PDA

View Full Version : Sourthen France VFR maps

ACARS
14th Jun 2006, 16:27
Hello

Can anyone tell me where I can get a VFR map for sourthern france? Not sure if anyone UK company stock these? Maybe someone has an old one what they could stick in post to me (of course I would send a cheque).

Thanks

172driver
14th Jun 2006, 16:40
Here:

http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/default.htm

or at the usual suspects like Transair, etc

Mariner9
15th Jun 2006, 08:32
In addition to the chart(s), I would thoroughly recommend the French VFR pack - it contains a northern and southern France 1 mill charts, list of danger/restricted areas, active times of Military corridors etc etc. Excellent value at only 22 euros too. Can be bought online from the SIA website - delivery was about a week.

IO540
15th Jun 2006, 09:12
That is the same product; the 1:1M charts are the official SIA charts.

They come in a folder, comprising of three charts (N, S and Paris) and a handbook listing the vertical extents and other details for the huge number of restricted and prohibited areas that cover France. For the price you also get 1 or 2 updates mailed to you during the course of the following year.

The other option for France are the 1:500k IGN charts. These are a lot more pretty and usable (no separate booklet needed) than the SIA charts, but only go up to 5000ft (in general) and that removes the really easy routes for getting about France: the "airways", most of which have a base of FL065 or so.

These routes avoid most of the restricted airspace and make flight planning and flying a cinch. Some bits pass through Class D but clearances through that are usually granted without question.

Flying low level in France is easy enough too but one spends ages with the SIA handbook, working out which bits of restricted airspace are active and at what levels, and the route can become quite complicated and navigable only with a GPS which shows the relevant airspace. I guess most French pilots do very short local flights only. If UK airspace was like that, the current UK infringement picture would be much much worse.

DFC
15th Jun 2006, 09:19
Flying low level in France is easy enough too but one spends ages with the SIA handbook, working out which bits of restricted airspace are active and at what levels, and the route can become quite complicated and navigable only with a GPS which shows the relevant airspace. I guess most French pilots do very short local flights only. If UK airspace was like that, the current UK infringement picture would be much much worse.

Speak for yourself. Most others find it easy and have been doing it since before GPS was ever heard of.

Do not assume that the large number of airspace infringements by UK pilots (in the UK and abroad) is repeated by pilots trained elsewhere.

French pilots fly as much if not more crosscountry flights as their UK counterparts.

Not long until the annual young persons flying tour of France rally.

Regards,

DFC

IO540
15th Jun 2006, 09:54
Low level is easy enough in small hops, which is what most pilots do.

Long flights across France are quite difficult to plan at low levels, due to the amount of low level restrictions to check out. It's true that most of it is inactive on any given day, particularly at weekends, but it still needs to be checked out, or in-flight diversions planned.

That said, the French (and just about everybody outside the UK) are much more casual about Class D transits than the UK where one has to sit up and beg and hope for the best (and have a diversion planned).

ContinentalC85
15th Jun 2006, 11:05
The Jeppesen VFR Maps are quite easy to use as the format is standard for all countries ( from Transair and most suppliers)
THe French VFR guide is really useful as it has 1:1000000 scale maps of the restricted airspace although I don't think the latest guide is as good and has as much info as the last one I bought in 2000

Jodelman
15th Jun 2006, 11:19
The Jeppesen VFR Maps are quite easy to use as the format is standard for all countries
They are also next to useless.
I have just come back from a trip to the Czech Rebublic and bought Germany (ED-5) and Czech (LK) both of which cover the Prague area. If you look to the east of Prague there are two airfields next to each other, Letnany and Kbely. The German map shows Kbely to the north - the Czech map shows Kbely to the south!!
Also another airfield used as a waypoint was shown on the wrong side of the town.
Use these maps with caution!!!

BRL
15th Jun 2006, 13:10
I could actually do with an old southern France map if anyone has got one they don't use anymore.

Drop me a PM or email if you have an old one that I can have.

skydriller
16th Jun 2006, 10:20
Check your PMs BRL.

PS. If anyone else wants any old french maps, I can ask my fellow french pilots at the aeroclub, I'm sure Ill be able to dig up a few.

ACARS
16th Jun 2006, 15:05
BRL. I sent email to your email address.

Thanks for your information.

Saab Dastard
17th Jun 2006, 09:21
IO540 -

the really easy routes for getting about France: the "airways", most of which have a base of FL065 or so.

Are these class A airways, for which one needs an IR?

IO540
17th Jun 2006, 10:04
Are these class A airways, for which one needs an IR?

No, in general there is no Class A in France below FL200 or thereabouts.

This is a must-read for France: http://flyinfrance.free.fr/

I also sent you a PM with other info.

Saab Dastard
17th Jun 2006, 15:04
IO -

Thanks very much for the info!

:ok:

SD

DFC
17th Jun 2006, 20:44
Low level is easy enough in small hops, which is what most pilots do.
Long flights across France are quite difficult to plan at low levels, due to the amount of low level restrictions to check out. It's true that most of it is inactive on any given day, particularly at weekends, but it still needs to be checked out, or in-flight diversions planned.
That said, the French (and just about everybody outside the UK) are much more casual about Class D transits than the UK where one has to sit up and beg and hope for the best (and have a diversion planned).

Takes all of 15 minutes for the worst route from UK to South coast of France and the worst level. Draw line, list areas, look up areas. Note frequencies and restrictions applicable.

Remember that even when flying airways VFR, the restricted areas are still applicable. It is only the IFR flights than can pass through with the ACC.

----------

No, in general there is no Class A in France below FL200 or thereabouts

There is a big chunk of Class A called the Paris TMA with levels down to 1500ft in places.

Outside the Paris TMA, airways are class E from base up to FL115 and then Class D from FL115 to FL195. Above FL195 is Class C in accordance with the single European Sky.

Best to check out the official publications when planning a trip rather than rely on reading PPRUNE.

Regards,

DFC

IO540
18th Jun 2006, 07:37
Remember that even when flying airways VFR, the restricted areas are still applicable. It is only the IFR flights than can pass through with the ACC

What the hell are you talking about, DFC?

Look at the charts. It's obvious that the military airspace has been drafted to avoid the routes in question. Whether you fly them VFR or IFR is completely irrelevant.

You are getting confused with some specific spots, where an IFR approach is permitted but a VFR one isn't, and there is some nuclear power station TRA in proximity.

As regards Class A, I used the words in general, in the correct context for the original question.

One assumes the pilot will look at the chart, not plan the route on pprune ;)