PDA

View Full Version : would this count as a type rating?

pilotho
9th Jun 2006, 22:43
while training mostly on the 152, i managed to do a few sessions in the 172. in fact i did a nav trip and a dual QXC in the 172.

does that mean i am type rated for the 172? as i recall, a type rated is after 3 landings and take offs with an instructor

tangovictor
9th Jun 2006, 23:19
why didn't you ask the instructor when you flew it ?

pilotho
9th Jun 2006, 23:25
because i forgot to, thats all

BillieBob
9th Jun 2006, 23:27
There is no such thing as a C172 type rating. If you have a Single-Engine Piston Class Rating, you are qualified to fly any SEP aeroplane - C152, PA28, etc. with no other training required. If you wish to fly an aeroplane with VP prop, rectractable gear, tailwheel, etc. you will need differences training, which should take no more than 1 hour and which must be signed off in your logbook by an FI.

Does a C172 have a VP prop? - all these puddle-jumpers look the same to me.

mad_jock
9th Jun 2006, 23:40
No NO NO NO.

A type rating is something which needs to be placed on your license after a course with a TRTO. And costs a **** load of money.

Differences training between different SEP variations is completly up to the person who owns the plane. Taking aside any difference training you require to operate wobberly props retractable gear, complex types etc

I and most other instructors ex or current have jumped into aircraft which we have never flown before or have been "checked" out on and flown them. You read the book and then pick out the things that will kill you and fly it.

If you get permission from the owner you can fly it. ITs down to you as PIC to self limit your flying to what you are capable of. You can have 1 landing or 3 or 25. Its up to you to say if you are capable of flying it or not.

3 landings doesn't teach you how to operate a machine.

Sorry to sound harsh but its all part and parcel of being the PIC.

MJ