PDA

View Full Version : Exeter

Maxflyer
7th Jun 2006, 07:31
I am planning on taking a spin in a club PA28 out of Exeter at the weekend. I will ask an instructor about my planned route (after a check out), but was wondering if prior to that any PPRuNers could give me any local advice that may be of interest. I have never flown in the area before.

robin
7th Jun 2006, 08:30
1. If landing on 08 then you land halfway down the runway
2. Be prepared to do a lot of orbiting in the circuit

QDMQDMQDM
7th Jun 2006, 08:58
Have a wander round Exmoor -- lots of stone age forts and spectacular scenery; high sea cliffs etc etc

South coast along towards lyme regis is nice.

Could pop into eggesford for a cup of tea if they'll let you. If it's a warrior, don't come four up!

Fly out over to Lundy, but prob don't land if it's a PA28 and I doubt they'd want you to.

Bodmin is a nice enough shortish trip. Or Roserrow and have a cup of tea and a wander on the beach.

Bolt Head, longish stip and very near the sea etc. (www.devonstrut.co.uk)

Circular tour of Dartmoor?

The world is your oyster, maxflyer.

unfazed
7th Jun 2006, 09:52
Conducted many enjoyable flights from Exeter and for me the best bits are

Down the Exe estuary to Exmouth and along the coast to Slapton Sands and the estuary to Salcombe, pass by Dartmouth naval college on the dart.

Return via Exmouth low level along the coast and estuary (keeping emergency options in range)

If you can get to North coast as well then even better

Dartmoor is great but weather can be unpredictable and dodgy !

Enjoy !!:)

englishal
7th Jun 2006, 12:48
A nice easy flight if you're worried about getting lost is along the coast past Lyme Regis, then along the apparently world Herritage Jurrasic Coast past Portland and Weymouth to Swanage and around the Isle Of Wight. You can either stop at Bembridge for a cup of tea if you feel the urge (no PPR required as far as I recall) or, continue east right the way along the coast or turn around and head back. There are two Danger Areas D026 / D031 at Lulworth and just before Swanage, but you can call Plymouth Ops on the phone before you go to check the status of them. If they are inactive, just buzz right through.

There is some beautiful coastline along there, the water looks almost tropical from the air.

Maxflyer
7th Jun 2006, 13:14
Thanksfor the heads up folks.

MF

Maxflyer
12th Jun 2006, 07:41
Went from Exeter on Friday with help from the Flying club there. What a great bunch of people, very friendly, very helpful and they made it an easy process.
Enjoyed lovely views of the local area and flew over the village where we have a cottage on the southern most point of Devon.
Thanks to all for their suggestions.
MF

robin
12th Jun 2006, 08:18
Must have been fun in the wind on Friday!

Maxflyer
12th Jun 2006, 08:43
The landing was interesting, but other than that it was calm above 1500'