PDA

View Full Version : Thomsonfly (merged)

Pages : [1] 2

whoop-whoop
25th Feb 2004, 01:28
Can anyone help? Heard that ThomsonFly were running a recruitment day in Coventry, does anyone know when and where?

chinchaser
25th Feb 2004, 01:34
Whoop Whoop,

Yeap Thomsonfly is holding opendays this weekend at Coventry looking for Pilots and Cabin crew. The advert states that it is at the Coventry Courtyard , Marriot Hotel on the A45 London Road.
Both Saturday and Sunday between 10am and 6pm. Further details are on the Britannia web site as well.

Best of luck.

Regards

Chin.:ok:

Manflex55
25th Feb 2004, 02:17
This seems to be for 737-rated pilots only though. To quote from the Thomsonfly webpage:
"To be considered, you will need to be type-rated 737/ 757/767 with a minimum of 1500 hours flying time – of which 500 must be jet hours or 1000 turbine. You must be under 45 years of age, and hold a valid JAR medical and licence."

Pilot Pete
25th Feb 2004, 05:29
But equally further down the same page as your quote Manflex it says;

First Officers preferably will be 737 type rated with Line experience.

The key word appearing to be 'preferably'.

I would get myself along if I wanted a chance at a job, whatever my experience level...............

PP

Gin Slinger
25th Feb 2004, 07:54
If Thomsonfly goes to plan, Britannia will have a need a substantial number of guys for the 737 in the next year or so - I can't believe there are many 737 rated and experienced pilots out there.

As PP alludes to, get those application forms in!

witchdoctor
25th Feb 2004, 18:06
Be prepared to have your application handed/sent back to you if you have no type rating. They seem pretty set on holding out for the type rated guys/gals at the moment.

However, always nice to get out for the day, and it never hurts to show your face at these things. Might even see some of you there myself.:)

monkeyboy
26th Feb 2004, 00:56
I hate to put a dampner on things but there are still quite a few people who sat the aptitude tests back in December who have yet to be called for interview and sim check (I'm referring to low houred guys) so I think you'd form a queue behind those first.

I could be wrong though!

Ex Oggie
26th Feb 2004, 04:50
I am not sure if it is Gospal, but I heard most the low houred guys are CTC. Anyone confirm or deny?

Superfly
26th Feb 2004, 07:04
Pilote Pete,

well said ! good to see some good souls cheering up us wanabees :ok:
I am one of the low hours guys but I don't mind getting some "exposure" and sell myself the best I can. Things can turn around quite nicely. Easyjet only having to crew some 120 extra cockpits should keep us hoping for better prospects :cool:
Coventry is well worth a visit to my view.

SF

whoop-whoop
26th Feb 2004, 19:06
Thanks Chinchaser, I'm going to get myself down there. Being forever the optimist how many type rated guys/galls can be out there.

And at least it's an opportunity to talk to the recruitment people and get some good gen on what's actually happening with T-Fly.

flat-tire
26th Feb 2004, 21:15
Are you guys taking CVs or filling out another one of those long applications?:ok:

StudentInDebt
26th Feb 2004, 22:11
Fill in the application form - they will only tell you to do it anyway. I think there is a note on the website to the effect that CVs will be ignored. As for the length of the form, its not difficult to fill in and doesn't require 5 essays so shouldn't take much more than half an hour. Be a shame to miss out on a job for want of filling it out.

TUI are putting a lot of money into Thompsonfly and have even gone to the length of buying the airport (with rumours of more to follow).

Shame they couldn't have come up with a better name though.

eagerbeaver
26th Feb 2004, 22:31
whoop whoop

FYI I am going and i am type rated and my ex-collegue will be with me, also rated. I will be there on sunday at 10am.

look out for the severly naffed off bloke being told "maybe" and that will be moi. ho ho.

also you must have the application form with you, it will be same as easy "you need to apply online" type thing. Should be interesting.

waspie
27th Feb 2004, 01:32
SuperFly, although us wannabees may be desperate for a job as a pilot, are you desperate enough to work for Easyjet or Ryanair? Not the best lifestlye, but if you dont mind working like that and then best of luck. And best of luck to everyone going to check out the interviews etc.

triplespool
27th Feb 2004, 01:56
I was one of the pilots who did not make at through the second day for some reason, but this was months ago, what are TUI hoping to find out there, this is only for 4 aircraft at the moment.
They must have gone through hundreds of pilots. I myself am a time on type pilot. It is just some of my thoughts after seeing the third wave of advertising.
T

Pilot Pete
27th Feb 2004, 06:03
This is jsut my thoughts on the matter concerning type rated or not vs low hours etc etc.

There is an experience 'gradient' required amongst your crews when you operate an airline. So therefore you can't employ all your F/Os with 250hrs each and equally you can't have a fleet of captains who are all on their first command with minimum hours.

As Thomsonfly.com is brand new they are facing the problem of recruiting a suitable cross section of experience for both seats. I know for a fact that several very low hour F/Os (maybe infact S/Os) were recruited and are in training at the moment. This (and this is my speculation) may well have lead to the fact that they now require F/Os with significantly more experience to fill the further right seat positions, possibly type rated (with the obvious savings that brings too).

However, Britannia, who are doing the recruitment side of things have always employed the person and not the rating/ experience, so now they have to fill two criteria; the experience and the person. So having a rating and experience will not get you the job, but it will probably get you to the front of the queue for a selection. You will still have to jump through all the same hoops as any other applicant.

Again this is my speculation, but I would still consider going along to the open day, even with low hours, just to get some 'exposure' and to try to get some gen from the horses mouth(s). If the planned expansion happens I am sure there will be more room for the low houred Wannabe again and bearing in mind the last round of recruitment for both Thomsonfly and Britannia the first ones through the door had filled in applications long before the recruitment started.

As a point of interest triplespool I believe Britannia are one of the few airlines who will give you feedback on their selection procedure. I think a written request to HR should get a response with some detail on where you went wrong. Always worth the cost of a stamp for future reference.

And for you Ex Oggie I do not believe your statement to be correct about the low houred Thomsonfly pilots mainly coming from CTC. I know a few of them and they were direct entry having filled in the application and jumped through the hoops successfully.

Best of luck to you all.

PP

chief
11th Jul 2005, 20:24
Guys and Gals,

Look, I know this question has been asked time and time again and yes, before anyone asks, I have done a search on this topic but if anyone, ANYONE has the maths questions from the Watson Glazier exams which forms part of the Britannia stage one assessment then, please, please, please can you provide me with the link!!! I know they are out there somewhere. Or if you can offer any advice then this would be great too! I have tirelessly worked in an office for the last two years, fortunately working my way up the ladder, but there has not been a glimmer of any jobs in the horizon.... Like most of the people on this site, I have wanted to be a pilot since day one and have scrimped and saved by doing the most crappiest jobs to finance this flying career! I am not seeking any pitty, well, okay a little but I suppose if you want something so much you search in every avenue and jump every hurdle before you get there. I feel I have jumped too many hurdles (sorry if I seem to be going off in one here!!)

If you want to send me a private message then please do.

Thanks for any help!

19 people viewing this topic and not one reply!? Maybe I need to reply to myself a few times to encourage people to start this topic off?? :{

MAX
12th Jul 2005, 08:19
Mate,

Prob not too many replies because all the info you can find is spot on! The recruitment process has not changed one iota. Everything you have read about group exercises and sims etc is still the same.

The maths questions are not hard. I dont know a link to any examples on the internet. Get down the library and book out all those prepare for maths tests books and that will get your brain ticking.

Study your butt off, be prepared and you will have a good shot. Myself and many others in the company were weened at the school of hard knocks and it seems to make for a good and hardy candidate at interview.

Good luck.

MAX:cool:

747 Downwind
12th Jul 2005, 10:44
Can anyone provide info. regarding the STAGE 2 selection. The interview with the psychologist CAN'T really be prepared for granted, but some info on the sim profile would be great, ie: raw data, engine failure/V1 CUT, steep turns, NO F/D, 737 OR 757, SID, ILS/NDB etc.

Also some info. on the nature of the interview with HR and pilots: general chat about airline, trick questions, tech. questions etc.

Any informative replies or even PM would be greatly appreciated. I believe some chaps have their STAGE 2 tomorrow.. Good Luck
:ok:

chief
12th Jul 2005, 18:39
Thanks for the reply! Definately, I will give it my best shot and for sure I will study my "butt off"!

SKIP007
12th Jul 2005, 20:23
Hello Chief,

I am going to be interviewed next week and I am also wondering about maths and other subjects. I am investigating on them and I will brief you if I have any feed back.

We are many like you : strongly motivated but pressurised at 10 psi!

:ok:

SKIP007

chief
13th Jul 2005, 07:04
Thanks Skip. I wish you luck and hope you do well.

wobblyprop
13th Jul 2005, 07:54
lots of info here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=177948)

747 Downwind
13th Jul 2005, 09:00
Cheers wobblyprop.. ThomsonFly sending me a profile soon, I'll digest that first.

Hope things are going well for you

74 Downwind;)

frozenpilot
20th Jul 2005, 14:20
747 check your PM's

Macaw_1884
22nd Jul 2005, 16:03
Hi all,

I dont think this query has come up before on PPrune, so here goes.

The link to the pilot application form at the bottom of this web page (http://www.thomsonfly.com/en/company_221.html) does not link to the pilot application form; instead it links to the assessment day form. I sent an email to Thomsonfly about this but I have not heard anything back.

Can anyone else confirm that this is a problem instead of it being just my pc thats playing up?

Thanks in advance.

Macaw.

berserker
22nd Jul 2005, 20:55
Same thing happened to me when i clicked the link. Fortunately for me the application is already sent, so I`m hoping for the best:)

Macaw_1884
23rd Jul 2005, 16:29
Thank you for your reply berserker, good luck with your application.

Clipperpan
25th Jul 2005, 00:46
Hi Macaw, give me your email I'll send you a copy of the application form ;)
clipperpan

Macaw_1884
26th Jul 2005, 12:16
I see the web link has been fixed now so that I can access the form.

Thanks anyway to those of you who offered to email it to me.

fladder
27th Jul 2005, 16:24
I know, it's on the web already (somewhere)... but who has some recent info about stage 1 ?

Thanks !

Loony_Pilot
27th Jul 2005, 17:48
Hi,

I've very recently had my Thomsonfly stage 2 assessment, how long do they usually take to get back to you with the good or bad news?

I'm just sitting here anxiously waiting!!

