PDA

View Full Version : Thomsonfly (merged)

Pages : 1 [2]

Pilot Pete
1st Feb 2007, 07:54
1. i understand there is a group excercise on day 1. what does that entail? They assess your performance within a group environment. They are looking at your communication style and teamwork towards a set goal.
2. if you pass day 1 you continue to day 2. Yes that is the process, but Day 2 doesn't necessarily follow at a set timescale after Day 1. It could be a week or so, or a few months later, depends on demand to fill course start dates. As they are only looking at a small number of pilots this year I suspect it would be sooner rather than a long wait though.
3. is the interview a mix of hr and tech stuff? also is the tech stuff on the plane you last flew or any plane in your logbook? No. No tech stuff, HR driven questions that try to find out what makes you tick. Remember Tfly select the INDIVIDUAL and not the TR/ hours. You MUST fit the bill, the TR and hours/ experience are a bonus which they can ask for when they aren't looking for hundreds of pilots.
4. psychologist interview? ink blotches? what does that cover? Again, questions about YOU and your life, things you have achieved, setbacks etc. No ink blots.
5. i understand if you pass day 2 and you are offered the job you need to do a medical? Not true unless they have just introduced it. However, if you don't hold a JAR licence it would seem reasonable that any job offer would be made subject to you being able to get the JAR licence issued, one requirement being a JAR Class 1 Medical. If it is an initial issue of a JAR Licence I believe you would have to go to the UK CAA Medical Centre at the CAA Headquarters at LGW.

They will for the time being not be taking any low-houred, non-typerated pilots on as they cost to much to train it is all supply and demand and there may be some truth in this statement, but the fact remains that over the last few years the 737 expansion has meant they have been recruiting in the hundreds. Now that has stopped they only require a handful of pilots, so they revert to being able to be more choosy. They can ask for type ratings and hours because they will get enough applicants, if they don't they can re-assess the situation and amend the requirements. S/Os training costs might be higher than direct entry type rated S/Os and F/Os, BUT if they come via a scheme like CTC the non-type rated low houred pilot works out SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper as they don't get paid other than allowances AND the training organisation take ALL the risk of failure. There is no pension, National Insurance, LoL cover etc etc. Historically there has always been a number of low houred pilots who fail at some stage during the initial type rating and that costs. The other advantage of type rated however is that they are productive much earlier. Whilst the market is in the employers favour it also makes sense to get experience levels up.

Plums
9th Feb 2007, 19:59
I've been invited for the 1st round of selection at Thomsonfly, Luton.

Does anyone have any tips of what to expect and if there's anything i can do in particular to prepare?

rjay259
10th Feb 2007, 10:15
There can be plenty but if you check through the back records you will find a very large thread on what to expect and that will give you a very good idea of what to expect.

Good luck and I hope it goes well.

259:cool:

On speed on profile
23rd Feb 2007, 11:54
Can anyone with the new gen please clarify what the state of play is with regards to the bond. I can only find conflicting information.

Thanks,

OSOP

rjay259
23rd Feb 2007, 15:29
The bond for myself was £10k and tha is for five years.

That was just the type rating tho. for guys doing the whole sponser thing its a lot, but the company is very good, one of the guys on my course failed at base training after several attempts. They said that he didnt have to pay the costs back and they got him some interviews with other companies. Now this may have been a one off case and they would probably not do it again so heed the warning.

But good luck

Stjuk
23rd Mar 2007, 20:29
Has anyone who attended the March 8 selection recieved an answer yet?
I havent...

scameron77
12th Apr 2007, 00:22
I was thinking of applying to Thomsonfly for a job as a SO on the 757. I attain a TR recently but the website asks for 250 hours on type minimum. PPJN.com says 250TT obviously it derives its information from that supplied by TUI but I'm in a quandary as it also says that applications are not accepted from those not successful in the past.

So if I was to write to them on the off chance that they don't get enough pilots who meet the criteria set its all good, but if they get enough applicants, because of me falling below the threshold then I'm blacklisted from applying in future.

Catch 22 stamped all over it. Any suggestions?

PlaneHomerS
12th Apr 2007, 06:53
Apply anyway and see what happens...:)

Most of the time the system discriminates you on your e-mail address, you can always change that and apply again...:p

Northern Highflyer
12th Apr 2007, 10:11
You can apply as often as you like if you haven't been called for assessment. However, if you get called for assessment and and are not successful, there is a two year ban on submitting an application to them, after which you are free to go for it again. I am not sure how strict they are with this two year period though.

Astrocaryum vulgare
12th Apr 2007, 11:12
"Unfortunately we are unable to take applications from previously unsuccessful candidates" - from the Thomsonfly website. Note "candidates", not "applicants".

Whilst it can be argued that the first stage of an selection process is submission of the application form, I think they're talking about those who have attended a selection day and failed.

I can't imagine T-Fly HR are so well organised to know exactly who has sent in application forms in the past.

As always, what an airline asks for doesn't necessarily tally what they'll accept.

rymes
13th Apr 2007, 17:05
anyone out there know what to expect from a thomsonfly interview/assessment day.

thanks

rymes

rjay259
13th Apr 2007, 19:48
Expect lots but the best thing to do is to complete a search on the subject as there is soooooooooooooooooo muuuuuuuuuuccccccccccchhhhhhhhh info on it, it is unreal. I can say with complete knowlege that there is all the info you will require.

Happy hunting and reading

scameron77
16th Apr 2007, 21:07
Well the application went off today (all 15 bloody pages) so we shall see, wing and a prayer for this one.
Benefit is that by doing so I have to research and got every single piece of evidence for where and what I've been doing for the past 5 years which I'll be able to use for any other potential employer.

DownloadDog
2nd May 2007, 10:21
Is it me, or is the formatting of the Thomsonfly application form terrible?

Just spent half an hour deleting full stops to make it fit.....

spanner the cat
3rd May 2007, 10:26
Oh FFS! It's not rocket science. It's quite simple. If you don't want the job don't fill out the application. :ugh:

Pilot Pete
3rd May 2007, 10:34
No DownloadDog

It is not you, the form is just a Word document, which of course doesn't 'download' very well in terms of formatting. However, the backroom has been slashed to the bone and there is more to come, so pilot application forms are probably not high on the 'to do' list. It may be a pain, but formatting it correctly yourself and putting the page breaks in the correct place does show a 'willing' attitude, which is not to be sniffed at in terms of first impressions!;)

PP