PDA

View Full Version : Flight plans

xfeed
6th Jun 2006, 16:40
Hello everyone,
I was looking at a BA flight schedule and saw there was a flight going to Dulles leaving in the evening from Heathrow. Conversely, the flight left Dulles in the morning for Heathrow. My question is this: since traffic flying over the North Atlantic usually travels west in the morning and east in the evening would these flights not fly a NAT track (going up towards Sumberg and Keflavik to avoid the tracks) or does some traffic simply fly counter to the usual flights?
I appreciate any answers.
Cheers!

TopBunk
6th Jun 2006, 18:09
The NAT tracks are established to utilise the best wind components, ie take max advantage of the jetstreams eastbound and to avoid the same westbound. This normally means that east and westbound traffic desire different routings which normally means no conflict. The NAT tracks will however specify which levels are available westbound and whch eastbound, should the same routings be advantageous both ways.

Just a quick reply which I hope helps....

Rainboe
7th Jun 2006, 09:49
It's not a problem when flights operate outside the usual NAT track availability hours. Just extended clearances for each 10 degrees longitude are given.

xfeed
7th Jun 2006, 10:25
Thanks TopBunk and Rainboe for the information. Very much appreciated.

Cheers!