PDA

View Full Version : SMOKING ON AIRCRAFT.

BIGBATMAN
13th Jun 2006, 15:36
Hello all,

Please can you help me with the following:-

Is Smoking on an aircraft breaking the law??
If so does it depend on the country etc??

Or is the non smoking rule on flights just a policy (not law) to reduce risk of fire etc and non smoking passenger confort??

I cant find anything to say it is a law, just that its common policy to keep aircraft smoke (tabacco) free.

If it is possible to smoke on some flights i,e where theres no law / policy are pilots allowed to smoke.???

Many thanks
Bat

potkettleblack
13th Jun 2006, 15:45
Looks to be an airline enforced rule as opposed to a CAA/JAA legal thing.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=884&pagetype=70&groupid=885&faqid=625

ultimatepro63
13th Jun 2006, 15:45
I would say it reducesthe risk of a fire and well the smell of ciggerates just hangs around therefore no good for passenger comfort.

dublinamg
13th Jun 2006, 16:27
Well it would be the law on Irish planes and soon to be English planes with the law banning smoking in the workplace. It's hard to imagine being on a plane with people smoking these days - when was it banned in Ireland/UK? I smoke and think there should be areas to smoke at an airport but wouldn't want to see people smoking on planes.

BYCREWBOY
13th Jun 2006, 17:12
I agree there should be designated areas for smokers! if they cant find a place to have a smoke they are going to do anyway. There very good at finding places to have a quick smoke..... i know i love a smoke

reDevil05
13th Jun 2006, 18:01
It depends from which country the airline is from. As some countries have not yet implemented the (non smoking on aiplanes law), cause it is a very long process.
So on most airlines it is just a policy. But that does not mean you could legally start smoking away while on your holiday trip to who knows where. Cause the airline could charge you with endangering the safety of the airplane and it's pax. Especially tampering with the smoke detector in the lavatory will definitely get you in alot of trouble. So my advice.. don t bother trying! Especially if you re on my flight !

Cheers. :cool:

Wodrick
13th Jun 2006, 21:20
From an engineering point of view smoking on aircraft caused no end of problems, from the disgusting mess behind the panels to the sludging up of ventilation, cooling and pressurisation systems, just ask anyone who went anywhere near a 1-11 !
An ex-smoker me but good riddance on aircraft.

Capt Claret
14th Jun 2006, 01:39
In Australia, Government legislation prohibits smoking in the terminal, on the tarmac & on board RPT aircraft. Or, so they say on the PA.

BIGBATMAN
14th Jun 2006, 18:00
I just want to add that i dont smoke and have intention to on or off an aircraft.

it was just a conversation i had with someone about if its law or policy.

Thanks everyone for you imput.

Bat

Rainboe
14th Jun 2006, 19:13
I can't understand why there are still switch operated 'No Smoking' signs on aeroplanes! Why haven't they all been locked on?

aw8565
14th Jun 2006, 23:23
I can't understand why there are still switch operated 'No Smoking' signs on aeroplanes! Why haven't they all been locked on?

The flight crew would have nothing to bing-bong with then I suppose....

Plus I think it makes them feel important to have LOTS of switches, even if they don't need ALL of them.... ;)

TopBunk
15th Jun 2006, 04:44
... so what if the aircraft is sold on to a country/operator where smoking is still legal/allowed? Do they have to refit the panel and wiring? Of course not, that would cost (as would taking the panel out in the first place).

Rainboe
15th Jun 2006, 09:11
But they could short out the cable so the 'No Smoking' sign switch was not connected. Then change the letters under the switch to 'Pay rise for Pilots!'. Of course, the switch is no longer connected to anything, but it would feel good flicking it........

Old Smokey
15th Jun 2006, 12:07
Our B777s used to have a 3 position Smoking Sign Switch, OFF, AUTO, and ON. Now they're labeled ON, ON, and ON, and the cabin signs are "hot-wired" on permanently.

I think that there's a subtle message somewhere in that.:E

Regards,

Old Smokey

coco-nuts
15th Jun 2006, 13:56
The cockpit is a chimney in India!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers
coco