PDA

View Full Version : Deadheading Toronto-Chicago

QTP
31st May 2006, 10:06
G'day All,

This is my first post. Not sure if this would be better placed in the Fragrant Harbour Forum but here goes........

I'm currently applying for Cathay Pacific, with a view to flying DEFO out of Chicago. However, my family and I would like to live in Toronto. Is there anyone out there who regularly deadheads between Toronto and Chicago? Would you recommend it? Is it practical? Are there adverse taxation implications involved with living in Canada and having a basing in the US? Any help on any of these aspects would be appreciated.

BTW, I currently live in Australia and am married to a Canadian. I'm about to start the ball rolling with my Visa. I'm looking to start flying anytime after Jul '07 (assuming I get a job of course).

dhoonk
31st May 2006, 20:59
There are many Canadian Cathay pilots that live in the Toronto area and commute to their base in Chicago. You can get ZED-fare tickets from Cathay that you can use on American Airlines or Air Canada to commute between the two places. You can also get ID90 tickets on United Airlines (costs more than ZED-fare) to expand your options. The commute is easy.

That being said, Cathay is presently not giving out Chicago as a base for DEFOs. But that does not mean that they will not open the base for more crew in the future.

QTP
1st Jun 2006, 09:26
Thanks for that. How about JFK; I assume similar rules apply. Have they put a freeze on DEFO basings as well? It seems to be the opposite down here in Oz; they're interviewing like crazy right now for DEFO basings in Sydney and Melbourne.

PPRuNeUser0199
1st Jun 2006, 09:32
As far as JFK is concerned I know of one guy who lives in Halifax and works out of JFK and you could do Toronto as well I am sure.

QTP
4th Jun 2006, 09:22
Definitely a possibility then......BTW, I'll be in YYZ for a month on holiday starting 17 Jun. If there's anyone flying for Cathay out of YYZ who likes free beer, I'd love to catch up to discuss the lifestyle etc. Drop me a line if you're interested.