PDA

View Full Version : LSA License/Category

nsteele
12th Jun 2006, 13:38
Forgive me if this subject has already been discussed. Have our CAA made any announcment as to the LSA sport license and catergorisation?

Australia and America now have the LSA category and i do hope it won't take too long for us to make a decision, be it yes or no.

Has anyone got any informaiton on the matter? Have i misinterpreted the whole thing?

Nathan

BlueRobin
12th Jun 2006, 15:56
What gave you the impression that they were? Hopefully they will as I mentioned inthe Auster thread (Taylors, Cubs and Luscombes were the first types to go onto LSA) but you have to remember they the CAA are merely a conduit these days from someone else wink wink. What's in the EASA pipeline?

nsteele
12th Jun 2006, 16:21
Blue Robin

Thank you for your reply, I thought the CAA might make an announcment as to their intentions. however if the strings are controlled by the higher being EASA, then i suppose our beloved CAA will have to take a back seat.

I do know that our American friends are quite eager to break into our market with their LSA aircraft. They have recognised the need for a change in license and category to boost the number of people flying. I only hope it all happens sooner rather than later.

IanSeager
12th Jun 2006, 16:23
Most of the LSA aircraft in the US come from Europe.

Ian

nsteele
13th Jun 2006, 07:50
Yes most of the aircraft do come from Europe, which begs the question, why didn't we get it first?

BlueRobin
13th Jun 2006, 17:57
Perhaps the vendors need to collectively lobby and push for a change in the regs?

BlueRobin
12th Jul 2006, 12:40
I have come across some new information about the VLA regs. Let's start by contrasting and comparing between our own current VLA regs and LSA...

We should ask ourselves "what is a LSA and VLA?"

VLA (Very Light Aircraft) is a EASA set of design regs, which include day VFR only, SEP-only, 45 knot stall speed, a MTOW of 750kg, 2 seats and no aeros. Presently operated in the UK on either a Permit to Fly or a full CofA.

LSA (Light Sport Aircraft) is a new US FAA category similar to VLA but more restrictive. The maximum stall speed is the same at 45 knots, but LSAs are restricted to a maximum full power cruise of 120 knots. The maximum gross weight is less – 600 kg except for seaplanes (650kg). Other comparitive restrictions are that a fixed-pitch prop can only be fitted, no VPPs. Some extra rights granted though with LSA are ability to be flown at night (but not IMC).

The first LSA types to be included were Cubs and Taylors. The VLA present regs did not extend this far. LSA was more encompassing - including a new licence category (similar to NPPL) and a maintenance licence category. If you look at what we have presently, NPPLs, vintage aircraft on CofAs or CAA PtF, PFA PtFs, its all rather unintegrated by comparison.

EASA will start consult on a revised VLA set of regulations (deregulations?) this August (still with 750kg) hopefully pushing toward what the FAA have achieved with LSA. I personally doubt though it will go as far as the FAA, it could serve to improve the situation.

The UK leader at present in getting the above message across I feel is FLYER magazine and no, I'm not on Ian's payroll either!

nsteele
12th Jul 2006, 14:28
I have heard some info from various sources on the new categories too. The target for introducing whatever EASA come up with is said to be around March 2007. There are also said to be options availble on weight categories (up to 600kg and up to 2Mt????[speculation]), which will hopefully open the market up for new aircraft and new pilots. This industry needs new blood and has the potential to become a much larger market.

I don't believe you when you say you are not on Ian's payroll :) ha ha, but all the same yes Flyer have covered the topic well. However, speculation in print only fuels the confusion surrounding the topic. When definitive answers and confirmed reports are released we will see (you obviously know who I work for)Today's Pilot and other titles taking more of a vested interset.

Nathan