PDA

View Full Version : Dayglo is cool!

SkyHawk-N
10th Jun 2006, 19:55
You've really got to hand it to Shoreham Airport.

Being one of those airfields that 'actively encourages' the wearing of dayglo hi-vis jackets, instead of taking a tough, non compromising stance they are attempting a PR excercise in selling hi-vis equipment as fashion accesseries. This from their web site ...

High Visibility Clothing

Some comments have been made to airport staff about the wearing of high visibility jackets. The airport will continue to support and actively encourage the wearing of this safety related initiative and we now have available other complementary or supplementary "clothing".

High Visibility caps are now available from the airport at a cost of £5 and these, when worn, will add to or improve your safety and possibly even make a fashion statement. These caps are now available from the airport reception desk.

:rolleyes:

I wonder if the caps prevent helicopters landing on your head? Has anyone purchased one yet?

ShyTorque
10th Jun 2006, 21:00
Trouble is, there is so much emphasis on dayglo now that we'll soon need a dark outfit to stand out against the bright green background. ;)

Henry Hallam
10th Jun 2006, 21:59
On a visit to Peterborough Conington a few weeks ago the very nice lady on duty pointed out that the high-vis vests my passengers and I brought along made for extremely good camouflage against the background of oilseed rape!

Bahn-Jeaux
11th Jun 2006, 08:12
Got home from flying yesterday and no 1 daughter helped me unload the car.
In a flash she had my Hi Viz jacket on with the bottom of it pulled tight and knotted just above her belly button.
"You've lost this Dad" she told me and then proceeded to go out wearing it.
Thing is she did look good in it.

She is 16 so is very fashion conscious.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jun 2006, 08:42
Got home from flying yesterday and no 1 daughter helped me unload the car.
In a flash she had my Hi Viz jacket on with the bottom of it pulled tight and knotted just above her belly button.
"You've lost this Dad" she told me and then proceeded to go out wearing it.
Thing is she did look good in it.
She is 16 so is very fashion conscious.

So you can get away without wearing a yellow jacket if you take a 16 year old girl flying with you every time?

Hmmmm.......

G

Bahn-Jeaux
11th Jun 2006, 09:11
Nah, she didnt come with me, just raided my bag on return.

Dont like the damn things tho, wish I could do away with it.
Makes you look like a mobile banana.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jun 2006, 09:37
Nah, she didnt come with me, just raided my bag on return.
Dont like the damn things tho, wish I could do away with it.
Makes you look like a mobile banana.

I know of one airfield in the South of England where a visitor was ordered to remove a yellow jacket, since it might cause somebody to think they were an official of some sort.

G

BlueRobin
12th Jun 2006, 10:04
I am always tempted to start wearin dayglo orange instead and see who complains first!

davidatter708
12th Jun 2006, 14:42
I know this might sound stupid but how about someone out there with some monery and some contacts to start selling different colours for different makes of aircraft so say yellow for piper and orange for cessna might be an idea cause then you know who you want to associate with and who you dont:E

BRL
12th Jun 2006, 14:53
I have hundreds of orange ones with the reflective strips in them if any one wants one. They have Thameslink written on them on the back, but that can be easily markered out.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Windy Militant
12th Jun 2006, 22:02
Didn't a certain individual who shall remain nameless cause a bit of a ruck by insisting on wearing a Pink
high viz waistcoat. :cool: ;)

Miserlou
13th Jun 2006, 07:18
Before I put one of these on, I would like to see some documentation for how many people's lives have been saved by wearing them or how they make people more intelligent.
This must be the point of them since I can't see they will offer much protection once you have been stupid enough to walk into a moving propeller.

Anyone think of a good reason to wear one?

Also, does anyone know if any other colours are acceptable to the twots who dreamed the idea up on the first place?

Dop
13th Jun 2006, 08:57
Maybe Chavs could be persuaded to wear the hi-viz caps instead of burberry, then you could spot them from a long way off...

Fg Off Max Stout
13th Jun 2006, 09:15
Aircrew and passengers in my 'flying club' have worn olive green, temperate or desert camouflage since 1918 and I have not heard of a single incident that would have been prevented by wearing fluorescent yellow.

DFC
13th Jun 2006, 09:19
Yes but you and your passengers are expendible government property. ;)

You will be saying that there is nothing wrong with people shooting at each other because some people dressed in olive gren have been doing it for decades also!

Regards,

DFC

Fg Off Max Stout
13th Jun 2006, 09:24
Perhaps, although I'm not sure government accountants would agree with you. I do have a self-preservation instinct, though, but I do feel that mandatory use of hi-viz jackets at non-commercial airfields is over cautious and an unnecessary move. Health and Safety regs at work, I guess.

Not quite sure of the point of your second paragraph, but if we have full on infantry engagements and firefights on GA airfields, then we have bigger problems and you definitely won't catch me in a yellow vest! ;)