PDA

View Full Version : Schiphol the only Cat IIIc certified?

lazy80
4th Jun 2006, 00:50
Is it so that Schiphol airport in Amsterdam is the only airport in the world that is certified for ILS Cat IIIc landings?

ETOPS
5th Jun 2006, 09:42
Is it so that Schiphol airport in Amsterdam is the only airport in the world that is certified for ILS Cat IIIc landings?
It may well be - but most modern Airliners are certified to CAT111B as visual reference is needed to taxi clear of the runway. A bit difficult in zero/zero..:confused:

susoal
5th Jun 2006, 11:51
:E As far as I know there is no CAT IIIC airport certified anywhere in the world.

BizJetJock
5th Jun 2006, 15:47
Apart from the problems of taxying clear, there is also the issue of how do the fire trucks find you - unless you assume that the flames burn off the fog:eek:

vincent van gogh
5th Jun 2006, 18:17
hello,

google "catIIIc airport" and you will find that there are more certified airports.

rgds Vince

susoal
5th Jun 2006, 18:24
hello,
google "catIIIc airport" and you will find that there are more certified airports.
rgds Vince

Like I said before,, No commercial operator/nor comercial airport is cat IIIC certified....

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Jun 2006, 18:25
<<there is also the issue of how do the fire trucks find you >>

Dead easy - ground radar. At Heathrow it used to be a requirement during controller training that exercises were carried out for precisely that purpose. During the night AFS vehicles would be directed around the airfield by controllers using the ASMI -Aerodrome Surface Movement radar. The fire vehicle would have its windcsreen blanked so it was "IMC" and the driver would respond to instructions such as "approaching left turn.. start turning left now... tighten the turn", etc. One night I successfully put a fire engine through a pair of engineering steps which hadn't shown on the radar! That's back in 1972; they must have more sophisticated methods nowadays.

chevvron
6th Jun 2006, 17:44
HD - was it you who put the AFS through a line of oildrums in about 1970?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Jun 2006, 18:04
No, that was just before my time!

Right Way Up
7th Jun 2006, 11:59
<<there is also the issue of how do the fire trucks find you >>

<<<<Dead easy - ground radar>>>>

Would that be a definition of irony if you survived the crash to be knocked down by the fire trucks sent out to save you? :ouch: