can present a coherent force.
Complaining here might make you feel better but it wont change anything.

PPRuNe cannot be that, other than to provide the means of discussion between ALL of the parties.:D

JAH, BAL and so on are all welcome here and it might be a useful way of breaking down the divide.:ok:

Chimbu chuckles
17th Jun 2006, 03:38
Youse Woomeras would have your work cut out for you if our Yarpie mate comes on here...or the boss of BAL.:}

Charlie Foxtrot India
17th Jun 2006, 05:54
As for the number of homesites..speaking as one who lives on the Jandakot Water Mound, as is the Airport, and living with all the accompanying environmental restrictions, it seems likely to me that it would be zoned "special rural" ie one house every two hectares.

When I called the Airport Managment office after listening to the news at 11 am, I was told "JF will be drafting up something for the tenants later"

The "notice to tenants" was eventually sent out at 2.34 pm.

gaunty
17th Jun 2006, 06:44
CFI

Sounds like the tenants are right up there on their list of priorities, the tenants do after all pay their bills. Contemptuous is a word that comes to mind.

Jandakot water mound is only the half of it.

If you have been part of the land development business and the Perth Community for more than the last few years you would understand that there are very rational and well thought principles and policy behind why and which parts of the metro area were/are put aside for what purpose.

A quick look at the Stepenson Plan is a good start for newbies.

Roe Highway was first proposed in 1955 by Gordon Stephenson as part of what was to become the Metropolitan Region Planning Scheme. It is named in honour of John Septimus Roe, first Surveyor General of Western Australia.

Perth planners have had a unique opportunity to do a clean sheet development plan for Perth almost since day 1 and the Metropolitan Region Planning Scheme or whatever it is now called, is still pretty much ground zero for everything that has or will subsequently happen.
There are of course some variations along the way but the basic concept is still the backbone of the plan for Perth and environs.

In the long ago I used to have a copy which was huge A2 folio book. Must go see if I can find the current iteration.

Here's a start http://www.wapc.wa.gov.au/default.aspx

I'll find the original 1950/60 's document soon.

yowie
17th Jun 2006, 12:51
Just to diverge a little,what would be the cost of installing an ILS at a secondary,suitable airport be so that the guys attempting to get an ILS into PH arent shoved and held all over the shop,costing shet loads to the customer for no training advantage.
GinGin maybe?

Awol57
17th Jun 2006, 16:35
The RAAF already have a remote one north of GinGin....

doobedoo
18th Jun 2006, 07:15
We only just got through the worst of the roadworks into JT! Now they want to move the entire thing elsewhere, Keysbrook of all places. Serpentine and Murrayfield are close together as it is but shoving a YPJT GAAP sized thing would ensure that one of them is no longer. North of the river folk obviously just don't fly- or won't if the move occurs I'm sure! :hmm: ECU is moving all of it's Aviation units to Joondalup as of next year, I pity the poor buggers if Jandakot moves in the opposite direction....

Icarus2001
19th Jun 2006, 07:46
Issue 1.
I challenge anyone to find a suitably sized parcel of land between Perth and Pinjarra that could accomodate a relocated airport of the size and complexity of Jandakot. If you find one even close to size, look at what adjoins it.

Issue 2.
JAH lease the airport, they do not own it. Imagine telling your landlord that you were planning to relocate the house that you rent from him/her.

Issue 3.
The major infrastructure that had been built by operators at Jandakot will ned to be duplicated, at whose cost? The magic word...c o m p e n s a t i o n.

Issue 4.
Massive and I mean massive public pressure.

Tell 'em they're dreamin.:rolleyes:

Towering Q
19th Jun 2006, 08:00
I heard from a reliable source that they wanted to bulldoze the chalets and surrounding nature park. Apparently the Bandicoots and CALM have thrown a spanner in the works.:D

Tossers!:yuk:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
21st Jun 2006, 02:21
G'day Gaunty, CFI, and all JT tenants......

It has all gone 'quiet' after the initial burst.

Anything further from the lease holders??

Are we still confident in our future business planning to remain 'as is / where is', for the foreseeable future, or are further plans - any increases in rent, parking fees, etc., still to be announced, do you think??

How is the 'consultation' process going??

Anybody 'in the know?'

Genuine enquiry - all 'goss' will be 'thought about'...

Cheers:ok:

Charlie Foxtrot India
21st Jun 2006, 03:06
Well, the airport manager resigned yesterday....whatever that means for the future.

YPJT
29th Jun 2006, 12:29
29 JUNE 2006

NOTICE TO ALL TENANTS

Following the change of ownership and management of Jandakot Airport earlier this year, an extensive study was initiated to establish a strategy for it's (sic) future development.

When Jandakot Airport was first established its location was well outside Perth's city area, and its aircraft movements did not clash with activity from Perth's main airport. Today the picture has changed dramatically with Perth's population now at 1.5 million and increasing robustly each year.

In line with this, the city's suburbs have grown and Perth's International flight activities have multiplied as have those at Jandakot so that they now intrude on each other.

Prima Facia, and from the input thus far recieved, there seems to be an overwhelming case for moving the airport to a more suitable location outside of the city.

The primary reasons motivating moving the airport revolve around the following factors

1) The airport is now in the midst of a densely populated residential area and moving the airport out of the city would be widely welcomed by residents.

2) The flight activity at both Perth and Jandakot airports has increased to the point where it is technically desirable to close the present Jandakot Airport and construct a new airport further away from Perth International.

