PDA

View Full Version : Yoke mounting a GPS296

soay
31st May 2006, 13:19
Is it possible to use the mounting bracket that comes with a GPS296 on the yoke of a recent model C172S (see picture)?

The only place I could find to clamp it was the bottom of the right hand grip. It was useable, but I had to constantly balance its weight with my left hand, which made it harder to judge when in trim. The clip obscuring the DI in the picture can easily be removed, but I tried it on the passenger side, which did not have a clip, and all that plastic sticking up in the center got in the way.

Any suggestions?

http://207.44.204.37/documents/yoke.jpg

Morgo
31st May 2006, 14:47
personally, I would forgo the yoke mount and instead get a suction mount. Place it in a convenient place on the screen and away you go. More of a headsup location and less likely to stop your scan across the sky.

Longbow55
31st May 2006, 15:13
Did it come with the dash mount? Would be an option in the center or there abouts.

soay
31st May 2006, 15:41
personally, I would forgo the yoke mount and instead get a suction mount. Place it in a convenient place on the screen and away you go. More of a headsup location and less likely to stop your scan across the sky.
I'm not at the airfield, but I can't visualise anywhere on the screen that would not cause the view out to be obscured. Anyway, would a suction mount be strong enough in turbulence?
Did it come with the dash mount? Would be an option in the center or there abouts.
Yes, but that is attached with a double-sided adhesive pad, which is not practical when you're renting the aircraft. Incidentally, I placed the extension antenna at the bottom of the screen, behind the compass, which caused it to rotate about 50 degrees, so I wouldn't like to put the GPS anywhere near it.

Letdown
31st May 2006, 16:06
Soay

I currently use a 296 in a AA-5B Tiger and can recommend the dash-mount adapter which came with the GPS unit. It's much easier to position the unit in the center of the instrument panel and use the in-built swivel function to position the screen for best viewing.

The unit is quite heavy, so this approach avoids the problem of trying to balance the unit on the control column.

The only thing to be aware when operating via the dash-mount is the unit & mount can shake free during start-up and shut-down if using the tempory adhesive stickers (the a/c is group owned, so no permanent fixing of dash-mount). The solution, keep a hand on the unit during these times.

Other than that the 296 is a fantastic bit of kit, I'd not be without one.

Letdown
31st May 2006, 16:12
The double-sided stickers are fine to use in rental/group a/c, so long as you make sure they are the removable version ! They are easliy removed post shut-down and leave no marks whatsoever.

I think the permanent stickers are black and the removal versions grey, but don't take my word check before applying !!

soay
1st Jun 2006, 06:10
I think the permanent stickers are black and the removal versions grey, but don't take my word check before applying !!
Interesting. I have one black/white sticker and one that's buff coloured, but no instructions as to which is which. Trial and error could be risky!

This begs the question that if the yoke mount does not fit a C172, what's the point of it?

coodem
1st Jun 2006, 06:19
The reason your external GPS caused the compass to rotate, is because it has a magnetic base.

Ni Thomas
1st Jun 2006, 10:32
I've tried all manner of GPS mounts:-

1) Yoke mount - Yuck!
a) It snacks my feet as I squeeze into the driving seat.
b) It impedes the yoke movement when it interacts with my muscular knees! Follow on comments from those that know of my lean, athletic build and who make snide remarks about obscuring of the screen by the rippling muscles of my abdomen should be discounted. :suspect:
c) I have to look waaaay down to see it, thus spoiling my scan. - If used with the inbuilt aerial, it can lose signal.
2) Screwed in mount on the eyebrow - OK
3) Specially made mount (Dillon) for Grummans - Nicely in the eyeline and solid - Used when going solo. :cool:
4) The Jeppesen bean bag mount thingy (I think they call it a "Friction Dash Mount") - Excellent - Can travel from a/c to a/c to car to lorry to pram to whatever - You can plonk it anywhere - I use it when the whim and fancy takes me and if/when I want my passenger to see where he/she/it is going. Also good for excercising on the apron whilst waiting for the fuel man. :ok:

Your views may vary.

Letdown
1st Jun 2006, 13:56
I had a look at the sticky patches I use and they have light brown peel-off backs and are grey in colour, if that helps.