Thanks

LP

510orbust
28th Jul 2005, 08:01
Depends on how busy she is and how many stage ones they are doing that week. I emailed in after 7 days and got a phone call an hour later

rjay259
28th Jul 2005, 10:56
A friend of mine found out two days later, but as 510 said depends upon how busy they are.

b737-4
28th Jul 2005, 12:03
how did you guys get on in phase 1+2?

timzsta
28th Jul 2005, 18:48
I found out in a couple of days after stage 2. Sadly it was bad news as I didn't do well enough in the sim in my opinion. It was ok, but not up to what they were looking for I think.

Am still waiting for them to provide the feedback they offered in their letter, which will be useful. Am sure they are busy though at present so will just be patient.

I have some other opportunities coming up in the next few months so although I am obviously dissapointed I am looking back at it as a valuable learning experience.

Hope you guys get better news then I did. Good luck.

CapedVulture
28th Jul 2005, 22:45
Hi

Can anyone tell me what simulator is used for the current Thomsonfly sim assessment?
Is it 737-300 or 757 at Luton?

Any ideas where to get 2 - 4 hours on something as similar as possible, as to what you are assessed on and at short notice?

Many thanks

29th Jul 2005, 09:33
Sorry to hear that mate.

b737-4
29th Jul 2005, 10:38
sorry to hear that timzsta, good luck in the future

DTYSAPCO
29th Jul 2005, 13:22
is it, where where???

rjay259
29th Jul 2005, 13:29
A mate of mine used the 737 sim but i will be going to man and using a 757 sim, think it depends upon what is available.

StudentInDebt
29th Jul 2005, 18:44
Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=2003432&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending) ;)

Sorry YYZ, should work now...

YYZ
29th Jul 2005, 18:48
StudentInDebt that link is direct to the search area?
Was that intentional or a mistake?.... Or am I missing something, It is Friday night and I should be out enjoying myself somewhere..... Ho Hum...

YYZ
:rolleyes:

frozenpilot
30th Jul 2005, 12:20
Skip 007 check your PM's

Loony_Pilot
1st Aug 2005, 23:50
Hi,

I got the rejection letter too.

Its a shame cause my sim check went really well.

I felt I didnt really interview as well as I could, havent had a "big interview" for 5yrs and was a bit nervous, meaning all my nicely prepared answers vanished and I think it came across a bit "weak"

I do have other options open but its disappointing all the same.

I'll write and see if I can get feedback, have to look at these things as learning experiences!!

LP

(edited due to keyboard gremlins)

747 Downwind
2nd Aug 2005, 09:53
I got the dreaded rejection letter too, two days after the interview. Now waiting for valuable feedback.. think it may have been the psychologist or interview, hope it WASN'T the sim:confused:

Anyway good learning curve as stated my loony_pilot and timzsta, at least I won't have to live in Sheffield! There are always positives if u look hard enough:E

angelorange
2nd Aug 2005, 11:08
enjoyed the sim ride

interview was ok but did'nt feel too fresh after the 0500 jump out of bed to make the interview

alas rejected and awaiting feedback

dissappointed but glad for the opportunity of a real airline interview

Loony_Pilot
2nd Aug 2005, 14:25
Does anyone know if you can re-apply after a set period of time?

I'm still keen to have another shot!

Strontium Dog
2nd Aug 2005, 14:56
Don't quote me, but I have read on here somewhere that if you;

fail on day one - you can re-apply after 1 year
fail on day two - you can re-apply after 2 years.

Not sure how accurate that is, like I said I read it on PPRuNe so weight the credibility of the info. accordingly.

Loony_Pilot
2nd Aug 2005, 15:16
Thats a long time.. I was hoping it was more like 6 months!!!

etops1
3rd Aug 2005, 09:27
What is the email to send your CV to? I can not find it

Adam55
5th Aug 2005, 14:58
I have a stage 2 coming up in the next few days, I was wondering what the interviews involve ? anyone who has been already give me any hints ?
The HR and Pilot interviews - any technical questions ? any ricky ones ? any airline history ?
The Psychologist - everyone seems to think this was the bad bit - what type of questions - any tricky ones catch you out ?

Any hints you guys can give would be most appreciated

enigmajet
5th Aug 2005, 17:30
Hi Adam55

I also have a stage 2 coming up soon.
If anyone has info on questions that may be asked by pilot and hr I would love to hear them.
Any help greatly appreciated.:cool:

angelorange
6th Aug 2005, 13:13
just be honest - be yourself and try to enjoy the sim

re-applys are 12 months for all stages i believe

747 Downwind
7th Aug 2005, 08:45
The sim guys are really nice.. enjoy the sim, it is bloody FREE:)

Study the profile well and fly accurately, if u screw up don't worry they give u a few goes and their looking for improvement anyway.

Interview is Life Events based with no tech material as such, there will be a management pilot and HR representative. The HR lady is really pleasant.

Don't worry about the pyschologist, be yourself, she is pleasant too. Adam55, she doesn't seem to ask any tricky questions but just seems to fail a lot of people I have heard.

Anyone got their feedback on where they went wrong.. how long is the average waiting time?

74 Downwind:ok:

JCB 1
9th Aug 2005, 03:39
Not wishing to be controversial, but simply stating an interesting fact, but everyone I know that has got into Thomsonfly in the last 6 months were originally from outside the UK. All the British pilots I know that have gone for it have been rejected.

Strontium Dog
9th Aug 2005, 07:25
Two very good friends of mine have just been accepted into Thomsonfly in the last month, they are both British.

I think that little conspiracy theory can now be put to bed. :rolleyes:

JCB 1
9th Aug 2005, 13:54
S Dog - Thankyou for that info.

My comment was based entirely on friends and colleagues that I know who have passed and failed Thomsonfly recently. It should therefore be taken in that context, and no other.

angelorange
9th Aug 2005, 14:53
Got the feedback fm stage 2.

Basically said I didn't meet all the criteria in the key interview section.

My analysis?

Sim ride performance was OK - Previous practice on a computer program like X plane / Flight Sim. was worthwhile - couldn't afford a "real" sim. Not flown much heavier than 6 tonnes - so momentum was an issue but I actually really enjoyed it!

Didn't really understand some of the psychology questions - maybe she was looking for a bit of controvesy/debate - seemed to ask a lot about military flying / discipline and somehow contrasting that with an Airline's work ethic. Also what things would really irritate me about other people - but I didn't rise to it - probably my fault for not getting to bed earlier night before!

Apparently you have to have all 5 views (2 sim, 2 interview, 1 psychologist) giving the green light - one no and you are out.

Oh and have to wait at least 2 years for next go.

Well , i've got to move on to other things......

timzsta
9th Aug 2005, 15:05
I got my feedback letter last week. It just said I didn't meet the required standard in the simulator, that's all.

When I wrote for feedback I asked the question about how long until I could re-apply and the answer they gave was two years.

If they re-advertise why not just apply anyways? Worst they can do is say no. They said no to my initial application, then called me for assessment and interview.

I got a good friend who is with Thomsonfly on the 737 and she is very much British (to further dispel that rumour).

Seems like quite a few people failed the sim which is interesting. They said in the briefing you need to fly it to IR test standard to pass the sim check (you could still be failed on the interviews of course). Most of the guys on my assessment day were low hours people like myself so flying the sim ride to IR standard is always going to be very challenging if you have never flown a jet. Would be interested to hear from people who have similar experience levels to me (250hrs) to see how they got on.

Don't be to dispondent, I learn't more about flying jets in that 1 hour in the simulator then the rest of my life. Flybe, Eastern, Netjets, bookajet, all advertising in FI this week.

Crazy Fists
11th Aug 2005, 11:38
Enigmajet
The interview style is very similar to the format of the British Airways interview which has been well discussed on pprune. Check out those threads and you can not go far wrong. Do not waste your time with refreshing yourself on technical subjects.... there aren't any.
If you have some good examples of some the senarios, then the interview will be breeze.
I had the good news within hours of the interview but I know that some people are waiting almost two weeks to get a response either way.
Good luck with it.
Crazy Fists

enigmajet
12th Aug 2005, 11:38
Got the phone call a few hours after the interview. Offered me a position. Happy days are here again!!:D

The Devils Reject
17th Aug 2005, 13:39
Seems to be the pattern for a success. A few hours after the sim and interviews are complete, a phone call if your successful.
See you there crazy fists

737wannabee
17th Aug 2005, 17:20
Has any one had good news after waiting 10 days?

shortcut_approved
17th Aug 2005, 18:18
To anyone who has been through the process lately,

Could anyone let me know whether the sim in Luton has the old style analogue HSI and AI or can I expect to see some CRT screens in there?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Shorcut

angelorange
18th Aug 2005, 10:07
check the other posts for advice

it's a 737 300 sim

suggest you get xplane or MS FSim and practice the proceedure they send you

alles gute!

cheers

shortcut_approved
18th Aug 2005, 10:38
Thanks, I had already planned to be practicing on FS2004.
However, before I download the appropriate model and panel, I need to know whether I should be practicing with an old flight deck with analogue AI and HSI instruments, or the CRT displays. Can anyone help?

Cheers,
Shortcut

FLYbyWIT
18th Aug 2005, 15:23
both 300 sims in luton are EFIS, no analogue.

510orbust
18th Aug 2005, 15:29
I know of someone that got good news after waiting a week if that helps.....

Francesco82
18th Aug 2005, 16:58
but do you need 1500 TT including 500 on jet to be considered?
thanx guys

ATP_Al
18th Aug 2005, 17:03
Despite what it says on the website, guys with as little as 300hrs are being considered for the 737. Like everyone else, they're looking for experienced pilots but there aren't many left!

Go for it!

Al

Francesco82
19th Aug 2005, 14:20
Oh i see....how should I apply then? thanks a lot :)

YYZ
19th Aug 2005, 16:32
Francesco82, come on now, should you need to be spoon-fed?

Seek and ye shall find:rolleyes:

If you want the job then you can find all you need online.

YYZ

frozenpilot
20th Aug 2005, 20:03
Hi,

Firstly, congratulations to all who have passed stage one. I have a day one assessment fast approaching and have found lots of good info, but would welcome any PM's on the the tests or advice about the selection!!

I have got a lot of information about the second stage i'd be willing to trade.

Best wishes to all,

Frozenpilot

dmmdmmd
21st Aug 2005, 11:33
I have the 2nd stage assessment and am not sure if I report to Thomsonfly Flight Training centre or Alteon at 0615??????

Can anyone please help.

Mister
21st Aug 2005, 13:27
Hi mate:

I think it will be at Alteon, only the security guard will be at the Thomsonfly Training Center at 06:15 L.T.

The medical check for being hired is on the second stage or after they offer you a job....

