PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Portugal - Vilamoura or Faro

bcfc
31st May 2006, 20:31
I'm off to Portugal next week for a few days R&R and wanted to see if I could get a bit of flying in. Just an hour or so with an instructor to handle the radio and help show me the interesting bits around Faro/Vilamoura. I'm staying in Quinta do Lago

Any recommendations ?

Thanks
-bcfc

tonyhalsall
1st Jun 2006, 09:33
I think you will find that Vilamoura is closed and Faro will be complicated.

For a bit of an easier time try Gerry Breens place down near Lagos.

Microlights, floats and aerobatics I think.

Sorry don't have full details to hand but it is an informal strip and seemed most pleasant when I have visited.

EDIT - Found LINK

www.gerrybreen.com

wsmempson
1st Jun 2006, 11:41
I went to stay with my brother in law last year at Pria de luz , just to the east of Lagos. I want to keep current (I got my ppl the previous year). I tried the aerodrome at Lagos, but the owners wwere away on hols, so I went on up the coast to Portimao aerodrome.

There was a very nice guy there called Carlos who hired out a/c as well as instructed; a pair of 172's and a TB10 were on offer. I flashed my freshly minted JAR PPL, and he tossed a set of keys to a 172 in my direction. I insisted that he check me out, show me how a constant speed prop worked and how to get back (details, little details - life is diferent in warmer climes.)

About 140 eu per hour wet, if memory serves. Have fun!!

Halfbaked_Boy
1st Jun 2006, 13:12
Make sure you check out the golf course there if you are into that kind of thing! And for a nice beach, walk seaward and over a big wooden bridge/walkway (this can be seen on approach for RWY 10 if you're on the left) - some big waves in that area! And Albufeira is definetly worth a visit (including the beach!) for the beautiful rock formations along the coast. As far as flying goes, I didn't have a licence the last time I was there, so I'm afraid I can't offer any recommendations

Have a good time, Jack.

bcfc
2nd Jun 2006, 21:55
Thanks for the replies :ok:

bcfc
12th Jun 2006, 13:02
Just thought I'd report back on this. I had a great time in Portugal (highly recommended destination) and had an hour in a Quantum 912 with Gerry Breens Algarve Airsports outfit. Got a bit of a shock when I first arrived to see 40+ microlights of various description all preparing to depart. At first I thought this must be the biggest flight training setup I'd seen until it transpired it was a French fly-in :)

A relaxed crowd but very professional with 2 flexwings, an Acro Sport, an x-air and an X-air with floats. While not my first time in a flex-wing, it was my first in the front seat and we treated it as a lesson. As a result, I've majorly caught the microlighting bug now.

Anyway, certainly would recommend these guys to anyone venturing down that way this summer.

-bcfc