PDA

View Full Version : Non-expiring Permit to Fly, Exemption and Certificate of Validity

Morris Oxford
1st Jun 2006, 15:52
Aviation Law Exam

The BMAA NPPL Microlight Training Syllabus - Ground Subjects Aviation Law refers to "Non-expiring Permit to Fly and Certificate of Validity" and, "Non-expiring Exemption and Certificate of Validity" on page 21 under Permits to Fly and Exemptions.

Can someone please point me to where these are defined, or offer the correct definition - I am struggling to find this in Cosgrove, Pratt or the BMAA Guide to Airworthiness Procedures.

(It's the Non-expiring bit I need help with).

:confused:

Thanks
Morris Oxford

Mike Cross
1st Jun 2006, 16:26
You need Article 11 of the Air Navigation Order 2005 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF).

The CAA and EASA have gone for the sensible option of making C of A's and Permits non expiring. However in order for the aircraft to fly it needs a valid Certificate of Mantenance Review (C of A) or Certificate of Validity (Permit). These certificates do expire.

This is not dissimilar to your PPL which, even if unexpired, is not valid for flight unless it contains a current Medical Certificate and current Class Rating. (All we need now is some joined-up thinking to make the PPL non-expiring as well)

Mike

Morris Oxford
1st Jun 2006, 21:56
Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply, Mike Cross, much appreciated.:ok:

DubTrub
1st Jun 2006, 22:55
make the PPL non-expiring as well
It used to be...well mine is anyway. Age, I suppose.

Mike Cross
1st Jun 2006, 23:19
Mine is too, but the one before wasn't (if you can remember that far back). So, since I passed my GFT:-

1. We have had an expiring PPL
2. We have had a non-expiring PPL
3. We have had an expiring PPL

Quite what purpose has been served or what benefits have arisen from the changes is anybody's guess.

Mike

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jun 2006, 06:42
Are you using an up to date syllabus?, 'cos if you 're not somebody's missed a trick - the "exemptions" were documents issued by the CAA for "grandfather rights" microlights that hadn't met any airworthiness standard. The last of them were withdrawn about 1991 (possibly a little earlier, and they have no validity now.

The non-expiring permit to fly is what replaced it (and was always used for microlights designed around airworthiness requirements in the first place). It is very simply a document allowing an aeroplane to fly, which itself hasn't got an expiry date, but has to be validated annually by issue of a "Certificate of Validity" (a small piece of very thin paper reminiscent of a sheet of loo paper). The CofV is issued usually by the BMAA, after the aircraft's annual inspection and check-flight.

G

Morris Oxford
2nd Jun 2006, 22:01
I've just checked the syllabus currently available for download here (http://www.nppl.uk.com/Syllabus/NPPL%20_%20Microlight%20_%20Rating%20Syllabus%20Version%202. pdf) - it still refers to "Non-expiring"

Morris Oxford