PDA

View Full Version : Multinational /multilingual crews

Irish Steve
10th Jun 2006, 16:30
I'm probably living dangerously, but I'm going to ask the question, and see what the replies are like

Has any organisation linked with aviation done any serious research on the implications for flight safety of multinational and multilingual crews?

The reason I ask is that I flew recently on a (european) short haul flight that had a total crew compliment of 6, and I would put money on it that there were at least 5 different nationalities represented. The flight deck is included in this, and it was very clear from the PA's that there was a very different level of ability with English on the flight deck.

That's not the first time, or likely to be the last time, but, and maybe it's my age, I'm becoming slightly uncomfortable when thinking about some of the implications of this increasingly common strategy.

My concern would be this. If an incident occurs, the likely response is that the people dealing with it will think in their "natural" language. If that is not the "natural" language of the other crew members, and the thoughts are expressed, there is a very real liklihood that the remainder of the crew may be unable to understand what is being said. To compound that problem, if the crew members are then only reasonably proficient in "aviation" english, which while functional, is a VERY limited subset of the english language, if there is not a "common" language, how are they going to be able to adequately communicate if dealing with a complex problem that is outside of the limited scope of "aviation" english.

I've listened to several safety announcements recently, as well as flight deck PA's, and the uncomfortable conclusion I've come to is that in certain circumstances, the probable success rate of multi crew co-operation is likely to be very low, not because the crew don't want to co-operate, but because they can't adequately communicate in a common language to the degree necessary to resolve the problem in a timely and safe manner. Even dealing with the basic announcements has caused some of the people responsible more than a little difficulty. In some cases, the pre flight is now done from tape or VCR, which in some ways makes this even more relevant, in that it removes the crew member from having to communicate even the basic stuff.

OK, this issue has always been there when travelling on a "foreign" carrier, but in past times, at least all of the crew were likely to speak the same language, so there was a good chance they could at least communicate in depth and rapidly in an emergency. If the crew don't have a common language, how do they then deal with complex problems about which they are not even sure of the reason, let alone how to resolve it, and then they have to try and communicate that concern adequately to the other crew members.

I'm not sure if this is a serious issue or not, but I do wonder, given the standards of English I've heard in recent flights.

So, has it been researched, and if it has, what conclusions did they reach?

My names Turkish
11th Jun 2006, 14:04
Irishsteve, I suspect I know the airline your working for and I suspect that I may work for them. There is a phenomonal spread of nations represented. Its joked that the only one we don't have are eskimos! Up at the pointy end the company is fantical about rigid adherance to SOPs, and I suppose a standard phraseology when dealing with the CC in emergencys.

The part i find hardest to deal with is the cultural differences that occur. I find that British, South African, Irish and Australians have roughly the same sense of humour and I can get on with them no problems and enjoy the day at work. I find the Nordics and the Swiss and Germans very dry to work with. But from a strictly operationl sense I don't ffeel there is a problem with that. The grasp of the english language varies wildly sometimes its very poor.

planeenglish
30th Jun 2006, 12:58
Dear Irish Steve,
Interesting question. Alot of students have done their dissertations on the subject and variants of this subject. I have a lot of files on my computer but have to dig them out. Here are some links to some good reading on the subject.
Regarding a study done just on multicultural and multilingual flight crews I will try to find the exact study for you.
A lot of incidents and accidents have happened with the lack of language proficiency and difference in culture as a link in the chain. The Helios accident was reported of the German captain and Cypriot F/O having difficulty understanding each others' types of English which, supposedly, led to the Captain "ignoring" the F/O. This is what the journalists said. We know that due to hypoxia it could be another story, not necessarily linguistic. However, his German English and the F/O's Cypriot English could have played a role in not solving the problem.
As My Name's Turkish writes below, this is also a cultural problem in some cases. Learning language and culture are two different paths...
Here are some links, as I find more I'll pass them on.
Best,
PE
http://www.highbeam.com/library/docFree.asp?DOCID=1G1:20873101
http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/group/HelmreichLAB/
Sexton, B.J., & Helmreich, R.L. (2003). Using language in the cockpit: Relationships with workload and performance. In R. Dietrich (Ed.), Communication in High Risk Environments (pp. 57-73). Berlin: Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin.
http://www.hf.faa.gov/docs/508/docs/maint_LanguageYr1rpt.pdf

captain_jeeves
6th Jul 2006, 04:12
Flight Safety Org has done several studies on this subject.

http://www.flightsafety.org/home.html

Civis
23rd Jul 2006, 21:54
Steve,
www.ashgate.com (http://www.ashgate.com)

Lots of human performance resources. One of my favorities is

" Culture at Work in Aviation and Medicine ".

I work in both fields and think this work an excellent primer, not only on language but all the other games / problems which cross culture groups and crews must deal with. Ashgates books are a bit pricey but the selection is quite large and well vetted.

Oh that's super!
24th Jul 2006, 08:29
I too would like to recommend Culture at Work in Aviation and Medicine. Not the cheapest, so if you can borrow it from a library, that would probably be best.

planeenglish
5th Aug 2006, 06:21
Dear Irish Steve,

I believe this is right on the money for you (http://www.flightsafety.org/members/serveme.cfm/?path=/fsd/fsd_mar-apr03.pdf).

PE