PDA

View Full Version : PPL Starter

Michael Jeffs
14th Jun 2006, 22:46
Hello,
I have just signed up with a local flying school for my PPL. Membership, 5 hours and Air Pilots Manual (vol 1) etc etc.

This may seem sad to some of you! but....
Having just spent a week abroad on holiday, I took my "Air Pilots Manual (vol 1)" with me and spent the whole week with my nose in it. I managed to read most of the manual.
I have spent the past 5 years or so flying on Flight Simulator.
Since returning from holiday, I have been going through the "Check List" I was given as part of my package. Now, I noticed some of the items mentioned in the check list are quite accurate i.e. When checking the Mags from 1 - 2, there will be a drop in rpm of approx 125rpm. This actually happens on the FS.
Other things I read about and have checked against FS seem true enough.
My questions are:
1: Should I mention to my instructor the above?
2: Will he think I am a sad git if I do?
3: Is Flight Simulator an aid to learning or is it unrealistic?
I won't be offended by any of your replies and I would appreciate your honesty.
FYI, My first lesson is 23/6
One more question... I have just bought a David Clarke headset! Was that a waste of money? Bearing in mind, I will complete the course.
Thanks for reading
Mike (zero hours!)

DC-8
15th Jun 2006, 00:10
2: Will he think I am a sad git if I do?
Mike (zero hours!)

For sure he won't! Actually he'll see you have a lot of interest! :ok:

From my point of view you shouldn't forget FS is not a simulator, is just a game (not everything is 100% real). However I think is really good for IR training. So if you latter want to get the IR I strongly recommend it.

I also recommend you IVAO. It's very useful to get fluency in phraseology and you'll enjoy it for sure!

Study hard and you'll become a very good aviator!

Enjoy your flights!

DC-8

foxmoth
15th Jun 2006, 06:19
Also remember there will be differences when you get on a real aircraft - the sim will always give a 125 mag drop, the aircraft might have 100 on one side and 120 on the other, or if you are unlucky 200 on one side.:mad:

rmcdonal
15th Jun 2006, 06:36
There is a problem that is often associated with FS users. It’s to do with where your eyes go when you’re flying. In FS you well find you fly the aircraft on instruments everywhere, in the real thing you HAVE to look outside. Basic flight should be easy for you but it is very important you do as much of the flying as you can with reference to the outside world.

99.9999% of the time the thing that’s going to kill you in an aircraft is outside the windscreen coming through it.

As for the headset, if you’re really keen on flying then it is a good investment, are you going through to CPL?

Good luck with the flying, students who put in the effort, read ahead, think about their flying are the ones who get through the fastest, cheapest, and generally become the better pilots.
:ok: :ok:

Whirlybird
15th Jun 2006, 09:09
In my experience, flight sim users have one problem - they tend to fixate on the instruments rather than looking outside. Other than that they're absolutely wonderful; they're keen, they know about flying, they understand lots before they start. :ok:

So mention it to your instructor, so that he/she realises you'll probably know quite a bit, but he can constantly remind you to look outside if necessary.

Have fun!

mazzy1026
15th Jun 2006, 10:31
Hi Michael - I used to be exactly the same with regards to flight sim (never off the damn thing!) but as soon as I got about 2 or 3 hours training in, I started to realise it's weaknesses - it doesn't really portray the real world of flying. Ok, the principles are there (move the stick left, aircraft rolls left) but you just cannot compare it, and for this reason alone I found that I have not even been on flight sim for about a year now.

However, when I was learning to use VOR it was very useful, as you will see later on in the course.

Best of luck,

Maz :ok:

P.s - IR = Instrument rating and CPL = commercial pilot's license! I know how horrible the abbreviations are when you start out!

Mad Girl
15th Jun 2006, 12:28
If it's any consolation....

I had a weeks holiday in May (UK) and took CAP 413 and the Thom telephony manual, the aircraft technical book AND my work laptop with FS2004 loaded.

Had to come home for 1 day for personal reasons so I popped into the flying club and sat - and passed - aircraft technical. Had lunch at the club, did what I had to do and went back on holiday.

It happens to us all - welcome to the club!!! :D

Michael Jeffs
15th Jun 2006, 20:29
Hello all

Thank you for your replies.

I appreciate and take on board what you say about FS.

I am sure your comments will be usefull to me. I just can't wait to get up in the air.

A friend of mine is a FO with BA (B777) and he was ecstatic when I told him I was starting my PPL. He said some of the best parts for him were

First TO and landing

First solo

First cross country solo, not to mention gaining his PPL!

As to whether I will carry on to CPL, I really am not sure. Flying is somethig I have wanted for so many years. I will definately take it further than PPL but let's just see how the money goes.

