PDA

View Full Version : Swanwick Information

CZYZ_QQ
7th Jun 2006, 13:21
Hello folks...

I am looking for information on Swanwick and any potential experienced controller program for Canadians moving to the UK. I would appreciate getting in contact with someone via PM or email so I can bounce a few questions off them.

Thanks

QQ - YYZ ACC

BDiONU
7th Jun 2006, 16:47
Not aware that NATS is even thinking about any sort of programme to bring in ATCO's from outside UK, we're told that there are more than enough applicants to fill all the training vacancies. There is a big blurb about the London Area Control Centre here (http://www.nats.co.uk/text/80/london_area_control_centre.html)

HTH
BD

30W
7th Jun 2006, 17:02
Given that NATS seems continually short of controllers, it seems a senior management folly to ignore taking on experienced controllers from other countries. If it doesn't have a scheme, it should do!

30W

BDiONU
7th Jun 2006, 18:30
Given that NATS seems continually short of controllers, it seems a senior management folly to ignore taking on experienced controllers from other countries. If it doesn't have a scheme, it should do!
30W
But if you examine the figures (so senior management tell us) then there is no shortage of staff and the mailbox is bursting with applications from eager young recruits.

BD

west atc
7th Jun 2006, 18:36
I am an OZ ATC also looking at a possible move to the UK. What would be the best way to get in touch with someone regarding a move to the UK? What experience would be required to work in the Terminal Area at Heathrow?

Most ATC providers around the world are short of staff, so surely NATS couldn't turn their back on experienced controllers completely, could they?

If anyone can assist please PM.

BDiONU
7th Jun 2006, 18:47
I am an OZ ATC also looking at a possible move to the UK. What would be the best way to get in touch with someone regarding a move to the UK? What experience would be required to work in the Terminal Area at Heathrow?
To the best of my knowledge there is no shortcut, you need to complete the full student ATCO course and then validate.
Most ATC providers around the world are short of staff, so surely NATS couldn't turn their back on experienced controllers completely, could they?
According to senior management we are fully staffed.
Have a look at the NATS careers website (http://natscareers.co.uk/indexfs.asp?id=200667)

BD

west atc
7th Jun 2006, 19:19
[QUOTE=BDiONU]To the best of my knowledge there is no shortcut, you need to complete the full student ATCO course and then validate.

There would have to be a way for someone with over ten years experience to skip the basic ATC training and be able to train on the system in use. I think that an experienced controller would be able to separate aircraft already.

According to senior management we are fully staffed.

According to senior management in OZ, we are fully staffed also, but it isn't exactly true at the coalface.

Me thinks there is something more to your negativity about experienced controllers trying to work in the UK.

BDiONU
7th Jun 2006, 19:25
There would have to be a way for someone with over ten years experience to skip the basic ATC training and be able to train on the system in use. I think that an experienced controller would be able to separate aircraft already.
You would think so but I know controllers with over 20 years of (non NATS) experience who are not given any shortcuts.
According to senior management in OZ, we are fully staffed also, but it isn't exactly true at the coalface.
You may think that the same could be true in the UK but I can neither confirm nor deny that.
Me thinks there is something more to your negativity about experienced controllers trying to work in the UK.
Nope, just trawl through this forum looking for posts similar to yours and you'll see the state of affairs. :\

BD

Gonzo
7th Jun 2006, 19:33
LOL!

You may think that the same could be true in the UK but I can neither confirm nor deny that.

Of course we're not!

Number2
7th Jun 2006, 22:02
There was an ad in Flight from NATS mentioning experienced controllers earlier this year. There was also a thread on here around the same time. I think it all got to be too much for HR to handle (I could be wrong) but I can't see NATS opting for a train-at-Unit system. I'm confident that they would make everyone do some sort of APC and training at Hurn. Again, I'm happy to be corrected by the better informed.