PDA

View Full Version : Who's In The Right?

jidder
5th Jun 2006, 17:05
So here's the picture! Aircraft (1) in the Circuit at an air to ground facility. One aircraft (2) joins in a "standard overhead rejoin". Aircraft 1 is now at the end of the downwind turning right base. Aircraft 2 has descended dead side and is now downwind but inside Aircraft 1. Aircraft 1 turns right base and is descending at 45 degrees to rwy threshhold. Aircraft 2 is now closing from the right and behind in circuit pattern.

Question is who's in the right?

Aircraft in an established traffic pattern or aircraft closing from the right?

Just to clear up a grey area :E

J :ok:

GusHoneybun
5th Jun 2006, 17:37
shouldn't really be a question of whom is in the right, more a question of common sense.
aircraft 1 is already in the circuit, and part of a standard overhead join is to suss out the circuit traffic/direction and fit in accordingly. if as a result of a joining downwind a little too tight, aircraft 2 should accept this and widen out to give aircraft 1 room.
also if aircraft 1 has turned base, probably descended through the circuit height and if i recall, a lower aircraft has priority.

the "on the right in the right" rule really goes out the window in circuits.

anyhoo, i would say aircraft 2 should yeild to aircraft 1, but more for airmanship rather than any hard and fast rules.

orionsbelt
5th Jun 2006, 19:20
See Cap 393 The ANO
Section 2 Rules of the Air ( is all available for download at the CAA web site for FREE, use the following link http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=33, click on search publications and search for CAP 393)
Look up Section 2 The Rules of the Air regulations 1996
Then see Section IV GENERAL FLIGHT RULES
Rules 5 and 6 which answer the Question.
I'm am not going to give you the answer because for you to ask the question suggests that you are not familiar with the details of this publication and if you are a active pilot then you should be.
have fun
Orions***

DFC
6th Jun 2006, 10:57
Continue with your normal circuit keeping agood lookout and avoiding collisions.

(a) If the other aircraft turns final in front, lands and vactes in time for you to land then no problem.

(b) If the other aircraft turns final in front and causes you to go arround then they are in the wrong.

If your circuits are of the correct size i.e. not too big then the only possible outcome from what you describe in general should be (b)
unless the other aircraft follows you round.

Regards,

DFC

jidder
6th Jun 2006, 11:50
:)

Just as i thought guys! I'm glad i wasn't going mad! I enjoyed my little trip through the ANO Orion :) As it stands i do know the law but you still have to ask have i misunderstood it!

Gushoneybun thanks for your straight forward answer.

DFC think you have lost the picture in this thread but thanks for your input.

Keep the blue side up:ok:

J