Regards.

oojamaflip
21st Aug 2005, 14:00
Take note of the address for the interviews in Stage 2 - as I found out too late, it isn't the same building as Stage 1. Caused a bit of panic it did.

I found out that I'd fluffed the sim two days later (postmarked the day of the sim). It was my first interview and the staff at Stage 1 advised me not to waste my money hiring a sim to practice - bad advice. I largely failed due to the 'rabbit in the headlights' effect of being in a strange environment. The interviews I found very friendly and no great shakes - but I'd done enough research that I thought I'd be unlucky to catch a question that stumped me - that breeds relaxation and confidence and the info is certainly out there.

Good luck to those that were successful, don't lose heart to those that weren't. I've gone on to get in to BA, so it worked out better than I could have hoped.

O:O

MAX
22nd Aug 2005, 07:11
It doesnt really matter as you can expect to fly raw data.

MAX:cool:

Will964
1st Sep 2005, 15:48
A fellow pilot, who has been selected for a Thomsonfly selection day, said the Thompson HR department prefer people to drop off the application rather than send it in. Does anyone know more about this? Has anyone who sent an application in been called for selection?

Penworth
1st Sep 2005, 16:21
Yup, me! I sent in the form as requested by HR and received an email from them about a week later. I can't imagine why they would want everybody to pop in, considering they must be processing 100+ applications at the moment!

PW

Will964
1st Sep 2005, 16:34
Thanks for that Penworth. Mail it is and good luck with the selection day.

The Devils Reject
2nd Sep 2005, 09:29
They still need to recruit about a hundered pilots in the next 8 months, so you can just imagine how many applications they are processing. I know about 8 people who have been successful, and all of them posted in the form.
Good luck

ali1
2nd Sep 2005, 10:33
Hi guys

i sent the application form and just been hired. Happy days!! Don't think it matters whether you drop it in or send it in. If you get called, work hard and you'll get there.

Ali1

smith
2nd Sep 2005, 11:46
There was a 737 ThomsonFly in the circuit at PIK on Tues

AMiller
2nd Sep 2005, 13:18
smith,

thats interesting

andy

speedy688
2nd Sep 2005, 14:00
Have Thomsonfly been considering low hour pilots (i.e. fresh out of school <250hrs)?

YYZ
2nd Sep 2005, 14:39
speedy688

Yes, they have.
However, I have just received a rejection letter today stating they are no longer recruiting SOs & politely reminding me of their minimum requirements?

Strange, as I know of three 250ish hour guys with assessments late September, standard letter I guess?

YYZ

speedy688
2nd Sep 2005, 15:07
Thanks YYZ. Pitty I missed the boat on this one. Strange how they never advertised for SOs but were still recruiting for them. Is there a lesson here? - Apply for everything even if you are way off the minimum requirements?

Jetavia
4th Sep 2005, 23:31
Anyone know if they are taking freshly rated 737 FO's? I assume the SO's are fresh out of school with 200-250 hours or?

Have to say their application form is the most comprehensive I have seen for a long time.. :8

ali1
5th Sep 2005, 08:48
I got hired with 400hrs, no type rating. As speedy 688 said apply for everything and you might be lucky. I got the rejection letter, 2 days later got a call asking me to go for assessment. Strange world!!

Ali1

Craggenmore
5th Sep 2005, 09:21
I got the rejection letter, 2 days later got a call asking me to go for assessment. I must be really special as I received 2 rejection letters from 2 different people, with both letters saying 'Sorry' in different ways!

Maybe I'll get a call after all. 2 wrongs make a right eh? ;)

:p

EGCC4284
5th Sep 2005, 10:52
ali1, if you don't mind me asking are you by chance below the magical age of 30????

YYZ
5th Sep 2005, 11:01
EGCC4284

Have a look at his profile...

Licence Type (eg CPL. Pilots only) cpl/ir
Current a/c Type (eg B737. Pilots only) light aircraft
Biography Alistair MacDonald aged 20 gained CPL/IR in April 2003 and been seeking flying employment since.
Location warwickshire
Interests sports, flying, travelling.
Occupation Temping at C&G

Subject to it being true of course?

YYZ

rjay259
5th Sep 2005, 12:09
Hi guys an gals,

Sorry to bring a bit more bad news but I got the phone call saying welcome aboard. It took three weeks for them to say so but hey I got it in the end.

Keep going and yes apply to everything and anyone keep going even when it feels like it all gets a little bit tougher.

Keep the faith.

BAP
5th Sep 2005, 12:19
Hallo fellow pilots.

I have been invited for the first assessment day, and I was hoping to get some more precise information regarding the different tests I would face on the day.

I have read all the threads concerning Thomsonfly/Britannia, but most of them only indicate that I can expect a verbal reasoning test, a numerical test, personality test and a group exercise…

Since my mother tongue is not English, it is especially the verbal reasoning test I am looking for details about.

I have bought two books covering the subject, but I have realized that there are many types of verbal reasoning tests, so which one is it?? Is there anybody out there who can tell me what the test is all about? Shall I swap words in a sentence; find the missing words…..? And how difficult is it?

I would also be pleased if there is anybody, who can give me some detailed, up to date information about the math test, and on the personality test.

I would appreciate all the help I can get.
/BAP

Superpilot
5th Sep 2005, 12:34
Hi,

I've never sat the Thomsonfly verbal reasoning test myself, but gather it can't be much different to what other airlines make you go through.

Historically they are not that easy, though it may seem like it. I've certainly failed a few! :rolleyes:

Basically you have to read a passage of text, normally a short article about something that has nothing to do with flying. At the end of the reading you need to answer some questions. To each question, there are three answers: True, False and Can't Say.

So for example at the end of the reading they will ask you: "Are monkeys blue?". Although we know this is rubbish, you have to indicate 'True' if you think according to the article this is what was inferred.

Same for false. You have a third option to specify 'Can't say'. The hardest choice is between False and Can't Say.

Here's some examples: http://www.shldirect.com/phasei/helpsection-phaseI/Helpon-9.asp?ID=E2C2BAD508294F7E86AD88B45786E9C4

Let me know your score!

ali1
5th Sep 2005, 12:44
I'm afraid so, just turned 22!!

Sorry profile a bit out of date,

Sorry about ure news V2andsome

Autobrake
5th Sep 2005, 13:01
Sorry to hear that V2.

I'm supposed to be going to stage 1 on the 22nd for SO position. I wonder if that means I have a nasty email pending!

BAP
5th Sep 2005, 15:01
Hallo Superpilot.

Thanks for your reply!

I have done the test on the website you told me about, and as you requested my score was:
“Well done, you got 24 right out of 27 attempted.”

Is that good or bad compared to your score? and how is the level of difficulty compared to the airlines tests you have attended?
If you know any similar websites, please let me know.

Is there any former Thomsonfly applicant who can confirm that this is the type of verbal test, given at the first stage assessment day?

I am still requesting detailed information, concerning the math and the personal test?

/BAP

Boeing 7E7
5th Sep 2005, 16:22
If you get 24 out of 27 on the day I would be happy!

Superpilot
5th Sep 2005, 17:33
I don't know which test you actually did. Did you do the diagrammatic and numerical ones as well?

Maybe someone else can comment but I think the numerical tests on that site are far from what you should be expecting!

The verbal reasoning ones are likely to be the same though.

I've been visiting that site for years, it wouldn't be fair for me to do the test and then give you an answer!

I just wanted to know how many out of the 16 or so verbal reasoning test questions you got right.

BAP
5th Sep 2005, 17:57
Hi.

I did the Verbal Reasoning test. There were 28 questions, and I managed to answer 27 of them, before the time ran out. And out of the 27 I got 24 correct.

If this is the level of difficulty I can expect at the assessment, I really don’t worry anymore. But since many natives have problems with the verbal test at Thomsonfly, I think that the level in this test most be lower than the test at Thomsonfly.

So if there is anybody who has attended the assessment with Thomsonfly, please tell me about the level of difficulty..?

/BAP

gdnhalley
5th Sep 2005, 18:59
I have recently done the Thomsonfly assessment, ( and failed) I found the questions there much more vague than the the ones that I practised. From memory I think there was 5 sections each with a slightly different format, eg:
Short passage followed by questions with 5 possible answers: true, possibly true, not enough information, possibly false, false. or
Short passage, with statements about, you then had to say whether an assumption had been made in these statements or not.
3 other sections, with, I think, a choice of 2 answers, all slightly different.
I have searched for similar on the web, but so far haven't found the same test.
regards gdn

DTYSAPCO
5th Sep 2005, 20:55
Dear xxxxxxx

Thank you for agreeing to attend our assessment day on xxxxxx. Regrettably our requirement for pilots for 2006 has changed
and
we will only be considering Direct Entry Captains and First Officers.

Therefore we are withdrawing our invitation for you to attend the
assessment
day.

I do appreciate that you will be disappointed by this decision however
we
hope to be able to offer opportunities to Second Officers towards the
end of
next year.

In the meantime we will not keep your application on file as these are
subject to change. For further information please see our website at
the end
of next year.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Thomsonfly and I would
like to
take this opportunity of wishing you every success with your chosen
career.

Kind Regards

xxxxxxxx

sawotanao
5th Sep 2005, 21:05
Sorry to hear that, just waiting for my PFO!:{

Jinkster
5th Sep 2005, 21:24
:mad: i am really not a happy bunny!

:{

Pilot Pete
5th Sep 2005, 23:36
It's very sad for all involved and I understand how you all feel....You get my sympathy. Do bear in mind that TFly were one of the few jet operators to take direct entry S/Os with minimal hours, most have some sort of tie up with a 'scheme'.

I know it is no recompense, but due to the large number of S/Os taken on thus far, it was only a matter of time before the door had to be temporarily shut in order to preserve an experience balance on the various fleets.

Keep plugging away and it WILL happen. What happens today will make you stronger tomorrow, if you are determined enough.

Best wishes to you all

PP

Jinkster
5th Sep 2005, 23:39
PP,

Thanks for your sympathy.....reminds me of the old saying "what sounds too good to be true, probably is...!"

:\

PPRuNeUser0215
6th Sep 2005, 07:25
Guys don't despair too much... All they are saying is "Not for the time being". The same way they shut the doorr so suddenly, they can re-open it.
Just be ready when it happens so make sure you keep your finger on the pulse.

As for more waiting, if you get in this outfit, I can tell you from personal experience that the wait is well worth it.
By a mixture of bad luck, company restructuration, 911 etc.... From the moment I passed the last stage and the moment I properly set foot in the company, it nearly took 4 years.
Now how does compare 4 years in the career of a pilot? Well it isn't that much, specially when you are talking about joining a career airline such as Brit... sorry Tfly.