3. Capital expenditure that is now needed for the efficient functioning and future growth of the airport will if spent, be wasted when the airport is forced to relocate which sooner or later is inevitable.

4. Should Jandakot Airport be moved to a new site, the value of the land released to meet growing demand will, if developed, generate the funds required to construct a modern new airport facility without needing Federal or State government assisstance.

It is thus propsed that a new airport be developed about forty kilometers south of Jandakot which would provide expanded capacity, improved facilites and favourable lease terms for all Jandakot tenants and flying schools.

In consequence, JAH management is in the process of consulting with interested parties on how this can be achieved with minimal disruption and wishes to have an opportunity to discuss this initiatiatve with you.

I will be contacting you and hope to see you soon.

Regards
JOHN FRASER

:uhoh: :confused: :yuk: :yuk:

Hmm, I didn't realise there had been a change of ownership of Jandakot Airport, as far as I am aware it still belongs to the Commonwealth?

Will this "extensive study" be made available? How does it negate the Master Plan??

Would love to see their facts and figures!

"The primary reasons motivating moving the airport" are lots of these $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Anyway, thanks for letting us know, John, even if "flying schools" don't count as tenants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:* Better than hearing it on the news like last time.

Clare Prop
29th Jun 2006, 12:40
Rumour is the airport manager found out about her resignation like the rest of us, via a mass email from her boss - while she was on sick leave. Allegedly. :ouch:

Pass-A-Frozo
29th Jun 2006, 13:34
Well it begs the question. If it is so viable. Why doesn't the company buy the runway further down south, build some hangers and compete against Jandakot? I don't think anyone would disagree with that?

Of course I already know the answer... I'm just biased being a Perth boy :D

Ex FSO GRIFFO
29th Jun 2006, 13:52
Dear John Fraser,

Please note:

As far as I and many others are aware, you or your company

DO NOT OWN THE LAND AT YPJT!!!

Therefore, as far as I am aware,

YOU cannot 'sell' the land, rezone it, and 'convert' it to housing lots.......:=

If the above is NOT correct, then would someone kindly enlighten me.

Thankyou.:ugh:

Led Zep
29th Jun 2006, 14:25
3. Capital expenditure that is now needed for the efficient functioning and future growth of the airport will if spent, be wasted when the airport is forced to relocate which sooner or later is inevitable.

4. Should Jandakot Airport be moved to a new site, the value of the land released to meet growing demand will, if developed, generate the funds required to construct a modern new airport facility without needing Federal or State government assisstance.

It is thus propsed that a new airport be developed about forty kilometers south of Jandakot which would provide expanded capacity, improved facilites and favourable lease terms for all Jandakot tenants and flying schools.

Why is a move inevitable? All those houses popping up around JT? Crikey, WAC must be considering a new spot for YPPH then with all those new foothills suburbs popping up. :rolleyes: If JAH isn't careful, WAC might nick the land they have their eye on.

You can't "release" the land because you don't own it!!

Forty clicks South? :eek: That would mean ~70km to drive there everyday, 140km round trip. Get stuffed! I would truly hate to live up in the Northern Suburbs, or to be a uni student travelling from lectures at Joondalup down to the airport for a flight after class, you'd need a night rating prior to first solo.

Pass-A-Frozo
29th Jun 2006, 14:39
Serves them right for being northern suburbs losers :p

Pearce has a flying club still doesn't it?? Go north young man.

YPJT
29th Jun 2006, 16:17
Pearce has a flying club still doesn't it?? Go north young man.
Not any more PAF! They were kicked out of YPEA a few years back. Something to do with a young guy in the club and a few indiscretions with a camera along the flight line. Same guy now I believe flying FA-18s :ok: Onya son.
They moved to YGIG for a while but I think died a slow and natural death. Shame really, in it's days at Pearce it was great. The whole of the base to yourself. Although taxiing to 08 was a bugger!
Now back to Mr Fraser's letter:
1) The airport is now in the midst of a densely populated residential area and moving the airport out of the city would be widely welcomed by residents.
So what! They bought land (cheaply at the time) in an area zoned as affected by aircraft noise.
2) The flight activity at both Perth and Jandakot airports has increased to the point where it is technically desirable to close the present Jandakot Airport and construct a new airport further away from Perth International.
Oh really? Says who? Are you a pilot? Is your information base on any practical experience as a pilot flying into or out of Jandakot?
Information that we have sport is that under the terms of your lease you are required to effect capital expenditure as required to keep Jandakot as a functional GA airfield.
4. Should Jandakot Airport be moved to a new site, the value of the land released to meet growing demand will, if developed, generate the funds required to construct a modern new airport facility without needing Federal or State government assisstance
Don't you think you would be better off telling maybe the federal government that you intend selling THEIR land.

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Led Zep
30th Jun 2006, 08:16
Serves them right for being northern suburbs losers :p

Well, yeah. :E

The only problems I've had is when I file an IFR plan just before I depart and 03 is active...so I've got to sit at the holding point for 5 minutes. Can hardly blame that on the airports/airspace. Or can I? :}

YPJT
5th Jul 2006, 17:19
Rumour has it ;) that a certain very senior person from RFDS sent a scathing email to our mate JF yesterday.

JF could not be contacted for comment.

Hard to speak when you've been knocked for six! (or to simplify, been rumbled for your real motives)

rog002
6th Jul 2006, 04:34
Will this "extensive study" be made available? How does it negate the Master Plan??
I too would love to see this so called "study", should be interesting to see what's changed so dramatically (apart from the price of a block of land!!) since the master plan was released.

Keep up the good work of updating us YPJT.