PDA

View Full Version : VB Flight DJ579 Engine problem during climb

wrxflame
5th Jun 2006, 05:25
Hi all,
I have spent the last 20 minutes searching the site for any details and came up blank.
Does anyone know more details about the following incident involving a Virgin Blue 737 flight DJ579 Canberra to Adelaide last Friday. I know in the scheme of things this may be a insignificant event but I'm hoping you can help a passenger who was on that flight.

A friend at work (Gray) was sitting over the wing (isle seat) and just gave me the full story a few minutes ago and I said I'd post something here to get more details. He said that VB provided not update for passengers as to what the problem was and he was curious.

His version of the story goes something like this: Flight far from full, all normal during take off then about 90 seconds, maybe 2 minutes into the climb he hears a very loud bang and instantly an awfull smell enters the cabin, plane immediatly takes a level/nose down attitude. A lady next to him can see the failed engine and screams out that flames are coming out of the engine. Now some smoke in cabin and no word from Captain, understandable give circumstances, but silence was defining for my friend. About 2 minutes pass and the Captain advises of the engine problem, reassures the passangers and advises an immedite return.

The most prominant thing now was the lack of any engine sound at all with wind noise standing out in Garys mind and the worry that they have no engine power, my guess was one or both would have been ideling. The crew turned the plane around and proceeded to conduct a perfectly smooth landing, rolling to a stop with no reverse thrust or from what Gary could tell, little or no use of the "good" engine. The cabin breaks out in a few cheers and clapping from relief and job well done.

Gary noted that when the crew applied power to taxi the a/c to the gate, it shuddered and vibrated badly which I guess surprised me as I would have though they would shut down the faulty engine and only use the good one with little or no problem....just one of the questions I guess.

I love to pass on an update to Gary if anyone knows more it would be appreciated.

He also passes on his appreciate to those involved for getting him home.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Should I have posted in D&G?

PottsyFlyer
5th Jun 2006, 09:48
G'day,
I haven't heard anything about this but from the symptoms you have described I am going to take a guess and say its a bird strike. Sounds like they may have hit a high flying bird. The bad smell could have been the smell of burning flesh. I heard of a piper warrior that flew through a flock of birds, some got stuck in the engine bay, and it smelled terrible. I'm not sure if big jets would suffer from this effect. The smoke in the cabin sounds a bit odd, not sure what that is. The vibrations when taxying indicate that some of the fan blades may have been bent or they could have been missing altogether. An Ansett 737 few years ago hit a bird out of Melbourne but they continued to Adelaide. During the taxi the engine vibrated heavly when power was supplied. The vibration was found to be caused by the bent fan blades in the engine. I hope that this helps:) :)

lomapaseo
5th Jun 2006, 13:02
As PotsyFlyer suggests

Pretty standard report for a bird ingestion on takeoff.

Well within the pilots training and expected safe outcome.

jondc9
5th Jun 2006, 13:36
is it possible the engine problem did not require a full shutdown of the errant engine? after landing the pilots may have given that engine a bit of power to see what the symptoms were.

of course it is possible that both engines ingested birds, that they both kept running ( perhaps one at reduced power) and the vibrations were, as another poster indicated, an out of balance fan due to damage?

either that or a jolly jumpback (sp?) got toasted?

j

Thor Nogson
5th Jun 2006, 13:40
after landing the pilots may have given that engine a bit of power to see what the symptoms were.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to get the passengers off the aircraft before such a procedure?

Apologies if that seems too careful!

TN

jondc9
5th Jun 2006, 13:45
thor

of course ...especially if they were to do a full power run up...but perhaps since the engines made it to a safe landing the pilots felt they could add a bit of thrust up to the point vibrations felt bad.

I did not mean to indicate that the pilots would have done a full power run up with passengers on board.

I recall one full power run up on a 767 (nothing to do with birds or this scenario) just the mx crew on board and BAM, the engine blew up ( uncontained failure) and took a good part of the wing with it...it was not to fly again!

wrxflame
5th Jun 2006, 23:57
Thanks for the updates and suggestions, bird strike does seem to be the culprit.

It's a shame that know one knows about the incident, or if they do they are not saying anything ;)

Capt Claret
6th Jun 2006, 08:28
wrxflame

A post on Dunnunda will probably garner more informed response. Many Dunundan's don't venture out into the wide world. :p

As for Now some smoke in cabin and no word from Captain

Aviate
Navigate
Communicate.

No point telling the folks what's happening as it unfolds and losing control, is there?