As for those of you heading passed the big 30... I was selected at age 28 but as you know, I had to wait until in my thirties before getting in.

In the meantime go chasing other flying jobs because it would be wrong to only rely on that particular interview.

Best of luck

Superpilot
6th Sep 2005, 07:35
true, possibly true, not enough information, possibly false, false

Damn, that makes it even more vague.

rjay259
6th Sep 2005, 08:58
I compleatly agree with AMEX,

Come on guys keep the fight going, so this one was TEMPORARILY shut, it will be open again soon i am sure.

You have got this far dont let the dream go the next job will be just around the corner.

Good luck to all

World of Tweed
6th Sep 2005, 10:27
One of the Tests that they have used in the past is called the "Watson-Glasier Critical Thinking Analysis".

I think it is the one that gdnHalley is talking about. And there is quite alot of stuff on the net about it. If you know anyone in recruitment circles they may even be able to get a copy for you but otherwise they are tightly controlled.

Comprises of 5 Sections with short passages about random stuff and then questions following each passage relating to a particular definition. i.e. "can you deduce from this..... etc. "deduction", "assumption", "inference" and a couple of others are the sections. Each section is designed to highlight your comprehension of these terms - I suggest getting a dictionary and looking the terms up to arm your self with at least a basic uderstanding of the very subtle difference between the terms.

I wouldn't worry if english is not you first language as there may be an allowance made in the scoring of these types of tests for non-native speakers but in any case I'm guessing you'll know the language better than most of us native speakers anyway!!!

I don't think its the actual language skills they are too bothered about but rather what that says (or 'Infers') about your other faculties and how you think things through.

Be advised though that this test has been used by both BA and Virgin for both flying and ground positions and is a favorite in 'Graduate' job type recruitment, so don't be surprised to see around a fair bit.

Good Luck

The Devils Reject
6th Sep 2005, 10:35
yep , keep trying, it will probably open up again in a few months. I'm 33 and managed to get in as a SO, so there's hope for everyone.
Best of luck

Plod
6th Sep 2005, 12:52
Just got my PFO email, what really hurt was they didn't even get my name on the email, that was some other poor sod called rob.

Never mind chaps, things do seem to be moving so we'll just have to keep trying. What's another few months when you've spent years of your life getting to this stage!:*

ATP_Al
6th Sep 2005, 16:18
Does any know if it is just people waiting for stage one who have received this e-mail, or are those waiting for stage 2 out of the running as well?

I have a stage two assessment early next month and have heard nothing so far.

Thanks,

Al

blueb0y79
6th Sep 2005, 20:16
Well what a bl**dy shambles. If the HR department were to do that at any other major carrier they would certainly expect heads to be rolling !

If their recruitment processes are so messed up what does it say for their other departments ???

I think that TFly have certainly been left with their pants down on this occasion and the poor sods who have been let down probably wont forget the awful and down right rude way that they have been treated.

So take my advice, dont worry about the PFO letter if you recieved one. Chins up guys ! This is not the norm for other airlines.

BB

mesh
6th Sep 2005, 21:14
I too was absolutely gutted to find out yesterday that I had to cancel the Hotel, put the new suit in the cupboard and forget about studying bloody maths every day for the last month. Had an all mighty sulk yesterday, met a mate for a quick beer and to remind myself why I am putting myself through all of this(he's just started on A320 and has stories to tell allready)spent the night trying to get to sleep but you know when your brain just wont turn off. Got up this morning, turned on the telly and guess what...bloody Thomsonfly advert, you have got to laugh.....sure a telephone call might have been better than an e-mail but these depts. are busy places and what seems to be the end of life as we know it because it is all that occupies our minds is I'm afraid not the be all and end all to those very busy guys and girls at Thomsonfly who are probably snowed under trying to tell us lot the bad news in addition to trying to sort the rest of the recruitment out, not a nice job.

Anyway, my reaction was then sod this! After turning the channel to BBC and scoffing down some toast I got in the car and motored to a local jump site. Walked up to the chief pilot, couldn't let me fly the big boy due to hours restriction 'but hold on a minute, we are getting a smaller one in soon and we need a pilot' I'm your man I say's you are indeed they say's and bobs your uncle. I know it's not TF at the moment but it's hours and it gets me back in the saddle. Smile back on face, Thomsonfly who? well not quite!

I realise some of you guys are more experienced and have been hunting longer than I have and I'm not trying to detract from the obvious dissapointment but we all need to keep going and get that job.

Good luck to those who got the e-mail and I hope we all laugh about this day in the future when we are all sat at Luton trying to sort out that the butler did it in the library with the bloody candlestick.

M

Rollerboy
6th Sep 2005, 21:22
blueb0y: I am with you in the call "chins up guys" it will happen if you try. However I disagree with your points about the company. Yes this is not the norm for other airlines but how many other jet airlines are currently outwardly hireing S/Os. Unfortuately its still not the norm for S/Os to walk into a job without paying bond or TR cash.

At least Thomsonfly have stated there may be a chance next year. Hang on in there all of those that applied, in 12 months time with a few extra hours under your belt you may just find yourselves on a Tfly B757 course to fill the gap created by pilots moving to the B737.

Rollerboy

blueb0y79
6th Sep 2005, 22:28
Rollerboy

Take a look around. I know of a few airlines who are recruiting low hour pilots even as direct first officers. I know that for a fact because i work for one ! But ill let you figure the others out for yourself ! More and more opportunities are arising for low houred guys. It's only a matter of time before they all start treating them with a little bit more respect.

So im sorry but you wont find me waiting until next year thank you very much !

BB

Rollerboy
6th Sep 2005, 22:51
blueb0y

Good to hear you have got something already. Still you can't go around beating down airlines that have recruited low hours pilots as S/Os just because the door has closed for 12+ months.

As for other airlines:
I have mates in Flybe hold pool they haven't heard from Flybe for months.
BA CitiExpress want 50 hrs flying in the last 12 months not to mention the possibility of some integrated vs modular hang up. First Choice and Monarch Loads of hours required.
Thomas Cook get on line they are looking. Great if you can be "introduced" by a guy already flying for them.
Jet 2 go to CTC.
Ryanair!
Easyjet go to CTC.
BMI admit i don't know.

I know it is hard to break into the world of aviation and I am sure most of us who go through training know this aswell. Just one message don't loose faith, the jobs are out there somewhere for low houred guys and gals.

Even if you have to wait a year as I did.

Rollerboy

boeingbus2002
7th Sep 2005, 10:14
The difference between FO and SO in TFly is just a name and that FOs are Unfrozen ATPLs.

So they have stopped the process for the moment, its a bit gutting yes, but then they will start again soon.

You could always try Ryanair! They always looking for mugs....erm I mean Pilots.:}

V2andSOME
7th Sep 2005, 10:47
Soon? I was told in spring of next year.:oh:

PPRuNeUser0215
7th Sep 2005, 11:12
V2andsome
If they can forsee when the door will shut, how can they forsee when it will re open? :) It could even happen tomorrow...

The difference between FO and SO in TFly is just a name and that FOs are Unfrozen ATPLs.

Not quite correct... It is experience related as well as licence related. To qualify as an FO (and get the payrise), you need 1500 hours TT, including 500 hours Jet or 1000 hours Turbine. Plus you also need an ATPL.

I agree what Tfly has just done isn't very nice but you guys should bear in mind that the industry is extremely dynamic so that kind of thing will take place or worse.
As a reminder how do you think it compares to the Virgin guys who got the boot when the Classics were disposed of. That wasn't done by seniority by the way.
How do you think the guys who had passed BA's selection prior to 911, were then told 2 years later (still waiting to be taken in) that their application had expired so they should reapply.

I can tell you though what Britannia did after 911.
Although I was a week from starting when 911 took place, I and others were terminated (in a similar fashion as the present case)but also we were given over £2000 to help us go on.
At no time any Britannia pilot was made redundant.
Those who had been made redundant (before joining), have all been kept in the pool and have now taken employment with this airline. None of that 2 years nonsense BA saw fit to apply.

Now that's what I call looking after your own!

rjay259
7th Sep 2005, 11:43
Hey

yes its not nice to get so far and then be told that the intake has now stopped. But it is business and they have do things that maybe not all of us like but they are doing what very few compinies are doing and that is openly saying we are taking low houred people.

As one door closes another will open, you just have to look for it.

good luck everyone

FLAPS 10-100
7th Sep 2005, 21:29
Devils,

Just wondering what your experience level was when you joined tfly. I am also 33 and did my stage 2 a couple of weeks ago. Bad news I didn't get the gig. I was told that i did not have enough experience even though I did well on the sim and the interview.

mattd2k
8th Sep 2005, 07:49
Flaps 10-100

Just out of interest, what experience do you have?

PM me if you lke.

Thanks

BAP
8th Sep 2005, 18:01
Hallo guys.

I appreciate your help..

Many thanks.
/BAP

davecr
9th Sep 2005, 15:25
Funny.. an Ab-Initio friend of mine still gets to go to the assesment on the 20th..

Apparently not everyone who received an invitation doesn't get to go..

shortcut_approved
16th Sep 2005, 10:18
Hello everyone,

Is there anyone out there who could direct me to any information regarding the company information for ThomsonFly, in particular the Management team, etc? I'm trying to prepare for a stage 2 assessment day and would like to be able to give an in-depth answer to "What do you know about ThomsonFly" And yes, I have tried scouring their website and on pprune for this information already!

Thanks a lot in advance,
Shortcut

ali1
16th Sep 2005, 11:50
Hi

I had a look at their press releases, but was not asked anything about company!!

Think of some life stories to answer the key events questions

All the best

Ali1

chinchaser
20th Sep 2005, 08:04
Guys,

just to echo Pilot Pete and Amex,

The unfortunate cancellation of selections days recently is purely down to having hit the required numbers as per experience. Yes we could fill every course with low hour'd S/O's but the impact on the experience level on the line would not be good.

Things are on hold for now and a few are still in the system, they lucked in so far, such, unfortunately is the nature of the beast.

But on the up side things will reopen and we are one of the few airlines to take S/O's directly, so you get paid properly unlike certain scheme's out there, plus the final salary pension is still open to new entrant pilots, allbeit after 5 years. Ok not high up the list right now but after a few years.....

All in all it is not nice to get pushed back when you hope "is this it?", but keep at it and it will happen.

One final thought sending sulky emails to an overworked HR is not the way ahead!!!!!!!! ;)

All the best

Chin.