Anyway, once again, thanks for your guidence. Roll on 23/6

Regards
Mike (Zero hours)

Eddie_Crane
15th Jun 2006, 20:39
some of the best parts [...]
First solo

couldn't agree more.
I went solo couple days of ago, I will NEVER forget those 10 minutes. Ever. :)

Go for it, you will love it!!!
You'll get over the "FS syndrome" in no time :)

mazzy1026
16th Jun 2006, 08:09
I bet you a fiver that as soon as you get home after your first lesson, you will go home, load up flight sim and try try and fly the area that you just did on your lesson! ;)

(i did)

Michael Jeffs
16th Jun 2006, 21:05
Hi Mazzy,

I'm sure you're right. I notice your from Liverpool, that is where I will be flying from.

Is thatwhere you fly from?

Regards
Mike

Cool_Hand
23rd Jun 2006, 23:22
So, how'd the first lesson go?

Michael Jeffs
24th Jun 2006, 17:42
Hi Cool Hand,

Well, what can I say. My ambition is now, one part fulfilled.

My first lesson was fantastic. I explained to my instructor, Neil, what I asked you guys about in my original thread and he was pleased that I had put some work in before my lesson. He said he felt I was serious and had come somewhat prepared. (Even asking some questions about yaw and the effects of increasing and decreasing power settings etc)

What did suprise me though was the fact he let me taxi (steering only) from the apron onto the runway. He then applied the power and let me take off.

After 45 mins in the air going through some basics, we headed back where he landed the aircraft and then let me taxi (fully this time) back to the parking area.

Now... I don't know if this is the norm for a first lesson, and it may well be, or if he just had the confidence in me from the begining.

Anyway, what an incredible guy, totally enthusiastic and professional. He was a total credit to you instructors out there.

If anyone in the Liverpool or surrounding area is thinking of starting, I can whole heartedly recommend Neil.

After going through the check lists with him, he has told me that from my next lesson onwards, I will be doing all the aircraft checks whilst he watches over me.

Well, I am in danger of starting another "My PPL" or "one to 45" here so I wont go on.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards
Mike (1hour)

maggioneato
10th Jul 2006, 16:23
Mike, you have a good one there in Neil. Stick with him, you will do well, and it will be great fun. Enjoy yourself. :ok:

cessna l plate
10th Jul 2006, 17:12
Neil is a top instructor and a great guy, you have a good one there !!!

Here'a a good tip for you. When sitting around waiting for your lesson, listen to the guys talking, some of them have been at it for years and have some good tales to tell. Remember, learn from the mistakes of others, you wont live long enough to make them all yourself!!

As for FS2004. I agree with all the previous comments. The problem is that it makes you use instruments more, we are generally flying under visual rules, and they are called visual for a reason. The scenery isn't that good unless you get an add-on. The main problem is that it is just a game, not a real sim. You don't get any feedback, so where you might get a feel for what goes where, the seat of your pants don't tell you a thing. Some of the speeds are a little out, and try and get the 172 to stall. Yes it will stall, but nicely, no wing drops on it, and it will not spin at all. Whilst you might not want to spin in real life, you need to be aware of the causes so that you can prevent it, and FS cannot replacate this. SIM is also a lot harder to trim than real life.

My advice is not to compare the real thing to SIM, but compare SIM to a real plane, like I have done here. But as for flying headings and instrument reading it's not bad at all.

My personal favourite flight on SIM is the extra 300 under Runcorn Bridge!!! Just for fun you see.

NutLoose
16th Jul 2006, 20:48
Nice post guys look fwd to more :)

cessna l plate
17th Jul 2006, 15:18
Come on then Michael, have you flown again since your last post? How did it go??

Michael Jeffs
17th Jul 2006, 19:11
Oh yes, I am having a lesson each week at the moment.

I really enjoy eveything about my lessons. I now do the aircraft inspection before each lesson,pre-start up checks.. etc taxi, t/o, fly to the training area and back then land which I am pleased at after only 3 lessons.

I enjoy the way Neil pushes me each lesson. I can see that he really wants me to do well and we spend a lot of time after each lesson just chatting about flying, cars and pretty much everything. Im sure he must be wishing I would just go home, but it's hard to wind down after a good lesson.

I am sure all you other guys are good but if Carlsberge made FIs....

Thanks for your interest

Mike (3hours)

femaleWannabe
17th Jul 2006, 19:38
You're landing after only 3 hours?! :eek:

Flying Farmer
18th Jul 2006, 15:01
Whats so shocking Female Wannabe I went solo at 6.5 :}

femaleWannabe
18th Jul 2006, 15:05
I'm on 14 hours and haven't landed yet! Starting circuits next though so will have to do it then.

I guess every school is different - at mine, circuits are done at a different airfield, so I think landing is kept until then....

Or maybe I'm just really slow and stupid :(

mazzy1026
18th Jul 2006, 15:15
Mike - really sorry for the delay in getting back to you - my acocunt was frozen for ages as I didn't receive any validation email (no I wasn't banned :E )

Yes, I do fly from Liverpool (LFS - I presume you are at Ravenair/CATS?)

