PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Budapest

3FallinFlyer
7th Jun 2006, 12:57
Anyone done it?? Any advice, route suggestions etc. Any info greatly appreciated!!!:)

FullyFlapped
7th Jun 2006, 13:31
I guess the route depends where you're starting from ! But for what it's worth, I did it (about 2 years ago) as follows :-
Leeds -> Munster Osnabruck -> Prague (Ruzyne) -> Budapest (Ferihegy)

Coming back was similar, but for various reasons we landed in Karlovy Vary instead of Prague, and chucked in a quick stop at Norwich before returning to Leeds.

My routes had longish sea crossings, so you need to decide how you feel about that. If you're not keen, then obviously you'll have to route via Dover/France/etc.

The most direct route from Prague to Budapest would have meant overflying Slovakia, but I couldn't get either decent charts nor advice no matter where I looked. I rang the Slovakian CAA to ask about VFR routes (to avoid the military zones etc), but they really didn't want to know (or possibly didn't understand me). Not wanting to get shot down, I decided a quick (and not huge) detour was in order, and went via Austrian airspace. They seemed confused to have me, but it all worked out eventually.

One thing to note is that when filing plans to cross from Germany into Check airspace (and vice-versa), they insisted we gave them a precise location of transit : so we just picked out a town or village from the chart and included that on the FPL, and everyone seemed happy (except the Autrian ATCOs, who seemed universally miserable, but hey-ho ... !)

As to advice, well ... the usual stuff really for flying in Europe : check opening times/fuel availability/handling requirements etc VERY carefully (fax or email is a good idea), don't forget that many places do not accept credit cards for fuel, so you need cash (or a fuel card, eg BP is reasonably widely accepted). If you're going VFR, make sure you understand the actual rules for each country !

The airport at Budapest is straight forward enough, just make sure you book handling in advance, and be prepared to be on your toes - it's a busy spot these days. They were manically busy when we got there (Grand Prix was in town) but they gave us a really good service at a pretty reasonable price.

As you get further East, the quality of spoken English on the radio can become a little ... variable, so you need to try and be alert for (eg) VRP names and locations etc.

Other than that, fill yer boots - it's a pretty nice place to visit - enjoy !

FF :ok:

172driver
7th Jun 2006, 13:40
Can only give you some info as far as Vienna (done this a couple of times), but here goes: you'll probably route via the DVR VOR, then X-Channel towards Calais. If you stay a couple of miles offshore, you can avoid having to talk to Lille App (saves you a very rapid change of frequencies and controllers), then on through Belgium following the 'corridor' between Brussels and Antwerp airspace. Alternative here would of course be to cross northern France, but I've never done that so will stick to the route I know.

After Belgium, you typically very briefly enter Dutch airspace (talking to Maastricht, yep that's right, them of Eurocontrol fame!), then into Germany. Langen Info provide a fab FIS (or RIS, as you'd call it). As fuel stop (both a/c and pilot) I can highly recommend a place called Siegerland (EDGS). Great restaurant and very friendly (and fabulously equipped) tower! While EDGS is not strictly a customs field, they will accept you coming from the UK if you call them just before t/o and give them your ETA. They then call the local police who decide wether to check out some dodgy Brits invading the continent ;) Best of all, this same police has made the fuellers 'auxillary sheriffs', so the guy who sells you fuel also checks your passport! Great and very relaxing welcome to Schengenland. Add to that the Argentinian steaks in the restaurant....:O one word, though: this info is a couple of years old, so check if above arrangements are still in place.

From EDGS you'd be routing through Germany - it's quite amazing how much forest there still is. From the ground one always gets the impression it's all industry and Autobahn. Navaid would be the RDG VOR (beware local glider area), then overhead Passau into Austria. Again, Wien Info provide an excellent service. Basically you've got two options here: either carry on straight following the Danube (nice flight over rolling hills and vineyards further east) or you could swing south and skirt the Alps. I'd say it depends on the day. In Austria alll airports will charge you quite a steep landing fee (IIRC, around EUR 45), while airfields charge a few quid. While the airports have very good service in English, be prepared (at the small fields) for German radio and some, err, unusual joining/landing procedures. Make sure you have your charts/plates/diagrams.
You can land and park a PA28 at VIE (Schwechat), if you fancy flying into a biggish airport.

Don't know the procedures/routes from here, but as Hungary is non-Schengen check which fields you can actually fly into or if you have to enter via a customs field first. Also, recently saw a poster (alas not online, was in the lobby of an Austrian aeroclub) of foreign pilots being charged some outrageous fees (e.g. EUR 50 for passport control) at some Hungrian airfields. Check in advance (and browse online, there's bound to be something about this on the net).

HTH andd have a great trip :ok:

3FallinFlyer
7th Jun 2006, 14:03
Thanks for all the info. I'll be flying from Panshanger next Monday. Looking at Navbox Proplan (I don't have charts yet), I was thinking straight through Belgium, stopping at ETHN (Niederstetten) in Germany as that's 1/2 way and they have 100LL and an ILS then through Austria direct to Ferihegy. How simple can you get??

Anyone see any problems with that?? I've never flown in Belgian, German, Austrian or Hungarian airspace before. :uhoh:

172driver
7th Jun 2006, 14:25
Don't know ETHN, but make sure you can land there coming from the UK, i.e. from outside Schengenland. They will need to have some sort of immigration service.

Also, check the NOTAMs for Germany !! They may well have some special immigraion procedures in place for the World Cup (and beware low-flying mugs of beer :E )

Always found Austrian ATCOs very helpful and professional (dunno what happened to poor FF there :confused: ), so that should be ok. It might be easier however to go IFR the whole way, or at least across Belgium into Germany. Probably gets you a more direct routing, VFR through Belgium is a bit of a pain.

3FallinFlyer
7th Jun 2006, 14:37
Thanks again for all the advice :)

I think IFR all the way is going to be the most sensible. Just noticed ETHN is Mil :\ Think I'll give that one a miss! So what I really need is more recommendations on ILS airfields that have 100LL and are GA friendly without being too extortionate en-route through Germany (Siegerland looks very promising, thanks 172D) and Austria. I can probably get away with 1 fuel stop but I think 2 will be more comfortable! Also any airspace to avoid would be helpful!

172driver
7th Jun 2006, 15:18
Well, in Austria you could visit the home of Diamondair at LOAN (Wr. Neustadt), IFR procedures here http://www.loan-airport.at/html/ifr.htm

This sits close to the Hunagrian border south-east of Vienna. If you arrive IFR, you won't have a problem, VFR however beware: Wiener Neustadt has TWO airfields! One LOAX is mil, the other, LOAN, civ. And coming from the west you route around/along LOAX to get to LOAN :}

Egnatia Instructor
7th Jun 2006, 15:23
Hi

I’ve just flown across Europe and found it easier than expected?
All the air traffic were great, cleared me direct where they could, I had two diversions due to WX, where on one occasion I arrived in the middle of a party and was promptly handed champagne!! And then told to sign in tomorrow once the party was over!

All the way through Europe I was advising customs, immigration etc, but the only time I was questioned or had to produce my passport was in a hotel in Italy!

All in all a great trip, and allot easier than expected.

Do all the planning you can before you go and enjoy the experience!

Dave