Mister
21st Sep 2005, 14:44
So, for those people not successful after stage two, do they send you a letter or an E-mail???.

Thank you very much.

Regards to everyone.

Mister
21st Sep 2005, 18:08
So, for those people not successful after stage two, do they send you a letter or an E-mail???.

Thank you very much.

Regards to everyone.

Ducki
18th Oct 2005, 17:10
Ali1

Congratualtions on getting yourself hired, hope you line training goes ok at DSA, looking forward to seeing you back at CVT.

From the regulars at CAHL Ops :D

RMC
21st Oct 2005, 19:48
Just found out I have survived the first day.

Can anyone give me any info on day 2 esp interested in the sim and the curved balls they throw at you.

Thanks in advance

510orbust
22nd Oct 2005, 15:52
no curve balls, you will get the sim profile well in advance so you can study it to your hearts content and play with it on flight simulator.

Once finished the sim eval its off to the office for a shrink interview and an interview with someone from HR and usually a pilot.

Expect to hear pretty quick if you are sucessful, if it takes a week still dont panic as I know some that have got in but waited 7 days to hear

cognomultani
2nd Nov 2005, 07:58
Hi guys,does anybody has informations about Thomsonfly selection on
the B757 ????
Thank you

BAP
6th Nov 2005, 19:41
Hi all.

I’ve been searching here on Pprune, for some more detailed information concerning day two at Thomsonfly, but without any success.

I know that I am going to fly the sim, and that I will have an interview with a shrink and with somebody from the HR…

What I’m interested in, are mainly what questions they like to ask and what to expect at the interview with the shrink – Is it just a friendly chat, or can I expect to do different exercises?

What about the simulator, do they have any special questions which they like to ask, while you are flying?

This is my first airline interview as well as sim check, so I will appreciate all the help I can get.

Regards
BAP

Bukky
14th Jan 2006, 15:03
Hi, I'm up for T-fly day 2 assessment sometime soon, hopefully! Despite Shortcuts' comments in an earlier thread, I cannot find any details about the Sim' detail. Does anyone have the profile? Cheers! Bukky.

ali1
14th Jan 2006, 15:26
Hi mate,

Thay should have given you the profile at day 1

Phone and ask them to send it to you

Ali1

Bukky
15th Jan 2006, 07:00
Thanks ali, will chase it up first thing on Monday.

shortcut_approved
15th Jan 2006, 09:12
Hi Bukky,

Since PPrune has recently changed format, and I've gone searching for the old threads, it would seem that they've got lost somewhere. The Britannia/Thomsonfly assessments were previously very well documented. As that's not the case now, I'll give you a quick summary!

Stage 2:

Sim-assessment. Either on 737 or 757 depending on availability I think. First or Second Officers have an easier time in the sim, watching the instructors demonstrate a Clacton 6B SID from LTN. Then you get a few minutes general handling before vectors for ILS 26. Then you do two more SIDS and ILS. All raw-data, no flight-directors, etc. A few general airmanship questions thrown in just when the going gets a bit tough!

HR/Pilot Interview. A pretty relaxed 2-on-1 interview. No nasty tricks that I can recall. Basically trying to get to know you, and see how you'd fit in. A few "give an example of......" questions, for things like "had a confrontation" or "went beyond the call of duty"

Aviation Psychologist Interview. I think this varies enormously from person to person. Questions are probably based on answers you gave on your Personality Profile Questionnaire back at Stage 1. I've heard different stories about the interviewer, from being quite nasty and antagonistic, to being as nice as anything! At all times I think the key is to remain unflustered and friendly.

Anyways, hope this helps, it's a shame the old threads appear to have been lost in the change-over or something, some posts were really detailed. Maybe the mods can look into this?
Cheers,
Shortcut

BAP
15th Jan 2006, 09:55
Hi Shortcut_approved and Bukky.

Shortcut_approved-

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I am also waiting for the second stage assessment, and have done so for quit a while now.
Regarding the sim assessment you say that we can expect to be asked a few general airmanship questions. Can you give some examples?

Bukky. –
Have you heard any news about when we can expect to attend the last part the selection?

Kind regards
BAP

Elixir
15th Jan 2006, 12:04
Bukky and BAP

Would you mind telling us what experience you have?

Thanks!

Bukky
16th Jan 2006, 07:09
Thanks Shortcut_approved, Much appreciated.
BAP; No, no dates yet, only "Sometime in the New Year" i.e. this year.
Elixir+ all ; Sure, I will try and remember all the details and post them ASAP, but don't hold your breath. As you can see I don't have any dates yet. Cheers Bukky.

shortcut_approved
16th Jan 2006, 13:25
General Airmanship sort of stuff like, we're at 3000', what distance do you think we'll intercept the glideslope at. Or, at 5 DME, as a rule-of-thumb, what altitude would you expect to be at? Nothing tricky or taxing, but diverting your attention away from flying the plane....so be aware!

Cheers,
Shortcut

747 Downwind
17th Jan 2006, 11:01
shortcut_approved said it pretty much how it is:

What they are looking for is IMPROVEMENT and an ability to take on new info. Very similar to how the RAF/RN Fleet Arm Pilapt assessments are based. You get three goes at the profile so by the third make sure it's nice and smooth. It is an easy profile but I feel precision is the key (IR limit flying and beyond.. i.e: very accurate height/heading/speed keeping).

On the glide intercept when selecting Flap 15 watch out for the balloon. They will brief you accordingly but if you fail to check that lift three times in a row.. I think you get my point.

In answer to shortcut's point.. 300' per nm works perfectly on a 3 degree glide, thus 5d equates to 1500' aal.

The interview is a bit of a strange one:confused: . A guy called localiser green did an extensive post regarding BA selection and the interview is very similar to Thomson so do a search on that.

Good Luck, A good company with great conditions
747 Downwind:ok:

Wanabeepilot
13th Apr 2006, 19:14
Hi everybody,
I'm invited to a pilot selection process for Thomsonfly soon, I was wondering if anyone of you had detailed info about their criterias and tests. Thanks in advance.

Wanabeepilot
14th Apr 2006, 09:58
Hi everybody,

I'm invited to a Thomsonfly (TUI) interview soon. I was wondering if anyone of you guys could give me detailed infos about this selection process (criterias, tests...). Whatever could help me to prepare myself a little bit. Thank you in advance and nice flights to everyone...

wings87
14th Apr 2006, 10:48
Hi Wanabee,
1st day is verbal and numerical reasonning exercises, try to be fast and give the right answer from what I heard.
I think that afternoon is group exercise: don't be to involved neither to shy!!You will be observed by 3 different people and It will be a group of 5 at least.

If Ok 1st day, Sim on 2nd day + interview with psychologist....

That's all I know. I was supposed to get an interview too but haven't heard anything yet, could you please let me know when did you apply and for what position: Capt Fo or So position?
Thanks to let me know and good luck for the interview!:ok:

Wanabeepilot
14th Apr 2006, 14:07
Hi wings87,
first thank you for this info. Actually, I don't have yet a confirmation for an appointment but I apply for F/O position as I'm 737 type rated without experience on aircraft. Indeed I'm also curious about your profile and if you have already a confirmed appointment on a specified date. Let's keep eachothers informed.

ali1
16th Apr 2006, 10:05
Hi there,

For a position of FO you need 1500 hours so if you don't have that you may want to re-apply for SO. Also, I'm sure you'll have to do the type rating again!!!

Ali1

Pilot Pete
16th Apr 2006, 14:19
For a position of FO you need 1500 hours so if you don't have that you may want to re-apply for SO.

He never said he didn't have 1500hrs.....;)

PP

wingbar
18th Apr 2006, 09:20
Does anybody know whats going on regarding S/O positions at Thomsonfly?
Are they likely to be recruiting again soon?

Pilot Pete
18th Apr 2006, 10:33
Does anybody know whats going on regarding S/O positions at Thomsonfly?
Are they likely to be recruiting again soon? I know a couple of people who have been called forward for S/O selection in the coming weeks.

PP

Mr Wonka
18th Apr 2006, 16:55
I thought that Thomsonfly didnt except any application forms in paper format, only on line :confused: So which is the prefered format ?

Mr W

:)

Pilot Pete
18th Apr 2006, 19:16
I thought that Thomsonfly didnt except any application forms in paper format, only on line :confused: So which is the prefered format ?
Mr W
:)
I would have thought a quick phone call to Luton, or read of the website would get you a RELIABLE answer to that question.:ok:

scroggs
19th Apr 2006, 08:00
'Search' is a very powerful tool:

Terms and Endearments Results (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=218831)

Wannabes Results (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=218834)

59 threads is a good start.

Scroggs

Edit: Bugger! You used to be able to post search results, but it seems it's now no longer possible. So: go to 'search' at the top of the page. Click on 'Advanced Search'. In there, put 'Thomsonfly' in the search dialogue, select 'titles only', then make sure it's set to find posts from up to a year old (the default is one month) and, in the window of forum titles, ctrl-click on Terms and Endearments and Wannabes - Interviews Jobs and Sponsorships. Then click 'search now'. That should get you the 59 threads!

Mr Rotorvator
8th May 2006, 20:07
Hi Wanabee

I'm in the same boat, but have just got my dates to choose from. Any news on the process so far?

I'll post what I get from my contacts, but I heard that the maths test at the beginning is somewhat challenging...love those sums!

Rotorvator

scroggs
8th May 2006, 21:56
Amazing what a search brings up!

Scroggs

jets62
12th May 2006, 20:27
Hi there all,

Spoke to Denise Nash of ThompsonFly today. Lovely Lady. Apparently low time pilots have been accepted, no truth to the rumor that candidates need a 737 type rating - or else, nor is it for a pool any longer.

Good Luck.

merlindriver
15th May 2006, 11:17
Hello everybody,

Can anybody give me any information on the interview that thomsonfly do?
What do they ask you? What is the interview with the psychologist?

Thank you for the help.

DeltaT
15th May 2006, 14:34
Yes you can write to HR and ask where you went wrong in the selection process, and yes they will write back. However, having asked for it myself, they don't give you the specifics you are wanting, other than to re-iterate that you did not meet their criteria.

slow_bird1
23rd May 2006, 08:01
Any one else going to the selection day this thursday 25th? Has any one got any latest information as to format of the day what to expect etc

many thanks

SB1

ChocksAwayUK
23rd May 2006, 08:59
Slow_bird1 - lots of information here if you do a search. Look particularly in Terms & Endearment and remember to extend search to beyond last month (default) and to search on Britannia as well as TFly. Format hasn't changed for years.

