PDA

View Full Version : Human Performance Question?

1d2d3d4d
13th Jun 2006, 20:34
I sat a human performance exam at the weekend, and unfortunately the instructor who set went home ill so didn't mark it till Monday.

I am probably going to look a complete burk! However 2 questions in the exam I cannot find answers for
1) The names of the 3 nervous systems, you get a choice of 4?
2) The sound frequency range accepted by the human ear?

I have gone through all of my study material and cannot find the answers. I am using the AFE books by Jeremy Pratt, ( second edition 2003).

Chris

IO540
13th Jun 2006, 20:40
1st I don't know.

2nd depends (hugely) how old the person is, mainly, but a reasonable range for a 8 year old child (-6db points) is 20Hz-20kHz, for an old boy it might be 30Hz-12kHz with a bunch of dips in between depending how hard he was clubbing in his mis-spent youth. 20,000hr ATPs are usually deaf as wooden posts, perhaps 30Hz-6kHz and most won't pass the JAA initial audiogram :)

ShyTorque
13th Jun 2006, 20:44
1) Is this with regard to flying an R-22 Helicopter? Fuel, Electrics and Oil? In fact sometimes the whole aircraft makes me nervous....

2) Easy. Just checked my stereo.. Bass and treble!

Sorry - was it a serious answer you were after? :O

future captain
13th Jun 2006, 20:46
I dont study pilot ground school or anything but do Alevel Biology, the human ear can pick sound between 20 Hz - 20 kHz.

The question about 3 nervous systems, hmmm, what sort of answers did you have, anything on the lines of, sensory/relay/neurone?

OR was it like Somatic Nervous System, Autonomic Nervous System, Central Nervous System

Whirlygig
13th Jun 2006, 20:46
1. Central nervous system, peripheral nervous system, autonomic nrevous system.
2. 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz

Thanks to Trevor Thom!!

One of the reasons I think the Thom books are preferably as I'm sure the CAA have used to set their questions!

Cheers

Whirls

Pitts2112
13th Jun 2006, 20:56
1) Is this with regard to flying an R-22 Helicopter? Fuel, Electrics and Oil? In fact sometimes the whole aircraft makes me nervous....

LOL!! That's the best response I've seen to a question in a long time!!!:D:D:D:D

Had a guy from the CAA once describe a helicopter to me as

"10,000 metallic parts all fatiguing themselves at different rates around an oil leak"

Pitts2112 (spinning bits should be at the FRONT of the aircraft, not the TOP!)

1d2d3d4d
13th Jun 2006, 20:58
Thanks Whirls,

Thats spot on, the choices included central, peripheral, autonomic and core for the nervous systems.

The requency range was from 20HZ through 200HZ 20,000HZ to 2,000,000,Hz (I think, can't exactly take a photo copy for future reference.)

Must admit I was a bit pi--ed about not having all of the syllabus in my books.

Chris

A V 8
13th Jun 2006, 21:20
Was it the PPL human performance & limitations exam that you sat?

I don't remember (during revision and the exam itself) coming across anything to do with nervous systems or frequency ranges.

I guess that either it has been introduced recently, I've forgotten, I missed it in the revision books or I was just lucky!

Whirlygig
13th Jun 2006, 21:22
But, AV8, there are three actual exams for each subject - if you sat Paper 1 and passed, you would never know which questions were on papers 2 and 3! That is why, if you fail a subject three times, you have to have extra tuition and this has to be proved in some way to the CAA because when you resit, you will be sitting a paper you have seen before!

Cheers

Whirls

1d2d3d4d
13th Jun 2006, 21:23
Hi AV8,

Yes it was a PPL Human Performance and Limitations exam I sat.

Ther were a couple of other questions I was unsure about but these two really threw me.

Chris.

Fuji Abound
13th Jun 2006, 21:27
The usual questions of great practical consequence to the flying of two matchsticks held together with a piece of string then.

Still next time my engine fails I can be assured that my central nervous system will hopefully stimulate the appropriate reaction from my peripheral nervous system without my other systems being swamped with to much adrenalin :) .

A V 8
13th Jun 2006, 21:33
Whirlygig,

As I said, I just dont remember coming across those topics during my revision. Initially i thought that those topics may have been a bit more advanced that a PPL exam.

But, as always, I'll be the first one to admit when I'm wrong. :ugh:

1d2d3d4d,

When do you find out your result? Good luck.

AV8

Whirlygig
13th Jun 2006, 21:41
Well I got the nervous system info from page 3 ;) of Trevor Thom. However, if you didn't use his books then you may not have covered it which might also have been why 1d2d3d4d was puzzled :)

I used two books for HPL; Trevor Thom and another called Human Factors for Pilots written by a multitude of people. I was glad because I had one question (about the perception of the clsing speed/time of a head-on aircraft) that was covered in one book and not the other (can't remember which though!)

Cheers

Whirls

1d2d3d4d
14th Jun 2006, 21:38
AV8, Unfortunately I failed this exam, there were several questions that threw me but these two were easier to remember. I had gone through the confuser questions and had got about 90%, but no excuses back to the books and revise harder.

[quote][One of the reasons I think the Thom books are preferably as I'm sure the CAA have used to set their questions!/QUOTE]

Surely the CAA set the syllabus and the books are supposed to offer the the required information in a practical and digestable manner?

Havn't got the hang of this quote thingy yet:uhoh:

Regards Chris

Florida mud wrestler
14th Jun 2006, 21:54
As if the knowledge of the answers to these questions is a fundimental prerequisite to flying an aircraft:confused: where on earth do they find these people to set CAA exam papers. :confused: You have my sympathies as do the families of those responsible for setting the question in the first instance!

Whirlygig
14th Jun 2006, 22:06
I'm sorry you failed the exam but your examiner/instructor should go through the "failed" questions with you so that you can know where you went wrong and hence learn.

In addition, along with me prefering the Trevor Thom books (plus the other I mentioned), I am not a fan of The PPL Confuser.

If you have further subjects to sit I would recommend a book called Questions and Answers for the Private Pilots Licence published by AirLife (I think) and not to be confused with the Jeremy Pratt Q&A book.

Cheers

Whirls

IO540
15th Jun 2006, 09:25
You have my sympathies as do the families of those responsible for setting the question in the first instance!

How true. No matter how charitably I look at this, I can't see the relevant to flying a plane.

Lister Noble
15th Jun 2006, 09:38
I prefer and used the Thom books but also used www.airquiz.com
Worth a look as it is very "cost effective";)
Good luck.
Lister:)

DRJAD
15th Jun 2006, 11:44
As a setter of questions for other disciplines I can assure readers that it is quite an art. Though that is not to say that it is without its own fun!

Fuji Abound
15th Jun 2006, 12:41
A black art?

A V 8
15th Jun 2006, 23:30
1d etc!

Sorry to hear that mate. Better luck next time.

AV8.