PDA

View Full Version : could you withstand 7.5g ?

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
5th Jun 2006, 14:40
enjoy!

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/ajc/swf/blueangels/blueangels_lite.swf

Megaton
5th Jun 2006, 14:45
7.5 g? Cream puffs :) :)

davidatter708
5th Jun 2006, 15:42
Never tried but it would be fun.:E
Someone could take me up and see:E

BEagle
5th Jun 2006, 18:19
Yes! I once pulled over 8... Which was a bit of a shame as it overstressed the dear old Hunter T7 somewhat.

I hasten to add that this was long before the daft obsession with jockstrappery (JockStirrupery?) which infests HMFC these days!

Malcolm G O Payne
5th Jun 2006, 18:42
I pulled 7.5G in a Venom 1 at a VERY LOW altitude when I got target fixation during low level bombing. I was lucky to survive in view of the Venom's propensity to flick at high G. This was on a morning session and I couldn't face any food for the rest of the day.

jayteeto
5th Jun 2006, 19:52
Great great video!! I flew with the Red Arrows synchro pair a few years back and managed to stay awake, but a 22 minute display tired me out more than a 10k run!!

Sleeve Wing
5th Jun 2006, 20:56
7.5G ?
Yeh, o' course ! Not for too long though, as in one of Auntie Betty's jet-fired pointy thingies.
But, in an Extra, well, perfick.
No need then for hot, sweaty speed jeans !

Enjoy.
Rgds, Sleeve.

chevvron
7th Jun 2006, 20:14
Experienced 5.5 g in Hawk once with squeezy trousers on and no problem; a month later did 4.5 g in a Hunter without squeezy trousers and experienced 'grey out'; very interesting as I'd read about it but not experienced it!

Sleeve Wing
7th Jun 2006, 21:10
Down to the gym then, chevvron !
And a little bit more G-tolerance training !

Only jokin', just jealous.....!
Been trying to get my hands on something like a Hunter again for ages.
Just too expensive these days.
Oh, to go back 40 years !!!!!!!!!
Rgds, Sleeve.

ShyTorque
7th Jun 2006, 22:01
Once sent my RAF IRE to sleep during a limited panel U.P. recovery in a JP5 (Altimeter, ASI and Turn and Slip only). After he flew a few U.P. gyrations, including positive and negative G, during which he insisted I had my eyes shut under my IF hood, he craftily gave me control inverted, just after the apex of a barrel roll. I held 1G and "levelled the wings", iaw with the recommended recovery drill. I watched the altimeter, which began to unwind, so I pulled back on the stick to stop it. As we were inverted and pulling into a vertical dive, it unwound a lot more - so I kept pulling. I suddenly twigged what he had done, but by then it was too late to roll the correct way up. I continued to pull to just under 7G to stop the altimeter unwinding. As we went past about 6.5G, his chin suddenly snapped down onto his chest and he was out like a light...... :E

By the time he woke up and started twitching, I was at full power and climbing like a dingbat. He was silent for quite some time. I levelled off, and he said "that was enough of those" and to go home for the ILS.

He never admitted he had blacked out and I passed the IRT!

S-Works
7th Jun 2006, 22:10
i struggle with one g..... damn humans......

slim_slag
8th Jun 2006, 11:17
I'm afraid I am just a amateur hack when it comes to pulling g, but have found that at my level if you have pulled more than 4g in a maneouver you have cocked it up. So repetitive 4g is fine but knackers you after a short time. Somewhere between 4g and 5g I start to see vision changes, and I really don't like seeing 5g on the meter as I'm getting a bit old for that sort of stuff and it's a sign to head back home. No doubt you experience a lot more than 7.5g every time you jump off a low wall, but thats a smartass answer and I don't think the question was about that.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
8th Jun 2006, 11:58
yes, on a regular basis. Just do a lot of grunting & straining:sad:

B2N2
8th Jun 2006, 17:08
My claim to fame is pulling 7 G in a glider.
back when I was young and stupid (not too long ago) we used to do this stuff all the time. Fly with a buddy and see how far you can get.
Didn't pass out although vision was totally gone.
We made it that far by doing a lot of practice runs so you get used to it.
Wouldn't really recommend it to anybody though.....

wombat13
9th Jun 2006, 08:52
Stupid question time...............

What g do you experience when intentionally spinning, say, a Grob 115?

The Wombat

kluge
9th Jun 2006, 08:59
you are not pullng g - therefore 1g

PPRuNeUser0172
9th Jun 2006, 11:56
B2N2 To use a great Top Gun quote as it is wholly fitting "coughBULLH!ITcough"

Of course you did sweer heart, what glider, what speed were you doing to achieve such a high g load?

used to fly with a buddy and see how far you could get

whatever floats your boat mate,

boo and then you woke up.