And from my personal experience I'd advise getting pretty slick at the maths elements (adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing fractions. Long division & multiplication. Rearranging formulae. Brush up on times tables - particularly the trickier ones, 7x & 8x) Time was an issue for me and if I'd been quicker I'd have got 40/40 rather than the 35 or 36/40 I think I got.

wings87
23rd May 2006, 10:59
Hi Slow bird1!

Same, brush up your basics maths that will help to gain precious time...
Please let me know if you are called for FO or SO position , what kind of experience do you have, as I got an email that I should be contacted sometime soon??

Good luck:ok:

speedy688
24th May 2006, 09:23
I'll be there on Thursday. Can't really say much more on the format of the day other than what you will have found on here. The verbal reasoning stuff sounds interesting!

arn3696
2nd Jun 2006, 22:07
Hi guys,

I have an interview with ThomsonFly next week and I was just wondering if anybody had any words of advice as its my first airline interview.

Thanks chaps,

Chris

avrodamo
3rd Jun 2006, 00:18
I take it you mean you have first stage? Well.....as far as advice goes get your head in some GCSE Maths books imparticular long multiplication and divsion, linear equations and fractions. Verbal reasoning tests a bit tight on time. Group exercise is where you can shine. I quite enjoyed it on the day which i was surprised about. It's not as bad as it seems!:)

virtualaviation
3rd Jun 2006, 15:22
ThomsonFly must be on a major recruitment spree at the moment as we had three different ThomsonFly candidates book simualtor practice sessions yesterday. For a bit of advice regarding the interview you might want to try contacting Steve Freeman at http://www.futureairlinepilot.com

Good luck!

Just another student
3rd Jun 2006, 15:47
I applied about 3 weeks ago. I know a few people in the airline, as I have previously worked for them, but still not a sniff of an interview :ugh: I must have been really bad at my job lol :)

I will keep my fingers crossed, but I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Well done on getting an interview, there are loads of topics knocking around regarding the tfly interview process. It would appear that the verbal reasoning test is a little tricky.

Good luck :ok:

JAS

arn3696
3rd Jun 2006, 17:54
Thanks guys,

What kind of things are you asked in the verbal reasoning section?

Bob Fleming
3rd Jun 2006, 18:39
Hi

I've been searching these forums for old posts on the britannia/thomsonfly first day tests and have found some bits of info. A couple of the guys refer to a thread called 'Good news' which supposedly covers the process. I can't find this having trawled thru the archive, wondering if anyone out there can. Got assessment later this month. thanks. any info appreciated

Bob.

EGPE
8th Jun 2006, 14:05
Have got the dreaded assesment day next week, never been to one before. Is there a strict pass fail mark eg 75% for the exams or are they just looking for an overall picture of you during the day?

blue up
11th Jun 2006, 08:38
If anyone Reeeealy gets stuck for a bit of T-FLY knowledge then you could e-mail me (9 years on the 757/767 fleet) at [email protected]. Mark it as "attn Fred"
I'm off work for the next 5 days, but don't all e-mail me at once!!!

As for the maths bit, remember that we still get a flightlog with times between waypoints, where we have to start with T/O time and then add the subsequent minutes and arrive with the correct landing time.
ie T/O at 12:47....plus 6 mins=12:53....plus 5 mins= etc etc. You should try getting random numbers between 1 and 59 and adding them up in your head as fast as possible. CSE used to have a 1 hour session of this each morning when I was there.

Anyone fancy generating a computer programme for this and posting it?

acrobat
12th Jun 2006, 17:55
At last my fellow pilots!!!! I've just received an invitation for an assessment with Thomsonfly.
I did some research, looking at past threads, and the only thing I've found was an example of what kind of mathematics i should expect during day 1.
Could anyone shed some light on the " english " part of the exam? Is it a bit like the on at BA? where you're given like 15 texts and after each one they ask 4 questions and you have to answer if it's true, false, or not enough elements to answer?
During the interview do they ask tech questions? Will ACE prepare for your technical interview be enough? What type fo other questions do they ask at that stage?

Thank you in advance for your help:)

Jinkster
12th Jun 2006, 19:22
Before Mr Scroggs gets hold of you - have you done a search? :eek:

Bob Fleming
13th Jun 2006, 10:09
acrobat what do you mean by ACE?

ps i'm in the same boat as acrobat, so any info much appreciated..thanks

boeingbus2002
13th Jun 2006, 10:42
Ace the Technical Pilot Interview - Gary Bristow

A book which the title is self explanatory! Although some mistakes have been noted. A search will show you..!:ok:

Bob Fleming
13th Jun 2006, 10:47
i've just ordered and received 'GMAT for dummies' which seems to have some very relevant stuff for the verbal reasoning test. ordered on amazon for £7 from the States and took about 4 days to get here.

Bob

ali1
13th Jun 2006, 11:58
Hi there,

The interview at tfly has no technical questions in it. All of the qustions are regarding to situations you have been in.

EG can you tell us when you have been in a situation of conflict and how you have dealt with it??

I got some interview training and it really helped me give structure to my answers.

Ali1

acrobat
14th Jun 2006, 07:25
thank you all for your frank answers.

But what about the verbal reasoning in english?

PS: yes I had used the search function before starting this thread, and the reason why I am still puzzled about the verbal reasoning part of the assessment is that I cannot find anything relevent to it.

thank you

fitforflight
15th Jun 2006, 12:44
Hi acrobat,

I would not worry about the english part too much. It is the style of questions you quoted earlier. I passed the test and english is not my first language.

Could anybody out there give me any information about the interview contents of the final stage, please?

rjay259
26th Jun 2006, 16:20
Hi all,

As ali1 said the interview is all about you and what you have done,
There are no technical questions in the interview at all, but i was asked about how I did a preflight check on an aircraft, so I went into a bit of detail.

Its only about what you have done so if you havent flown a big jet dont worry, they dont expect you to be knowlegeable about a 737 or 75/76.

It was rather relaxed but remember its an interview. They are not there to trick you or find a weakness they do want to know about you.

The verbal test is very much like acrobat said and to be truthful i found some of the questions really absurd. They are very psyco bable questions as im sure everyone has looked at some where along the line.

The sim test takes some getting used to as long as you show the capability to learn and demonstrate that you can put into practice what you have been told the sim wont be a problem.

I have been in the company for eight months now and its just a buzz to be driving into the staff carpark. Let alone being allowed to fly the jets.

I wish you all the best of luck, ask questions if you would like to.

Best regards

1800-how'smyflying
27th Jun 2006, 07:11
Acrobat, whats your level of experience?

The Tfly website says:

"First Officers wishing to apply must have 1500 hours total time to include either 500 hours jet experience or 1000 turbo hours. 737/757 Type Rated First Officers may apply with a minimum of 300 hours line experience."

World of Tweed
27th Jun 2006, 19:24
The website does say that but the company is recruiting low-houred guys and Girls. Primarily sourced from either FTE or CTC but it won't hurt to send an application in even if you don't meet the criteria.

all the Best

WOT

EGBKFLYER
28th Jun 2006, 05:26
World of Tweed (great name btw!) is correct as far as I know. A TF captain gave me the same message a couple of weeks ago.

kd2473
28th Jun 2006, 18:07
Any lowdown anyone can give me on the interview process on this one? From what I've read there's a nightmare maths paper, some verbal reasoning and loads of psychometric tests... Any specific details would be gratefully received!
Good luck to anyone going along!

Bob Fleming
28th Jun 2006, 18:30
i can say that there is no interview in stage 1, only the tests that you mentioned. there is stuff on the tests if you do a search, but only bits and pieces.

rgds

windshear-a-head
28th Jun 2006, 18:58
Can the T-fly threads not be consolidated? As thread number 3 has now arrived on page 1, ALL asking more or less the same question!

Gaylord Fokker
13th Jul 2006, 06:14
Hi there,

I know it has been asked before and I spent a lot of time going throug the threads.... somehow I still can't imagine what the numerical and analytical tests at the first stage of thomsonfly interview look like. Going through the thomsonfly threads I got the impression that it really is a good place to be, so I would be more than glad to receive some useful hints!

Thank you very much!!!

Gaylord Fokker
13th Jul 2006, 08:21
ok.... found something finally :O
I would still be happy to receive additional hints (books, websites...)

thanks!!

Fly Better!
16th Jul 2006, 10:41
Has anyone heard about people getting 'chopped' from the initial training at Tfly, ie. the 737 type rating course or maybe when on line training? I was told that they set very high standards and are quick to axe pilots.

It sounds a bit unlikely that they would be any worse than any other company but I would be interested to hear anyhow.

World of Tweed
16th Jul 2006, 19:03
Fly Better....

It's a little early to be talking about being Chopped don't you think?? Not perhaps the preferred mindset to be going into an assessment with.

It is an extremely rare occurrance but yes, it has happened recently.

I personally don't think it is appropriate to discuss this any further here or to say much more on the subject other than Tfly, like any airline doesn't take the decision lightly and provides extra training where needed.

Fly Better!
16th Jul 2006, 20:02
LOL sorry if I sounded negative, I was just trying to get a feel for the company and to get a second opinion on whether Tfly are just a normal company or 'hatchet' men as they were described to me recently.

I tend to take all such comments with a pinch of salt anyhow, Tfly would be my employer of choice .... if I had a choice ;)

Airborne16
20th Jul 2006, 13:00
A lot of things going on at Luton today. Probably about 25 people here for assesment etc

finalglide
31st Jul 2006, 13:45
Hi I have a selection day with TFLY coming up I hear that the group ex has gone and is replaced by a pilot question and answer, has anyone got any info on what is asked ? Many thanks and Im back off to the books
FG

windshear-a-head
31st Jul 2006, 13:53
As far as i'm aware its YOUR chance to ask a tfly line pilot general things about the company i.e rostering, promotion all the usual stuff.

It hasn't been replaced, it was on the original day one selection that included the group exercise.

WSAH

Northern Highflyer
1st Aug 2006, 12:47
The only change is that the group exercise has been dropped from the stage one process. Everything else is as it was.

SpamCanDriver
18th Aug 2006, 22:18
Hi Im supposed to be starting my conversion course on the 757 on 4th sept with Thomsonfly, but just got a txt from my mate in Thomson that they had heard there was a recruitment freeze? :ooh: I have just got all the course details and hotel bookings etc, So im hoping they have just got it wrong as I have already Ive only got a week left with my current company and have almost got rid of my house etc! So this would be very bad news!
Anyone else heard this? Hopefully my mate is very wrong!!!!!!:ugh:

737atlast
19th Aug 2006, 10:37
Hi,

Your mate is right. Hopefully you will be ok.

737atlast

thomsonfly69
19th Aug 2006, 12:02
Yeah all of us had an email stating they need to save money before the end of the tax year. I assumed the email was mainly referring to 'office based' roles and we wouldn't be affected. But we'll see i guess:ugh:

Aviation kid
19th Aug 2006, 18:07
I wonder what that means for us Thomson fly cadets in Jerez with only 6 weeks of training left???:sad: :( :{

Jinkster
19th Aug 2006, 20:23
Think they over recruited last year and some of us got binned before interview!!!

At least they not running the country :E

Mister-Sheep
19th Aug 2006, 20:58
I wonder if this is related to the recent security alerts...

If so, it should start to die down a bit. Give it a few months and it will all be forgotten about. Hopefully thomsonfly froze their recruitment due to the uncertainty of the security situation and how it would effect them. However, this doesnt help people like spamcandriver. Well have to just hope.

Mister-Sheep

dartagnan
19th Aug 2006, 21:52
I got the same problem with another airline in europe(not UK), froze everything for 3-4 months.this sucks!

Pilot Pete
20th Aug 2006, 01:50
Think they over recruited last year and some of us got binned before interview!!!

Don't know where you got that idea from. If we over recruited last year then we wouldn't have been recruiting at the rate we have been thus far this year.:rolleyes:

I wonder if this is related to the recent security alerts...
That and many other factors, like firstly bookings being down considerably due to;

1. Fantastic weather for the first half of the summer here in the UK.
2. The World Cup. People didn't book holidays until England went out.
3. The security issue causing immense hassle for air travellers, hence many decided to not bother and go to the likes of Centre Parks instead.

This is a problem for all Inclusive Tour operators. TUI UK have decided that in order to try to still meet profit targets they need to try to cut costs, hence spending has been stopped and everything has to be authorised by the Finance Director.

If you haven't signed a contract then there is a strong chance that they will make you wait.

PP

F.O.E.
20th Aug 2006, 20:15
Course 48 (Thomson fly approved course) got told this morning that they would be put in the holding pool but they wouldn't be needed in the near future...... and they are free to apply to other companies. As for the other two courses out here nothing has been said to them and it looks as if they are still going to send the course in november.

talking to the guys (& gal) on C48 there position with Thomson has been up in the air for the last couple of weeks.... so I think its more of an internal thing rather than a reaction to the terrorist thing.

flyingonempty

SpamCanDriver
21st Aug 2006, 10:03
Spoke to HR they said all courses are going ahead! :D So I guess if youre like me and already signed a Contract a couple of months ago and got a course date youre course will still be going ahead!
Im so glad I dont have to go back to Ryanair and ask for my job back! :=
Even more now that the ever reliable source of sky news says the 737 is unsafe :rolleyes:

windshear-a-head
21st Aug 2006, 18:10
phew, that is good news, my start date is toward the end of sept, but the ink was dry a long time ago on the contract!!:ok:

driftedcheesehehe
22nd Aug 2006, 23:59
Just a theory here,

No more pilots required at the moment as the summer season is over. Come Feb, industry will be getting ready again and getting guys t/r ed and wanting courses to finish.

Any one thinking the same or is it just me?

Drifted

EGCC4284
23rd Aug 2006, 10:12
driftedcheesehehe

?????? I don't know what you are getting at. Please explain.

CPL_Ace
23rd Aug 2006, 10:48
Taking it EZY
I heard that TFly have a new set of 737s on the way. Arrival dates are sketchy, between Dec and Mar but they are already a number of CREWS short so they're not surely going to wait until next year to worry about it? The'll be too busy again to train........

EGCC4284
23rd Aug 2006, 11:02
CPL_Ace

They have ordered 5 new 737s and getting rid of 4 aircraft, 2 737s and 2 767s I think. The extra seating capacity within the company is only going up by less than a 100. Cannot remember the exact figures but I am sure Pilot Pete may be able to help us on this point.

As for anyone who is in the hold pool and not happy with waiting, my friend went into the hold pool this time last year and was in there for 6 months. Its well worth the wait. I would gladly be in the Tfly holding pool for 12 months knowing how much a good company it is.

Would anyone in there swimming like to swap places

CPL_Ace
23rd Aug 2006, 14:22
Thanks for that - I heard 8 new 737s but we still can't ignore the shortages in crew this summer. The holding pool isn't covering it. A friend of mine is just starting a TR on 737 and he was nowhere near the holding pool (honest guv!)

I think the future is bright!!

windshear-a-head
23rd Aug 2006, 21:01
anyone know what type of 73's on the way and where they are going??

driftedcheesehehe
23rd Aug 2006, 22:58
Hi all,

What I was getting at earlier was that there is no point in the company spending however much it is to get type ratings at the moment when they are approaching a time of low income when pax are less. Come spring, the industry will be getting ready for the busy summer season.

The're would be no point in shelling out 2ok+ and having pilots on the payroll that you dont have any flights to fly. Come spring when they will need more pilots, they will start employing and type rating.

I think..........err

Drifted

gonso
24th Aug 2006, 01:22
Guys, I now this can be VERY FRUSTRATING, but don't worry. All these freezes and holding pools have historically been very short lived.

The 737s on the way are 3 733s and 2 738s (or the other way around, can't remember).

Hang in there. Be patient. (Not easy I know)

The company is currently running for 1st place on the kneejerk reaction championships. (Very close race between Tfly and Airport security):ugh:

(PS , I heard a rumor today that the Jerez guys have been offered cabin crew positions temporarily. Is this true?)

Nigel Croker
24th Aug 2006, 08:10
another rumor going around is that tui have been having cosy chats with Philip Meeson (jet2), and will soon be aquiring a large number of 73/75 rated pilots.

Discuss

yeoman
24th Aug 2006, 08:22
Good theory Drifted but it misses by some margin! The Winter Season demand for crew is probably as high. The long haul programme is sizeable and crew hungry, there is a load of recurrent training to get through and other training too (seen as unproductive by certain numpties as it doesn't have people actually flying jets) and then there is the Haj. Granted that essentially takes some airframes out of the system but it takes probably more than its fair share of crew as well.

Gonso is right: It won't be long before things move again. Every company does this, gets all excited and expands in a new direction, trips over its own d##k in the rush to do it all yesterday, takes a deep breath and then requires all emplyees to put in a triplicate request for every tea bag. The next phase is a surplus of tea bags and an outbreak of common sense.:E

We have a new MD who has to satisfy those who have put faith in him. He has put the brakes on expenditure for the reasons Pete outlined and all the mini managers are busy running around preparing tea bag proformae. Some of the directives of the last week or so are embarassing and would be funny if it wasn't screwing so many people around and not just pilots.:ugh:

So, a periodic convulsion, yes it's not been a brilliant year but actually they are trying to protect the forecasted profit figure which is reasonably healthy. A late run of poor weather in the next few weeks would be enough to change sales and ease the panic so don't go selling the farm!:ok:

Spam Can & Co. See you on the 5th. I'll be the one standing at the front of the class. Welcome.

yeoman
24th Aug 2006, 08:25
Nigel:

That has been doing the rounds for a while as has a similar one re Ashtrays R Us. I believe it is more an airframe issue.:suspect:

In recent years we have had a slack handful of guys from FCA/Air2K over the winter on a temp basis to prop up numbers over the Haj. It may be that.

nuclear weapon
24th Aug 2006, 12:44
I have checked thomsonfly's website and could not get the link for recieving thier web applications (for flight crew).The only ones there was for cabin crew. I was wondering if anyone has applied and can post the link here or if its a postal address .

PAPI-74
24th Aug 2006, 13:10
???it's gone.
Probably being re-done as the pages overlapped when you printed it off, or they have had enough paper sent in, the Fire Officer has told them to take it off untill they clear the mound of forms.

potkettleblack
24th Aug 2006, 13:55
I thought it was a bit rich that they expect so much from our cv's, cover letter etc yet their application form was absolutely woeful and clearly wasn't checked by anyone before being thrown onto the website.

Troy McClure
25th Aug 2006, 10:59
I sent off the paper form this week - downloaded it a few weeks back and didn't get round to filling it out, or rather didn't get round to reformatting and respacing it so it printed out something fill-innable with room to write answers. Some of it still a mess after I'd finished with it, but hope good enough. Someone should tell Thomson about .pdf files....

More worryingly, there were two addresses on it, one at the top saying:

Please return completed application form to: Thomsonfly, HR Department - Pilot Recruitment, Wigmore House, Wigmore Place, Wigmore Lane, Luton, Beds

and at the bottom it said:

RETURN THIS FORM PROMPTLY TO: Thomsonfly, HR Department – Pilot Recruitment, Britannia House, London Luton Airport, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU2 9ND.

Which one's correct???

I sent to the latter because it had a postcode. Also found more references to the that address when I searched online for other miscellaneous Thomson job vacancies and things.

Expecting it to get binned anyway to be honest, seeing as the link on the website has been removed.

Troy.

Troy McClure
25th Aug 2006, 11:02
Oh, and for God's sake, if you send an application form to this or any other airline in an A4 type envelope, don't just stick a regular 1st class stamp on it.

Excess postage to pay is a sure fire way to get it binned before the postman's even left the premises.

EGCC4284
25th Aug 2006, 11:17
Troy

The correct address is

Thomsonfly, HR Department - Pilot Recruitment, Wigmore House, Wigmore Place, Wigmore Lane, Luton, Beds

I believe all recruitment is on hold at the moment

Troy McClure
25th Aug 2006, 11:24
So I picked the wrong one. Isn't that just b:mad: typical......

If recruitment's on hold, probably makes little difference. Might even help having my form kicking round the wrong office for a bit. By the time it gets to the right place, they might have started recruiting again. Yeah, right.....

Troy.

CPL_Ace
25th Aug 2006, 12:54
I sent mine to Wigmore house (which is definately the correct one) they sit on a pile on a lady's (I forget her name) desk. It's definately worth giving her a call in a few days to ask if she has it. A silly thing but she may fish it out and then just throw it on the top of the pile. At very least you'll know it got there and your name will be in her head.

PAPI-74
25th Aug 2006, 17:40
I really can't be bothered to fill out that size of form, knowing that there are at least 50 a week landing on top of it. The same with the CTC form, although I hear they can't get enough to top up their pool/small puddle. I am going instructing till the Spring for a rest from all of this applying. Do PM me if you do get an interview. Be nice to know.

Aviation kid
25th Aug 2006, 21:51
Gonso,

The rumour you heard isn't true; we have not been offered cabin crew positions temporarily.

