PDA

View Full Version : Cadet Pilot/FO - Line Training

THRILLSEEKER
5th Jun 2006, 13:18
Don’t want to seem dumb but... (Opens one self up for abuse)

What is meant by the term Line Training / ground school?

Is this a part of the 'Type Rating' or separate to the aircraft type you are going to be working on?

I know that as a cadet pilot once selected for an airline you undertake a JOC course / sim sessions and then proceed to line training, but it is what line training actually is that I seem unable to find specific information on.

I thank you in advance

Thrillseeker :ok:

DB6
5th Jun 2006, 13:51
Not a dumb question at all. On joining an airline you undergo what is sometimes referred to as 'base training'; this is ground school on the aircraft type and simulator training including engine failures etc which gets you an instrument rating/aircraft rating on that particular aircraft type - the type rating. Once that is complete, armed with your type rating, you then get into a real aircraft with real (unsuspecting) passengers and a training captain and learn how to fly the actual routes with all that entails - this is line training culminating in a line check, passing which enables you to fly with normal captains.

Pilot Pete
5th Jun 2006, 20:19
On joining an airline you undergo what is sometimes referred to as 'base training'; this is ground school on the aircraft type and simulator training including engine failures etc which gets you an instrument rating/aircraft rating on that particular aircraft type.

Not sure if it just me, but all the airlines I have flown with/ trained with refer to Base Training as the circuits in the aircraft type that you have just done the Groundschool and simulator training on........I've not heard of the groundschool and sim being referred to as Base Training before.

PP

future captain
5th Jun 2006, 20:30
Groundschool is just that, its studying about the aircraft (sim sessions aswell). Like a Type Qualification (TQ). Once you complete that then you fly circuits followed by line training, with a line training captain. The amount of sectors you will do in total for your line training would vary on your experience whether you are a cadet with min hours, or an experienced JAR 25 etc.

THRILLSEEKER
6th Jun 2006, 07:15
Thank you all for your replies, the fog has cleared now :ok:

Denti
6th Jun 2006, 08:51
The cicuits have to be done on your first type rating only though, after that its a simulator type rating and the first actual landing can be made on normal revenue flights.

BitMoreRightRudder
6th Jun 2006, 10:10
Yup I'm with PP, base training to me = circuit bashing.

The way it works at my airline on a B737 (A319 very similar) - Type Rating: Consists of 2-3 weeks groundschool. Groundschool does not involve the simulator. Then move on to Fixed Based Sims, followed by Full Flight Sims, culminating in a License Skills Test (LST) which includes your multi-pilot IR if it is your first type, can act as a renewal if not. Once that is out of the way it is Base Training (great fun) and then a period of Pre-Line Training groundschool, typically a week. Then Line Training, Line Check, then you can relax and go down the pub.

Also don't know if what Denti says is accurate for every type-rating. There were a few guys on my TR who had other jet ratings and were still obliged to complete the circuits.

Pilot Pete
6th Jun 2006, 18:17
There were a few guys on my TR who had other jet ratings and were still obliged to complete the circuits.

Yep, I have changed from 75/767 to 737 in the last year and I was required to do minimum 4 circuits.....

PP

Denti
6th Jun 2006, 20:09
Might have to do with the way you do your training and in what type of simulators. Since JAR its possible to do zero flight time typeratings so your first actual flight is with SLF on board, of course companies can allways choose to do more than the absolute minimum. As far as i know though lufthansa uses the zero flighttime way of typeratings over here.