PDA

View Full Version : Is Huddersfield open?

jayemm
4th Jun 2006, 11:25
I wanted to fly to Huddersfield next week, but on ringing 01484 645784 for PPR I get no response. Is Huddersfield still operating?

DaveW
4th Jun 2006, 12:13
NavBox Proplan provides a couple of additional mobile numbers: 07971 830230 / 07830 269006.

[Edited for typo in second no.]

MyData
4th Jun 2006, 12:35
Definite activity there yesterday as I drove past. A Diamond TwinStar on the apron which flys in occasionally.

VP8
4th Jun 2006, 13:24
Deffo open as I was at my folks last week which overlooks the field and threre was activity:ok:

Veeps

jayemm
4th Jun 2006, 13:35
Thanks. I've made contact now. Definitely open. The gentleman I spoke to was very relaxed about things - quite a refreshing surprise!

Whirlybird
4th Jun 2006, 15:41
When I flew in there last year it was a nice, friendly, relaxed little place. Enjoy! But look out for turbulence on final for the West facing runway, whichever it is.

BFMD
4th Jun 2006, 17:22
I've heard down the grape vine that its recently been bought by a Russian (who flys a Twin Star) who's looking to lengthen the runway and develop the airfield considerably. It'll be great to see if it is true. The airfield's in lovely surroundings and is excellent for an afternoon out.

bencoulthard
4th Jun 2006, 19:39
The guy with the twin-star seems as english as me. As far as extending the runway goes, theres a road across 1 end and a quarry at the other. I think this may be chinese whispers.

The field was/is owned by Jamie Whitam who as far as I know hasn't sold it. I'll keep my ear to the ground and keep y'all informed.

Ben

BFMD
4th Jun 2006, 20:26
Cheers Ben, It did seem a bit far fetched when I heard it.

QNH 1013
4th Jun 2006, 21:23
Flew in there yesterday in a taildragger. Noticed that there is now a quarry at the side of the runway as well as before the threshold. They don't have a displaced threshold for nothing. Grass and tarmac both in good condition.

Them thar hills
6th Jun 2006, 21:05
Interesting profile but I bet you haven't flown a Flying Flea !
Crosland Moor will get smaller before it (if at all) gets bigger gain.
Just for now the quarrying will affect the field immediately to the south west of 25, rather than the runway itself.
Eventually, the west end will be quarried, losing some of 07.
Not all doom and gloom, and a very interesting place.

Just never land on the threshold of 25 ! (or any runway)
:cool:
TTH

jayemm
7th Jun 2006, 20:17
I flew in there yesterday on business in Huddersfield:
1. What a great area to fly in. Great views of the moors, the valleys, northern towns n'all.
2. Amazingly close to Huddersfield town centre (2.1 miles) and yet on the airfield you feel as though you're in the middle of t' countryside
3. I found landing on 25 trickier than on the hump at the Scilly Isles! Some considerable sink over the quarries making it one of my more firm landings
4. Magnificent Terminal Building, with make your own tea and coffee, biscuits and all sorts including comfy chairs, and differential landing fees. If for leisure just £3.
5. Recommended to others and I'll be going again.
PS. down the road from the airfield they're filming "Where the heart is" whatever that is. I thought they were travellers at first!:rolleyes: