PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield

cessna l plate
11th Jun 2006, 08:18
Hi Folks, can I have a little bit of advice please?

I am more than a little disollusioned with my current club, and having looked at all the airfields near me (not that many) I have decided to change clubs.

I have about £3k to spend, and have about 35 hours, in the course I need to consolidate first solo (2 years ago but I have kept the rust off) and then do nav etc.
So my question is this. Can I get my ppl for that money? (assuming I don't get stuck on any particular aspect)

And the big one is, what is Sheffield City Flying School like? I am not looking for any particular endorsement, just your experiences, good or bad, and especially from Whirls who I beleive works at Sheffield from time to time.

I know I am asking specifics, and I am not looking for an advert for anyones club, just some advice so that I can make the right decision. 3 grand is not the kind of money I can afford to throw away!!!

Thanks

helicopter-redeye
11th Jun 2006, 10:20
They appear to be quite busy most of the time.

The people there appear to be sensible.

Pilots, not salesman.

All E&OE, IMHO, etc.

h-r

spernkey
11th Jun 2006, 17:12
Another place where you will get a career instructor as opposed to an hour-builder is Derby. Short runways with challenging approaches mean that when you graduate you will be able to go anywhere. Cosmetically challenged but very well maintained aircraft. The instructor i have there is the chief engineers son and i would fly ANYTHING they have looked after.
Good luck, Spernkey Bowlock

Shunter
12th Jun 2006, 07:29
I learnt at Multiflight (Leeds Bradford). No more expensive than learning at the smaller places, and with the advantage of full ATC. They've got Robins, 152's, 172's, PA-28's... all sorts really. All very friendly and well organised.

Whirlybird
12th Jun 2006, 08:30
I do work at Sheffield, but for the helicopter school. I don't know much about Sheffield City Flying School. They seem like nice guys when I say hi to them, and they're pretty busy from the looks of things. The airfield is a great place to fly from, and open and licenced to 8pm which can be useful. A/G radio and very informal, but feels a bit like a real airport...and has nice buildings not an old portacabin, which is nice in winter. On the downside, it's surrounded by areas you're supposed to keep away from due to noise issues, and I don't know where you'd go in the event of EFATO on runway 28. And it feels like an airport, not a flying club, which could be a plus or minus depending on your preferences.

Go along and check it out. If you're there Sunday or possibly Wednesday or Friday, come to Alpha Helicopters and say hi.

If you don't like it there, a student of mine who's a f/w pilot speaks highly of Netherthorpe, just round the corner...very short grass runways and apparently a good flying club atmosphere.

Julian
12th Jun 2006, 09:37
Cessna,

Have used Sheffield City Flying School for a revalidation and found them straight forward and basically did what they said on the tin. Guys very friendly there and were happy to accomodate around you.

Sheffield airport itself it excellent having once been a full blown commercial operation (I think KLM used to use it) although it didnt last very long! Tarmac runway and new airport building, good parking, cafe, etc.

We base our group aircraft there although it is due to become a housing estate in about 18 months I believe so we may have to seek alternative accomodation...!

Julian.

MyData
12th Jun 2006, 11:47
CLP

I moved to Sheffield (SCFS) from Leeds with about 40 hrs under my belt. Had the PPL in the bag not long after (about 50 hrs I think).

I couldn't recommend them highly enough. Excellent staff and instructors. Very friendly, relaxed and accommodating. The place is run with a 'club' feel although it is a school. The airport facilities (offices, briefing rooms, cafe, hangarage, apron, fire control etc. etc. ) are of amazing quality compared to various other places I've been. My very first introduction to the school was a weekend away to Cherbourg with the school taking a DA40 and 2xPA28. They also have a C172.

As Whirlybird points out, EFATO on R28 would be 'interesting' and still gives me the jitters when I depart that way. What this means is that students cannot fly solo from the airfield (on either R28 or R10). So you will be ferried to Gamston or Sandtoft before and after each solo jaunt. This will add perhaps 50 mins to each part of your solo exercises. But is useful practice to do some revision with an instructor en-route.

Do a search for Sheffield City Flying School for more information, then give them a call and ask for Steve (CFI). A very friendly and helpful chap.

Now that 09/27 has closed at Leeds that may have an impact on GA operations and add to crosswind challenges to students - but I've not been there since the runway was closed so can't comment on changes.

SNAFU.
12th Jun 2006, 16:06
cessna l plate - check PM's :ok:

Jinkster
12th Jun 2006, 19:18
Have you tried Yorkshire Flight Training at EGSY?

Jinkster;)

cessna l plate
12th Jun 2006, 20:36
Thanks for the replies folks. This is just the information I wanted. I have spoken to the CFI a couple of times, and had a 1hr trial lesson the other week. Just for the record, I live in Stockport, so Sheffield is about as far as I want to travel, and I'm not a fan of Barton anyway.

I have an afternoon booked next Sunday, so if I'm early I might pop in and see you whirls, but please don't try and convert me to rotary, I have done some with a freind, and although I agree that it's the most fun you can have with your clothers on, my missus might not like the price tag!!!

Thanks again for the replies, and these sum up the impression that I got as well, and I think it's worth noting that nothing bad has been said about them, and that is a good thing

CLP