PDA

View Full Version : Mass balance. Correct decision?

pplmuppet
5th Jun 2006, 18:40
Hi All. It's been a while since i posted in this forum, and thanks to those that provide the service. (i had another username many years ago but have forgotten it), hopefully, i can either provide some insight to others, or others can help us all with a dilemma i recently experienced. I am not essentially looking for the 'was it the right or wrong decision?', type answer or confirmation of my decision, i think it is more of opening up a topic for discussion and maybe a learning process
A brief background. I recently attained my PPL, this year and subsequently moved countries in the process having done my PPL in another JAA state. In the new country i found a flying club with seemingly reasonable machines and reasonable prices. Now here comes the interesting part.
Having low hours, around 60, I decided to get a check flight in one of the club's a/c, as it happens a Robin DR 400 160HP Romeo Kilo. The check ride was interesting to say the least as i hadn't flown this type before (Piper Cadet 161 was my training a/c) and it was little more responsive than the trainer i had used, it was also a stick as opposed to a yoke. But never the less i managed to get 1h:15mins on type with the club instructor. After the flight i wanted to go and take it for a spin at the weekend, so as i had been trained to do i wanted to get the flight manual for the true stall speeds, fuel consumption and more importantly C of G limits (mass/balance calcs). The instructor copied them for me and so i took them away to do my pre flight.
Arrived at the club on a beautiful 320/10kt CAVOK, 23/06 1025 day. I saw the a/c parked and thought i will check the fuel and last minute mass/balance. Fuel was 1/2 full. I noticed that i had reserved another a/c of the same type DR 400 but 140HP Kilo Charlie, Romeo Kilo was not available, the flight manual i had used was for check flight 160HP a/c Romeo Kilo. Stickered on the side was AVGAS 110L capacity. Not the 100 that the mass/balance graph had indicated ie 72kg.
2 problems had transpired. The Kilo Charlie flight man was not available to check the specific weights, even in the A/C the Romeo Kilo Flight man was used! Upon further investigation on the full flight man of the only available manual for type, Romeo Kilo, the text says MAX Fuel 110Litres, of which useable 109Litres. The graph for the mass balance fuel was maxed out at 72kgs, ie 100L. It was impossible to calculate max fuel of 110L ie 79.2. Even after discussion with various members of the club including instructors, who were also perplexed at the discrepancy. I was none of the wiser in coming to a decision about the flight. Should i go or not? The doubt was there, although i 'knew' that there would not be a problem considering the difference of 9.2kgs and the mass moment of the centre tank, practically along the pitch axis of the a/c, and only pilot and 1 light passenger and no bags. Surely the C of G was well within limits? I elected to cancel the flight, although annoyed and frustrated.
I would welcome comments critical or otherwise, or just general advice on this subject. As an additional note, a lot of the club members/instructors seemed a little blasé about the whole affair. Yes the a/c is capable of 4 passengers and full fuel and still remain in limits, and i have very little doubt that there would have been any problem, but there would have always have been that niggling thing whilst flying in the back of my mind about the mass balance calcs. I have read many accounts of accidents involving c of g errors even from professional pilots, and the all too well known case of, flying based on another pilot's view point or advice. ie the mentality of, sure it'll fly with 14 passengers and fuel no problem, i've done it thousands of time, and never had a problem. My luck would most likely dictate the opposite. Comments welcome.
NB after research i discovered that the DR 400 was previously certificated for useable fuel of 100L Max cap of 110L, then it was changed post '92 to 109L useable. Did somebody forget to update the graphs?

18greens
5th Jun 2006, 20:38
You will live to be a wise old aviator. I'm very impressed with your airmanship. Whoever taught you should be complimented.

Doesn't it say somewhere: 'The Captain shall do everything possible to ensure the safety of the flight' and you behaved in a exemplary manner.

Every ac has a POH with its own weight and balance. No two ac are the same and even two identical craft from the same production line will have different basic weights. Paint thickness makes an imense diffference.

You should do a W/B for every flight using the correct data. Once you know the ac you can then wing it until you get close to the edges.

Flying out of the wb limits does invalidate insurance and affects performance.

The Wb for the will exist somewhere (in fact, is the CofA valid without it?) so there should be no excuse for the school not having it.

IO540
5th Jun 2006, 21:05
It's right to check but 10kg would not have made any difference. Look at it as a % of the MTOW.

Extra 1% on MTOW = extra 2% on takeoff run = 2% less range.

Most passengers, especially female ones, will lie about their weight by more than 10kg :)

Gertrude the Wombat
5th Jun 2006, 22:05
Most passengers, especially female ones, will lie about their weight by more than 10kg :)
Er, isn't that what the scales under the bookcase in the club briefing room are for :confused: :confused: :confused:

Use them.

cptcollins
5th Jun 2006, 22:40
PPLMuppet, you can be my wingman anytime :)

Good call i say even though incredably frustrating, it's sometimes tempting to ignore little safety matters in order to fulfil ones flying needs. The other week i had booked a few hours our clubs Pa28-180 only to find the oleo pressure had been leaking in the front strut and had dropped considerably. Research revealed that you can fly it safetly so long as 2'' of strut are showing which there were but I figured that it would only take one of my dodgy landings or a gust of british breeze to potentially do the aircraft more harm than good. I decided, all be it reluctantly to cancel the flying until it was fixed. I was horrified to see later on that people after me had booked the aircraft and had gone flying despite the problem not being resolved!

Thankyou for you're post, you've proven there are still pilots out there who take this lark seriously! hehe

Incidently, your club should have access to all the hard original copies of the Robins W&B, T/O and Landing performance data. Best to go by the original docs as every aircarft is different, even if it's the same type.

LowNSlow
6th Jun 2006, 11:34
cpt collins I agree with the caveat that the latest weight and balance will be more accurate than the original figures in the POH unless they have been updated to reflect the latest figures of course. Aircraft are like people, they put on weight with age. All it takes is an extra radio and a re-spray that wasn't a strip back to bare metal / fabric to add 20-30lb to the weight of something like a PA-28 / C-172.

J.A.F.O.
6th Jun 2006, 13:20
Excellent, that means I'm not two stone overweight, I'm just one respray heavier than I used to be.

I know what you guys and girls are saying about it being the right decision and, of course, I have to agree but is this really your experience of being around flying clubs and airfields?

I'm not saying, "Well, everybody does it so it must be okay." I'm just asking if it's a true reflection of what goes on.

dublinpilot
6th Jun 2006, 14:21
In Ireland, the flight manual must be onboard the aircraft when in flight.

This always seemed sensible to me. Makes life much easier for a renter trying to find information too.

dp

IO540
6th Jun 2006, 14:58
isn't that what the scales under the bookcase in the club briefing room are for

Funny how everybody assumes that everybody flies a rented spamcan from a flying school...

Once you leave the school premises, it's a whole big wide and very threatening world out there :O All of a sudden you have to do your own flight planning, check the tyre pressures, there is no tech log where to look up the fuel tank contents (which is of course completely useless, despite being common practice in the training scene), and you have to ask the passengers how much they weigh.

But seriously, if 1% excess over MTOW matters then something is very wrong; probably it means the plane is already 10% overweight.

I would be the last to suggest doing something illegal, and of course it is completely proper to demand sight of the POH for that particular plane, but some basic engineering common sense is called for here.

TheKentishFledgling
6th Jun 2006, 20:18
It's right to check but 10kg would not have made any difference. Look at it as a % of the MTOW.

In reality, of course you're right - but I don't think it's fair to say that...10 kg can and WILL sometimes make the difference between an aeroplane flying and an aeroplane crashing through the end hedge.

Aeroplanes have limits, and they shouldn't be busted, be it by 10kg or 100kg.

tKF

IO540
6th Jun 2006, 21:03
10kg will make a difference between a plane hitting a hedge, and missing it by a few inches, perhaps. Neither is a very good idea.

Try telling that to a significant percentage of the pilots of the countless Warriors containing 4 adults...

If a plane crashes "through" a hedge then it was massively overweight, and/or the runway was way too short. Lots of people do that too, but not through being 10kg over. More like 200kg. I once refused to go on a school fly-out on which the PA28-161 was going to be 150kg over (with full knowledge of the fATPL instructor)

cptcollins
6th Jun 2006, 21:45
IO540 i totally hear where you're coming from.

When i trained our CFI was more than happy to go flying if our AA5 was out of limits. Taking into account his years of experience I had no doubt that he could get it off the dirt and into a climb without killing anyone but i didn't really think it was a good example to set to a student (which i was at the time).

Although i agree being slightly out of W&B limits may not necessarily mean you can't get the kite into the air, IF something does happen, the PIC is fully responsible and before a flight he or she would have to ask themselves, is flying just this once out of weight+balance limits worth my licence?

flyboyike
7th Jun 2006, 00:41
The Kilo Charlie flight man was not available to check the specific weights....I elected to cancel the flight, although annoyed and frustrated.

God Bless You! Good Man, all kidding aside!