PDA

View Full Version : spinning

Kaptain Kremen
3rd Jun 2006, 12:19
Hi y'all,

Been reading up on the "instructors who refuse to spin" thread.
Maybe the fear of it all going wrong has put some off regularly spinning. Anyone out there had any problems whilst spinning, or a student causing a few extra beads of sweat?!
I know that spinning is not part of the PPL sylabus, but i try to encourage it in my teaching, even if just as a demo. So far, touch wood, no student has panicked or anything on me.... I bet that's not the case for everyone though.:eek:
KK

Aussie_Pilot
3rd Jun 2006, 12:46
Spinning is a very hard and preety dangerous manouvere plus your phisic will be in an adding stress so i reccomand only expert pilot to try eventough could be very fun for more of us...

greeners
3rd Jun 2006, 17:30
Sorry AP, don't understand your banter. :confused:

On the original question, if you teach enough students spinning then you will see most mistakes! In the Bulldog just a small amount of inadvertent aileron input can get the rotational rate up quite nicely, and separately the aircraft will go high rotational if the stick is not held back against the stops. On the latter the FI follows through to ensure that the stick is brought fully back (and kept back), unless deliberately demonstrating the hi-rot spin in which case we start 3000' higher.

The Extra is rarer for studes to mess up the spin recovery as the large control surfaces ensure a pretty rapid and predictable reaction. Most common error is being slow to centralise the rudders after the spin has stopped, in which case the aircraft usually spins immediately in the opposite direction, often turning an academic exercise into a genuine "whoops I need to recover from an inadvertent spin!"

I've rarely had students freeze in erect spins, but forgetting what to do in inverted spins is not that unusual.

As with teaching Unusual Position recovery, some studes are initially slow to get the sequence of events right, but most get it right within a few sorties. One chap I flew with last year was unusual in that he could recite everything about the recovery word perfect in S+L flight, only to turn to jelly as soon as the horizon moved somewhere unusual..

Runaway Gun
4th Jun 2006, 14:12
Perhaps some instructors aren't confident about spinning, or haven't been taught properly (or at all).

I recommend they all do a course in it at a reputable school, in a proper type.

Then, and only then, should they demonstrate it. :=