PDA

View Full Version : FI course - how best to approach it ?

The Nr Fairy
10th Jun 2006, 12:34
I may well be doing my FI(H) course in the next few months. I'd like to get some advice about how to prepare.
First, what sort of stuff do I need to bone up on beforehand to ensure time in the classroom and in the air isn't wasted ? How did you prepare, and what would you have done differently ?
Secondly - this is aimed more at the people running the courses. What do you think a student should do to maximise the chances of passing the test and getting the most learning out of the course ? And what should the student make sure he/she gets best value out of the instructor ?

Whirlybird
10th Jun 2006, 20:27
Who are you doing it with, Nr Fairy?

18greens
10th Jun 2006, 22:38
Just wait for you eyes to be held wide open for the course. This will make no sense to you until you have finished the course and remember that for when you teach your first students.

Enjoy it, its fun.

rotorfossil
13th Jun 2006, 11:53
Remember that the course is designed to teach you how to teach. You are assumed to know all the background info, P of F, met, nav etc. There isn't really time on the course to cover this again.
Be able to reproduce the diagrams for the commonly covered bits of the above subjects. Unfoutunately the tick in the box format of the licence exams doesn't really promote understanding of the subjects, as opposed to just choosing the right answer.
In the air, be able to fly the more demanding exercises like EOL's, advanced autos, advanced T/O's & Ldgs & limited power (and know all the numbers) so that you can do them without having to think about the procedure. Otherwise, it is difficult when you have to think about what you are "pattering" as well as flying the aircraft.
Lastly, to get the best out of your FIC instructor, don't be afraid to ask if you don't understand something, but better to do this on the ground. Time in the air is tight.

Jinkster
14th Jun 2006, 19:03
TNF - With an open mind ;)

autoranger
4th Jul 2006, 03:45
Still don't know who you are doing the FI(H) course with Nr Fairy!

:suspect:

The Nr Fairy
4th Jul 2006, 04:46
Mike Green at Helicopter Services. Anyone else booked to start on the 26th July - PM / email me and perhaps we can prepare together.

Considered others but rejected them because either they're too far away for me to commute to them (Booker is about an hour each way avoiding rush hour) and my relationship with closer FTOs is non-existent.