AK.

gonso
26th Aug 2006, 01:05
Thanx AK for that :ok:

stansdead
26th Aug 2006, 12:16
From todays' TIMES newspaper:

" TUI, the German travel and shipping group behind Thomson Holidays, is facing growing pressure, following a surprise profit warning, to split itself in two or replace it's top management, including Chief Executive Michael Frenzel."

Let's hope that with the current downturn in summer bookings and other "world gone mad" terrorism and security threats that TUI haven't done their bo11ocks.

This is definitely the toughest Summer in years. Just wait for how bad Winter bookings will be........

CPL_Ace
26th Aug 2006, 12:45
Sure the terrorist threat had an impact on the summer but the main problem (as usual) was the bloody weather. Unless we get a freak hammering of snow, a large volcano eruption creating something more than a mole hill for people to ski on or a ridiculosly hot December, surely winter will be a normal one?
Maybe those who forgot to go on holiday this summer will come to their senses.....

Troy McClure
26th Aug 2006, 16:21
Got the standard e-mail from Thomsonfly saying no recruitment at the moment, but will keep app on file for 6 months. At least it found its way to the right person.

CTC form is worth filling out though. ;)

Airborne16
26th Aug 2006, 18:44
I Work For Thomson. All Recruitment Is Frozen Indefinitiely. Sorry To Be The Bearer Of Bad News But It Aint Pretty In Head Office. Redundancies A Plenty In All Areas. A Back Office Review Is In Place That Is Cutting Existing Staff In Every Area.

wingbar
27th Aug 2006, 10:04
Another set of time wasters
WB

Pilot Pete
27th Aug 2006, 10:45
Poor old wingbar. You need some counselling for that attitude, please don't jump of Beachy Head, call the Samaritans about your 'hard luck story'.

Think I am being harsh? Here are a few nuggets from the man himself.

1) Presently got the whole f***** lot, cpl/ir/mcc/fi

2) Now doing the instructor bit,

3) Now well in excess of 600 tt

4) No airline job in sight,

5) Feel eternally trapped as an FI and under paid entirely

6) I am now on the edge of bankruptcy

7) I have no money for a TR....NOR SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY FOR ONE after spending for the whole lot mentioned above...

8) The one company I was recruited for keeps telling lies....

8) Should I just give in and do something else with my time....

9) I may aswell paint my bum blue and walk around the streets, it would give me a better paid and more rewarding job! Tell BALPA they can stick it up their arse Be thick as 2 short planks, fat and hopeless That fat bastards a liar as well that runs the place... Don't bother work hard and become a doctor A set of liars, DD the biggest culprit, don't believe a word they say .... Still tossers that want more money though, lets say, for fat peoples TR's??? Don't become a pilot....its really bad................very very bad Funny thing is, I think the recruiters are doing a reasonable job, because with that attitude I am glad they are keeping pilots like you out of the right seat.:rolleyes:

Now for the rest of you, it's called business. In the ideal world it would all be rosy and employers would make millions and the staff would all be happy and new joiners would get their debts paid off on day one. Unfortunately, market forces get in the way of the rosy plan and force companies to make decisions that just about everyone but them thinks is too harsh/ unfair/ badly timed/ unnecessary/ whatever........

Fact is the market has slipped and this has been the worst summer for years for the package holiday companies. This from the Times online:http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9070-2323383.html

TUI 'set for boardroom cull'
By Rhys Blakely

Shares in TUI, the German group that operates Thomson Holidays in the UK, rose today on reports the tourism and shipping group is set to dismiss two management board members after profits plunged in the second quarter.

Eric Debry, who heads the company’s Western European tourism business, is said to be under particular pressure after poor performances in the division – particularly in France in the wake of last year’s riots, which dramatically hit air travel between France and its former colonies.

Sebastian Ebel, whose responsibilities include TUI’s online business, was also named by Handelsblatt, the German daily, as potential target for a boardroom cull designed to restore investors’ faith.

TUI refused to comment on the reports when contacted by Times Online.

Earlier this month, TUI reported a sharp fall in net second-quarter profits, down to €38.8 million from €149.0 a year earlier. Earnings before interest, tax and appreciation fell to €89 million from €204 million.

In morning deals in Germany, shares in TUI were €0.36 or 2.45 per cent higher at €15.06, while the DAX 30 index was up 30.77 points or 0.53 per cent at 5,825.60.

Today’s Handelsblatt story follows similar suggestions in the trade press in recent weeks.

However, analysts questioned whether TUI, the largest tourism and services group in the world, employing 80,000 people, was targeting the right executives to trigger a turnaround.

Equinet, the broker, said in a note: "Dr Michael Frenzel [chief executive] and Mr Rainer Feuerhake [chief finance officer] are accountable for the problems of TUI in Tourism and Shipping [and] consequently, these two should take responsibility, in our view," it said.

"Mr Sebastian Ebel seems to be [being made] a scapegoat."

According to reports, TUI will decide on the matter next week, where it will also discuss the merger of its Hapagfly and HLX airlines.

And this from a few days earlier:

First Choice shrugs off worries overshadowing holiday shares
By Nick Hasell

THIS week’s collapse of Tapestry Holidays and Travel World International, the independent holiday groups, has made for nervous trading in MyTravel and First Choice Holidays, the FTSE 250 tour operators.
According to Travel Weekly magazine, airport security alerts “could be the final nail in the coffin for the worst summer package holiday trading conditions in 30 years”, with more than one million trips left unsold. Further jitters are likely to be created by the revelation of an internal memo from the chief executive of Thomas Cook UK shortly before last week’s foiling of an alleged terrorist plot. Manny Fontenla-Novoa described the market as terrible and said that the company’s performance for this summer “still hangs in the balance”, adding: “We are still way below where we need to be.”

Experts reckon that a combination of the World Cup, hot weather at home and now security alerts has left the big four — TUI, MyTravel, Thomas Cook and First Choice — with 900,000 unsold summer holidays. Increased fuel costs have added to the woes. First Choice, which is not due to give a trading update until late October, shrugged off the fears yesterday, rising 7¾p to 216¼p as a block of two million shares changed hands at 211¼p. MyTravel held steady at 205p, with the FTSE 250 up 26.4 to 9,513.0.

So the fact is that the market is not as good as it was before the summer started and decisions have had to be made, one of which is TUI recruitment stopping. So I think it puts wingbar's erudite Another set of time wasters observation in the place where it should be; an uneducated, simplistic, pathetic opinion born out of resentment for an industry which he obviously never researched fully before he signed his life savings (and more) away to.

PP

scroggs
27th Aug 2006, 13:02
Yes, wingbar you are chasing the wrong career. With your attitude, you are unlikely ever to find a job flying a commercial aircraft.

Scroggs

yeoman
27th Aug 2006, 16:53
Reckon we had a good result there Pete, could have ended up on either fleet so one of us would have been landed with him.:ugh:

nuclear weapon
27th Oct 2006, 13:48
I checked thomsonfly's website this morning and they said they are currrentlly recruiting flight crews and followed the link however it led to nothing or they've hidden it somewhere where it cant be found.
Will any of you guys who have been rejected or sucessfull with them post the appropriate link here.
Its worth giving them a try. And does anyone know why flybe are currently delaying thier launch of their online app form. My guess is the age requirements they are going to be forced to do away with. I am pretty sure on the new for they will most likely ask for when you got your college degree if you have any and take it to be an average age of 24/25.

SinBin
19th Jan 2007, 10:17
Apparently they're recruiting FO/SOs, but according to PPJN you need a TR, anyone know what's happening here and whether they'll be taking newbies on without a TR?

TurboJ
19th Jan 2007, 10:44
From their website:

Type Rated Second Officers Only
If you are a Second Officer and have a current B737 or B757/767 type rating and a minimum of 250 hours on type we will be pleased to accept an application from you provided you meet all of the above criteria with the exception of the 1500 hours total time specification.

If you do not have a current type rating and hours on type we regret that we are not able to accept an application from you.

Rene Pedersen
19th Jan 2007, 17:16
They will for the time being not be taking any low-houred, non-typerated pilots on as they cost to much to train and the training department have been ordered to cut costs. So much for pilots not beeing affected of the uk cut-downs. :ugh:

rjay259
20th Jan 2007, 18:54
Guys,

Seriously just cause it says type rating prefered dont mean you have to have one.
When i joined i had a tr but they still put me through one anyway.
Go for it even if they say not this time keep trying.
Give it a go.

259:E

mungo_55
20th Jan 2007, 21:04
Hmm, where does it say 'preferred' on the recruitment page on their website ? I can't see it. If it did say 'preferred' then it might be worth sending a cv off, but it seems pretty clear what they will and wont accept.

StudentInDebt
21st Jan 2007, 10:40
All this negativity - if Tfly have their application for available for download then get a copy, fill it in and send it off. If they send you back a rejection letter then you've lost nothing but an hour or so of your time. If they invite you to a selection then all you have to do is proove you aren't a tosser and you'll have a job.

chief
21st Jan 2007, 11:52
Every so often I keep in touch with HR, denise, etc etc and have already gone through the Assessment days with Thomsonsfly and have developed a good relationship with HR as I know an insider fairly well.

I too have 250 hours, although no type rating. I was recently told not to apply as I don't have (now) the necessary qualifications i.e. Type rating or sufficient hours.

I would usually tend to ignore the requirments they advertise and managed to get through on their assessment day, however on this occasion I was told that they are [U]only[U] recruiting for pilots with the stipulated qualifications.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If you do get through to the next stage contrary to what I have said, then please do let me know. :ugh:

This whole industry is very frustrating.

Good luck to all.

rjay259
21st Jan 2007, 14:14
Hey Mungo 55,

Oh well sorry got it wrong but from what i heard from some other guys who work in the company they will always want those who have loads of hours and experience and then those type rated.

Its up to you if you apply or not I dont really care. And its via an application anyway not by sending your cv.

But for those who will apply anyway goodluck and i hope you get in it is a very good company to work for and I love it.

259:cool:

spoolup
1st Feb 2007, 07:08
hi everyone.
i keep looking around for the process at tfly.
I have a few questions if you don't mind....
1. if you pass day 1 you continue to day 2. is day to the next day or some other day they choose?
2. is the interview a mix of hr and tech stuff? or just HR as before. also if there's tech is the tech stuff on the plane you last flew or any plane in your logbook?
3. psychologist interview? ink blotches? what does that cover?
4. i understand if you pass day 2 and you are offered the job you need to do a medical? is that a class one, or a company medical. how long does it take?
do we pay for it? what's in it (if I can do it here cheaper i'll take the papers there)
I am flying in from the US for this, I just need to make some plans for this before I head out.
Thanks