Regards

DS

Megaton
9th Jun 2006, 12:18
Greyed out many times and blacked myself out a couple of times (dual - I hasten to add). Use to sit in back for Hawk airtests + 8g -3g no speed jeans - absolutely miserable :) You do get used to it after a while though. Mask sliding off your face or the git in front heaving hard on the stick every time he saw you lean forward so your head gets stuck between your knees!

B2N2
9th Jun 2006, 13:11
Sanchez, I'll pick up the glove on that one..:mad:
http://www.segelflug.de/vereine/wershofen/Flugtag/Rueckblick/Flugtag04/Bilder/ask21_sturzflug.jpg

SCHLEICHER ASK-21...
From the Schleicher website :
http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/englisch/e_main.htm
I quote:
The versatility of the aircraft is further enhanced by its aerobatic capabilities. Maximum g-loads of +6.5 and -4.0 (for speeds up to 97kt) make the ASK 21 suitable for the entire training syllabus - including spin training.

back when I was young and stupid
Thank you.

Mark 1
9th Jun 2006, 13:22
Stupid question time...............
What g do you experience when intentionally spinning, say, a Grob 115?

If you'd like a pictorial answer to your question go to http://www.rv-4.de/

then to videos and trudelerprobung(4.3MB).

There's a big g-meter top right in the panel - it goes a bit below 1 as you stall and enter, oscillates about 1 as the spin settles and then goes up, of course, as you pull out of the dive.

Edited to add - you'll also experience lateral g-forces which don't show up on the g-meter

PPRuNeUser0172
10th Jun 2006, 22:23
B2N2

My question asked what speed you were doing to achieve such a high loading in a glider, thanks for posting the link but I am well aware of what a K21 is, having flown several times in one;). As your quote so aptly describes, its maximum g load is +6.5 whereas you claim to have pulled 7. So back at you fella, what are you trying to tell me, that you bust both the Vne and the maximm g limits for sh!ts and giggles, or more likely as I suspect that your are talking out of your @rse.

Now where you going to find a link to talk your way out of that one?

:mad:

Milt
11th Jun 2006, 02:18
We didn't have g meters in the Mustangs but the g we enjoyed maximising to the pre stall buffet was when a break was called to forestall an incoming firing pass and, with vision seriously impaired, still be able to see the tracers missing. Tended to make you "cut a few washers".

The reverse break to try to counter attack had one's vision right back to grey-out. It must hasve been good for the heart muscles.

Vedeneyev
12th Jun 2006, 14:33
I've been told before that it's not the overall size, but it's the length that's important:

Sneeze=2.9g
Cough=3.5g
Hopping off step=8.1g
Plopping down on a chair=10.4g

Here (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/medicine/1281111.html?page=3&c=y)

EC Does It
12th Jun 2006, 14:40
We didn't have g meters in the Mustangs

Milt, you win. We are not worthy etc. etc.........

B2N2
18th Jun 2006, 19:40
From the factory website:
Even when flown dual the ASK 21 has a stalling speed of only 65 km/h (35kt) – quite remarkable considering that the aircraft is certified for a maximum speed of 280km/h or 151kt

We would dive the airplane to 220-240 km/hr roll in bank and pull.....
So that is well below Vne.

I am well aware of what a K21 is, having flown several times in one

So that makes you an expert ?

I don't feel that I need to explain anything else to you Sanchez,
for the THIRD time:
back when I was young and stupid

PPRuNeUser0172
18th Jun 2006, 20:44
B2N2

I didnt claim it made me an expert, why so defensive!!!??? Just dont see the need to post links to other websites, as they dont strenghten your case, in fact matey they just make you look like more of an @rse.

Vne is 151 kts so what, you cant use more than full stick deflection above 97kts (Va) due to the possibility of overstress and excessive aerodynamic loads, but hey I am sure you knew that, and you keep banging on about how the max g limit is 6.5, you have even posted in a link, so my point is why did you pull 7, as you claimed?

Is busting limits your thing.................? speaks volumes about your credibility as a professional aviator. Did you perform your little 'excursion' in a club glider, or did you own it. I hope you did, either that or fessed up on landing and had the appropriate overstress checks carried out. :ugh:

What else do you do for sh!ts and giggles? Would love to know, as long as I dont have to be in the same piece of airspace as you.

Oh and in answer to the original question, yes I can withstand 7.5g