You seem to be doing really well in your training - always a bonus to have a good instructor. I don't know whether you followed my diary or not, but there is some good stuff in there from all of the contributors, and you may be able to relate to it more as it is at Liverpool (you will most likely fly similar routes). For what it's worth, I landed the aircraft on my second lesson (I think) and taxiing wasn't talked about, I kind of just 'did it' and got the hang of it - it all fits into place slowly!

Well, I am in danger of starting another "My PPL" or "one to 45" here so I wont go on.
Oh no - don't do that - :ok: Just kidding - I think it would be a great idea, and there are plenty of people on here who will follow you and give you sound advice - it would be good to see your progress as you go along.

You are welcome to come flying with me any time (your instructor may not approve of you flying with another PPL just yet, and I am no expert (4.5 hours total) but your welcome to come with me and practice any time) - just go with what you feel is best...

Drop me a line sometime if you wanna meet up for a beer or ten:

[email protected]

Best of luck!

Lee :ok:

Edit: FemaleW - I doub't that your stupid, but you will be suprised at how much you have taken in with regards to the landing, so when you come to 'do it' I am sure it will go smoother than you think - this is in comparison to landing the thing in your first couple of hours - you have what seems like a whole world of information/procedures to try and absorb into your brain!

Lister Noble
18th Jul 2006, 18:01
Took me 17,it's not a race;)

Flying Farmer
18th Jul 2006, 19:14
Female Wannabe

Things are slightly different to when I first learnt. I would say that most of my students went in to the circuit some time after 10 hours. The exercises we have to cover up to and including the circuit usually take that long. have no fears you will be landing with the best of them in a few hours time.

As was said its not a race and it's better to consolidate the early exercises before venturing into the circuit

femaleWannabe
18th Jul 2006, 20:53
I would say that most of my students went in to the circuit some time after 10 hours.

That's probably about the same for me then. The last couple of lessons have been a combination of stalls and doing higher up circuits using a landmark as a pretend runway. This means I've been practising everything in the circuit apart from the actual landing.. so hopefully when it comes around I can concentrate on that and not be preoccupied with everything else :}

Michael Jeffs
20th Jul 2006, 21:48
What I have actually found, is that Neil generally didn't tell me that I was going to taxi, take off or land.. he just let it happen. I suppose some of this might have been down to the fact that I mentioned to him what I asked you guys about in my opening thread. He must have had some confidence in me from the offset.

I asked him after lesson 2 about this and he explained that he already knew how to take off and land, so there wasn't much point in him doing either. I however, needed to learn, master and become confident in both so it makes more sense for me to do it.

After my last lesson, we discussed what the next lesson (which is tomorrow) will include.. that will be, turning in a climb and turning in a descent plus a brush up of last week, but as he said, I have already done much of both when climbing out and making a turn at 500ft to follow a set course to 1500ft to the training area and also turning onto final so it will be an easy lesson in which we may move onto another exercise.

I do feel that the way he tutors/mentors me, brings me along at a good pace. Don't get me wrong though, he is vey thorough and I feel very dissapointed if I make mistakes (whch I have)

Anyway, must go and sleep in readiness for my lesson tomorrow.

Many thanks

Mike (3 hours)

raviolis
21st Jul 2006, 00:04
Mik

For what it's worth, I landed the aircraft on my second lesson (I think)

I think your instructor did :p

:ok:

femaleWannabe
21st Jul 2006, 06:31
What I have actually found, is that Neil generally didn't tell me that I was going to taxi, take off or land.. he just let it happen. I suppose some of this might have been down to the fact that I mentioned to him what I asked you guys about in my opening thread. He must have had some confidence in me from the offset.

None of my instructors have pre-warned me about taxiing or taking off either. I think it works better if it's just thrown at you and you have to take control and get on with it. Obviously they talk you through it and assist where necessary.

I asked him after lesson 2 about this and he explained that he already knew how to take off and land, so there wasn't much point in him doing either. I however, needed to learn, master and become confident in both so it makes more sense for me to do it.

At my club this is usually applied to orbiting - we have to wait to land quite a bit so turning is taught just after straight and level.

Good luck with the next lesson Mike - climbing and descending turns aren't too hard :ok:

cessna l plate
21st Jul 2006, 08:14
Good luck with your lesson today. Jee this brings back memories.
What you will find as you go through the course is that things are done in a logical order. No point in being an ace at landing if you can't fly straight and level. One lesson leads onto the next very well, and as I said Neil is a very patient and good instructor.

You will find that instructors will let you make certain mistakes in the hope that you recognise them and correct it. What ultimately an examiner is looking for is not that you are an undoubted ace of the skies, but that you can fly reasonably well, and more important than that make good safe decisions in flight, and that is probably the major point.

mazzy1026
21st Jul 2006, 08:18
Thats the best way I have ever heard it put!

I think your instructor did
Your probably right :{

Good luck Mike - keep up the honours :ok:

cessna l plate
7th Aug 2006, 09:40
Michael
Not heard anything from you for a while. How's it going??